Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
Shoutout to the OP and/or whoever designed the Tempest. I have yet to even be 1-starred or lose more than ~30k gold/PE.

The Tempest: Not Even Once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I was constantly getting wrecked with the Tempest before I switched because some people weren't dropping the giants in the place that says "DROP GIANTS HERE IDIOT"

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
Maybe I'm just lucky? Even when level 5+ giants/other expensive armies get dropped on the map, regardless of whether they're near the giant-maiming funnel, my base wrecks them.

I also looked at others in my clan who use the Tempest and I seem to have built mine sideways (90 degrees clockwise) so maybe that has something to do with it?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I picked this game up while I was away on vacation. Since my shield is about to wear off, what happens when you lose a defensive battle? Rebuild from scratch? Also, is the OP reasonably up to date about which goon clans are open?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
you lose a portion of your loot and dignity each time until you eventually become the hollow shell of a man

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

KernelSlanders posted:

I picked this game up while I was away on vacation. Since my shield is about to wear off, what happens when you lose a defensive battle? Rebuild from scratch? Also, is the OP reasonably up to date about which goon clans are open?

Your buildings all regenerate automatically once you log back in after the attack. Whatever loot they managed to steal (probably all of it* if you're new) is gone, but your collectors will keep on plugging. You'll lose trophies, but those really don't matter until later when you're hunting achievements.

*Attackers can only steal a portion of your loot based on your TH level vs their TH level. See here: http://clashofclans.wikia.com/wiki/Raids under the "Loot" section.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Does anyone have suggestions for a good elixir farming army? I'm Th9 with 200 troop capacity. I have level 2 hogs and minions, level 5 arch/gob/wb/giant/barb/balloons. I don't have valkyries or pekkas yet. I'm sitting right around 2075 trophies.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

morning wood posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good elixir farming army? I'm Th9 with 200 troop capacity. I have level 2 hogs and minions, level 5 arch/gob/wb/giant/barb/balloons. I don't have valkyries or pekkas yet. I'm sitting right around 2075 trophies.

Barch. By far the most efficient. You can sub barbs for giants at th9 if you wish.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Barch is so good, I farmed a million of each elixer and gold last night it was great.

YubYub in spergs has farmed 100 million in like a month like that, but he is addicted to upgrading walls

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Would either of you care to share your barch/bam comp?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

8-12 wallbreakers, the rest equal quantities of archers and barbarians is what I use

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I roll slightly more weighted to archers. for 200 slots I rock 90-100 archers, 80 barbs 12 wbs. 2 heals 1 rage in my spell pool (most people use rage exclusively for barch, but I am a snowflake).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I use 12 wallbreakers, 88 archers, 70 barbs, 30 goblins. (Feel free to swap goblins for more barbs/archers)

No spells.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
8 Wallbreakers, 76 Archers, 68 Barbs, 40 Gobs (or 2, 19, 17, 10 in each barracks)

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a purist, 100 barbs and 100 archers. With empty camps, to perfectly train this army fill two barracks with archers, one with barbs, and one with 10 archers to build first and the rest barbs.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I was about to upgrade to TH5, when I read the OP. Now, I'm planning to max everything first. I've been having success farming these low brackets, but how careful do I need to be to keep my trophy count down?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
4-6 WB
~110 archers
~80 barbs

If I need to I'll use barb king to tank something big like high level mortars or wiz towers that will one-shot groups. I have heals and rages, but I never ever need to use them. In most cases using 70% of the army will get me 1 star almost every time. Every 15-20 mins you can snatch 80-175K of both resources. More if you're patient/lucky.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Don't worry so much about exact troop composition as how many barracks are producing each troop. You won't always use the WBs or all of your other troops, but you will want troops training while attacking, so the numbers may fluctuate between attacks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

KernelSlanders posted:

I was about to upgrade to TH5, when I read the OP. Now, I'm planning to max everything first. I've been having success farming these low brackets, but how careful do I need to be to keep my trophy count down?

I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Natural farming will keep your trophy count at a pretty consistent level . The only time you need to be concerned about it is when you start pushing for the 1250 trophy achievement (which gives you 450 gems).

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
8-10 wall breakers and half/half barbs and archers. If doing BAM, then I'd probably go 20 - 25 minions the rest half/half barbs and archers. I don't use spells if I'm farming for resources.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
4 Giants, 4 WBs, 56 barbs and rest archers.

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
I use 10 wbs 10 minions ~100 barbs and ~80 archers and full heal spells at th9.

I just Queue up my barracks so 2 are making archers and 2 are making barbs and I throw 5wbs in 1 of each type first. You can add more minions and drop some wbs if you don't care about DE and are focusing on elixir only. I've finished all of my elixir upgrades minus a few troop upgrades doing this. I hate farming elixir too.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I use 150 archers and push baby push

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Booties posted:

I use 150 archers and push baby push

I don't like pure archers because they cost twice as much as barbs and because a mortar can one shot archers but it takes two shots for a barb tieing it down for extra time. Also barbs train quicker.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Ceros_X posted:

I don't like pure archers because they cost twice as much as barbs and because a mortar can one shot archers but it takes two shots for a barb tieing it down for extra time. Also barbs train quicker.

Yeah this is all true. I'm just dumb. I started down this path. I can't just not do it.

barb/arch/wb for me is 60/70/10 = 32,000 versus 18,000 for archers. The barbs get things done faster and do have a better health to cost ratio. The 100% archer army needs specific targets that you can snipe, the batch wb can attack a variety of targets.

I will try it out now.

