Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Artillery

Artillery is rather simple. You point out a place that you can see with your HQ squad and order rounds to come in.

Here you can see the three types of missions you can call in. Point, circle, and line. Please note that just because you say point, you are still going to get the normal amount of spread on the rounds, so for short missions it is fine.

The other two you must have los (line of sight) on both the start and end points, so they can be a little tougher to manage, plus they are completely ahistorical but don't let that stop you from using them.

That is the max size for area, as you can see it is very large, too large for the small stuff we have in this game to be effective.

The menu asks how many tubes you want to fire. Generally I just pick the max, which you can see in this case is 4.

The mission is how fast you want the guns to fire. Emergency is as fast as they can load them in and it decreases from there. Obviously this is a relative thing, you can load and fire a mortar much faster than a giant gun so the heavy choice for both missions will be drastically different in terms of rounds landing per minute.

The duration is how long you want the guns to fire, pretty obvious.

Finally, you can put in a delay. It will already take you about 10 minutes to call in the mortars so you really shouldn't need to do it, but it is there if you want.

As far as practical advice on artillery you can see here that just telling you what the buttons mean is of limited value. Basically just remember a few things. If you are hitting only a small area and expect only a platoon or so in the area, a mission of medium and duration of medium will sufficiently knock them out and leave both with the time needed to move or cancel it if it is off target and enough rounds left at the end to call in another strike. 82mm mortars and 76mm gun rounds are too small to really hurt things inside buildings, so don't expect them to clear the town. They are great in forests though, the rounds hitting the tops of trees will cause "tree-bursts" that rain deadly splinters onto the troops below.

Anyway it is yours, use it how you see fit. I'd recommend not just dumping all of it on the first vague contact you get; use it smartly over the course of the entire game as a way of gaining an advantage when paired with the rest of your forces. On the other hand don't be too conservative, you don't get points for having unspent rounds at the end of the game.

Also that is our map, I just turned off trees so you can see stuff. The uniforms and tanks have all been reskinned so that is why those look different from grey's.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

The orders you have linked here are me quoting someone elses.

My mistake, and fixed.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Odd question, but would ordering the squads in the river to move Fast, would they momentarily pause because of some kind of command lag? They're already moving quick, and pausing in the river might be worse than not moving as fast as possible through it.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah if you give them new orders or change the existing ones (moving waypoints already placed for example) they will pause, so it is better to leave them on quick. If something hits near them the AI will kick in and they will switch over to fast on their own.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Please can you get your orders in within the next 24 hours or so.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Did someone take command of that platoon that needs one?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

dtkozl posted:

Artillery

Emergency mode means that no spotting rounds are fired beforehand. Otherwise it's the same as heavy.

From the manual, on duration:

Quick - 2-4 rounds
Short - 6-12 rounds
Medium - 12-18 rounds
Long - 20-28 rounds
Maximum - exhausts ammo supply

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Three part plan this time

1. At Quick pace, move the hell out of the river. Once behind heavyish concealment, bear west and proceed toward OP Diglett at a normal Move pace.

2. At the turn, the Platoon HQ will remain behind for however long (probably no longer than a 30 seconds to a minute) to shepherd the stragglers last out of the river. The intent is to give morale support to potentially two squads which just took casualties. If they get on dry land with minimal drama, my Platoon Commander is obviously gonna be less concerned about damage control and more concerned about keeping them moving.

3. Regroup in the clearning East of OP Diglett. The tank hunters orient South-West in order to get visibility on the nearest known German ford as indicated by the red arrow.

The tank hunters take point, HQ goes in the middle, etc, etc.

ORDERS END

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Comstar posted:

Did someone take command of that platoon that needs one?

No.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
So everyone's clear that once we start knocking over objectives (the end of this orders phase, basically) we can expect this whole "no enemies" party to end pretty dramatically.

That can be a cool thing, since we're pretty well placed to receive them in town as long as the T-70s don't overextend as well as counter-counterattacking with whatever isn't over the river yet, but basically dtkozl's Phase 1 is gonna be either done or close to it by the end of this next 2 minutes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

IIRC their orders were basically "wait to see how the bombardment goes this orders phase" since they were still on the south bank, yeah? It's just redlobster and me over the river for 2nd company.

I dont recall correctly, he had no orders. WHO WANTS TO COMMAND AN INFANTRY PLATOON

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 11, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

1st Company

We're staying where we are for a turn while we assess the strength of the barrage and let 2. Co. finish crossing. Our mission for this turn will be to simply not die. Next turn we will cross, and the crossing order and schedule will be passed out to platoon commanders.

