Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pidmon posted:

I've only watched my roommate play GTAV but wasn't it billed as a heist game? And the main story had 4 total (one of which you don't even get money from), and it STILL hasn't been patched into multiplayer like Rockstar promised at launch?

Basically if I'm going to be forced to watch him play a boring multiplayer mode it might as well be a heist.

It really is a big letdown in that regard. The game opens up in a heist, the loading screens often stress "Hey heists are a thing!", about leveling up your henchmen and you can also unlock different henchmen by finding them around the city. And yeah, there is 4 heists. Only 2 of them you actually use a hacker for, and I think the driver henchmen only gets used twice as well. The leveling mechanic may as well not exist, it really seems like there would be some sort of crew management that rockstar decided to drop during development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pidmon posted:

I've only watched my roommate play GTAV but wasn't it billed as a heist game? And the main story had 4 total (one of which you don't even get money from), and it STILL hasn't been patched into multiplayer like Rockstar promised at launch?

Basically if I'm going to be forced to watch him play a boring multiplayer mode it might as well be a heist.

Last I heard it hasn't, which is easily the most disappointing thing about the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping it saved for the next gen/PC release.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

JebanyPedal posted:

Last I heard it hasn't, which is easily the most disappointing thing about the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping it saved for the next gen/PC release.

Or just a carrot on a stick they'll constantly use to keep players like my roommate hooked for an indeterminate amount of time on their crappy servers.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's cool that someone in charge of GTA V looked at the guns and the physics and the vehicles and was like, "you know what this game needs? a 45 minute long painfully accurate stevedore shift that will insta-fail if you so much as think of loving around. yeah. yeah, that's what the kids want."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But but but realism :qq:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who plays GTA Online everyday, yea its really, really loving awful. Its pretty dead to, I can never get anyone to join my race lobbies most of the time when I accept a mission invite its just me and some other guy and I haven't bumped into a full free roam lobby in months, all Rockstar has done is add a bunch of content packs with clothing and cars, which you need to buy with in-game money that's kind of a chore to get at times.

But its ok, for the low price of $20 real life dollars, you can get $1,500,000 in game cash. :iamafag:

Seriously, back during launch when it was deleting poo poo left and right, people where doing an early game mission to rack up huge amounts of money fast, Rockstar hot fixed that mission and didn't fix many of the launch woes for about a month, that right there told me where their priorities where at. That poo poo is beyond hosed up, you sold 11 million copies in 2 friggin days and you STILL think of your micro transaction bullshit first.

They keep mentioning heists but nothing's happened yet, and at this point I'm expected to be very disappointed in whatever we get.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In Injustice: Gods Among Us, alternate Batman has a normal costume, but "our" Batman has weird light blue parts.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

WickedHate posted:

In Injustice: Gods Among Us, alternate Batman has a normal costume, but "our" Batman has weird light blue parts.

Cant put my finger on exatly why, but "our" Batman had a really weird looking head. I think they were trying to imitate the sort of motorcycle helmet look of the Nolan films, ended up making him look like a bobble head.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed The Secret World during the Steam Summer Sale and I'm loving it so far - I don't know how I missed it when it came out but the theme and setting are right up my alley, and so far it's been interesting enough that I've even gone out of my way to talk to all the NPCs about all the topics they have available.

The one thing that drags it down for me is how weird it is compared to other MMORPGs. While the basic abilities are all cooldown based like every WoW clone ever, they have extra mechanics that make them a little weirder. Plus, since it's a modern setting and doesn't use a class system, you can't apply the bog-standard fantasy tropes from DnD as a gauge for how things work. If you want to heal, you can't just be a cleric or whatever, you need to get skilled at a healing weapon like an Assault Rifle.

You know, like all those medical assault rifles that EMTs across the country are carrying. Right.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Canemacar posted:

Cant put my finger on exatly why, but "our" Batman had a really weird looking head. I think they were trying to imitate the sort of motorcycle helmet look of the Nolan films, ended up making him look like a bobble head.

I think both Batman designs were pretty lovely which is why I'm glad there are a whole slew of others you can choose from that aren't retarded.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ryoshi posted:

I grabbed The Secret World during the Steam Summer Sale and I'm loving it so far - I don't know how I missed it when it came out but the theme and setting are right up my alley, and so far it's been interesting enough that I've even gone out of my way to talk to all the NPCs about all the topics they have available.