Booties fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 12, 2014

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
Purging UGievArchers at noon EST tomorrow (Saturday).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
http://mkln.ru/clash-of-clans/ is pretty nifty calculator if you are using a composition with lots of different troops and want to optimize the time to create.

psychicattack
Mar 22, 2003

Ask me why I don't punctuate the last sentence of my post
It's simultaneously awesome and hilarious that someone sat down and made that.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

It looks better than Clashing Tools, but doesn't have the revenge calculator which was really really spergy.

For my own barch attacks, I fill up a barracks with barbs, one with archers, and one with goblins and attack abandoned bases with full collectors. My spells are 3x Lightning, so I can drop them on sufficiently full DE storages. Elixir is never an issue.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Recently I've only been attacking with 180 troops because I keep 1 dragon made and 1 dragon pre-trained so I always have one for reinforcement donations.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
110 barbs
110 archs

other troops are too expensive and time-consuming though sometimes i wish i carried wbs with me

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 12, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stereotype posted:

Barch is so good, I farmed a million of each elixer and gold last night it was great.

YubYub in spergs has farmed 100 million in like a month like that, but he is addicted to upgrading walls

Yub is ridiculous. He started around the same time as me and yet he's a TH level above me with all purple walls (at least, he was a couple weeks ago when I left to help out my workmates clan). Where's he at now?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I do 16 giants, 8 wall breakers, and the rest archers.

My giants are maxed out, so they can take a beating for like 2 mins while my archers farm whatever. It's also nice because I can usually 2 or 3 star anything in the 1400-1600 trophy range if I want. I like having the flexibility to get deeper into the base if I want.

I guess it's an "expensive" farming army, but I can't remember the last time I was short on elixir, which is normal at high levels.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Crusher posted:

Recently I've only been attacking with 180 troops because I keep 1 dragon made and 1 dragon pre-trained so I always have one for reinforcement donations.

To me you are gimping yourself pretty hard core here because you have 30 minutes of not being able to use one barracks.

The way I do it is thus:

This is the loadout I run in all 4 barracks. The red box is 50 troops and will get me to full camps - the wizards will start training and usually I notice my troops are full after a minute or two, load the game, flip through bases for three minutes, find someone to hit, raid them for 2 minutes and by then wizards are almost done, resulting in not a whole lot of training time lost for my next raid. I go through and put one giant and one WB in every camp and then fill in archers and wizards (this way if the wizards get done I am not wasting any training time while I flip between barracks).

This lets me donate 16 troop slots every 28 minutes or so without interfering too much with my raiding. I can add in a hog or minion on my dark barracks if I need to or fill the last troop slot with an archer. You don't tie up one barracks for 30 minutes either - plus most people would rather have wizards than dragons because dragons get singled out by AA. Using this I've got my 25k troop donation achievement and have had the most troop donations in the last three clans I have been in (usually around 4k or so per reset). I have been slacking this reset (work is crazy) and I'm still almost to 1700 donations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Does anyone know anything about Bluestacks for Mac? True to form it seems completely useless, and incapable of running most apps (including CoC obviously). The PC version is completely straightforward, but the Mac version seems to be incapable of even installing android apps.

If you search the play store it says the apps "won't work on this version of your application" and if you use the 1 store (I don't even know what that is) it seems to download the app and then it doesn't end up going anywhere.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ExtraFox posted:

Purging UGievArchers at noon EST tomorrow (Saturday).

Don't purge me bro.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

McSpankWich posted:

Does anyone know anything about Bluestacks for Mac? True to form it seems completely useless, and incapable of running most apps (including CoC obviously). The PC version is completely straightforward, but the Mac version seems to be incapable of even installing android apps.

If you search the play store it says the apps "won't work on this version of your application" and if you use the 1 store (I don't even know what that is) it seems to download the app and then it doesn't end up going anywhere.

The short version is that anything that doesn't work, won't work until they're got a whole slew of bugs worked out. I don't think there is a competitor, though, so you might just need to stick it out, or run the Windows version via whatever method you prefer.

CoC is popular with it, though, so I suspect it will be high on their list of apps to get working with it. You might just need patience.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

To me you are gimping yourself pretty hard core here because you have 30 minutes of not being able to use one barracks.

It's not really that much of an interference if I'm spending my time barching. 20 space goes to housing 1 dragon at any given time, my 1 dragon barrack is constantly training dragons so as soon as 20 space is freed up (usually by donation) a new dragon replaces it immediately, then the rest of my 55 space barracks go to barbs/archers. For someone who doesn't attack the MOMENT my camps are full it works well enough. And it's nice because most clan mates only ever expect archers, sometimes wizards. Wizards are probably better in most situations, but a surprise dragon is exciting! And it beats training 5 wizards for 40 mins.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Crusher posted:

It's not really that much of an interference if I'm spending my time barching. 20 space goes to housing 1 dragon at any given time, my 1 dragon barrack is constantly training dragons so as soon as 20 space is freed up (usually by donation) a new dragon replaces it immediately, then the rest of my 55 space barracks go to barbs/archers. For someone who doesn't attack the MOMENT my camps are full it works well enough. And it's nice because most clan mates only ever expect archers, sometimes wizards. Wizards are probably better in most situations, but a surprise dragon is exciting! And it beats training 5 wizards for 40 mins.

I would do some math and other poo poo but if it works for you then more power to you. Sometimes I forget this game is about having fun and not poopsocking to the Nth degree. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

I would do some math and other poo poo but if it works for you then more power to you. Sometimes I forget this game is about having fun and not poopsocking to the Nth degree. :respek:

I turned off my notifications for the game, so I'm probably terribly inefficient. You belong in "Spergs of War" more than I do :negative: