Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i'm looking for some horror books to read suggest me some

cosmic horror is best but i'm not picky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

yep came here to post this, gently caress you for having an anime avatar though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

4outof5 posted:

yep came here to post this, gently caress you for having an anime avatar though.

:owned:
:owned:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

4outof5 posted:

lol you baby

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Serious post version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSYu2yW_kw

Widely considered the 'first gothic novel.' This book has some interesting fake-history the author made up in a forward for it which he tried to pass off as real. Because I guess he didn't feel the quality of the work itself was enough to persuade people to enjoy the book or something, which is kinda sad since in hindsight he created a classic.

The book deals with curses, overpowering dread, tragedy, nightmarish unreality bleeding into reality, and an atmosphere so thick you can practically feel the chill of damp castle walls.

The audiobook is public domain but you could also get a library copy and read it too.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 12, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Tons more FREE public domain horror novels on that youtube channel I linked for that video by the way. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA8Bg-tQKShZRZhe610SC-Q

Lots of stuff to go through - including old UK penny-dreadfuls.

And of course, all of HP Lovecraft. Including his masterwork novel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2iSmE129uQ

Elderling
Feb 17, 2007

Other than Lovecraft, for cosmic horror it's pretty hard to beat Thomas Ligotti, though he can be hard to find. Short stories, very Lovecraft-inspired but more contemporary and self-aware, a major influence on True Detective, which was pretty good cosmic horror for a detective show.

A lesser-known horror book, Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon. Couple trying to repair their marriage moves to a small village where people seem to care quite a lot about following the old traditions. Slow burner but gets pretty creepy.

In a similar vein, Robert Marasco's Burnt Offerings is about a family that gets a great deal for the summer, renting a mansion on Long Island for practically nothing. Genuinely unsettling.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
ty for recommendations

i have read ligotti, i actually didn't like teatro grottesco that much. his other stuff isn't available on kindle in australia so i can't read any of the others

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Doom House - the novelization

Serious like, I enjoyed Blood Crazy bySimon Clark.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Algernon Blackwood is a proto-lovecraft in all the good ways and bad ways and most of his work is public domain.

You also have Arthur Machen and the first 3 stories in Robert Chambers novella the King in Yellow.

Phil Niekro fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Kill you're famil- A novel by bendyman.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Your mothers flaps. Its two pages and its horrific.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Druon Antigoon Children's Book is about the dreaded Druon Antigoon, some kind of massive troll!

Look at those poor doomed goons crossing that bridge, walking right into the trolls greedy hands. They never should have left the basement.

Goon lore right here.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
ghost stories of an antiquary
haunting of hill house
hell house
stir of echoes
the exorcist
the dark country
october country
the terror
the house next door
books of blood

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 12, 2014

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
China Mieville - Looking for Jake and other stories has a great contemporary horror story called Looking for Jake in it, and some other stories too.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Duma Key, by Stephen King, is one of my favorite horror/paranormal reads. I can recommend it only if you like long, enjoyably slow paced stories though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Jaunt is creepy as poo poo and you can read it in like 20 minutes. Also The Mist. And Survivor Type.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Not -exactly- a horror story but give it a try if you haven't already. It's one of those "you should've read this by now" stories. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5200/5200-h/5200-h.htm

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Simon Numbers posted:

Kill you're famil- A novel by bendyman.

"A real chiller. If you like being scared you will like this book." - Stephen King

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Jaunt is creepy as poo poo and you can read it in like 20 minutes. Also The Mist. And Survivor Type.

This

Also "The Yellow Wallpaper" is some good psychological horror.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I liked The Ruins by Scott Smith but it's quite possible i'm retarded

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmW_j9IhAA&hd=1

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Most Stephen King short stories are creepy/awesome. Especially the older ones.

OP pick up an early collection of King short stories.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
cujo? I am Legend?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Phil Niekro posted:

Robert Chambers novella the King in Yellow.

This is a good suggestion, give the first story a try at least and see if you like the style. It has some of the Lovecraft-like, "The thing I saw was so terrifying that I can't even describe how terrifying it was! Oh, and then it drove me mad" that I imagine can turn some people off but I think that's kind of unavoidable when you're dealing with the supernatural in horror.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I read the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy and liked it (Annihilation). Kinda like a modern scifi take on Lovecraft. The first and second books are out now and the last one should be out later this year.

It was a fun short read.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I read the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy and liked it (Annihilation). Kinda like a modern scifi take on Lovecraft. The first and second books are out now and the last one should be out later this year.

It was a fun short read.

Yeah the second was p mediocre though

Third comes out in like october

I've already read a lot of the classics like machen and king in yellow and william hope hodgson

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

the fifty year sword by house of leaves guy

also john dies at the end by cracked guy

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
"It" is a book about a space monster who dresses up like a scary clown.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feranon posted:

the fifty year sword by house of leaves guy

also john dies at the end by cracked guy

John Dies is a great read, much better than the movie. I haven't read the fifty year sword, but House of Leaves is the only book that caused me to actually yelp a little bit during a certain part, like how you'd get startled during a film. It was a weird experience.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Harlan Ellison rules. Definitely some cosmic stuff in there even if not all of it's horror

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

John Dies is a great read, much better than the movie. I haven't read the fifty year sword, but House of Leaves is the only book that caused me to actually yelp a little bit during a certain part, like how you'd get startled during a film. It was a weird experience.

I've read that House of Leaves is written unusually with margin notes and upside down pages or something. Wouldn't this make it too disjointed to read digitally? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beige posted:

I've read that House of Leaves is written unusually with margin notes and upside down pages or something. Wouldn't this make it too disjointed to read digitally? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Most people say, when they read a unique book, "I don't know how they'd ever make a movie out of this", but with House of Leaves, I don't know how you could read it digitally, nor could I ever see this book even being put to audio. There's not a lot of 'upside-down' reading, if any at all, but there ARE quite a few footnotes, one which is its own, full story at the end of the book. It's screwy and I would call it a gimmick if the whole thing didn't come together so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Most people say, when they read a unique book, "I don't know how they'd ever make a movie out of this", but with House of Leaves, I don't know how you could read it digitally, nor could I ever see this book even being put to audio. There's not a lot of 'upside-down' reading, if any at all, but there ARE quite a few footnotes, one which is its own, full story at the end of the book. It's screwy and I would call it a gimmick if the whole thing didn't come together so well.

That'll be why I couldn't see it on Google Books. I'll just get a hard copy then. Some people say it's quite affecting.

• Locked thread