Our Truck carrying the HMG teams and our 76mm will cross the ford at Quick speed and move as close as possible to OP Bulbasaur. Platoon Commanders, your orders are to stay put. We will be crossing shortly so do not stray.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 11, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Orders for 3 Co. HQ, IS-2, дядя ("Uncle")

Please Reverse slightly so that the trees to our left shield us from observation from the German spawn apron (specifically, the threat Panther around F14). Assume a hull down posture if the slope permits, while retaining the ability to fire over the ridge. Face the hill at F9.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Company Command will Move to the marked positions on the map. Our Truck carrying the HMG teams and our 76mm will cross the ford at Quick speed and move as close as possible to OP Bulbasaur. Platoon Commanders, your orders are to stay put. We will be crossing shortly so do not stray.

Those are my guys you circled in the picture. Do you want me to pull back, or do you want company HQ to move there?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Do you want 2-1 platoon Comstar? Or any of you other guys running round with puny little MGs or snipers? Because if no one takes it before halfway through the next orders, I'll grab it.

Brakeless set it up pretty well and herp is letting it keep going this turn so it's taken care of until next turn.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dublish posted:

Those are my guys you circled in the picture. Do you want me to pull back, or do you want company HQ to move there?

Woops, my bad. I'll adjust the picture, but your guys are fine sitting there. I just didn't want the Company HQ sitting so far ahead of everyone else. You're fine.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Order has been edited to fix that, Grey.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Jaguars! posted:

Do you want 2-1 platoon Comstar? Or any of you other guys running round with puny little MGs or snipers? Because if no one takes it before halfway through the next orders, I'll grab it.

Brakeless set it up pretty well and herp is letting it keep going this turn so it's taken care of until next turn.

I support you taking the platoon instantly and giving up the AT gun to someone who will put it somewhere it can see things.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Merry Marauder posted:

I support you taking the platoon instantly and giving up the AT gun to someone who will put it somewhere it can see things.

:yosbutt:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

You will find it hard to moon in Siberia, Comrade.

Well, more than once.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Willie Tomg posted:

Three part plan this time

1. At Quick pace, move the hell out of the river. Once behind heavyish concealment, bear west and proceed toward OP Diglett at a normal Move pace.

2. At the turn, the Platoon HQ will remain behind for however long (probably no longer than a 30 seconds to a minute) to shepherd the stragglers last out of the river. The intent is to give morale support to potentially two squads which just took casualties. If they get on dry land with minimal drama, my Platoon Commander is obviously gonna be less concerned about damage control and more concerned about keeping them moving.

3. Regroup in the clearning East of OP Diglett. The tank hunters orient South-West in order to get visibility on the nearest known German ford as indicated by the red arrow.

The tank hunters take point, HQ goes in the middle, etc, etc.

ORDERS END

Willie Tong, you should probably include who those orders are for

Other people: do make sure you aren't running into the same place as somebody else. Know where your comrades are!
To that end, last time we had a Google Docs image for a map. Is there one this time, where I can get an overview of where everyone plans to be by the end of next turn?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Signup on https://app.roll20.net/home/ and ask someone (can't recall who) for an invite. Map and lots of arrows are on it.

Jaguars! posted:

You take it, I'll take over your ATG and truck next turn.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Comstar posted:

Signup on https://app.roll20.net/home/ and ask someone (can't recall who) for an invite. Map and lots of arrows are on it.

You take it, I'll take over your ATG and truck next turn.

Done!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

All orders are now final

God help whatever souls you have left.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Attend to your own soul, puppet master!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Two more turns, where oh where will that artillery shell land?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Oh, look, I was right.

Also, Battalion HQ, rather than moving to CALL IN a barrage on G-6, is apparently ACTUALLY MOVING TO G-6, so kudos on leading from the front, Comrade Battalion Commander.

Way to snipe with Uncle Joe, though, Comrade Asehujiko ME!

Grey, when convenient, could we have a status report from the ford crossers? I gather they didn't panic, but morale, # of effectives, etc?

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 12, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well, Armored Company!

Looks like you've got at least three more tanks coming your way. I knocked out what looks to be a Mark IV, so expecting a platoon of them with tank riders isn't unreasonable. T-34s especially should work out where the enemy will enter the village and plan to attack from keyhole positions if possible.

