Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

as if any ide maxtors work in tyool 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Luigi Thirty posted:

i have like forty pounds of them, i hope at least a dozen work

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I wondered about this, is there a reason this 'leak' gets so much credibility?

it's possible that the paper has some other information to verify the source but given what i know about journalism it could just as likely be something some bored tosser put together in ten minutes and sold to a gullible journalist

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

atomicthumbs posted:

so wait i can get loads of free cloud storage and all i need to do is leave a computer running somewhere with all of these lovely old IDE maxtors in it? Sign me the gently caress up

so basically wuala then

right?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

so wait i can get loads of free cloud storage and all i need to do is leave a computer running somewhere with all of these lovely old IDE maxtors in it? Sign me the gently caress up

on the flip side the storage is based on everyone else's lovely old maxtors

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Luigi Thirty posted:

I bet my very first hard disk (6 GB Maxtor, 1997 vintage) still works

e: I miss the days when I could debug the Windows 98 startup sequence by listening to the hard disk growl

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

atomicthumbs posted:

something like this was done as an appliance as a kickstarter

https://www.spacemonkey.com/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OSI bean dip posted:

the base licence and hardware is inexpensive

personally i'd advocate just buying palo alto if you want poo poo that works and isn't going to be hobbled in the future

Just cutover to Palo alto this week :whatup:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Captain Foo posted:

Just cutover to Palo alto this week :whatup:

they throw nerd-pandering parties and give away toy light sabers

wouldn't be surprised if every contract comes with a free beard grooming tool

but their poo poo is good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

wouldn't be surprised if every contract comes with a free beard grooming tool

They don't

But the reseller's cutover engineer is a total whomp guy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
president obama was caught eavesdropping, impeach now

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/14565226493/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nobody wants to go see sunny, only bo

proof of the patribarky

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

i searched a line on my bank statement to figure out where i spent $53 at and found someone sharing all their credit card statements and bills from 2005-2013 along with various family photos and videos on an ftp server from their home computer or file server or something

should i tell them that their credit card statements are in google now

that's probably a misconfigured asus ai cloud router, they were spewing everyones connected hd's over ftp if you set home sharing on or smth. upload too. if you're a good guy drop a text file informimg them of this.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

thanks canada post. it also specifies that the maximum is 12

on a related note, i am moving and found out through my gf that the forwarded uhaul e-mail i gave her had a link that signed her right into my account

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OSI bean dip posted:

on a related note, i am moving and found out through my gf that the forwarded uhaul e-mail i gave her had a link that signed her right into my account
if they are successfully privatized maybe stricter controls will be implemented

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

anthonypants posted:

hahahaha sure

e: they may have a terrible website but, at least to me, they've been a very reliable and fast postal system. it's a shame the tories are trying to remove door to door service.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

danish postal service owned until they sold it off to private hands. since then, the rates have gone up & reliability has gone down.

i dont get why govts dont understand that infrastructure absolutely needs to be on govt hands and should not ever be beholden to stock holders.

e: also rail, phone copper, etc

e2: socialize the lot & pay the loss thru taxes, the whole country will be better off even tho some retards may moan

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

tell all the old people their party wants to make them walk down to the end of the street to get their mail in winter and instantly they will turn sides

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

tell all the old people their party wants to make them walk down to the end of the street to get their mail in winter and instantly they will turn sides

exactly what happened a couple years after post danmark (dk postal service) turned semi-private

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but the old people vote for the danish people's party and also the anti-immigrants party, that being the one and same party, which coalesces with the right wing so gently caress the world

:lf:

:argh:

:piss:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

but the old people vote for the danish people's party and also the anti-immigrants party, that being the one and same party, which coalesces with the right wing so gently caress the world

:piss:

don't worry, eventually the right wing parties will remove old people's healthcare and then their base will just die out.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

:piss

if they go out of their way for mail they might cross paths with an immigrant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Acer Pilot posted:

don't worry, eventually the right wing parties will remove old people's healthcare and then their base will just die out.

its gotten so bad that left-center parties are no longer left enough to maintain the status quo here. the big left-center parties have - from a majority position - voluntarily dismantled large sections of the welfare state their own predecessors fought so hard to construct. it literally blows my mind: my mind is kaput

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

despite all my rage
i am still just a rat in a cage

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

danish postal service owned until they sold it off to private hands. since then, the rates have gone up & reliability has gone down.

i dont get why govts dont understand that infrastructure absolutely needs to be on govt hands and should not ever be beholden to stock holders.

somehow America continues to manage not to fall into this trap despite the republicans' every effort to force it to happen.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=140510291304119&w=2

libressl's first release is out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nintendo Kid posted:

somehow America continues to manage not to fall into this trap despite the republicans' every effort to force it to happen.

your postal service is just abot the one thing that works

at least no letter i have received from america has had potholes in it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Denmark is the country with 4 postal services that hire private sorters and mailmen at minimum wage and just ships them crates of mail right

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

yeah but denmark's minimum wage is $20 an hour

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Luigi Thirty posted:

Denmark is the country with 4 postal services that hire private sorters and mailmen at minimum wage and just ships them crates of mail right

that sounds like a thing they would do in holland or germany. we have the old national service and then a bunch of contractors but the old one still has the contracts for most things like ads, most periodicals, govt letters, etc. i mean by far they have the most items go thru there.

i have the no-spam badge on my mailbox so i get physical mail maybe bimonthly (and yet i check my mailbox every day like an idiot)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Socracheese posted:

yeah but denmark's minimum wage is $20 an hour

you can actually get down to 12 usd/hr if you are without qualifications, younger than 18, e: and only work daytime hrs

but then theres the taxes that pay for our obamacare so it works out in the end

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

OSI bean dip posted:

where you moving to m8 this thread is vancouver chat now

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Twenty-Seven posted:

where you moving to m8 this thread is vancouver chat now

just a few blocks away to a bigger place and closer to skytrain. it'll be p chill

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

anthonypants posted:

if i said the name deepak chopra to you, you would probably think of a man who would do a better job running canada post than the one who currently does

why does my new modem not allow spaces in ssids or wpa2 passwords

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

OSI bean dip posted:

just a few blocks away to a bigger place and closer to skytrain. it'll be p chill

which station? i'm a broadway/city hall boy myself

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

if i said the name deepak chopra to you, you would probably think of a man who would do a better job running canada post than the one who currently does

why does my new modem not allow spaces in ssids or wpa2 passwords

despite being in canada the association I have is "GET TO DE CHOPRA"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's slowly happening just like the attempts to privatize the public school system, despite the fact that both are technically constitutionally protected iirc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

minivanmegafun posted:

it's slowly happening just like the attempts to privatize the public school system, despite the fact that both are technically constitutionally protected iirc

it really isn't, privatization of the usps essentially halted long ago, and surprise surprise it means the us now has basicallly the best and most reliable postal service on the planet

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nintendo Kid posted:

it really isn't, privatization of the usps essentially halted long ago
lol if u believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i long for the days when it did cost 3.75 kroner to send a standard letter anywhere in denmark

now its like 8 kroner or something insane like that

(historical exchange rates considered, it was in my childhood 50c and is now 1.50 dollars so, we have indeed gotten the long end of the postal stick)

• Locked thread