Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It's nice to see Jaime play diplomat, but, since Jeyne Westerling doesn't exist (so her escape from Riverrun can't possibly be important) and since the intersection of Stoneheart/Brienne/Fake Hound/Jaime/not-Sansa that was teased at the end of ADWD probably won't happen (due to existing changes), there's not much of real plot importance that's lost with the Riverlands. Might as well have Jaime play diplomat in Dorne.

In terms of audience interest, I'm sure HBO favors decadent, sex-drenched fantasy Spain (Dorne) over generic dreary medieval fantasy land (The Riverlands).

They probably also favor "The Martells do a lot of loving and yell at each other about Vengeance" over "The Greyjoys do a lot of grimacing and yell at each other about rocks", so I'd expect the Iron Islands events to be gutted more than the Dornish ones.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Does anyone who re-reads this terrible series even bother reading the Dany chapters again?

To me, it's the epitome of one and done. It's so disconnected from the main story, and the plot is so inconsequential to what we care about, I can't imagine needing to read the Dany chapters again.

Also, it's really funny how some people have gone to great lengths to defend Dany's story in ADWD with thousands of :words: Huis Clos style long essays about how deep the story and conspiracies in Mereen actually are, and how well plotted and thought out it is. Well, let's say that is true, which I'm still not convinced about, there still remains this simple fact:

It's boring as all gently caress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

During re-reads? Ha, I was skimming her poo poo half way through Clash the first time.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
These books loving suck, GRRM needs to hurry and write so I can finish reading another 3000 pages of this awful garbage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I too only read and post in these threads because I'm a garden variety internet bully.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's too late now to get off the ride now.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

Does anyone who re-reads this terrible series even bother reading the Dany chapters again?

To me, it's the epitome of one and done. It's so disconnected from the main story, and the plot is so inconsequential to what we care about, I can't imagine needing to read the Dany chapters again.

Also, it's really funny how some people have gone to great lengths to defend Dany's story in ADWD with thousands of :words: Huis Clos style long essays about how deep the story and conspiracies in Mereen actually are, and how well plotted and thought out it is. Well, let's say that is true, which I'm still not convinced about, there still remains this simple fact:

While waiting for Feast, I re-read her chapters, because I ended up skimming the first time. Or maybe while waiting for ADWD? I have no idea that poo poo has all blurred together. They were ok. I still can't bring myself to read all that quarth prophesy bullshit though.

I haven't been able to get myself to re-read ADWD. Frankly, I never expected it to ever come out - and once it did, I found it pretty boring. Tyrion chapters were boring as gently caress, introducing characters I didn't give a crap about. I started getting tired of Tyrion's song and dance too - the "smarter than everyone" self deprecating bullshit way he is written. Was there any character growth in those chapters? I seriously can't remember.

Cersei's plot line bored me, and seemed like bullshit - I couldn't believe how neutered the Crown was when Cersei was "arrested". And gently caress the sparrows, they ain't all that.

Stannis / Theon / Winterfell / Onion Knight chapters were cool. Oh wait I re-read the rat-king part once I realized I missed the Freys-In-Pie thing. That was pro.

Hey - as an aside... is there a way to bookmark "last page of this thread"? I basically am bookmarked to page 178 and then click "last post" every time.

how do you fuckers do it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uh, star the thread and go under User Control Panel where your bookmarked threads are kept, then click on "last page"?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It seemed like Tyrion was contemplating suicide with those mushrooms or maybe that was just me projecting while I read it.

Is that growth?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

Uh, star the thread and go under User Control Panel where your bookmarked threads are kept, then click on "last page"?

hrm, that is still just as many steps as I have now. Thanks though - I didn't realize you could "star" threads or that it bookmarked threads on the forum.

syscall girl posted:

It seemed like Tyrion was contemplating suicide with those mushrooms or maybe that was just me projecting while I read it.

Is that growth?

