Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well Bryan Cranston won for season 1 and nobody was watching Breaking Bad then.
I was!

Not like all these bandwagoners that show up after season 3 and think it's the bees knees.

I still remember when we were all asking why we needed another show like this when we had Weeds. We were so naive back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Even if it's hard to pick out favorites among the cast, the show itself should have gotten a nod- it's one of the best and most assured first seasons I've ever seen for a comedy.

Of course there are other problems (not even a technical nod for Hannibal.)

How about no stunt work nominations for Strike Back, Banshee or Arrow? That might be the most ridiculous of all.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

If the last half-season of Mad Men is as strong as this year's then I could definitely see Hamm picking up a bunch of stuff next go around if not this time. Mad Men was loving great this year.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I enjoyed Welcome to Sweden last night. Did anybody else at all watch that, with or without enjoying it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Party Plane Jones posted:

I was just shocked that Daniels won for the Newsroom. I couldn't name a single person who even watched that show over the other Best Actor nominations.

It's because HBO has a shitload of voters. I wonder if they'll all pool for McConaughey. If they don't, I expect Cranston to take it.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

If the last half-season of Mad Men is as strong as this year's then I could definitely see Hamm picking up a bunch of stuff next go around if not this time. Mad Men was loving great this year.

Most people found it pretty mediocre until the last couple of episodes.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Not that I give a toss about the Emmys, but it really says something about the unexpected quality of 2014 TV when I wouldn't mind if True Detective or Fargo beat Breaking Bad's final season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah last year's been great for TV.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

How about no stunt work nominations for Strike Back, Banshee or Arrow? That might be the most ridiculous of all.

Strike Back sent their dudes to South Africa to train with the SAS, constantly, so they would appear as natural and as fluid with the action scenes as was possible. It also had some really good bang bang. Even when you have dudes like critically beloved Alan Sepinwall saying "This show is better than it has any right to be", it was never going to be a show that awards committees got behind.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

Not that I give a toss about the Emmys, but it really says something about the unexpected quality of 2014 TV when I wouldn't mind if True Detective or Fargo beat Breaking Bad's final season.

Well, you shouldn't have to worry about Fargo in the first place since that pounded into the Miniseries category!

(Where it will lose horribly to The Normal Heart instead.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xeria posted:

(Where it will lose horribly to The Normal Heart instead.)

You just tangentially said something not overbearingly negative about Big Bang Theory, start running before the rest of these guys notice!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Edit: Eh, nvm. Emmy categories are dumb.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 11, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Yeah last year's been great for TV.

I remember around the time of the Breaking Bad series finale there were a bunch of articles about how the golden age of television was ending with it. :laugh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People always gotta be the first to call poo poo even if they're completely wrong. C.f. every thread where posters are falling over themselves to say This Show Is Bad Now.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
The Almighty Johnsons is debuting tonight on Syfy. I've watched all three seasons and I'd definitely recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd80D347iSI

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Glee has killed again.

(Okay not really but still.)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The lead actress in Constantine is being replaced.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow, that sounds like they are re-doing the entire pilot. It's not reshoots for her scenes.

Oh and I guess whatever scripts they had in the pipeline need to be redone as well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It sounds like they are keeping the pilot then writing her out.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for Hemlock Grove? Against my better judgement I've decided to give Season 2 a chance after being incredibly pissed off about Season 1, and I was trying to find a megathread for a plot summary of what happened last season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

2008 TVIV TIME

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know AMC? They're those guys who run that show Mad Men

They're doing some show called breaking bad, it's about a high school chemistry teacher who cooks meth or something?

Personally i don't get why they'd make a show when it's already so much like weeds

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boy, I sure am satisfied + super looking forward to the next seasons of Lost and BSG.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You know AMC? They're those guys who run that show Mad Men

They're doing some show called breaking bad, it's about a high school chemistry teacher who cooks meth or something?

Personally i don't get why they'd make a show when it's already so much like weeds

Even better, it's starring the dad from Malcolm in the Middle :rolleyes:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I heard about Breaking Bad it just sounded super depressing. Like Weeds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MTV okay'ed a 10 hour first season based on the Shannara books:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/shannara-mtv-series-greenlight-jonathan-liebesman-jon-favreau/

I remember enjoying the books back in High School but I can't imagine MTV has the budget to make this decent. Although I did enjoy Legend of the Seeker.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who here is looking forward to season 2 of Friday night lights? I know I am!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I heard they're doing a spinoff of the Office with Rashida Jones' character. It might be set in Indiana?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

sector_corrector posted:

Is there a thread for Hemlock Grove? Against my better judgement I've decided to give Season 2 a chance after being incredibly pissed off about Season 1, and I was trying to find a megathread for a plot summary of what happened last season.

It was a grind for me to finish Season 1. But Season 2 is, so far...good? I'm cautiously optimistic. As I understand it they changed showrunners after Season 1 so I can only assume that's why.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You know what's a funny show? How I Met Your Mother. I hope it keeps running for years!

NBC have Christian Slater on TV! This is gonna be huge!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Heroes is gonna get it right this time, I swear.

Oh, you're still doing that 2008 thing?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God, guys, dexter loving RULES

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
30 Rock is the best sitcom since Arrested Development!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bown posted:

That one's probably still true. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What? Oh were we doing a 2008 thing?

(I probably agree, unless I'm forgetting something. 30 Rock is amazing)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Man arrested development...that shows never coming back, huh?

Do you think they'll at least put out the series on hd-DVD?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
u guys here about that muslim obama winning the primary?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

MTV okay'ed a 10 hour first season based on the Shannara books:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/shannara-mtv-series-greenlight-jonathan-liebesman-jon-favreau/

I remember enjoying the books back in High School but I can't imagine MTV has the budget to make this decent. Although I did enjoy Legend of the Seeker.

The bizarre thing about this move is that they're adapting the fantasy part of the series instead of the probably easier move, which would have been the prequel stuff set in the modern world.

Also the early Shannara books are gigantic rip offs of LOTR.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this? posted:

The bizarre thing about this move is that they're adapting the fantasy part of the series instead of the probably easier move, which would have been the prequel stuff set in the modern world.

Also the early Shannara books are gigantic rip offs of LOTR.

Just the first one, if I remember correctly. Which Terry Brooks even admits, since he said he had never really written before, so he borrowed heavily to use as a framework. Which, you know, is cheating, but whatever. Elfstones of Shannara, the second book, is a pretty big departure from that. Well, moderately big. You still have Elves and a big battle.

But I agree, the later books with the fantasy characters discovering a centuries old A.I. with lasers that attacks them and crazy poo poo like that would be more fun. Or the Running With the Demon books, which were decent but way easier to film/sell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scary ghost dog posted:

u guys here about that muslim obama winning the primary?

I think Obama will really change things for the better! It'll be nice to have a liberal in the white house for a change who won't just pander to corporations and crush our civil liberties like Bush did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im not comfortable with a black president

• Locked thread