The one thing that drags it down for me is how weird it is compared to other MMORPGs. While the basic abilities are all cooldown based like every WoW clone ever, they have extra mechanics that make them a little weirder. Plus, since it's a modern setting and doesn't use a class system, you can't apply the bog-standard fantasy tropes from DnD as a gauge for how things work. If you want to heal, you can't just be a cleric or whatever, you need to get skilled at a healing weapon like an Assault Rifle.

You know, like all those medical assault rifles that EMTs across the country are carrying. Right.

The other healing weapons are blood magic (which kind of makes sense), and claws. I really like TSW, and its game mechanics, but I'll openly admit that it had to get weird for healing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Joke's on everyone who didn't just buy Payday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Joke's on everyone who didn't just buy Payday.

Except that the 2 real heists GTA5 actually had were both more interesting than anything Payday has to offer? :shrug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Payday is dragged down WAY to much by its grindy nature and unlock system.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

...horrendous back-tracking...

That's what killed Metroid Prime for me. I loved how that game looked. I loved how it played. I loved the enemies that could actually be a very serious challenge. I loved that one or two wrong moves would put you on your back foot, fighting desperately.

I loving hated having to go back and forth and back and forth loving ENDLESSLY. It got to be such a drat drag.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

Haha! Good troll, man!

*thumbs up*

What I will say about Sleeping Dogs is that the cops spawn way too goddamn frequently, and too close to your position (often you'll just see them pop up on your radar, not drive in). Was really annoying to think you're in the clear but then whoops two cops spawn around the corner.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Losing cops in Sleeping Dogs is a thing that is really annoying for me to do, especially on that awful and windy highway.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You don't lose cops in sleeping dogs. You ram them into oblivion.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I really liked shooting out their tires so they'd do the Micheal Bay Car Flip.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Really hard to do that on a narrow path with a big hulking police van.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
For Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, I don't even mind the stealth sections because most of them are mercifully short.

But the part with Agreus is really pissing me off. Don't step on the leaves, otherwise he loving teleports right next to you and one-shots you! It's like the Music Box in the first Lords of Shadow.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Shadowrun Returns' interface feels clunky. I'm trying to select people to talk or buttons on my HUD and instead my character just walks over to wherever I click before the game recognizes what I want. First time I fought the bugs the game didn't trigger the next sequence where I had to go into cyberspace and I had to restart the game twice to get it to work.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Really hard to do that on a narrow path with a big hulking police van.

I understand it's hard to slow down, move in a direction, and then press x/square and towards the car in question twice, but don't blame the police van. The only real issue with outrunning/outramming/using shortcuts to elude the cops is that it's drat near impossible without wrecking your pristine and awesome ride.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

I understand it's hard to slow down, move in a direction, and then press x/square and towards the car in question twice, but don't blame the police van. The only real issue with outrunning/outramming/using shortcuts to elude the cops is that it's drat near impossible without wrecking your pristine and awesome ride.

The problem I was having was that the van was too big to let the police pass by because the road was too narrow and the AI didn't let them go by. Also that fuckin van is rear end to control.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Paper Diamonds posted:

Evade better. It is very possible to hide and watch the cops search far away in the wrong location. Break LOS. Switch cars. Take smaller paths. Climb stuff.
So exploit the AI by hiding/moving into locations it can't navigate? They'll still send officers into the location to look around for you. Bushes only kind of work at lower levels and if they get too close because they wander over to your spot somehow anyway.
The car thing kinda works too, depends on the level of the stars. 1 and 2 will just send a few cars past you, 3+ will just constantly spawn patrol cars (And helicopter/s) in the streets.

What are the other actiony options that isn't

Paper Diamonds posted:

Everybody always says "YOU JUST HAVE TO DRIVE REALLY FAST OUT OF THEIR SEARCH AREA" which is untrue.
Meleeing/shooting with a silenced weapon at any police in the back of the head that's searching around a corner not even facing you when alone will reignite the stars.
There's no crazy chase-ending things to hit like in the Need For Speed games.

Also waiting for a minute for 1/2 stars is bullshit. You only have to hide for a minute/two on the harder Heat levels in Watch Dogs. They're also not bullshit psychic cops that head your location even if they didn't see you move there. At the very least their bullshit crime detecting powers have the shoddy CTos explanation.

The issue isn't the evading of the police itself, it's the lovely AI that stacks against you to rediscover by being unfair or blatantly cheating. Plenty of other games have handled this better.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Yeah GTA V's psychic thought crime cops are litterally the worst. It really made the game a chore.

