Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Max Payne 3 turned Max Payne, a wise-cracking new york ex-cop stuck in noir york city, to the logical conclusion of Joe Don Baker's Mitchell.

i don't think the game that starts with the murder of a newborn baby by junkies is all that light to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

R-r-r-r-r-realism :qq:

Seriously though this is another thing San Andreas did really well. You were never so broke you couldn't afford to do all the basic poo poo you'd want to do in order to gently caress around, and it wasn't until later in the game that money ceased to be an issue entirely.

Hell not even later in the game, do taxi fares till you get like 12k, should take you like 2 hour or so, buy the 7k house near downtown, save your game, head for the horse races, bet your change on the 20 to 1 horse, keep reloading till he wins, do this twice, you'll have like 8 million dollars before you've done a single mission.

And since we're bitching about GTAO, gently caress the character creator, I mean if you can even call it that, just mess around with these retarded sliders till you get something that sort of resembles a human female or male.

quote:

Max Payne 3 turned Max Payne, a wise-cracking new york ex-cop stuck in noir york city, to the logical conclusion of Joe Don Baker's Mitchell.

I'd call Max Payne a lot of things, wisecracking sure as hell wouldn't be one of them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

I'd call Max Payne a lot of things, wisecracking sure as hell wouldn't be one of them.

I suppose you couldn't put wisecracking into the first five adjectives you'd use to describe original flavor Max Payne, however for dark and gritty Max Payne he doesn't even do the occasional one-liner. Plus with original Payne he'd usually be somewhat likable in that he was a man with a purpose and you wanted to see it to the end; versus gritty Payne who can't even go for five minutes without saying "I'm just a gun and I don't care who shoots me..." like he's trying to prove a point while meandering about as the plot expects us to give a drat about damsel in distress no. 95.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Hell not even later in the game, do taxi fares till you get like 12k, should take you like 2 hour or so, buy the 7k house near downtown, save your game, head for the horse races, bet your change on the 20 to 1 horse, keep reloading till he wins, do this twice, you'll have like 8 million dollars before you've done a single mission.

Reloading like that on a console sounds like a hilariously time-consuming process.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

umalt posted:

I suppose you couldn't put wisecracking into the first five adjectives you'd use to describe original flavor Max Payne, however for dark and gritty Max Payne he doesn't even do the occasional one-liner. Plus with original Payne he'd usually be somewhat likable in that he was a man with a purpose and you wanted to see it to the end; versus gritty Payne who can't even go for five minutes without saying "I'm just a gun and I don't care who shoots me..." like he's trying to prove a point while meandering about as the plot expects us to give a drat about damsel in distress no. 95.

i can't tell which game you're describing, seriously.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Flectarn posted:

i don't think the game that starts with the murder of a newborn baby by junkies is all that light to be fair.

Max Payne was entirely aware of its absurd uber-darkness, the fact that it was so over the top depressing to see Max getting constantly ruined by the worst possible things that could happen to him was part of the first two games' shtick.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

Max Payne was entirely aware of its absurd uber-darkness, the fact that it was so over the top depressing to see Max getting constantly ruined by the worst possible things that could happen to him was part of the first two games' shtick.

yeah it's self awareness was really funny and not tedious and obnoxious just like everything else that is bad on purpose

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions (see which ceo of a company you're about to assassinate, buy a bunch of stock beforehand cause of course you can't buy stocks during the mission, kill the guy and sell the stock).

Wait, killing the CEO sends the stock price up? How does that work?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

Wait, killing the CEO sends the stock price up? How does that work?

Missing word. They meant 'buy stock in a rival company'.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alteisen posted:

And since we're bitching about GTAO, gently caress the character creator, I mean if you can even call it that, just mess around with these retarded sliders till you get something that sort of resembles a human female or male.

