Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You just can't beat the PlayStation when it comes to amazing RPGs. Some of my favorites of all time, including, Wild Arms - Alundra - Legend of Legaia - Xenogears - Vagrant Story - Suikoden and many many more are on the PS1. There was a great mix of ARPGs, JRPGs, WRPGs, sidescrolling and isometric games with 'rpg lite' elements. gently caress FF7, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

pc has morrowind, planescape, baldurs gate II, ff7, fallout, etc

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

pc has morrowind, planescape, baldurs gate II, ff7, fallout, etc

I enjoy pc rpg games as well such as deus ex

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

snes has stuff like chrono trigger and earthbound, so it's a hard battle for others

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
PS2 was no slouch either, although it's like, half Atlus games. Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 & 4, etc... but there was also Dragon Quest 8, Shadow Hearts, Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Suikoden 3 & 5 (gently caress S4), and some other poo poo I'm not thinking of right now. It also had some bad Final Fantasy games that sucked.

Still it's probably PC just by virtue of having way more RPGs than any console. All the gold box games, Baldur's Gate, Torment, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Ultima, Wizardry (lol) and... just a fuckton of poo poo.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The Gamecube had Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and what more would you need

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

snes had square when they were good and that counts for a lot

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Which one had Skies of Arcadia

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Device posted:

Which one had Skies of Arcadia

Dreamcast, yo

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i had a friend who swore that phantasy star made the genesis the superior rpg content provider but i never played it and the screenshots i saw seemed lame so idk

also seventh saga was a cool snes rpg.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Dreamcast, yo

Then yes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's definitely PC.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fenrir posted:

Dreamcast, yo
GameCube also had Skies Of Arcadia, but with improvements. It also had Baton Kaito, a true epic

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

2house2fly posted:

GameCube also had Skies Of Arcadia, but with improvements. It also had Baton Kaito, a true epic

Gamecube had less worthwhile RPGs than the dreamcast.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Kazvall posted:

gently caress FF7, though.

AMEN BROTHER

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if ports are fine

the ps2 had all the snes ports of final fantasies and stuff through backwards compatibility, all the great ps1 stuff, and then the huge ps2 library

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
did anyone play this game baroque for the ps2

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

fronz posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU

yes but i wish i hadn't. then i tried getting back into it on wii? wish i hadn't. maybe i'll emulate it so i can wish i hadn't there too

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I love that game. it's pretty ugly because of the half-assed anime style but ican cope with that

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
The genesis had phantasy star 4 but so does the pc now so pc by a large margin

Dec 26, 2012

snes or ps2 imo

fronz posted:

hell yeah i did that game was ownage

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i have baroque for wii but it seems totally impenetrable

Dec 26, 2012

storywise, yeah, get used to that. youre supposed to be wildly confused at the beginning and it makes more sense as you go along but its never going to come into full focus, you have to extrapolate a little

gameplaywise its not terribly impenetrable but may well not be your thing and thats ok

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
n64 had ogre battle 64: person of lordly caliber so it wins

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i have baroque for wii but it seems totally impenetrable

just keep trying the dungeon and talking to people in the town, you'll probably figure out how to "proceed".

we should have "let's play" threads, where by that i mean everyone in the thread plays the game, and also posts about it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

fronz posted:

just keep trying the dungeon and talking to people in the town, you'll probably figure out how to "proceed".

we should have "let's play" threads, where by that i mean everyone in the thread plays the game, and also posts about it.

i was going to make a thread where you play a steam game and make a video or screenshots about your impressions after you get past the tutorial (nobody wants to see the tutorials)

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i'm def gonna give baroque a try again someday, but it's like 4th on my list of wii rpgs to finish.

actually the wii is a really odd system for jrpgs - oopona, the rainfall games, little kings story and muramasa (kinda), arc rise fantasia, chocobo dungeon, tales of symphonia 2 (ugggggh) and that's really it. some stellar games but not many total.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SNES had everything
  • Secret of Mana
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Earthbound
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
  • Legend of Zelda: A link to the past.
  • Soulblazer
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Breath of Fire
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Breath of Fire 2
  • Ogre Battle
  • Brandish
  • Super Mario RPG

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

star ocean 3 for ps2 was pretty cool in a dumb anime kind of way

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah SNES end of discussion

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Think I'm going to have to go with Ps2. It's a shame the ps3 sucked for exclusive RPGs since it was mostly terrible moe anime garbage as far as the eye can see.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PS2 is hard to deny if you count backwards compatibility.

Dreamcast, if it had lasted longer, would have gotten a lot more american releases of sweet jap RPGs. Oh well.

Excuse me while I go play record of lodoss war.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

every console after the snes has been trying to hit this high water mark again, and i don't think it's possible

Yea the bar was set too high. That's when developers cared about the gaymers

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
we didn't get a bunch of cool as gently caress japanese rpgs either:
treasure of the rudras
bahamut lagoon
tales of phantasia
star ocean
shiren the wanderer
lennus 2
LIVE A LIVE
secret of mana 2

i may or may not have a folder with every single snes game sorted meticulously

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Shiren the wanderer sounds like a cool game. Is there a fan translation?

Dec 26, 2012

probably, but theres a ds port so just play that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
don't forget the snes had tactics ogre and it didn't get ported to PSX for a while

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the company that makes Shiren got a huge hardon for that style of game and cranked out a ton of them and they all own

pokemon mystery dungeon is one series but those are hella easy unfortunately

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like radiata stories bc it had some cool joke armor that rendered in cutscenes.

I like ff6 bc you can suplex a train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Action Tortoise posted:

I like radiata stories bc it had some cool joke armor that rendered in cutscenes.

I like ff6 bc you can suplex a train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zExDUoaZPo

• Locked thread