The worst example of this was when i was on top of a mountain. I wanted to check out the view so i exited the car, and walked over to the edge. I accidentally bumped into some hitch-hiker person standing there. I looked at him, and he took out his phone, and called the cops. One second later i got 1 star and a cop car came rushing up the hill, it obviously spawned right outside my FOV. Cue me hussling back into the car spending 5 minutes trying to avoid the cops instead of enjoying the view.

Mafia 2 had a pretty good system for this. The cops werent psychic, they would head out to the latest place you had been seen doing a crime. If you were fast and effective, and planned ahead, you could easily avoid too much attention.

GyverMac has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jul 11, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

GyverMac posted:

Yeah GTA V's psychic thought crime cops are litterally the worst. It really made the game a chore.

The worst example of this was when i was on top of a mountain. I wanted to check out the view so i exited the car, and walked over to the edge. I accidentally bumped into some hitch-hiker person standing there. I looked at him, and he took out his phone, and called the cops. One second later i got 1 star and a cop car came rushing up the hill, it obviously spawned right outside my FOV. Cue me hussling back into the car spending 5 minutes trying to avoid the cops instead of enjoying the view.
When on GTAO, a mate and I managed to glitch underwater.
We explored an underwater UFO

I accidentally shanked him at one point.
1 star wanted level attained. :downs:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think the worst part of GTAV for me was the fact that some missions were so loving boring and pointless and the only reward for doing them was to progress the story.

The mission where you have to do dock work as Trevor is the one that I remember the most. That missions is so slow, and so boring I kept trying to spice it up by doing things slightly different than the game wanted me to. Every time I tried something different I would instantly fail and have to do it over again. I get that if I simply followed the games instructions to a letter I would be done in 10 minutes instead of 20, but why the hell am I forced to do actual dock work in my game about shooting dudes?

The tow-truck missions were also miserable. Yeah, I get it, you want to inject some back story to this character, but for fucks sake don't have my character constantly bitch about not getting paid, and then have him turn around and do the same thing multiple times before I ever see any money. It doesn't make him an interesting character, it makes him a dumb one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I think the worst part of GTAV for me was the fact that some missions were so loving boring and pointless and the only reward for doing them was to progress the story.

The mission where you have to do dock work as Trevor is the one that I remember the most. That missions is so slow, and so boring I kept trying to spice it up by doing things slightly different than the game wanted me to. Every time I tried something different I would instantly fail and have to do it over again. I get that if I simply followed the games instructions to a letter I would be done in 10 minutes instead of 20, but why the hell am I forced to do actual dock work in my game about shooting dudes?

The tow-truck missions were also miserable. Yeah, I get it, you want to inject some back story to this character, but for fucks sake don't have my character constantly bitch about not getting paid, and then have him turn around and do the same thing multiple times before I ever see any money. It doesn't make him an interesting character, it makes him a dumb one.

The kicker of the tow truck missions: You get the ability to buy the tow truck company... just so you can continue to tow even MORE cars :haw:

Most of the missions in GTA 5 really were like "Oh you want to get paid? Well gently caress you" and you sit there not really doing much until one of the 2 paying heists actually happen. Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions (see which ceo of a company you're about to assassinate, buy a bunch of stock beforehand cause of course you can't buy stocks during the mission, kill the guy and sell the stock).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

The kicker of the tow truck missions: You get the ability to buy the tow truck company... just so you can continue to tow even MORE cars :haw:

Most of the missions in GTA 5 really were like "Oh you want to get paid? Well gently caress you" and you sit there not really doing much until one of the 2 paying heists actually happen. Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions.

What bothered me the most is you couldn't buy all the properties at the end of the game unless you grind for days, or invested all your money correctly at the right times.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The GTA games are bad and people should stop buying them so Rockstar can actually try to remember what makes a good game instead of dumping a billion dollars into marketing and graphics and poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

1stGear posted:

The GTA games are bad and people should stop buying them so Rockstar can actually try to remember what makes a good game instead of dumping a billion dollars into marketing and graphics and poo poo.