I don't know - does he get some renewed purpose in there somewhere? I just remember him as a self-pitying drunk rear end dwarf, whose life has turned to absolute poo poo. He should have gotten the stone rot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kcroy posted:

hrm, that is still just as many steps as I have now. Thanks though - I didn't realize you could "star" threads or that it bookmarked threads on the forum.

I didn't for an embarrassingly long time but it totally changes how you view the forums. Keep a tab with the bookmark viewer open, F5 it, and keep on top of your favorite threads. I only even open the general forum pages anymore when I'm bored or feel like I'm being insular in what I view.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I don't know - does he get some renewed purpose in there somewhere? I just remember him as a self-pitying drunk rear end dwarf, whose life has turned to absolute poo poo. He should have gotten the stone rot.

Well, I mean he could have eaten the mushrooms and had a painful death and maybe tripped balls while revealing important plot stuff about whores?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

I didn't for an embarrassingly long time but it totally changes how you view the forums. Keep a tab with the bookmark viewer open, F5 it, and keep on top of your favorite threads. I only even open the general forum pages anymore when I'm bored or feel like I'm being insular in what I view.

I follow exactly 1 thread on this forum. Going outside this thread scares me. I only venture out occasionally to see if they updated the wildcards thread. Which btw is a hilarious loving read.

syscall girl posted:

Well, I mean he could have eaten the mushrooms and had a painful death and maybe tripped balls while revealing important plot stuff about whores?

I wish he had done that, and like.. gotten temporary brain damage or something. hosed the pig, killed the girl, spoken to his Father in the ether, slain RomCom, pushed Aegon into the stone zonbies, embraced his inner targaryen, cut off his own hand because he thought it had greystone on it, and came out the other side mean and madder than hell.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

=

I wish he had done that, and like.. gotten temporary brain damage or something. hosed the pig, killed the girl, spoken to his Father in the ether, slain RomCom, pushed Aegon into the stone zonbies, embraced his inner targaryen, cut off his own hand because he thought it had greystone on it, and came out the other side mean and madder than hell.

Well you've got my vote.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kcroy posted:

how do you fuckers do it?

I just navigate to the Book Barn and click the X new posts indicator.

With the SALR add-on, it colours something you've read with green if it's got new posts and blue if not so it's easy to tell if something new has been posted and takes approximately 3 seconds to do.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

I just navigate to the Book Barn and click the X new posts indicator.

With the SALR add-on, it colours something you've read with green if it's got new posts and blue if not so it's easy to tell if something new has been posted and takes approximately 3 seconds to do.

Go to "user control panel" -> "edit options" check yes on "Bookmark threads I post/reply in by default" and then use user control panel for your bookmarks.

You can use SALR and stuff for extras but this is the most basic way to see updates on threads you've read. And you can click the star icon at the bottom of the page to bookmark if you just want to lurk and not post.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Damo posted:

ADWD is just such a weird book.

Folks thought AFFC was bad because it lacked Jon, Tyrion and Dany, the most popular and important-seeming characters

then ADWD comes out and Tyrion's all "Where do whores go?" and Dany's all "But Daaaaaaario!" and Jon gets stabbed, whereas we somehow have fun with Theon "that fucker" Greyjoy of all people

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

ADWD is just such a weird book.

Folks thought AFFC was bad because it lacked Jon, Tyrion and Dany, the most popular and important-seeming characters

then ADWD comes out and Tyrion's all "Where do whores go?" and Dany's all "But Daaaaaaario!" and Jon gets stabbed, whereas we somehow have fun with Theon "that fucker" Greyjoy of all people

I wonder if Tyrions poo poo would have been more tolerable if we didn't have to wait 10 years to read it.

Something that also bugged me - Jon seemed like too much of a character change, he seemed like a different/harder character - which would be ok I guess, but it seemed a bit too absolute at first, and then totally loving crumbled at the end. I think I needed a bit more transition there. Or internal development or something.

Whats up with these serious poo poo posts anyway. Let's get back on topic.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

kcroy posted:

I wonder if Tyrions poo poo would have been more tolerable if we didn't have to wait 10 years to read it.

