Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Kris xK posted:

Yeah I often run into this problem. Now I just barrel all the crude oil I get and conveyer belt it to the plant complex in my primary base.

Question: for the big babies among us who are playing on peaceful, am I screwed for getting purple beakers?

You can still go hunting, and you'll be attacked in return, they just don't come for your base. So if you didn't go mediveal on them when they were all small you'll have the pleasure of going at mediums and larges with no purple-derived gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Caconym posted:

You can still go hunting, and you'll be attacked in return, they just don't come for your base. So if you didn't go mediveal on them when they were all small you'll have the pleasure of going at mediums and larges with no purple-derived gear.

Bah, okay. It was my first try anyways, so lesson learned.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Kris xK posted:

Bah, okay. It was my first try anyways, so lesson learned.

You're situation isn't unsalvagable. Just a bit difficult. I put myself into a similar spot recently and I found turret walking lasers very effective. If the bases are small, you only need a small number of them, too.

Or, if your dumb like me and set the nest enrichment settings to high and have to take down a 20 spawner nest with worms and big biters with only mk1 power armor and an smg (for some god-awful reason I never bothered to research combat robots), the number of turrets increases a bit. Like, by a factor of ten.

I was victorious in the end, though.:black101:

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
0.10.3 released, but no game-changing alterations

code:

Features:
•Slider input (smart inserter gui, logistic gui) now has an alternative of specifying the value exactly.

Bugfixes:
•Fixed crash when loading game with ScenarioMessage pointing to player
•Fixed that buildings created from damaged items were not repaired by the construction robots.
•Fixed crashes when the crop-cache.dat file is corrupted.
•Fixed crash when simultaneously removing spawner and its biters from script.
•Fixed crash when starting new game with the sound disabled.
•Scrolling for crafting gui and for objects selection.
•Fixed enemy expansions ignoring player bases after load.
•Objective fix in demo level 1.
•Fixed behavior of game.canplaceentity() Lua command.
•Fixed incorrect block detection for rail signals by smaller rail bounding box.
•Fixed MacOSX application short version.

Changes:
•Changed the logistic robot supply strategy.
 For player, robots take just enough items to fulfill exactly the requested amount, so he doesn't get more than he asked for.
 For requester chests, robots take always as much as they can carry and leave it in the chest, so it can get more than requested.
•Consistent stack sizes for guns.
•Lights rendering quality can be set in the graphics settings.
•Configuration option max-texture-size in config file section [graphics]

Scripting:
•API call game.printentitystatistics now takes optional list of entity names that acts as a filter.

Graphics:
•Updated exoskeleton equipment.
•Updated iron and steel axe icons.

Optimisations:
•Faster train movement collision check.
•Optimised smoke update.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No. All it means is that the biters wont launch attacks against you. Theyll still spawn and have bases for you to raid and acquire alien artifacts from , however.

420 circle strafe rockets errday.

Wait till you automate manufacture of arms and etc though. The fun begins.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone have good tips for oil?

I'm trying to figure out how to do oil properly instead of just building more when I noticed a resource was running low. I did some calculations and with 4 oil refineries it would require 1 heavy oil converter and 7 light oil converters in order to turn everything into petroleum. I'm using small pumps right after the storage tanks but I'm still running into issues where the 7 light oil plants are not getting enough oil. Adding another oil refinery seems to fix it most of the time. Does that seem right or am I doing something wrong?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Drevoak posted:

Does anyone have good tips for oil?

I'm trying to figure out how to do oil properly instead of just building more when I noticed a resource was running low. I did some calculations and with 4 oil refineries it would require 1 heavy oil converter and 7 light oil converters in order to turn everything into petroleum. I'm using small pumps right after the storage tanks but I'm still running into issues where the 7 light oil plants are not getting enough oil. Adding another oil refinery seems to fix it most of the time. Does that seem right or am I doing something wrong?

What are you using that much oil for?

I just have one line each for Sulfur, Solid Fuel, and Plastics. Sometimes two for sulfur if my battery production runs low.

Think the only thing that takes plastic is the advanced circuits, right?

Edit: Oh, I get it. Not a lack of oil, trying to balance them.

And lubricant of course.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 12, 2014

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

sloshmonger posted:

0.10.3 released, but no game-changing alterations

This doesnt include 10.1 or 10.2 updates FYI, since I was about to post something about those earlier builds.

In 10.1 they included the following change: Fixes to make assembling machine/lab with burner energy source possible.

Shouldnt that allow pretty much everything the fusion/nuclear mod thats bandied about needs? Except for the huge energy jumpstart maybe.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Bondematt posted:

What are you using that much oil for?

I just have one line each for Sulfur, Solid Fuel, and Plastics. Sometimes two for sulfur if my battery production runs low.

Think the only thing that takes plastic is the advanced circuits, right?

Edit: Oh, I get it. Not a lack of oil, trying to balance them.