Do work for two hours and then save scum to start having fun!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdIdDVEEVw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Arguments from popularity are rarely worthwhile but lol at the people in this thread. GTAV and Max Payne 3 were garbage :qq: Dear god. Rockstar doesn't give a poo poo what nerds think about their games that earn them truckloads of cash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

umalt posted:

Only the original game's Max had much in the way of joie de vivre. Max Payne 2 basically had him on a suicide mission against all the loose ends from his previous rampage, to the point where the main villain all but says that Max is so dangerous precisely because he's got nothing to live for. MP2 is one of my favorite games partly because of the way it turns that usual one-man-army action-game-hero schtick inside-out, and also because of all the little subtextual games played along the way - how the television shows are all distorted reflections of Max's own life, how "Late Goodbye" keeps bleeding through in the characters' incidental dialogue, the less-than-subtle Paradise Lost references, etc, etc. Max himself was a dour bastard, but the world around him had turned into this demented metafictional funhouse that managed to be profound and blackly funny at the same time (remember dumping the fake crates on the Cleaners at Mona's place, only to open fire on them as soon as they expressed relief? Hilarious!).

Then Rockstar came along and dumped a great big bucket of their artless grit all over that. I was a little miffed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Only the original game's Max had much in the way of joie de vivre. Max Payne 2 basically had him on a suicide mission against all the loose ends from his previous rampage, to the point where the main villain all but says that Max is so dangerous precisely because he's got nothing to live for. MP2 is one of my favorite games partly because of the way it turns that usual one-man-army action-game-hero schtick inside-out, and also because of all the little subtextual games played along the way - how the television shows are all distorted reflections of Max's own life, how "Late Goodbye" keeps bleeding through in the characters' incidental dialogue, the less-than-subtle Paradise Lost references, etc, etc. Max himself was a dour bastard, but the world around him had turned into this demented metafictional funhouse that managed to be profound and blackly funny at the same time (remember dumping the fake crates on the Cleaners at Mona's place, only to open fire on them as soon as they expressed relief? Hilarious!).

Then Rockstar came along and dumped a great big bucket of their artless grit all over that. I was a little miffed.

If Alan Wake is anything to go by we didn't really miss out on much by them handing it over to Rockstar. They seem to have fallen to the same fixation on being "cinematic" at the expense of actual gameplay, to the point where their next upcoming third-person cover shooter has actual FMVs.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

DrNutt posted:

Arguments from popularity are rarely worthwhile but lol at the people in this thread. GTAV and Max Payne 3 were garbage :qq: Dear god. Rockstar doesn't give a poo poo what nerds think about their games that earn them truckloads of cash.

The "PYF Completely Objective Facts about games" thread is thataway mate.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrNutt posted:

2 cool 4 school.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If Alan Wake is anything to go by we didn't really miss out on much by them handing it over to Rockstar. They seem to have fallen to the same fixation on being "cinematic" at the expense of actual gameplay, to the point where their next upcoming third-person cover shooter has actual FMVs.

I love the first 2 Max Paynes but I could never get into Alan Wake. Part of it was that the combat was more gimmicky than Max Payne. Having to break through each enemy's defense and then shoot them got tedious.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Sardonik posted:

Max Payne 3 turned Max Payne, a wise-cracking new york ex-cop stuck in noir york city, to the logical conclusion of John McClane.

FTFY.

(I still maintain that, while Max Payne 3 isn't that great of a Max Payne installment, it makes for a fantastic last chapter to the Die Hard series. It even explains why McClane shaves his head!)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Max Payne 2 had a pretty conclusive ending too so it really didn't need a sequel. I'm really not a fan of the first game, but 2 is worthy of the praise it gets.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DrNutt posted:

I thought Rockstar's upper management were reading this thread with their heads in their hands, boy is my face red

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All this talk about stories and characters reminds me of a number of gripes I have with basically everything revolving around the story in Titan Fall.

The first is the fact that the story for the game takes place through a series of multiplayer matches. This means that if you want to continue the story for your current faction, but there are not enough players to fill up the next map, then the game (in my experience at least) throws you back to the very first mission over and over until you get lucky. This wouldn't be so bad, but the only way to unlock the titans the game is named after is by completing these campaigns.

The second is the fact that no matter who wins or loses, the story plays out the exact same way. Yeah, it would be incredibly complex for the game to have a branching multiplayer campaign, but it is really annoying to absolutely destroy the enemy team (Sometimes ending the game with over twice their score) just for the story to say "Welp, even though you absolutely destroyed their entire force and stopped them from completing any of their objectives you still lost because of reasons :downs:"

And finally, the story might be the best written thing that has come out since the dawn of man, but I actually cannot pay attention to it as I am a competitive player by nature. In a single player game I can slow down, listen to the in game dialogue at my pleasure, and actually figure out who is who. In this game I'm too busy shooting mans and getting punched by giant robots to pay attention to the multitude of screaming heads in the corner of my screen. I played the game a lot during the 48 hour free trial thing, and the only characters I can recall is a black robot, and some Scottish(?) guy with a knife, and some chick who yells at you sometimes.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

ChaosArgate posted:

The problem I was having was that the van was too big to let the police pass by because the road was too narrow and the AI didn't let them go by. Also that fuckin van is rear end to control.

