Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Di you know /dev/mem can't be accessed above 1gb?

Did you know its stupid easy to get around that restriction? gently caress you kernel devs! I do what I want! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

door.jar posted:

A colleague of mine closed the door in the face of our CEO (~1200 person company) because he thought he was trying to sell something.

CEOs are always trying to sell things, so this sounds reasonable to me.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Special snowflake users who want us to pay a premium to get Macbook Pros, and then basically want them turned into a slightly shitter Windows machine anyway via Parallels. Bonus points if they've never used a Mac before.

I'm probably being incoherent, because the week where we're short-staffed coincided perfectly with the week where we get more encryption failure and "fix these pop-ups I get from installing literally any piece of software that asks to be installed. also I need it back in 20 minutes" type tickets than any week before.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Di you know /dev/mem can't be accessed above 1gb?

Did you know its stupid easy to get around that restriction? gently caress you kernel devs! I do what I want! :argh:

This isn't strictly true.

It depends whether or not there are memory holes from memmap in the kernel args, whether strict_devmem is set, whether your memory is contiguous (this especially matters on the kind of embedded work you do),whether you're trying to use virtual (not physical) address space, and other variables.

I assume you've checked these things, but the lkml can probably explain exactly why whatever behavior you're seeing is the way it is.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The word for what you are doing is "rationalizing." If there is no clear and urgent plan to change this situation, it will not change. You would "feel silly" talking to your boss (which is now the CIO, don't pretend you don't have a boss just because your last one left) and it "would be hard to make the jump you want to make," those are just more rationalizations.

The situation may very well be short term. Why don't you just talk to the CIO and make sure? Impress upon him the idea that you're at or over maximum capacity with just normal work day poo poo, and that if any major problem occurs, it's going to mushroom into a catastrophe. Because that's what's going to happen. Get him to come up with a plan, or suggest working together to do the same. If there's no plan, and the numbers support you, that means your superiors think they can just dump all this poo poo on you, and they're right because you aren't doing anything about it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Che Delilas posted:

The word for what you are doing is "rationalizing." If there is no clear and urgent plan to change this situation, it will not change. You would "feel silly" talking to your boss (which is now the CIO, don't pretend you don't have a boss just because your last one left) and it "would be hard to make the jump you want to make," those are just more rationalizations.

The situation may very well be short term. Why don't you just talk to the CIO and make sure? Impress upon him the idea that you're at or over maximum capacity with just normal work day poo poo, and that if any major problem occurs, it's going to mushroom into a catastrophe. Because that's what's going to happen. Get him to come up with a plan, or suggest working together to do the same. If there's no plan, and the numbers support you, that means your superiors think they can just dump all this poo poo on you, and they're right because you aren't doing anything about it.

I think you have the wrong idea.

For starters, I'm actively looking for a new job. If I find one before this situation gets better, or an internal move becomes possible, great.

Second, one of the two people whose jobs I'm doing is coming back before too long, which will help dramatically. Occasionally working super hard in response to a temporary emergency, while unsustainable in the long term, is not an uncommon thing in the short term. And I've already spoken to the CIO and made clear that I am in hardcore triage mode and I can only get done what I can get done.

Lastly, in response to my boss' retirement -- that's the other job I'm doing, his job -- will be re-filled. This isn't wishful thinking, we've discussed it. When it is I will apply for it if I haven't found anything I prefer.

The reason I said the jump I want to make is hard is because it is. I'm hoping to move to the business side of IT from the technical side, and it's a difficult move to make. I am actively working to make it. The thing I don't want to bring to the CIO isn't the staffing issue, I've done that already. I don't want to tell him I can't deal with a personality conflict.

It's not like I'm just complaining that a lifeboat is sinking while blithely refusing to bail out the water.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Windows update.

My laptop will not install Windows updates anymore. Or, it will install them, but after reboot, it will say configuring, and then say failed. Every time. Then it reverts the updates, reboots and works fine. Until the next time I try to shut down. Then it happens all over again.

I've tried a few of microsofts fix its and like restarting the service or whatever. I've had nothing but problems with Windows updates on this machine. It didn't update for months at all, checking for updates would fail. Then magically it updated one day a few weeks ago and went to poo poo. Twice it installed a driver that killed audio entirely (it said no devices were installed) and I had to system restore to even get that to work. Now it's just not installing at all. I can do updates one at a time and find the ones not working (which I did last week,, and hid the offenders) but that's not a great solution.

