Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The secret to beating HM's story mode is spamming spellcards. Don't even bother with moves, just load up on supers because you can just reuse them every single stage.

I seriously have no idea who thought that was a good idea. They didn't let you do that in SWR and HT for a reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think I ever figured out HM's controls of all things, and some moves just don't really click with me.

a cartoon duck posted:

For me the trick is to actually let the familiar-spawning fairies live a second or two and then shoot'em down with a a youkai shot-type. If you shoot them down before they spawn familiars or pop the familiars with a human shot-type you get significantly less time.

gently caress if I know about scoring in any of the games though.

If it weren't for Blitzblast's contest and dumb challenges I don't think I'd have ever realized scoring existed at all in the games. I remember studying up UFO in particular because drat if it isn't memorization based.

Speaking of UFO, have some terrifying classic art:

Not shown: Starry Night starring the Prismrivers for some reason by the same guy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I didn't realize re-translation patches existed these days.

RIP "Now, sleep with this trauma that will leave you sleepless!"

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 10, 2014

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
My guide to Hopeless Masquarade:
Pick Marisa
Shoot lasers
Hit them with your butt if they get close
Shoot more lasers

She's probably the easiest character to pick up in the game.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Volt Catfish posted:

I didn't realize re-translation patches existed these days.

RIP "Now, sleep with this trauma that will leave you sleepless!"

Who in their right mind would ever get rid of such a great line? :psyduck:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Trihugger posted:

My guide to Hopeless Masquarade:
Pick Marisa
Shoot lasers
Hit them with your butt if they get close
Shoot more lasers

She's probably the easiest character to pick up in the game.

But Miko is the most fun, because of sword-laser.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Clarste posted:

But Miko is the most fun, because of sword-laser.

Hang on, I thought that was Byakuren?

HGH posted:

I don't think I ever figured out HM's controls of all things, and some moves just don't really click with me.

If it weren't for Blitzblast's contest and dumb challenges I don't think I'd have ever realized scoring existed at all in the games. I remember studying up UFO in particular because drat if it isn't memorization based.

Speaking of UFO, have some terrifying classic art:

Not shown: Starry Night starring the Prismrivers for some reason by the same guy.

Who on Pixiv is this from?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm more of a fan of Byakuren's laser-sword, really.

Artificer posted:

Hang on, I thought that was Byakuren?

Miko uses her sword to fire lasers, Byakuren uses lasers as swords.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Miko uses her sword to fire lasers, Byakuren uses lasers as swords.

To elaborate for no reason, Miko has a sheathed sword at her side that shoots lasers whenever she unsheathes it for even a moment, while Byakuren has a vajra (symbolic ritual weapon in Hinduism/Buddhism) that's also a lightsaber.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Artificer posted:

Who on Pixiv is this from?

Hmm, I tried to put a link on the picture but I seem to have messed up. Here's a regular one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

leather fedora posted:

I used to keep extended vowels in everything but lately I've been thinking they may not always be necessary (like in 'youkai/yokai'). However, I try to keep them for names, because 'Yuuka' is different from 'Yuka' (although I make exceptions if it would make the pronunciation to confusing for a non-Japanese speaker).

I support Touhou over Toho though, mostly just to give it distinction, as described above.

Well, for the longest time, I thought it was pronounced as a hard-'u', like :stat: and :wal: laughing. Or the King of Town from Homestarrunner.net

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Are there any Touhou police officers? Like ones who have jurisdiction over Gensokyo and the ability to arrest people?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrPaper posted:

Are there any Touhou police officers? Like ones who have jurisdiction over Gensokyo and the ability to arrest people?

Short answer: no.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 11, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Clarste posted:

Short answer: no.

