Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So what was the first match you watched that you really remember? For me it was this goal, when I was 8. I definitely saw football earlier but I don't really remember the football, just being in a stadium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NT6aUwN8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I wondered if that discussion in the german national thread would get it's own thread.

Mine was embarrassingly not too long ago when I walked into a bar and happened to catch Ghana finally score against the USA in the 2010 World Cup

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
My first England memory is that same Gazza goal. I think my first footballing memory in general is seeing all nine goals from Man United's 9-0 win over Ipswich replayed on Anglia news. Good times.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBuoNKPDk2I

:(

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
Dad dropped me off at the park for my first practice of the season when I was 5. I walked home that night.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Wait an earlier one just popped into my head, Dad kicking the ball out back with me and asking me about Uncle Brian. I told Dad that Uncle Brian was better at soccer and Dad said that he could be as good as Uncle Brian if he didn't have a job either.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

And actually the most prevalent time was when I was 7 and Dad picked me up from practice to go to his house, except he must have got his days mixed up because it wasn't Friday yet. We got pulled over on the way to his house and I got to ride back to Mom's in a police car!

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

My dad took me took me to see Sunderland play Tranmere in an evening game when I was 6. It was cold and horrible and I didn't want to be there until we hammered them 5-0. Danny Dichio scored 2 goals and was man of the match and I remember thinking he had a really stupd name. Think that was probably the day I decided football was cool and good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Despite being a filthy American, I played "soccer" as a kid for many years. My memory of anything beyond that was FIFA 97 (FIFA 64) which led me on a path of supporting an EPL team.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4qF0QkcT4

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
When I was 6 our cable sports channel in Canada would air English football every Saturday morning: the first I remember watching was a First Division match between Leeds United and Luton Town. Twenty-odd years later I remember it was between those two teams but cannot recall who won or indeed why it didn't make me hate the sport entirely because come on, being introduced to football through Leeds?

Much more vividly and happily, three years later I was in the stands for our notoriously awful national team to draw Brazil in a pre-WC friendly, and I think that's what made me love the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz6hzutukA

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Who cares about watching football as a kid when you can go outside and kick a ball against a wall as a call for the neighbour's kids to come out and play? :kiddo:

I remember the 1990 WC. I turned 5 later that year and I don't really remember the games but I remember it happening and that I had the (completed) Panini album. My clearest memory is from the '95 Copa America but I was almost 10 by then. I don't have a good memory and I didn't really watch much football as a kid.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I watched a ton of football growing up with my uncles and played the sport, but I can't really remember anything too vividly because I smoked a ton of weed in highschool and killed my long term memory. The first "intense" memory that I have is watching the 2006 WC Final when I was 14. I remember pacing around the room during shootout and my family going loving mental and me being kind of sad because, despite being Italian, I idolized Zidane and wanted to see him succeed.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

My first memory was watching Costa Rica's first World Cup appearance in Italia 90 with my dad and my grandpa in my grandparent's house.

I remember watching our very first World Cup goal by Juan Arnoldo "El Nene" Cayasso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn1LgEmj9Mo

And also the goal that gave us the qualification to the round of 16, Hernan Medford assisted by Alexandre Borges Guimaraes (Celso Borges' dad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNS4kOHio4

I was 7 years old then and now 24 years later I own that same house and am sitting in the very same room where we watched this way back then. RIP grandpa he would have loved and hated Brazil 2014 at the same time (because he was Portuguese).

Coincidentally the black and white stripped uniform that CR wore in Italy was the reason I started following Juventus.

e: just remembered that the pitch invader in the second video is a friend's uncle lol

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Watched like 80% of the 98 WC games, was 8 then brb summer brb nothing to do. Went to sleep after Zidane scored 2 against Brazil in the final, was gutted tbh. Next game I watched was ManU beating Bayern in the CL, did some major lols.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Much more vividly and happily, three years later I was in the stands for our notoriously awful national team to draw Brazil in a pre-WC friendly, and I think that's what made me love the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckz6hzutukA

Literally 20 years ago and I just pumped my fist like heck when we scored, gently caress I love football.

I started watching during Euro 96, and was absolutely engrossed by Klinsmann and Germany. Being from a small town in Canada (no cable, 56k modem for years) I couldn't do much more than follow along with the newspapers and watch the big tournaments when they were on the CBC. But finally, finally, in 2007 Toronto got another professional team after so many years and I had a drivers license and then

and I blew up and did all the moves and found my girlfriend essentially inside the stadium and life is loving beautiful. gently caress everything I saw on lovely grainy terrestrial TV, that goal was real and I was there to see my teams first goal and I have one of those cushions on my wall and nothing else compares, at all.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Mine is that weird shadow at the Estadio Azteca in 1986

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
My earliest memory was Roberto Baggio doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voT5W9Doa-s

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I was visiting relatives of my father that live in Sicily during Italia 90 and after Italy beat Ireland to get in to the semis we drove all around Palermo honking the horn in somebody's tiny fiat panda while waving flags out the windows. I mostly remember the car ride and thinking it was really warm despite it being well after dark, and dad's cousin screaming "Totó!!!! Totó!!!!" after Schillaci scored early.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
Mine is watching with my dad the Mexico vs Bulgaria match of the '94 World Cup. I was 6. I remember Mexico losing, memories that last forever :allears:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
World Cup 94, basically, I think that was the first one for a lot of Americans who are in their late 20s/30s now. I had just gotten into playing the game a few years ago. I chose then to support Germany, watching them sadly go out against the damned Bulgarians.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
This awesome goal. It was a friendly before the '98 WC and I was uh 7 I think. I remember watching qualifier games too but nothing specific.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Def my dad pozing my neg hole during Italia ',90, pretty hosed up, AIDs-Football dad.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

1998, Chicago Fire inaugural season. A win against Colorado at Soldier Field.

