Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

Stan's great. :allears:
"I think we wrecked this place by ordering halibut."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Holy gently caress, Joy. You were in line to win this poo poo. :wtc:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
That might be the most stunning thing to happen on this show in a long time. The frontrunner, if not the projected winner, just walks out.

Pfft, Jason.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Holy poo poo, Joy's outta here.

Stan Lee rocks. He's just like "drat, this is the poo poo right here." :)

Super Chef.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Stan Lee's Hell's Kitchen Avengers

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Well, who's gonna win now?

Joy hosed up big time. And she knows it. :wtf:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

liltimshady posted:

Well, who's gonna win now?

Joy hosed up big time. And she knows it. :wtf:

I guess the favorite now is .... Melanie?

Holy moly.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I can't lie, I may check out of this season if Joy goes. I just don't care about any of the other contestants and there's not going to be a better guest than Stan Lee.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

OmegaBR posted:

I guess the favorite now is .... Melanie?

Holy moly.

I was expecting Scott, Jason, or Melanie to crack like that.

I think it's Rochelle's to win now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

drat, Joy. You were my girl, man. :sigh:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I will be stunned again if Jason makes it to the final two, much less wins the thing.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
This competition was Joy's to lose, but I never expected her to crash and burn so quickly. :sigh:

"I can't believe this is happening."

Their families show up. :rolleye:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

liltimshady posted:

This competition was Joy's to lose, but I never expected her to crash and burn so quickly. :sigh:

"I can't believe this is happening."

Their families show up. :rolleye:

Really. I understand the frustration, but number one rule is to stay quiet, say "yes chef," and get on with it.

Earlier in the episode I think she said something like "story of my life, get so close to something good and then nothing." Well, she's got nobody to blame but herself for this one, unfortunately.

Like I said, Melanie's probably the favorite given her rise recently, but honestly, they're all pretty equal at this point (though I would still put Jason at the bottom.) Predicting Melanie and either Scott or Rochelle, giving an edge to Scott due to his skill recently.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

OmegaBR posted:

Really. I understand the frustration, but number one rule is to stay quiet, say "yes chef," and get on with it.

Earlier in the episode I think she said something like "story of my life, get so close to something good and then nothing." Well, she's got nobody to blame but herself for this one, unfortunately.

Like I said, Melanie's probably the favorite given her rise recently, but honestly, they're all pretty equal at this point (though I would still put Jason at the bottom.) Predicting Melanie and either Scott or Rochelle, giving an edge to Scott due to his skill recently.

The sad part is that she knows it. The fact that she was the frontrunner is even sadder.

Ramsay said it best: It's about composure, and she lost it big time. Scott seemed to learn that lesson tonight.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I hate show speculation (seriously, loving HATE it) but I have to ask to see if I'm imagining things: did Joy's exit seem contrived to anyone else? She had this season in the bag, hands down. Without getting all :tinfoil: in here, the conversation between Joy and Ramsay just seemed so... rehearsed. Like something came up off screen and Joy wasn't able to honor the commitment of the prize. The other chefs seemed genuinely surprised, but I can't believe Chef Ramsay wouldn't talk to Joy one on one and convince her to stay, like he and the producers knew of Joy's decision to leave before taping the episode and then manufactured a good way for Joy to leave, while still maintaining the drama and tension of the show.

I thought it was pretty obvious that she was being groomed all along this season to take the show when it came down to the final two.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

You have to consider all the things we're not seeing, and running people as ragged as what this show does has a tendency to make people snap. This just happened to have come at the worst time for Joy.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Even with all that, that seemed to come out of nowhere.

She had punishment but it's not like she was having a particularly hard time.

It wasn't even a big problem either, just don't bring the drat pan up until the garnish is up. That's it.

This was "I ain't no bitch" levels of insane.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

My :tinfoil: thought was when right after Joy left and Ramsay is telling everyone that they're down one person and going to have to bounce back stronger and better than before, so they can have a great service! I took that to mean "We've already eliminated one contestant and don't want to wring out a second one with a terrible service, so I'm going to chill out and the producers are going to stop loving with the gas lines."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Eh, I thought it was believable enough. She got flustered, walked away from him, and said she was done. Then he chased after her to save face and affirm that he was deciding she was done as she stripped away her jacket and started upstairs.

Reminded me of when Nilka got eliminated mid-service in season 7. She kept messing up and Ramsay told her to leave. Then he kept saying it as she wasn't leaving fast enough and she screamed that she was going. At that point he followed her to the hallway and told her to take her jacket off (and she emotionally tried to protest it and wouldn't leave the kitchen.)

Then again, when Tennille talked back in season 6 and told him he was crap, then said "gently caress you" to him twice as she was leaving after being told to, he chased her down and they had an argument face-to-face until she agreed to keep her mouth shut, at which point he told her to get back in there if she could hack it.