And lubricant of course.

I was mainly trying to find a ratio rule with oil like the 1/14/10 steam engine setup.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Looks like the new version broke the rocket defense countdown - there's no timer and leaving the game to run for ten mins does nothing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Caconym posted:

You're still going to get expansion issues with your green circuit factories running into your labs. You'll hit 15-20 circuit factories easy.

Moving the labs should be easy though, at least if you do it now before you happen to build all your refineries next to them or something.
Yeah I built the labs where they are just so they were close and easily movable when the time comes that I need further expansion. They'll probably end up on the north end of the belt and further down the line. In case the tech in the corner didn't give it away, I'm still early-game here, it's just fascinating to watch me get past green tech so quickly when it took me forever on my previous run.

Caconym posted:

Nothing better than loving around with the pipes and suddenly realizing you've got water in your petroleum gas pipes or something. Welcome to tearing out the entire pipe system and starting from scratch. :suicide:
Can't you fix this by cutting off the pipe source and draining them into storage tanks that you can watch fill up, delete, then fill up until all your pipes clear?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Can't you fix this by cutting off the pipe source and draining them into storage tanks that you can watch fill up, delete, then fill up until all your pipes clear?

You'll need a small pump as well, but this is essentially what I did when I accidentally mixed up my pipes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My factories are always disgusting mishmashes of conveyor belts and inefficient, backed up conveyor belts but it works goddammit.

Now, what do robots do? conveyor belts and inserters have worked fine so far

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Breetai posted:

Looks like the new version broke the rocket defense countdown - there's no timer and leaving the game to run for ten mins does nothing.

Mine worked just today after patching. Did you remember to turn it on? You have to open it and hit 'go', and it has to be powered remember.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

My factories are always disgusting mishmashes of conveyor belts and inefficient, backed up conveyor belts but it works goddammit.

Now, what do robots do? conveyor belts and inserters have worked fine so far

Like most things in this game, they work intuitively, don't be afraid to try them out!

1) Build a roboport. Might want to automate boxing up the materials so you can build more later.
2) Set a factory to make Robot Frames. Bots themselves are quick and easy to make by hand, but the frames are annoying. They take the same materials as laser turrets, plus an electric engine, most games I have one assembler that switches back and forth as needed.
3a) Build some Requester Chests (blue)
3b) Build some Logistics Bots
3c) Build some Passive Provider Chests (red)
4) Throw the Logistics Bots on the ground like grenades. It's fun!

Bots will move items from

Active Provider -> Storage AND requests
Passive Provider -> ONLY requests
Storage -> Requests

and to

Storage ONLY FROM Active Provider (and construction bots, and general overflow)
Requests (chests, player, construction bots NOT FROM other Requests.

Lastly, the orange square is 'logistics' and the green square is 'construction'. If two roboports have their orange squares connect, bots can move between them.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What robots do is they move things, considering this is a game that revolves around moving things you can imagine that this might be useful.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Evilreaver posted:

Mine worked just today after patching. Did you remember to turn it on? You have to open it and hit 'go', and it has to be powered remember.

Yup. Clicked on the button, got the message 'ship landing started', but no countdown timer or anything.

e: Haaaang on. It may be because it's a custom map I set up; I went to a previous playthrough's savegame and placing the defense worked. Whoops!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So what's the deal with replays? Every time I open the research menu, the replay immediately breaks 100% of the time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think its a known bug.

Also i tried using the railcar as a chest, and found it would occassionally stop and would have to be restarted. Any idea why or sugfestions to fix?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Man, logistics robots change everything. Holy poo poo.

The amount of materials a lategame factory goes through is utterly incredible. I'm starting to see why rails and stuff are in the game - it's about the only way to get enough copper and iron to feed the beast.

Now I need to figure out how smart chests and inserters work so that I can better control how much stuff I make.

Quick question - is there a way to have a bot factory auto-deploy bots?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Dirk the Average posted:

Man, logistics robots change everything. Holy poo poo.

The amount of materials a lategame factory goes through is utterly incredible. I'm starting to see why rails and stuff are in the game - it's about the only way to get enough copper and iron to feed the beast.

Now I need to figure out how smart chests and inserters work so that I can better control how much stuff I make.

Quick question - is there a way to have a bot factory auto-deploy bots?

You can just use an inserter to place them into a roboport.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Sunblood posted:

You can just use an inserter to place them into a roboport.

Bonus points if you have the logisitcs robots bring them from the assembler to the roboport.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Replicant points if you have logi-bots cart around all the resources necessary to create more logi-bots.

It's not a bad research line to rush into, I find. It lets you move away from buses and belts every which way to an assembly depot near a storage depot for anything that doesn't need gobs of mass-production. And I think you don't have to dip into blue research to get that far either.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Replicant points if you have logi-bots cart around all the resources necessary to create more logi-bots.