Shoot their tires out. :ssh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Reloading like that on a console sounds like a hilariously time-consuming process.

Takes 10-20 seconds tops.

kazil posted:

Do work for two hours and then save scum to start having fun!

Its just a dumb trick to get a bunch of money early, hell you can't even use it as ammunation doesn't open up for a number of missions, beyond that all you can do is buy properties. Pointless unless you're gunning for 100%.

Yes, clearly the dumb trick I posted is exactly the same as power leveling in FF12. :geno:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Curse you chests that stop Zodiac Spear from spawning! :argh:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFXII would have been fantastic instead of crap if it cut out 90% of the grinding, made item-farming either non-existant or less time consuming, gave the main characters actual drama and development, and maybe tossed the player some actual pocket change every now-and-then. For three-quarters of the game I was so poor that the only weapons I used were those daggers with the high-evasion bonus.

It's okay for a game to hide a cool weapon in some corner of the world. It's not okay for a game to lock you out of finding that weapon because you flicked a light-switch in a house miles away from the weapon's hiding place. It's arbitrary poo poo like this that makes me think Square Enix obscures important poo poo to sell strategy guides, in this age of Wikis and Gamefaqs, or is this just a Japanese Thing? I wonder what other obtuse design decisions have been made by the game's director.

Also, why have all these exotic races in the game, like moogles, lizard-men and pig-men, if you only get to play as a gang of Aryan humans?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Jul 12, 2014

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Dirt 3

Why would you put unskippable cutscenes in a racing game that has a voiceover basically telling you to "go faster to win" every time?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FFXII would have been fantastic instead of crap if it cut out 90% of the grinding, made item-farming either non-existant or less time consuming, gave the main characters actual drama and development, and maybe tossed the player some actual pocket change every now-and-then. For three-quarters of the game I was so poor that the only weapons I used were those daggers with the high-evasion bonus.

It's okay for a game to hide a cool weapon in some corner of the world. It's not okay for a game to lock you out of finding that weapon because you flicked a light-switch in a house miles away from the weapon's hiding place. It's arbitrary poo poo like this that makes me think Square Enix obscures important poo poo to sell strategy guides, in this age of Wikis and Gamefaqs, or is this just a Japanese Thing? I wonder what other obtuse design decisions have been made by the game's director.

Also, why have all these exotic races in the game, like moogles, lizard-men and pig-men, if you only get to play as a gang of Aryan humans?

I really don't like RPG games that use the "miss the best poo poo in the game" because you did something that you'd have no idea would lock you out of it, or stealing something from a boss. Like the Genji gear in 12.

And yeah, it is pretty bad that all your characters are human (save one). Even the expanded roster in the sequel is still pretty much all human save for the rabbit girl again and the winged guy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

beato posted:

Shoot their tires out. :ssh:

You don't think I would've if I had a gun?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

2house2fly posted:

I thought Rockstar's upper management were reading this thread with their heads in their hands, boy is my face red

"Ugh GTA 5 was terrible, it should be more like this." *Describes game that doesn't exist*

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

DrNutt posted:

Here's a better idea: if you have a sequence in your game where the PC has to walk along while a character walks beside him while rattling off lovely expository dialogue, cut that poo poo out. If you need to make a cutscene, make a cutscene for goodness sake, but don't piss in my ear and tell me it's gameplay.

Go on...

gay guy
Dec 26, 2012

DrNutt posted:

"Ugh GTA 5 was terrible, it should be more like this." *Describes game that doesn't exist*

Jesus, why are you so mad about video games in this and every other thread in PYF? Absolutely give it a rest.

