Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I think everyone had just ruled the reporter out because the CCTV cleared him at 10:15. It was obvious they'd missed the key evidence this week, it was clear the case on Park was based totally on her and not the evidence. Hyunmoo did a great job as the criminal, he totally sold it.

I hope this gets another season. Or Park and Hyunmoo are on the Genius S3. Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Same.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
What's great is that Hyunmoo is especially chatty during the CCTV segment, directing attention to who's walking where at what times. The ACTUAL key piece of evidence in the footage is that the victim is shown multiple times not wearing a watch. If anyone had noticed that, it probably would have led to an early solve.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I actually kind of thought it was the reporter, but mostly just because I liked the crazed fan idea. Crazed fan fit with the posing of the body, only other explanation would be framing Player Hong. I really think there was less to go on this episode than, like, ever before, though. I didn't know what to make of the CCTV footage and if it meant anything and I still don't really know. Keeper Kang and Girlfriend Park seemed like solid choices along with the reporter.

NeuroticLich posted:

I was really surprised Park didn't pick up on it making no sense that the victim grabbed a flag as a dying message (and that no one brought that up). If his body had been in the souvenir shop, maybe, but it's unlikely he would have grabbed it before dying and then not only get moved with it still in his hand, but also have the killer not remove it or have it dropped when he was moved into the goal. Her completely missing that was probably the main reason I was suspicious of her, it just seemed so flimsy.
Yes! I had thought it might be Girlfriend Park when she was coming up with that idiot "dying message" stuff, like the victim grabbed the offside flag and then the murderer just let them hang onto it while they carted them onto the soccer field and posed them in the goal? Nonsense. But then when she went insane at the end I actually started leaning less on her. Like I said though I had no idea if there was anyone who couldn't have done the murder in terms of whereabouts, weapon, or motive. Jinho's "alibi" in the alibi stage was that he wasn't at the stadium, then it turns out he went back to argue with the ref... Wtf Jinho, maybe mention that next time. Also, Jinho was really locked in on Park this week just because she's his primary rival. She's in his head!

This case was a good example of how "based on a true story" they are. A ref stabbed a player and then an angry mob killed the ref -> crazed superfan kills ref in the night and poses his body in a soccer goal. Next episode last episode.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Season 1 Episode 2:

Don't know if we're doing spoilers, but

AHHHHHHHHHH HOW DID CHANGYEOP GET ELECTED?! :stare:

Nothing makes sense!

Also, what exactly is Sangmin famous for? I looked him up on wikipedia, but all I could find is a group, not him himself.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

Season 1 Episode 2:

Nothing makes sense!

Watch until the end. They explain it well.

Capsaicin posted:

Also, what exactly is Sangmin famous for? I looked him up on wikipedia, but all I could find is a group, not him himself.

He was the lead musician and producer behind Roo'ra. He had a restaurant for a while, and that failed.

He's a stock character for a lot of Korean TV. Here he is on some random cooking show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZGHGnHp0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcwgONvDPA

So yeah, he's a popular dude.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watch until the end. They explain it well.

He was the lead musician and producer behind Roo'ra. He had a restaurant for a while, and that failed.

He's a stock character for a lot of Korean TV. Here he is on some random cooking show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZGHGnHp0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcwgONvDPA

So yeah, he's a popular dude.

Ah, their introduction of him in the first episode just kinda said "Hey, this guy failed a lot in life, so he's probably really resilient!"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
He'll expand on those beliefs later.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

He'll expand on those beliefs later.

I just started episode 4, Zombie Game, and Sunggyu is being a total cock to Sangmin.

"I've sold 8.8 millioin albums!"

"That's all in the past."

This show rules i love this show.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Sunggyu' brattiness is awesome

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Corn Thongs posted:

Sunggyu' brattiness is awesome

"This guy is great. He doesn't even know the rules and he wins."

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

He is much more clever than they give him credit for and it takes them a while to realize that :D

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I'll be SO happy if they bring him back for season 3 :D

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Really, just bring back the entire season 1 cast

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The season 1 cast was so great.

But really I don't want another season of Sangmin.

...I could handle another season of Jinho though.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Jun Hyun Moo and Park Ji Yoon from Crime Scene would make a great addition to The Genius S3 cast. Sunggyu could make a comeback a long with Henry.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just hope that The Genius S3 has as much random English as Crime Scene has had. I don't know why, but I really enjoy it when they bust out into spontaneous English.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

NowonSA posted:

I just hope that The Genius S3 has as much random English as Crime Scene has had. I don't know why, but I really enjoy it when they bust out into spontaneous English.

It's mostly just Yoon-Ji because she grew up in California and went to UCLA. I think English is actually her primary language.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Cute n Popular posted:

Jun Hyun Moo and Park Ji Yoon from Crime Scene would make a great addition to The Genius S3 cast. Sunggyu could make a comeback a long with Henry.

I wouldn't mind Yoonji either, she's pretty funny with Hyunmoo and Jinho.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

qbert posted:

It's mostly just Yoon-Ji because she grew up in California and went to UCLA. I think English is actually her primary language.