Of course. A Feast with Dragons isn't that bad when looked at in the context of 'filler that GRRM didn't originally plan on needing'. The problem is that, in almost a decade and a half, all we've had is filler.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Junkenstein posted:

Of course. A Feast with Dragons isn't that bad when looked at in the context of 'filler that GRRM didn't originally plan on needing'. The problem is that, in almost a decade and a half, all we've had is filler.

Have you seen the GRRM? He's had filler, too.

So, is this the part of the thread where everyone gets to grips with the show finishing first? Because the show is finishing first.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rejutka posted:

Have you seen the GRRM? He's had filler, too.

So, is this the part of the thread where everyone gets to grips with the show finishing first? Because the show is finishing first.

I for one welcome our new HBO overlords.

edit: Seriously . It bothered me for a while, but the fact that I have guaranteed closure on this series - that is nice to have. Although relying on HBO for closure may seem ridiculous, my odds are way higher than with the AbsolFucker. Once I know how this poo poo all ends, I can probably stop caring entirely, and patiently wait for the next book to (never) come out.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 11, 2014

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011
Guys, what are you talking about, GRRM can totally finish 2 books in 3 years while under intense pressure from fans and his publisher

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think anyone seriously considered the prospect of him finishing the series before the show finished - that wasn't really on the table. TWOW was all that was talked about there and I would have still bet the house on "no".

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

kcroy posted:

Well, I didn't even start reading the books until after Season 1 of the show, so I didn't have to wait at all for any of the sequels (until now). From my perspective, both the Tyrion and Dany storylines in ADWD were massive letdowns. And I enjoyed AFFC far more than I expected after hearing all the bitching about it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah I finished AFFC only about a month before ADWD came out and I was still like what the gently caress george what the fuuuuuuuuuck. And I even enjoyed pretty much all of AFFC the first time around.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

WhenInRome posted:

Guys, what are you talking about, GRRM can totally finish 2 books in 3 years while under intense pressure from fans and his publisher

I doubt he has 3 years. Given how far the show has taken some characters, how well some plot lines have been truncated, and how poorly Feast and Dance were edited (and how poorly Winds and Dream would be edited if they were ever going to be published) I wouldn't be surprised if the show only lasts two more seasons. They could easily cram what's left of the good parts of Feast and Dance into a season with a good chunk of Winds. That leaves them season six to condense what's left of Winds and Dream.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No way can they cram that into one coherent season - the stuff that happens is somewhat boring, but there's a large breadth of it. If they did it would make for garbage tv, they probably actually have to make it longer and more interesting instead. I'm guessing 4 more seasons but I think it's 3 at a minimum.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

no reason for HBO to want to condense things that far, considering that they make money hand-over-fist off of this stuff.

Even if there's a huge perceived quality-drop, the history of teevee tells us that this doesn't always correspond to a huge profit drop, and HBO cares less about the integrity of the story than they care about money.

No way we'll get the 11-12 seasons GRRM speculated at one point (which was wistful thinking so that he could claim he can finish the series before HBO does), but they aren't gonna do less than 7. The 8-season figure HBO put forward before last season is probably best.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Even if there's a huge perceived quality-drop, the history of teevee tells us that this doesn't always correspond to a huge profit drop, and HBO cares less about the integrity of the story than they care about money.

On the other side of that coin, the show is incredibly expensive- $60,000,000 a season is the figure I keep getting. If there's a fall in ratings, lots of that budget is going with it for the same reason.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If our current pool of idiot TV viewers hasn't abandoned the walking dead at this point I really don't see them giving up GOT.

Edit: The other factor here being HBO doesn't get money from ratings, they get money from subscriptions, and GOT is going to be their cash cow for the foreseeable future. As long as there's nothing else that's doing well that desperately needs their money the budget on this show is going to either stay the same or go up.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 11, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

PupsOfWar posted:

no reason for HBO to want to condense things that far, considering that they make money hand-over-fist off of this stuff.