Anyway, Little Inferno is a great game about buying stuff and burning it, and the engine for doing so makes a lot of interesting reactions. Wood crackles, Batteries burst, pictures fade, and a whole lot of other minituae make a pretty in-depth simulation of combustion. Plus, lighting poo poo on fire is always cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04GSCt2Wiqo

The thing dragging the game down, though, is its weird insistence on making you discover and perform combos to unlock new catalogues of things to buy and burn. Because the stuff you buy takes time to be 'restocked' and combos won't trigger if you buy everything and once and burn it, you can't just brute force them. The little hints the game gives aren't particularly helpful either. The system never works exactly the way you think it would and it's honestly just better to look them up.

gay guy has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jul 13, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

scarycave posted:

I really don't like RPG games that use the "miss the best poo poo in the game" because you did something that you'd have no idea would lock you out of it, or stealing something from a boss. Like the Genji gear in 12.

And yeah, it is pretty bad that all your characters are human (save one). Even the expanded roster in the sequel is still pretty much all human save for the rabbit girl again and the winged guy.

Square managed to realize the "Open a random unremarkable chest, no Zodiac Spear for you!" thing was bullshit at least, in the IZJS version.

The rare drops, rare steals, pray the RNG likes you that day items? Not so much, unfortunately. That poo poo is still there. Annnnd that's what they made the Zodiac Spear, because they removed the guaranteed one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It sucks that if I lag out in Dota 2 before the game starts I get a loss. It happens with no real pattern I can discern.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PlaygroundPrimer posted:

Little Inferno is a great game about buying stuff and burning it, and the engine for doing so makes a lot of interesting reactions. Wood crackles, Batteries burst, pictures fade, and a whole lot of other minituae make a pretty in-depth simulation of combustion. Plus, lighting poo poo on fire is always cool.
I don't understand the point of this game. I played for about an hour, and it was really easy to lose track of time just dragging different things into the fire, but once I stopped playing and looked back at it I realised I hadn't actually been having fun, and I couldn't see any reason to ever play again.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the point of this game. I played for about an hour, and it was really easy to lose track of time just dragging different things into the fire, but once I stopped playing and looked back at it I realised I hadn't actually been having fun, and I couldn't see any reason to ever play again.

It's kind of like Cookie Clicker, where you burn things to get coins to buy things to burn, but once you burn everything, the game ends. It's supposed to be one of those artsy games, I guess? It's mostly just an idle timewaster.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I recently replayed Bioshock and holy poo poo I forgot how annoying hacking was. Unless you have an auto hack tool or wanna pay out the absurd prices you better enjoy playing increasingly harder versions of pipe dream 5 million times.

Unpopular opinion, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really REALLY prefer Bioshock 2. Hacking was better, the weapons all felt better, and hell I even like the story better.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I recently replayed Bioshock and holy poo poo I forgot how annoying hacking was. Unless you have an auto hack tool or wanna pay out the absurd prices you better enjoy playing increasingly harder versions of pipe dream 5 million times.

Unpopular opinion, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really REALLY prefer Bioshock 2. Hacking was better, the weapons all felt better, and hell I even like the story better.

I for one completely agree about Bioshock 2. The hacking is good and the combat is excellent. Blasting people with the rivet gun or speargun never got old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I for one completely agree about Bioshock 2. The hacking is good and the combat is excellent. Blasting people with the rivet gun or speargun never got old.

You're not supposed to enjoy the second one because of the story or something. Of course, if you can manage to get past it sullying the good name of Bioshock, then there's noth much wrong with it apparently.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

I can understand people having issues with it being set in Rapture again and the story being "Hey so this woman who you literally never heard of in the entire first game was totally one of the biggest parts of Rapture's history, on par with Ryan and Fontaine. Please buy this so we can start." I liked Sofia Lamb though, she was a really great villain.

I think my problem with Bioshock's story is it felt sort of contained. I had no connection with the city and I could give a gently caress who controlled it. All the audio logs painted it as a shithole from the start run by tools who saw everyone else as 'parasites'. I know the twist makes it more personal, but even then I just felt like I wanted to save the Little Sisters and get on a boat and leave the city for whoever wanted it. Congrats, you now rule a demolished city full of insane drug addicts. Have fun.

Bioshock 2 had a villain who was actively trying to attack the surface by kidnapping girls to become Little Sisters. Sure she was crowbarred in, but Lamb was the perfect foil for Ryan.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Bioshock 2 did improve on Bioshock a lot but it didn't really do anything new with the series which is why it is often overlooked.