It's an inspiron 5530 win7 pro.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Install them in small groups, and see which one gives you trouble, then try to narrow it down to a specific update.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

myron cope posted:

Windows update.

My laptop will not install Windows updates anymore. Or, it will install them, but after reboot, it will say configuring, and then say failed. Every time. Then it reverts the updates, reboots and works fine. Until the next time I try to shut down. Then it happens all over again.

I've tried a few of microsofts fix its and like restarting the service or whatever. I've had nothing but problems with Windows updates on this machine. It didn't update for months at all, checking for updates would fail. Then magically it updated one day a few weeks ago and went to poo poo. Twice it installed a driver that killed audio entirely (it said no devices were installed) and I had to system restore to even get that to work. Now it's just not installing at all. I can do updates one at a time and find the ones not working (which I did last week,, and hid the offenders) but that's not a great solution.

Try this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

myron cope posted:

Windows update.

Put in an SSD if you don't already have one, and reinstall from blank/reimage your computer. Troubleshooting Windows updates that haven't worked for months isn't worth your time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Pissing me off today: automated emails that are supposed to sound personal.

What the gently caress is this posted:

Hello Ynglaur,
So-and-so here from some <software company>.
Here is my initial plan of action: I am working on the issue and will do the needful.
Throughout the case, I’ll keep you updated as to my progress and will let you know immediately if additional information is needed.
I want to make sure you are fully satisfied with the support you receive so if there are any concerns, you can contact me via email or by calling the <software company> line.
If you have any additional information to share, please send to us by replying to this email.

"I am working on the issue and will do the needful." Seriously? Who writes this stuff and thinks it's a good idea?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ynglaur posted:

"I am working on the issue and will do the needful." Seriously? Who writes this stuff and thinks it's a good idea?

Dude's got a plan!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ynglaur posted:

I'm half expecting a goon to jump out and go "yeah I wrote that as a joke".

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

You know - you get "do the needful" ingrained in you for years and years, and then, when you've been brainwashed to do the needful, people will still bitch about it.

But on serious note - I expect he has 5 responses written somewhere, like these telemarketeers folks do...

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Ynglaur posted:

Probably the same org that has WDTN/PDTN as an abbreviation listed in the company dictionary.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

evobatman posted:

Put in an SSD if you don't already have one, and reinstall from blank/reimage your computer. Troubleshooting Windows updates that haven't worked for months isn't worth your time.

That would be a great idea if this wasn't a work computer :( Maybe I can convince them that it's worth it though.

I used that, this FixIt http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us and then another FixIt (the Windows Update Troubleshooter). I'm installing the updates now after that last one. I'm pretty sure I've done all three of those before though.

Maybe just a re-image is worth it anyway, even if I don't get an SSD. This is bullshit.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
The last time I had Windows update problems, it was two Internet Explorer updates trying to occur at the same time. As horrible as it sounds, try one at a time, or at least half steps.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

CDW posted:

The last time I had Windows update problems, it was two Internet Explorer updates trying to occur at the same time. As horrible as it sounds, try one at a time, or at least half steps.

Real nerds use QuickSort to identify bad windows updates. :colbert:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Corporate office for the hospital I work at is currently pissing me off. A couple of years back, we got a great printer vendor to replace the lovely vendor we previously had. They were less expensive and they did a great job at fixing the printers.

These asswipes made us change vendors. The new tech is terrible. Printers are constantly having to be re-serviced as they're not being repaired properly. It's apparent the guy doesn't know what he's doing. He stuck a formatter assembly from a 4250 into a 4300 printer and then marked the 4300 as repaired. I hook it up to test and it doesn't boot. I just sits there with a lit up LCD but doesn't go through the boot process. When I talked to him about it, he tried to bullshit me. I'm not an idiot, I have the service manuals and have done repairs when the previous lovely company was here. I called him out on his bullshit, so now he's going to swap them back. This doesn't entirely fix the issue though. The problem is that he 4300 has been getting 49.4C02 error, which can point to a number of things. Corrupted queue, bad memory or other hardware problems. He thinks it's the NIC, even though the very same NIC is currently in a loaner 4300 and hasn't given any issues in the past 2 days I've been waiting on this printer to be fixed. I've told him to try a new memory module, but he's yet to try it which doesn't make sense as it's incredibly easy to swap.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Our printer vendor currently doesn't want to send anyone out to check their hardware because they insist it's a problem with our network, even though all of our stuff checks out.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
This software I've been dealing with asks me if I want to save my settings every time I hit cancel in the settings menu. This bothers me way more than the migrating settings.xml file or the fact I had to load mssql server express management so I can change its DB security to allow users to even launch the program without administrator rights.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

guppy posted:

Our printer vendor currently doesn't want to send anyone out to check their hardware because they insist it's a problem with our network, even though all of our stuff checks out.