I had been playing as a kid before that but I don't really remember much specifically.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Played soccer in the park next to my elementary school. There was a whole field, but it was too big for 8-year olds so we played with two nets that were perpendicular to each other and pretended the pitch took a corner.

One guy got frustrated and picked up the ball and ran through the goalposts NFL style. We mostly hated him, but he owned the ball, so nothing could be done.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Played soccer in the park next to my elementary school. There was a whole field, but it was too big for 8-year olds so we played with two nets that were perpendicular to each other and pretended the pitch took a corner.

One guy got frustrated and picked up the ball and ran through the goalposts NFL style. We mostly hated him, but he owned the ball, so nothing could be done.

And that guy was Albert Einstein.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I think it was that Simpsons episode about Portugal playing Mexico and them passing the ball around and not moving.

I had already been playing for years and there was literally no other soccer on TV.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I grew up without TV and before the days of fast internet and readily available game streams, so most of my exposure to football was through video games or following it in international newspapers, since Canadian papers didn't cover it at all then. And playing at school, of course, though we didn't have organized teams so it was just "play with whoever wanted to at lunch every single day". Then, a lot like Azerban, Toronto FC formed in 2007 and I went crazy, there's still have a TFC poster I got, I think I got it before the team ever played a game, hanging on the wall in the guest room in my mom's house. I didn't live in the city and didn't have easy means of transport, but I tried to attend TFC games when I could and watched as much of their games live or on the internet as I could. Being able to watch TFC games on the internet taught my dumb teenage self that I could probably watch other leagues on the internet as well, and I finally started watching the Premier League regularly, despite having tried to follow it just through the news for years.

I don't know if I could narrow down my earliest footballing memory since I was just attracted to the sport before I even had any ability to watch it, so my earliest memory is probably playing Winning Eleven or something like that.

Scratch that, this thread is bringing back memories. My earliest one is definitely playing football at school at lunch.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vyelkin posted:

I grew up without TV and before the days of fast internet and readily available game streams, so most of my exposure to football was through video games or following it in international newspapers, since Canadian papers didn't cover it at all then. And playing at school, of course, though we didn't have organized teams so it was just "play with whoever wanted to at lunch every single day". Then, a lot like Azerban, Toronto FC formed in 2007 and I went crazy, there's still have a TFC poster I got, I think I got it before the team ever played a game, hanging on the wall in the guest room in my mom's house. I didn't live in the city and didn't have easy means of transport, but I tried to attend TFC games when I could and watched as much of their games live or on the internet as I could. Being able to watch TFC games on the internet taught my dumb teenage self that I could probably watch other leagues on the internet as well, and I finally started watching the Premier League regularly, despite having tried to follow it just through the news for years.

I don't know if I could narrow down my earliest footballing memory since I was just attracted to the sport before I even had any ability to watch it, so my earliest memory is probably playing Winning Eleven or something like that.

Scratch that, this thread is bringing back memories. My earliest one is definitely playing football at school at lunch.

Def read dem words.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Myself, 9 Irishmen and 2 Moldavians watching the 2006 World Cup Final. Everyone freaking the gently caress out about the headbutt and me being a clueless American laughing at the whole spectacle not understanding a goddamn thing.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
First game I remember seeing was this one. My grandmother bought tickets for the entire family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqxup_dqCI

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

My first real memory of football was watching Belgium - Japan in the 2002 World Cup in the big dining room with all the other students in my primary school.

e: On club level it's the CL playoff round between Club Brugge and Dortmund in 2003. We won that one because Butina was mad good at stopping penalties and it was really great. We beat Milan at San Siro in the group stage too that year.

belgend fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 12, 2014

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I have a really old, faint memory of watching the West Germany team play.

The clearest memory I have is watching Colombia vs. Romania in the 1994 World Cup. Romania scored when the commentators had been muted and an advertisement was playing, and none of my relatives / older people who were watching the game realized Romania had scored.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Mine is watching the Euros with my grandfather.
All I remember of the tournament was the Portuguese fullback Xavier handballing a low cross in the box and getting sent off. It was the semi finals Portugal - France in 2000 and Zidane gave France the golden goal victory from the penalty. He had a distinct look being a black dude with blond hair and beard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT0b6v-GEKY&t=77s What I remember is this exact replay.

It is strange that my earliest memory was that late. I didn't care all that much about football back then, but I did by 2002, when I watched every game of the WC.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

My earliest memory was Roberto Baggio doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voT5W9Doa-s

I thought mine was this but i also remember going to see arsenal play newcastle and sitting in the north stand. It was the first football game my dad took me too and i remember it was 2-1. Just looked it up and that game was in november 93 so i was 5 so that was before baggio but that's my second earliest football memory. My english cousins are half italian and i remember how upset they got, when he walked up to take it they thought it was in the bag.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
France-England at the Euro 2004 is the first match I can really remember, I was amazed by the comeback.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
This was the first Premiership game I ever went to. It was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGt8UMHxbgk

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
FA Cup Final 1994. I was in Menorca on holiday and my dad took me into a bar full of English avin it fakkin large to watch it. I was cheering for Manchester United (granddad wasnt there to forbid it), and when United scored a skinhead Chelsea fan looked me, an eight year old, square in the eye and said "You little fakkin oval office."

And to this day, I hate Chelsea more than Manchester United.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My earliest memory is Liverpool losing to Barnsley in the 1997/98 season, watching at my grandma's who made fun of me :smith: I was only 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
It's probably the 94 World Cup, but I didn't actually watch much of it, I just remember it being on in the background while I was outside playing football with my cousins. My first football game was later that year, when my dad took me to see Hearts draw 1-1 with Falkirk.

• Locked thread