I guess if Joy had turned around and gotten in his face about it, she might have been able to stay. But she took her jacket off voluntarily and had already made her decision. It's gotta be extra rough considering she was part of a 20 contestant season and lasted that long.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dovetaile posted:

He can be but I found his constant whining that one time he recapped Masterchef to be such a turn-off that it's kinda soured me on him.

You should read what he wrote after Josh killed himself. When the story broke the first thing the Masterchef producers did was called the season 3 contestants and order them not to talk to the press. Ben Starr seems to have a lot of legitimate grievances with how the show is run and clearly states them.

Kazmarov
Mar 5, 2009
This post references the handy Wikipedia chart for this season, which helps give you an idea of who's been good or bad over the course of the whole season.

So I assume this is unprecedented. People have quit, given up due to minor injury, or get canned in the middle of service, but in 18 episodes Joy had never even been nominated for elimination.

You would assume that Scott, with six nominations, would be the one to call it a day since he's consistently struggled. Joy was almost invisible during the service portion of episodes because she was too competent to get major attention.

I'd go with Melanie and Rochelle as the final two. Jason has been surprisingly consistent, even though it seems unanimous that he's a jerk and incredibly annoying (his misogyny is Anton-level, he just sucks at cooking less). Ten losing services, only one nomination. Though I had Scott pinned early in the competition, he's generally been in the bottom two chefs since they hit the halfway point.

Rochelle lacks confidence in herself (as it's been said, she seems to be in the wrong reality show), but usually in the face-off the simpler menu wins. So her lack of high-class cooking experience isn't actually that big a deal.

Melanie has the ruthless mentality, and has been built up as a cutthroat and savvy contestant. Sure, she could still bomb, but the editing seems to run against that.

Then again, Joy's bombing was completely out of the blue.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So we're all agreed that from now on, every service in Hell's Kitchen needs to have Stan Lee at the chef's table commenting on the action.

And next week's VIP/secret service thing teased in the trailer is going to be their families, right?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Like... it was sort of believable? I guess? Like Joy minus Kayshia removed her center and she lost her poo poo over Ramsay being as condescending as he always is?

Whatever, congrats to the inevitable finale of Melanie and Scott since no one else is in the way anymore. Like I think we're supposed to be behind Rochelle since she sprung back from a major mutilation but she hasn't proved her worth at all otherwise, and Jason's a proven total fuckboob/inevitable medical liability/sexist fuckwit.

Davros1 posted:

And next week's VIP/secret service thing teased in the trailer is going to be their families, right?

Obviously, yeah.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 11, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I hate show speculation (seriously, loving HATE it) but I have to ask to see if I'm imagining things: did Joy's exit seem contrived to anyone else? She had this season in the bag, hands down. Without getting all :tinfoil: in here, the conversation between Joy and Ramsay just seemed so... rehearsed. Like something came up off screen and Joy wasn't able to honor the commitment of the prize. The other chefs seemed genuinely surprised, but I can't believe Chef Ramsay wouldn't talk to Joy one on one and convince her to stay, like he and the producers knew of Joy's decision to leave before taping the episode and then manufactured a good way for Joy to leave, while still maintaining the drama and tension of the show.

But Ramsay did follow her and try to get her to stay but she kept on walking away and refused to even look at him. I think that he certainly thought she had a lot of potential and that he could tell her to calm down but it was clear she gave up and absolutely refused to back down and come back so he just went gently caress it.

In fact I was surprised how long he followed her backstage and tried to talk to her, no way he would have done that for 95% of other HK contestants pulling the same stunt

Joy always had a poo poo temper and talked about it before in confessionals, there's no need to go the :tinfoil: way

pentyne posted:

You should read what he wrote after Josh killed himself. When the story broke the first thing the Masterchef producers did was called the season 3 contestants and order them not to talk to the press. Ben Starr seems to have a lot of legitimate grievances with how the show is run and clearly states them.

Whether he has valid grievances or not, he still comes off as a sore loser and whining a whole lot since he was eliminated and that turned me way off on him too

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

http://benstarr.com/blog/masterchef-a-farewell-perspective/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is why that one woman always wears denim! Its a very interesting read. The stuff he wrote about Josh and his issues is incredibly sad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I didn't want to be the one beat a dead horse, but as much as everyone here complains about Masterchef, this was the most comprehensive explanation of why it's not a cooking show, and how what we see on TV in no way shape or form reflects reality. Plus he also said he had an amazing time, wouldn't change anything, and the winners themselves admit that winning was not a good thing for them.

Apparently, in real life Ben and Christian are amazing friends and Ben was seriously bothered by the way the producers cast Christian as a villain and the insane amounts of hate he got from strangers as a result. When someone you're close too gets death threats and hate mail about how his kids should be taken by social services it would effect how you view the show. In addition real life Krissi and Bri (the vegetarian girl they constantly set up as have a serious feud with Krissi) have a great relationship with each other.

Alterian posted:

This is why that one woman always wears denim! Its a very interesting read. The stuff he wrote about Josh and his issues is incredibly sad.

