Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

dijon du jour posted:

I just think some people are afraid that internet reviewers are fragile things who will get mad and leave and hate us forever if we're not really careful even though that's only happened, like, once, and it wasn't even in this thread. :cheeky:
Nah, BB is just a dumbshit who's not worth anybody's time. See his posts in this thread, or that one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Digging that Kyle Kallgren now participates on the thread. Not gonna be apologetic when dude messes up or starstruck about it, just appreciative.

Edit: Yo, it appears Jeremy Parish another game compilation talky series!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 12, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
All we need now is for the SFDebris guy to show up and this thread will be perfect. For me, at least.

Hi Kyle, I'm a fan of your reviews as well. Comedy is rooted in what you know, and being able to convey all the background knowledge needed to understand these films quickly and ably to contextualize later jokes is one hell of a trick. Plus, you do it without making the videos too long. Really long videos are painful--half hour is generally my maximum and I prefer 10-20 or less.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Sorry to have nothing to contribute but holy poo poo it's Kyle Kallgren! Big fan, you're definitely one of my favorite critics on That Guy. Something about your delivery is just sublime. It's so cool to see you show up here!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey Kyle! Man, you showing up here got me go and finally watch your review of The Doom Generation, which I am in the middle of now. I was gonna do it before but never got around to it. It's a movie I personally hate because when I was younger I watched it without knowing it was an art film and kept expecting all the weird things to have an explanation and for the story to go somewhere.

Really love the show. The Anonymous video and your speech about "our" Shakespeare was great.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
First up -

KKall posted:

Also, hi everyone

Hello Kyle! I've been a fan of your videos since 2011, and they are in part what inspired me to create my own show. It's been a long time since I drew on a beard and impersonated you, that was probably a weird time.

I absolutely love the way you're able to work in so much research and information into your reviews of movies, it really provides a context as to why something works or doesn't work, and how it came to be.

One thing I'd like to say though is...don't be ashamed of having your own opinions. People accept that the video they're watching is coming from your perspective, and they'll accept that - and if you're still concerned about, say, reviewing a movie that's about queer women, or transpeople or a racial minority, a simple acknowledgement that "I do not know this from personal experience" or whatever else will do fine.

I'm saying this simply because I really didn't like Ven's alternative point of view in the Room in Rome episode. I thought your criticism of the movie was very well-founded, and I was completely Ok with the fact that you were a straight man talking about a lesbian movie, because that's your perspective as a critic and you acknowledged that in the review - so it didn't sit right when Ven came in to disagree with much of what you said, and to dismiss your opinions because you weren't a member of that minority.
I suppose the thing is...if people feel they can only talk about/have opinions/identify with movies that are about their particular social group, because their opinions on movies about another social group are invalid, since they lack personal experience, then..well...how are people ever going to learn to identify with people who are in any way different from them?

I do accept that my criticism was probably to do with the fact that I disagreed with Ven's opinion of the movie, and I *am* a white, middle class lesbian, which is..what the film was about. BTW I found Blue is the Warmest Colour deeply annoying.

I'm not sure *why* it's become so notorious, since it's not as if it's notorious outside the circle of internet critics. A few months after it came out, no one was talking about it, and I think people for the most part have forgotten it exists.
I'm still waiting for it to appear on Netflix - I loved Days of Heaven, so I feel like I'd like to give some other Malick films a shot. Is he really the to-go-to when talking about "insufferable pretentiousness"? Barring people who watch Kyle Kallgren's show and are introduced to different art house directors, I'd say the average person would consider Lars Von Trier or David Lynch to be the stereotype of pretentiousness - not necessarily because they are, but because they're art house directors who most people actually know exist.
There's such a huge gap between Malick films that I'm not really sure what public awareness of him is. I certainly hadn't heard of him until Tree of Life came out and his name started appearing in movie reviews that I took more of an interest in, now that I wasn't 13 (although I do remember thinking The New World looked interesting when it came out, but I didn't really pay attention to directors at that stage.)

Also, I haven't watched the video yet. I've had a lot of videos to get around to, so..this is just my general comment on the perception of Malick.

Can I assume that Naitsirhc's appearance in bondage gear is some kind of manifestation of Christian's homophobia? Or is it because Naitsirhc is the polar opposite of Chris, who is the most heterosexual man in the world - which..come to think of it, should mean that Naitsirhc is a very romantically successful gay guy with a long term boyfriend.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Welcome to the thread, KKall. Your show introduced me to one of my favorite films (The Fall) and one of my favorite directors (Guy Maddin).