We have a software vendor that is like that. They insist up and down that there's a problem with either the PC or the network whenever their lovely software breaks. When I demonstrate to them that the problem lies within their lovely webapp they always recommend upgrading to IE 11. Unfortunately we cant do that because the county agency that pays us has another webapp that wont work with anything above IE10.

Oh and thanks to whoever suggested "truecrypt format.exe /noisocheck" a page or two back, tried it today and it worked out perfectly.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

hihifellow posted:

This software I've been dealing with asks me if I want to save my settings every time I hit cancel in the settings menu. This bothers me way more than the migrating settings.xml file or the fact I had to load mssql server express management so I can change its DB security to allow users to even launch the program without administrator rights.

I can't stand it when programmers choose to use XML for config files. I can understand that you don't want to write a custom parser for each program, but there's so many libraries that can parse human-parsable markup, such as yaml and json. There's no excuse these days.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CDW posted:

It was happening for updates even one at a time. I just killed windows and reinstalled. Took a while but I don't think there's any update problems anymore. Stupid windows.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

swampcow posted:

I can't stand it when programmers choose to use XML for config files. I can understand that you don't want to write a custom parser for each program, but there's so many libraries that can parse human-parsable markup, such as yaml and json. There's no excuse these days.

I find XML quite human-readable.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini
Here we go again...

I work for a large corporation as a contractor. My contract is always for 1 year, from July 1 to June 30. Every year, someone screws up something with my contract renewal paperwork and I get dropped from the system and locked out of everything. This year would be different they assured me. July 1 comes and goes and I still have network access. So far so good. July 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 all pass without incident! Hallelujah! They finally got it right! On July 8th I show up at the new offices (everyone on the team was working from home the previous 2 weeks) and when I got to the door, my badge doesn't work. Hmm, that's odd. I'm sent to the security office to get the access fixed and when they scan my badge to look me up in the system, they say "Sorry, you aren't in the system" and shred my badge. I protest that I've had network access this whole time, how could I not be in the system!? They dig deeper and say there must have been a glitch because my paperwork had just gotten submitted the day before and advised me to come back in a few days because their processing SLA is 2-3 business days. That evening the network access "glitch" was fixed. I have been in limbo ever since.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

Here we go again...

I work for a large corporation as a contractor. My contract is always for 1 year, from July 1 to June 30. Every year, someone screws up something with my contract renewal paperwork and I get dropped from the system and locked out of everything. This year would be different they assured me. July 1 comes and goes and I still have network access. So far so good. July 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 all pass without incident! Hallelujah! They finally got it right! On July 8th I show up at the new offices (everyone on the team was working from home the previous 2 weeks) and when I got to the door, my badge doesn't work. Hmm, that's odd. I'm sent to the security office to get the access fixed and when they scan my badge to look me up in the system, they say "Sorry, you aren't in the system" and shred my badge. I protest that I've had network access this whole time, how could I not be in the system!? They dig deeper and say there must have been a glitch because my paperwork had just gotten submitted the day before and advised me to come back in a few days because their processing SLA is 2-3 business days. That evening the network access "glitch" was fixed. I have been in limbo ever since.

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams

Are you still getting paid for the time that you cannot work? If so, revise your estimates and take your little break.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

That's interesting. Quick question for you:

A tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

swampcow posted:

That's interesting. Quick question for you:

A tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?

Because the tortoise is already dead when I arrive.

e: In all seriousness tho, I'm not saying XML is the best, but I don't know why you think it's harder to read, it basically just mentions some things twice. I do like json as long as it doesn't have some stupid encoding on top of it.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 12, 2014

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Because the tortoise is already dead when I arrive.

e: In all seriousness tho, I'm not saying XML is the best, but I don't know why you think it's harder to read, it basically just mentions some things twice. I do like json as long as it doesn't have some stupid encoding on top of it.