Yeah, really sad. Josh had struggled with suicide in the past, started working for a NPO that advocated for people to speak out, and once his mental troubles hit he was thrown in jail, couldn't afford in-patient mental care, and was given a probably diagnosis of schizophrenia, shortly after which he killed himself. As far as the Masterchef producers cared their only priority was phoning the previous contestants and ordering them to keep their mouths shut about it to try and minimize any damage to the show. That's pretty hosed up. Starr had a really good summation of the show's possible effects without damning them

quote:

There are other questions that I will never be in a position to entertain. Josh’s family considers reality TV to be the impetus for Josh’s mental disorders. His mother states: “I hadn’t noticed any signs of anything wrong or any mental illness until after Josh completed filming MasterChef. The time he was away filming was extremely stressful on him.” I’m no psychologist, and will never be privy to the inside information regarding the production of Josh’s season and how the producers and their psychologists crafted Josh’s journey. I caution anyone against hurriedly passing this off as being the exclusive fault of MasterChef’s producers or the network.

Josh was at the age when that kind of serious mental disorders can suddenly come on while he was filming the show. I don't believe that it caused it but it was certainly not helpful to him at the time.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Maybe Joy just really, really missed Kashia.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

good read

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Joy leaving was actually pretty shocking. I expected her to win it all.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004
That was a great read and I find it funny anyone actually thinks this show is a legit competition or anything other than an engineered reality show that is tangentially related to cooking ability.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

quote:

In the contract you sign to be on MasterChef, or any reality TV show for that matter, there is a specific clause where you give the show’s producers the right to deliberately misrepresent your character to the audience, even if it causes hatred of the general public towards you. You sign away that right before you even get cast. For those who would be interested in the exact syntax, here it is:

“The rights granted to Producer also include, but are not limited to, the rights to edit, cut, rearrange, adapt, dub, revise, modify, fictionalize, or otherwise alter the Material, and I waive the exercise of any ‘moral rights.’

I understand that my appearance, depiction, and portrayal in connection with the series may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing, or of an otherwise unfavorable nature, may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation, or condemnation, and may portray me in a false light.”

:stare:

It's one thing to 'know' that TV show producers make random cast members / contestants into villains for the sake of ratings, but it's something else for it to be spelled out directly in a contract like that.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Wasn't Caeser's Palace the reward for winning the last season? Once in a lifetime my rear end

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

Wasn't Caeser's Palace the reward for winning the last season? Once in a lifetime my rear end

It was indeed. However, Ja'Nel had failed a drug test and didn't end up taking the position. I guess it makes sense now why they waited so long to confirm the prize for this time.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

It was indeed. However, Ja'Nel had failed a drug test and didn't end up taking the position. I guess it makes sense now why they waited so long to confirm the prize for this time.
Holy poo poo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...50k-salary.html

I guess she got to keep the $250K, which is probably all she wanted anyway.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Ben Starr needs to watch Masterchef Australia then. I get irrationally angry at just how negative everything in MC USA is now, after seeing the cooperation and focus on kitchen skills on the Aussie show. I realize that the Aussie version can do that because it is on almost every day, but even if MC USA had that same schedule, it'd still be nasty and manipulative.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'm surprised at how little is thought of Jason in this thread. Personality aside, it was pretty clear after only an episode or two that he was by far one if the strongest chefs. He's never had a major fuckup and the lone time he was nominated was for purely self serving reasons. I always thought it'd be him and Joy as the final two.

With Joy out I think it's a tossup between Rochelle and Scott to go up against Jason. The editing still focuses on Melanie making dumbshit mistakes, there's no way she'll make it to the finals.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

:stare:

It's one thing to 'know' that TV show producers make random cast members / contestants into villains for the sake of ratings, but it's something else for it to be spelled out directly in a contract like that.

Apparently the only time they got the confessional to make it look like Starr was seriously criticizing another contestant it was cut from 3 separate interviews and spliced together to make perfectly benign comments look like "gently caress this person they are scum"

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Ben Starr needs to watch Masterchef Australia then. I get irrationally angry at just how negative everything in MC USA is now, after seeing the cooperation and focus on kitchen skills on the Aussie show. I realize that the Aussie version can do that because it is on almost every day, but even if MC USA had that same schedule, it'd still be nasty and manipulative.

Um, sorry to break it too you, but it's the same situation. The person who won Masterchef Australia's first season (Julie Goodwin) was the most sterotypical "Aussie Battler" mother they could find, and it was very obvious she was way out of her depth more often than not, but she was easily the best choice commercially.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Rudager posted:

Um, sorry to break it too you, but it's the same situation. The person who won Masterchef Australia's first season (Julie Goodwin) was the most sterotypical "Aussie Battler" mother they could find, and it was very obvious she was way out of her depth more often than not, but she was easily the best choice commercially.

Oh, I know the previous seasons were just more of the same cutthroat, argumentative, backstabbing, assholery stuff that MC USA is known for, but they're apparently trying something new right now, and it seems to be working. Hopefully they'll stick with it. There are no "villains" in this season. I've got a few people I've been rooting for but nobody I'm glad to see gone.