Yeah, I feel like her extra English also bleeds over to the rest of the cast sometimes though. Yoon-Ji's definitely my favorite person on the show, so I'm biased I guess.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, just watched the penultimate case and it made me so sad that last week's was easy and kinda bland. Between this one and the prison one, there was some great moments and it was actually kinda tricky to figure out. Even had Hyunmoo this time straight up discounted until the very end since he seemed like the requisite role that was completely unrelated. Can't wait for next week; the finale looks amazing. :allears:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've been slowly watching s1 after learning about the show from this thread. Question about s2... Are the elimination games more interesting and perhaps varied in s2? I am 5 episodes into s1 and rolled my eyes pretty hard when they busted out Winning Streak Game yet again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's the last time they use Winning Streak Game. Forever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, just watched the penultimate case and it made me so sad that last week's was easy and kinda bland. Between this one and the prison one, there was some great moments and it was actually kinda tricky to figure out. Even had Hyunmoo this time straight up discounted until the very end since he seemed like the requisite role that was completely unrelated. Can't wait for next week; the finale looks amazing. :allears:
The chicken delivery guy was the funniest, biggest non-role ever. Haha. I think it would have been fun on the show to start building a case against the chicken delivery guy just for the hell of it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fast Luck posted:

The chicken delivery guy was the funniest, biggest non-role ever. Haha. I think it would have been fun on the show to start building a case against the chicken delivery guy just for the hell of it.

I wonder if he had some suspicious stuff in his dossier, but they just had no reason to ever question him closely.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Timett posted:

I've been slowly watching s1 after learning about the show from this thread. Question about s2... Are the elimination games more interesting and perhaps varied in s2? I am 5 episodes into s1 and rolled my eyes pretty hard when they busted out Winning Streak Game yet again.

The death matches are the one part of season two that I think is unequivocally better than season one. They are more varied and more than one of them are nail bitingly close.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Agreed. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the deathmatches in season 1 were the worst part while the main games and contestants in season 1 were excellent. The deathmatches in season 2 were the best part while the contestants were the worst and the main games were mostly just mediocre.

Also, before the deathmatch for the coming up episodes, I'd recommend you watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90o0ai57EM

I feel it explains things much better than the subtitles do. Yutnori is surprisingly easy to learn but when you're dealing with the subtitle rules flashing by quickly it gets a lot harder.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 13, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

Season 1 Episode 2:

Nothing makes sense!

Korean-famous 90's hip hop/dance group member. Korea's version of one of those guys from the Backstreet Boys.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

The season 1 cast was so great.

But really I don't want another season of Sangmin.

...I could handle another season of Jinho though.

I wouldn't mind Sangmin returning, as long as they don't blatantly hand the season to him like they did with S2. He is an enjoyable character, but the last half of S2 was pretty shameful.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh no. Oh no. Oh NO.

I just got to the episode in S1 where Haha shows up.

This is going to be crazy.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

JakeP posted:

I wouldn't mind Sangmin returning, as long as they don't blatantly hand the season to him like they did with S2. He is an enjoyable character, but the last half of S2 was pretty shameful.

I don't think anybody realized just how dumb the season 2 cast could be.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if the pre-game alliance and meanspirited tactics weren't enough to make me dislike it, Sangmin sleepwalking his way to the finale sure did.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just finished season 1, and goddamn, did the montage before Sunggyu left make me cry like nothing else. :(

Also, even after they explained it, I still didn't understand how Jinho beat the Pass/Open game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

Just finished season 1, and goddamn, did the montage before Sunggyu left make me cry like nothing else. :(

Also, even after they explained it, I still didn't understand how Jinho beat the Pass/Open game.

The back of the cards had an asymmetrical pattern, so you could tell which way was "up". He put the numbers as "up" and the expressions as "down" so he could always tell whether it was going to be a number or not

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Asiina posted:

The back of the cards had an asymmetrical pattern, so you could tell which way was "up". He put the numbers as "up" and the expressions as "down" so he could always tell whether it was going to be a number or not

Ah, gotcha. I thought that, but then thought that the shuffling would have messed that up.

Man, between the fourth place elimination and third place elimination, I never thought Lana Del Rey would be a good choice for music for a Korean game show, but goddamn. :|

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go back and watch it. The producers were clever. The girl shuffles in a very odd manner to not flip backs of the cards around. He was clever enough to notice and then take advantage of it. It's a really sneaky move.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Go back and watch it. The producers were clever. The girl shuffles in a very odd manner to not flip backs of the cards around. He was clever enough to notice and then take advantage of it. It's a really sneaky move.

I really get the feeling that there are a lot of things the producers put in just hoping people Hong Jinho would catch.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I really like that episode because it was the one where most of them alienated him but he still came back with a solo victory, showing his genius, literally.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the episode I use to really explain how great the show is to people. That the rules are very flexible and there are multiple solutions to every problem. You can use alliances and work together to get ahead or you can come up with a clever solution by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

I really get the feeling that there are a lot of things the producers put in just hoping people Hong Jinho would catch.

Correct. And then it all just falls down in S2.

alkanphel posted:

I really like that episode because it was the one where most of them alienated him but he still came back with a solo victory, showing his genius, literally.

It's the episode I was convinced Jinho was a genius. He's sort of bumbled along the sidelines with some truly weak victories and tremendous losses for a bit, but he just came back and won everyone over.