Max Payne 3 was mechanically fantastic, although hampered by a dogshit story, atrocious level design, and droll samey encounters, it proves that they can do something wonderful with the tools they have, they just need to learn how to execute things better, like RDR for example, which did practically everything right.
You had great shooting mechanics, and they gave you plenty of opportunity to use it. They had a lot of small features that just made the game more approachable (your horse automatically keeping pace and direction while you were shooting or using Dead Eye, being able to follow NPCs by just holding the gallop button, convenient and simple fast travel, an easy way to get a means of travel at any time by whistling for your horse, etc.), without losing its sense of immersion and realism. A story that was fun and interesting without having a massive host of tedious missions (not saying it was perfect in that regard though, much better than the GTA series by far). A lot to do in the world that actually allowed to visit most places and gave you a reason to do it (the ambient challenges, a lot of them were location specific, a lot of them were challenging and fun). Diversions that were actually fun (poker, the bounties where shooting a posse and stringing the guy up alive was incredibly satisfying, etc.).

So on and so forth. RDR was the one game where they made a cohesive, entertaining, and immersive design that didn't conflict with itself or make massive concessions to an overarching and unachievable ideal like realism, or a vast amount of content.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

Here loving here. I don't know what happened to those guys but the words "lost their way" when it comes to GTA doesn't even begin to describe it.

They are slick as hell with their presentation though. Got to give them that. That's why it sells. To paraphrase the Errant Signal video on GTA IV "gamers seem to love content and polish above all else and you can't tell me that this game is not polished or light on content (even if said content isn't that fun)."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leal posted:

Most of the missions in GTA 5 really were like "Oh you want to get paid? Well gently caress you" and you sit there not really doing much until one of the 2 paying heists actually happen. Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions (see which ceo of a company you're about to assassinate, buy a bunch of stock beforehand cause of course you can't buy stocks during the mission, kill the guy and sell the stock).

I never did them but I read that Steambot Chronicles' stock exchange were a clever way of introducing sidequests. You buy stock from a failing company and do quests for them to improve them. I think they fix the railroads and other utilities in the game.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I stopped doing the hunting missions when I used a weapon the game didn't want me to use. I was given a sniper rifle, but shot the deer with a shotgun and failed the mission. How dare you use a shotgun to hunt animals.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The voice work of the various pirates in AC4, especially the MC, is jowly to the point of distraction. By the end of the game I had to stop myself from doing this at my monitor during the cutscenes.

mind the walrus posted:

Here loving here. I don't know what happened to those guys but the words "lost their way" when it comes to GTA doesn't even begin to describe it.

They are slick as hell with their presentation though. Got to give them that. That's why it sells. To paraphrase the Errant Signal video on GTA IV "gamers seem to love content and polish above all else and you can't tell me that this game is not polished or light on content (even if said content isn't that fun)."

The GTA series is really strange. When a new one is released you have hordes of people talking about how it's amazing and possibly the best game ever made. Then two weeks later everyone who actually liked it has completely forgotten about it and the only people still talking are the people who thought it sucked.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

JebanyPedal posted:

Max Payne 3 was mechanically fantastic, although hampered by a dogshit story, atrocious level design, and droll samey encounters, it proves that they can do something wonderful with the tools they have, they just need to learn how to execute
Max Payne 3 turned Max Payne, a wise-cracking new york ex-cop stuck in noir york city, to the logical conclusion of Joe Don Baker's Mitchell. Unlikeable, tragic, unable to achieve anything meaningful but shootin' a lot of dudes, the story was like eating glass. loving Alan Wake felt more like a sequel to Max Payne than Max Payne 3 did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

gently caress that, you save those for when you actually have money, so when you're freed from the constraints of the story locking poo poo off, or banning you from using certain characters, everyone has 1.5 billion to spend on anything you want. Then, you can finally go nuts.

Why they thought it was a good idea to have you broke as poo poo through most of the game, though, I have no idea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

R-r-r-r-r-realism :qq:

Seriously though this is another thing San Andreas did really well. You were never so broke you couldn't afford to do all the basic poo poo you'd want to do in order to gently caress around, and it wasn't until later in the game that money ceased to be an issue entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

For Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, I don't even mind the stealth sections because most of them are mercifully short.

But the part with Agreus is really pissing me off. Don't step on the leaves, otherwise he loving teleports right next to you and one-shots you! It's like the Music Box in the first Lords of Shadow.

I'm probably the first person to defend LoS2, but yeah, the Agreus is a loving mess. There's no explanation for it, and you fight him immediately afterwards anyway, they just shove a really strict and poorly-designed stealth maze in there for no reason. I'm still not sure how you're supposed to do that section without being caught at least once.