When I'm driving in my car, I prefer my windshield to be clean. I can drive when it's dirty, I just prefer to see nothing except what I need to see. Likewise, I prefer reading pretty much anything but XML because there is less structural cruft to sort through. If I'm writing a script that's parsing data, I could care less what the markup is.

mewse
May 2, 2006

swampcow posted:

When I'm driving in my car, I prefer my windshield to be clean. I can drive when it's dirty, I just prefer to see nothing except what I need to see. Likewise, I prefer reading pretty much anything but XML because there is less structural cruft to sort through. If I'm writing a script that's parsing data, I could care less what the markup is.

Would you say you can't stand it when your windshield is dirty, and that there's no excuse these days

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This metaphor lost me a few posts ago, is reading XML okay or not?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This metaphor lost me a few posts ago, is reading XML okay or not?

EDI 4 lyfe

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

swampcow posted:

The analogy would be more like do you want to have a sticker on your back window while looking out the front, since its just an additional closing tag.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Geno Petralli posted:

Would you say you can't stand it when your windshield is dirty, and that there's no excuse these days

I'm responsible for my windshield. The windshield is my configuration file, OK. The car is the operating system, the steering wheel my keyboard. Stick is the mouse, seats are memory. Seat covers are like ECC, insurance is the same as a sysadmin.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think the answer is, "Yes, but it's not optimal, and it shouldn't be used just because a bunch of other things are in XML. Tortoises lying on their backs and dirty windshields are also sub-optimal."

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SEKCobra posted:

There are three zillion schema out there, and:

code:
<outer>
  <elem>val</elem>
</outer>
is dandy and readable.

Or this (from libvirt) is worse, but ok:
code:
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-1.2'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
But it starts to get really bad a little further down in the same config file:
code:
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/vash.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
Why is all the information for these nodes in the attributes?

Then there's "XML" (this is from armybuilder from years ago when I still played warhammer)

code:
<link id="dwWarCrew" count="1" actual="1" script="0" sequence="106" pseudo="no" totalcost="0" \
name="Crew" category="Equip" visible="no" sourceid="dwBoltThrw" sourceindex="1"></link>
Why are you using XML at all in this case?

gently caress XML. The flexiblity is ok, and if you're going to distribute something in XML and you give me an XSD or XSL that I can point my parser at, I'll forgive you. But there is no reason to have "human-readable" config files in XML, because they invariably turn into something no human wants to look at after your developers turned over and the new developer really likes it this other way instead.

It's the perl of configuration languages.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Does json have all features xml has? Might be an idea to just get a converter and never edit xml again.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SEKCobra posted:

Does json have all features xml has? Might be an idea to just get a converter and never edit xml again.

No. YAML is a superset of JSON, but even YAML isn't really equivalent.

XML is an excellent markup language, but it's pretty poo poo for representing serialized data (which is almost never marked up and can almost always be represented better in YAML or even JSON).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

evol262 posted:

There are three zillion schema out there, and:

code:
<outer>
  <elem>val</elem>
</outer>
is dandy and readable.

Or this (from libvirt) is worse, but ok:
code:
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-1.2'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
But it starts to get really bad a little further down in the same config file:
code:
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/vash.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
Why is all the information for these nodes in the attributes?

Then there's "XML" (this is from armybuilder from years ago when I still played warhammer)

code:
<link id="dwWarCrew" count="1" actual="1" script="0" sequence="106" pseudo="no" totalcost="0" \
name="Crew" category="Equip" visible="no" sourceid="dwBoltThrw" sourceindex="1"></link>
Why are you using XML at all in this case?

gently caress XML. The flexiblity is ok, and if you're going to distribute something in XML and you give me an XSD or XSL that I can point my parser at, I'll forgive you. But there is no reason to have "human-readable" config files in XML, because they invariably turn into something no human wants to look at after your developers turned over and the new developer really likes it this other way instead.

It's the perl of configuration languages.

Those are way too readable and have too much structure to be real XML. Everybody knows that XML is just for storing key-value pairs in the dumbest way possible. XML is supposed to be 1000+ line files that look like this:

code:
<entry name="type1" value="346" \>
<entry name="size1" value="195795" \>
<entry name="protocol1" value="8" \>
<entry name="type2" value="64754" \>
<entry name="size2" value="345595" \>
<entry name="protocol4" value="5" \>
<entry name="type1435" value="6078" \>
<entry name="size1435" value="0" \>
<entry name="protocol1435" value="24" \>

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 13, 2014