I expect this is an armored screen for a larger crossing at Ford Fuschia, but I don't know what to do with that without enacting the charge of the T-70 brigade.

WTF is with all those spotting reports on the south edge of the map?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh, look, I was right.

Also, Battalion HQ, rather than moving to CALL IN a barrage on G-6, is apparently ACTUALLY MOVING TO G-6, so kudos on leading from the front, Comrade Battalion Commander.

Grey, when convenient, could we have a status report from the ford crossers? I gather they didn't panic, but morale, # of effectives, etc?

I have no idea why the batalion HQ moved up, I must have clicked something wrong at some point.....

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So SMG guys, this is why I told you to not bunch up on the ford because we have now lost about 33% of that company. For the rest of you use this as a lesson.

1st Company might want to try and just throw a single scout squad over Cerulean to see if the german's have los on it and they can use it, otherwise hold off for now. That panther doesn't give me much hope though.

Whoever had control of that truck should have stopped it from moving across the ford.

So grey is that my batt hq that you have running into mortar fire?

edit: Did that smg squad that was on the immobilized t34 never move?

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 12, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank) - Zhar-ptitsa Reka Bashni?

Repeating emergency orders from last turn: If the main gun is destroyed or otherwise unusable, or we run out of HE/AP ammo, bail out and retreat as fast as possible to the L-6/L-7 building.

Oh... and what's this? A tank?

Fire!

If it's out of range/sight/whatever, Face in this direction and get ready to fire.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 12, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

Repeating emergency orders from last turn: If the main gun is destroyed or otherwise unusable, or we run out of HE/AP ammo, bail out and retreat as fast as possible to the L-6/L-7 buildings.

'Emergency' Orders of this nature are basically worthless, since Grey cannot interrupt a minute's turn once it begins. Also, the only way you will run out of ammo is if you start area firing at bushes 10 yards away.

(I don't think you can see that Panther, it's too far up the hill and there's too much greenery in the way - I guess you could try EXTREME gardening, but please don't, it blocks their LoS, too)

That artillery on Pallet felt slow - is it just harassing fire designed to force us to Cerulean? Comrade dublish has been working like a Stakhanovite to provide LoS pictures, and one indicates the rise at H14 can see Cerulean - perhaps they've a Panther and heavy weapons covering it in anticipation? Is another smoke mission in the cards?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's effectively no reason to order a bail out anyways. If your tank is combat-capable then your guys will stay in the tank to keep fighting. If it's destroyed then the survivors will bail of their own accord. You can trust your soldiers to generally act in an intelligent fashion unless you specifically order them otherwise.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

dtkozl posted:

edit: Did that smg squad that was on the immobilized t34 never move?

It's up where it should be. All three squads of 2/2 are at DIGLETT as ordered. (the tank hunters are on the way, through the objective)

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So what is next to the T 34?

And they aren't all at diglett one of them is way down by that tank. Whose squad is that either grey forgot to move them or their orders are bad.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 12, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Dude, it's YOU

We should check to see if Gamer still has a squad mounted, though. They are a little S of DIGLETT.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ah I thought I was in that mass of men about to die in the ford.

Looks like I am the scout then, but since I am alive so far it is a hopeful sign. 1st Company should still throw a scout over there, our approaches are a bit different so I'd just like to make sure.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Well dang. Grey, I request that you deliver the Krauts a message: gently caress you.

I'm sure they'll understand.

Any and all squads near the objective must charge blindly into it. Nothing too complicated for now.

If I'm reading this right, 2nd Platoon is closest to the target, and will form wave one of the charge. Move slowly and defensively, we don't want your guys to charge into a mess all on their own with no support.

3rd Platoon on the other hand has some ground to make up. They need to haul rear end to get there (The Objective, the Rail Station.), and their angle is pretty much perfect for what I have in mind.

1st Platoon, you guys were the ones who got blasted by the arty right? I bet your morale is complete and utter shite right now, so just shack up by the ATG until you're back on your feet. Suicidal mooks have to be fanatical, not scared shitless.

Where you hole up in the Rail Station once you get there is up to you, 2nd and 3rd. We have no clue where the German forces are other than vague, possibly incorrect, reports. Expect armour to the southwest.

Happy huntin' Renegades.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 13, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Herp, you have to give specific orders to specific units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Now that we have their northbound force zeroed in, I assume us IS-2's are going to stay where we are and keep shooting? Or are we checking out the southern contact?

• Locked thread