Well, besides what Kavak said, though, I think there's a difference between a perceived quality drop, and a perceived boring quality drop. Viewers tend to be a lot more willing to forgive the former than the latter. Shows like "Heroes" can attest to that. As much as I liked most of season 4 - and I really did - I was still tearing out my hair waiting for the other shoe to drop on so many occasions. I can't imagine non-readers who didn't know what to expect in the upcoming seasons would react well to it being drawn out.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Feast and Dance are actually the best fit for GoT's 'people talking in a room somewhere' approach anyway.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If our current pool of idiot TV viewers hasn't abandoned the walking dead at this point I really don't see them giving up GOT.

Never said it was likely, just that if it does happen the show's in deep poo poo.

Also can someone give me a breakdown on what went wrong with TWD? I've heard it universally referred to as crap but I'm curious as to why.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Junkenstein posted:

Feast and Dance are actually the best fit for GoT's 'people talking in a room somewhere' approach anyway.

Oh God, the scenes with Sam and Gilly are going to be insufferable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Please don't make me have to watch the show to find out what happens. I've been ever-so-good!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kavak posted:

Also can someone give me a breakdown on what went wrong with TWD? I've heard it universally referred to as crap but I'm curious as to why.

First and foremost the guy playing Rick has been exposed bigtime as someone who can't carry a show like this. He has about 3-4 ways to play a scene and 2 facial expressions in him and recycles them constantly. Other than that...

- No one knows how to write for Rick's son but every season they try a new angle that just makes him confusing and unbelieveable
- Various moments of dubious morality, and not in the interesting way...but in the "Jesus did they really just say X? What?" kind of way
- The vast majority of the episodes since they got to the prison revolve around a theme of "why don't we just kill ourselves if poo poo is this bad"? and they all seem to have different, contradictory and often non-sensical, nihilistic answers.
- Constant attempts to re-create shocking character deaths with characters people don't really care about in ways that are increasingly disturbing and transperant for what they are, which is the emotional equivalent of TV gore porn.
- Actual TV gore porn.
- They ended a season that was all about a confrontation between Rick and a bad guy with that bad guy literally having a temper tantrum where he just murders a bunch of his own people and then runs off into the woods to be seen again next season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know far too many sad sad nerd-people who actually say to me with a straight face "I know it sucks but I love anything with zombies" when it comes to poo poo like TWD and World War Z and Dead Island and other such garbage.

It's very transparent and obvious by this point, and has been for a long while, that the only reason TWD is so successful is that it simply has a captive niche in the market. If there were other straight-faced no-gimmick "zombie apoclaypse melodrama" shows on TV I can guarantee it wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That show was really bad and I stopped after 2 seasons, has it actually somehow gotten worse?

I pointed to one of the characters in the group and was all "so he's the bad guy right" during the first episode, and somehow that took two years to play out.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- The vast majority of the episodes since they got to the prison revolve around a theme of "why don't we just kill ourselves if poo poo is this bad"? and they all seem to have different, contradictory and often non-sensical, nihilistic answers.

So is that something from the comic or do the show writers want their adapted characters to die? Because I can see either one at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The show is also hyper-aware that everyone loves Darryl to the point where they've had other characters wonder aloud about how cool he is and why isn't he the leader.

The tl;dr version I would give is that the show is clumsy tragedy/gore porn at the moment and they and their audience are satisfied with that. They seem way too concerned with plotting towards gory set pieces and dark "isn't humanity just AWFUL?!" moments and when it comes time to do anything else, or time to tie these things into a larger whole...there's no thought put into it.

I think one of the Onion AV reviews said that the shows theme of "Why do we keep doing this?" is a paralel to "why do we keep watching this?" and neither one has a reasonable answer. Which is an even better tl;dr for the whole thing.

Kavak posted:

So is that something from the comic or do the show writers want their adapted characters to die? Because I can see either one at this point.

I don't think the comics seemed all that concerned with the question, they are lot more visceral and a lot less navel-gazing. In the books people don't constantly walk around in a haze of suicidal thoughts because they have poo poo to do, and when they don't, they appreciate it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 11, 2014