Hrm, so how do they assure law is upheld and criminals are punished?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A group of crazy people go around and beat up everyone for the slightest deviance, like most police forces.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Long answer: Gensokyo is composed of several of several individual city-states who would never even consider respecting each other's laws. The Human Village is in an uneasy truce with the youkai, the Tengu took over the mountain (which is itself the remnant of a fallen Oni empire) and don't even let outsiders visit. The Underground is filled with outlaw youkai who refuse to accept even the most basic youkai law/tradition. Etc.

I would assume there's some sort of constable in the Human Village, and the Tengu have some sort of regimented military state, but neither would have jurisdiction over Gensokyo as a whole. Conflicts between factions are handled by sending Reimu to beat people up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

DrPaper posted:

Hrm, so how do they assure law is upheld and criminals are punished?

The humans would prob toss troublemakers to the Youkai, and the White Wolf Tengu seem to be the Tengu police.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Pretty sure one of the PC-98 characters was a human cop, actually. Or claimed to be, anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Pretty sure one of the PC-98 characters was a human cop, actually. Or claimed to be, anyway.

Kotohime. But PC-98 characters don't really exist in the story anymore, and it's unclear if they're canon. It's simpler to just ignore them.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

B-but Mima!

:goonsay:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Respect Mima please.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Shiki Eiki Yamaxanadu Is The Law

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Shiki Eiki Yamaxanadu Is The Law

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

DrPaper posted:

There's a judicial system but it's understaffed

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

What qualifications would one need to be staffed?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrPaper posted:

What qualifications would one need to be staffed?

Be a shinigami or oni, probably. She's a judge of the dead, ie: the living are outside her jurisdiction. Unless you're unlawfully immortal in which case the solution is to kill you first and judge you later.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I see DrPaper is already planning his career when he falls into Gensokyo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I would assume there's some sort of constable in the Human Village, and the Tengu have some sort of regimented military state, but neither would have jurisdiction over Gensokyo as a whole. Conflicts between factions are handled by sending Reimu to beat people up.

Most of the time you don't even need to send Reimu. She just kind of shows up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Mitsumoto Jouji seems to have it in his head that Seiga and Kasen are the 'Touhou police'.

I think it was more because he had that uniform fetish for a couple of months, though.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Most of the time you don't even need to send Reimu. She just kind of shows up.

Marisa is always there for the loot aw well. She just knows

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm glad most touhou fandom deals can be explained with "it got someone's dick hard".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Seeking qualified lawyer with at least 6-8 years experience in criminal law to serve as District Attorney for Gensokyo. Must have youkai-hunting license and current magic certification (Shinto preferable, Western accepted).

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Are there any Ace Attorney Touhou fangames/fan-whatever? I mean, either way goes, either just Touhou characters in an Ace Attorney format, or straight up Phoenix Wright having to defend Marisa or somebody in a murder case.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

A Meat posted:

Are there any Ace Attorney Touhou fangames/fan-whatever? I mean, either way goes, either just Touhou characters in an Ace Attorney format, or straight up Phoenix Wright having to defend Marisa or somebody in a murder case.

There's at least one or two games where you play Defense Attorney Aya, but I didn't really care for them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

A Meat posted:

I think there's three of them, but only one has a translation patch and it's really finicky to get it to work.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, the word used for Buddhist magic in Byakuren's profile is also the same word used for legal practice (ie: "law techniques"). So her profile literally says she's a good lawyer if you intentionally misinterpret it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My love of music compels me to ask this question: Are there any of those large Touhou music collections left on the internet? I somehow missed the last ones until the links went dead. I'm still missing the collections 20, 21 and 22, which vexes me somewhat.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If the good cap'm has time to put them up on nyaa, they'll be there. Otherwise I don't think there's any trackers that have the torrents on them anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah god drat it I keep forgetting to upload them. Remind me this weekend, I have to head to work now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

A Meat posted:

I translated the first one and am finishing up the second, although I'm not sure if I'll have to the time to do the rest (Extra, 3, and Festival).

As far as it being finicky, the game itself should work fine so long as your computer's locale set to JP (which it should be if you've played the real Touhou games).