It's not a bad research line to rush into, I find. It lets you move away from buses and belts every which way to an assembly depot near a storage depot for anything that doesn't need gobs of mass-production. And I think you don't have to dip into blue research to get that far either.

Factorio: Start Your Own VonNewmann Machine!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

And I think you don't have to dip into blue research to get that far either.
You do because the tech for the chests costs blue.

So here's something I beat the game w/o ever touching. Red and green wires. What the heck are these things actually good for besides adding the "red wire" Minecraft Turing machine ability to Factorio?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DaveKap posted:

So here's something I beat the game w/o ever touching. Red and green wires. What the heck are these things actually good for besides adding the "red wire" Minecraft Turing machine ability to Factorio?

You can make steam engines that only operate when your accumulators are empty during the hour or so that you transition from dirty to clean energy.

You can make inserters only insert a certain number of items into chests - which is mooted by the ability to open/close chest slots.

Although there may be one potential use for them - does anyone know if wires can be attached to roboports?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Is there a maximum bandwidth limit to the bus that anyone has reached yet? I had a feeling that, with one line of copper plates, my copper wire factories weren't getting fed properly, but then I added a few more smelters and that fixed it. Got me thinking though that if I were to expand even further, at some point the copper plates from one belt aren't going to cut it to feed the entire system. Is that where you need to give wires a dedicated plate supply, or decentralize wire/circuit production?

Finally finished my first game. The rocket defense isn't a very fun goal though and I'm glad the developers seem to realise that as well. I didn't even get attacked during the 10 minutes I had to wait. I was actually kinda looking forward to getting a large attack, what with having roughly 200 laser turrets set up and gate-like defenses for my train depot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If you find yourself needing more than one belt is capable of providing use a second belt :v:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Really if your goal at any time isn't to expand demand so that you oh boy oh boy oh boy get to add another belt !!! of copper/iron plates then you need to reevaluate your priorities.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Speaking of that, this is the best I can do on a first attempt to make logic gates and I'm wondering if they can be simplified. I'd love to see any pics of cool logic/automation stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/fn2UL

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You can add a second belt, or upgrade the first belt with a faster belt, or both! Alternately, you can get fast inserters to grab plates along the line and put them into passive provider chests so that your logistics network can get to them.

Remember that you can use splitters to even out the flow of goods to both sides of the belt for more carrying capacity as well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Does anyone (who likes to read the code) happen to know exactly what the floor of output is for a depleted oil field? The game says something like 0.1 per second but I'm curious if that's actually it or if it's some smaller number that isn't represented in the game.

In other words, is it even worth keeping rigs on depleted oil fields? I'd venture to guess "yes" is the answer because some oil is better than no oil but I'm wondering if having 10 depleted rigs vs 1 depleted rig even makes a difference.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

The late game's most dangerous enemy is low fps. I don't know how to get back above 30 fps without just starting a new game.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone (who likes to read the code) happen to know exactly what the floor of output is for a depleted oil field? The game says something like 0.1 per second but I'm curious if that's actually it or if it's some smaller number that isn't represented in the game.

In other words, is it even worth keeping rigs on depleted oil fields? I'd venture to guess "yes" is the answer because some oil is better than no oil but I'm wondering if having 10 depleted rigs vs 1 depleted rig even makes a difference.

Yes, .1 is the "floor". They never deplete all the way, they just slow to a tenth of normal output. 10 depleted rigs are as good as 1 rig operating at 100%. If you're desperate for oil, you can even squeeze more out by using Speed modules in depleted rigs, which makes you get that .1 more often.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It wont help you compared to having actual like, oil , but its better than nothing. With any luck itll let you keep you in enough plastic to make circuits and etc.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 13, 2014

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I keep seeing people throw out wanting roads as something they want in, yet no one has linked the mod that actually does it.

Roadworks
  • Three kinds of pavement - cobblestone, concrete, asphalt, each increasing the speed of cars and player characters by a different amount
  • Special fuel increasing acceleration of cars using it
  • Limestone, new resource used to make concrete
  • Car instruments research that unlocks speedometers and fuel gauges in cars

• Experimental feature: bridges (have to activate it manually in the lua)

While it doesnt do tire gripping/steering like some want and Im always leery of adding one use resources, it does seems like a good start.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

gently caress, I can barely drive my car without hitting something and blowing up as it is, making it go even faster would be a nightmare

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I do like that the mod adds them as 'floors' but the price of the roads is pretty steep, unless "one road" is 3x3 or something.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

gently caress, I can barely drive my car without hitting something and blowing up as it is, making it go even faster would be a nightmare

Exactly this. How the hell do you guys control the car so well that you want it to go even faster?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The trick is to slow down around bends and hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Slow down and shotgun all the trees.

First few times I had a car, I promptly exploded them against my walls because apparently I put the car on-screen pointing straight at my wall instead of away from it.