KKall posted:

I'd be the first to admit that the Spring Breakers episode could have been better - I don't think I gave enough of a voice to the opposing argument in favor of the film, and so it came off as more than a bit negative.

This is an interesting quote. Do you feel like the purpose of your show is to discuss your opinion about a movie, or to give an objective overview of the movie?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Can I assume that Naitsirhc's appearance in bondage gear is some kind of manifestation of Christian's homophobia? Or is it because Naitsirhc is the polar opposite of Chris?

Both. Naitsirhc is explicitly gay, I just didn't call attention to it because Chris's homophobia becomes even more extreme in later issues (the series literally culminates with Chris curing homosexuality with a vaccine made from his own blood).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Welcome, Kyle. Always enjoy your reviews, they're educational and thoroughly entertaining, the Beatles one being a real standout. Also, I always give a little "Heh" when I think of the title. Brows Held High... gold.

KKall posted:

Man, I really need to do another Korine film. If only to get a better final word on him than "that man is a doer of things."

Harmony Korine Month confirmed!

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

echopapa posted:

Welcome to the thread, KKall. Your show introduced me to one of my favorite films (The Fall) and one of my favorite directors (Guy Maddin).

This is an interesting quote. Do you feel like the purpose of your show is to discuss your opinion about a movie, or to give an objective overview of the movie?

That's a good question. I've thought a lot about it and really... I don't think I really enjoy giving my opinion, especially when my opinions can change so quickly. I've never felt comfortable giving the fake authority of "this is good, this is bad" and so when I write I usually end up dancing around the movie itself and drawing a little circle of context. I'm much less a critic than a dramaturge, I guess.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KKall posted:

That's a good question. I've thought a lot about it and really... I don't think I really enjoy giving my opinion, especially when my opinions can change so quickly. I've never felt comfortable giving the fake authority of "this is good, this is bad" and so when I write I usually end up dancing around the movie itself and drawing a little circle of context. I'm much less a critic than a dramaturge, I guess.

Have you ever thought about tackling another more mainstream film, and bring your "Between the Lines" sentiments to it? I'd honestly love to see you discuss the female vs. male undertones of V/H/S.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Ohmigosh, Hi Kyle! :wave:

So now that you're here, I can ask you directly: How about reviewing a Spanish-language film? Lots of brilliant films and filmmakers to choose from, such as "Pan's Labyrinth" by Gulliermo del Toro or even "Y tu Mamá También" by Alfonso Cuarón.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

DStecks posted:

Both. Naitsirhc is explicitly gay, I just didn't call attention to it because Chris's homophobia becomes even more extreme in later issues (the series literally culminates with Chris curing homosexuality with a vaccine made from his own blood).

Wow. Uh...that sounds like a way to get a dangerous blood-borne disease, rather than to stop being gay. Oh the irony, considering that one of the most well-known blood borne diseases of all time is most commonly associated with gay people, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chris thinks that all gay people have it, based on how homophobic he is.
Then again, his homophobia seems to be based purely on "ew, shirtless men are grooossss!" which is..really weird, since..the image of a bare-chested man isn't even one that's always considered in a sexual light, whereas the image of a bare-chested woman is.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
What is it even with obsessive autist-types and fundamentalist values? In particular I'm suddenly reminded of the Dozerfleet Foundation, who fictionally produced an anti-contraception PSA and whose fictional TV show featured a gay villain who gave people AIDS by licking them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cannot Find Server posted:

One by one we will slowly rope everyone from TGWTG into this thread
Except Doug since he can't work with a computer apparently. Having Rob on here would be cool though.

Wasn't Michael Dodd on SA for a bit talking about how the site was going to get redesigned soon?

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure *why* it's become so notorious, since it's not as if it's notorious outside the circle of internet critics. A few months after it came out, no one was talking about it, and I think people for the most part have forgotten it exists.
I'm still waiting for it to appear on Netflix - I loved Days of Heaven, so I feel like I'd like to give some other Malick films a shot. Is he really the to-go-to when talking about "insufferable pretentiousness"? Barring people who watch Kyle Kallgren's show and are introduced to different art house directors, I'd say the average person would consider Lars Von Trier or David Lynch to be the stereotype of pretentiousness - not necessarily because they are, but because they're art house directors who most people actually know exist.
There's such a huge gap between Malick films that I'm not really sure what public awareness of him is. I certainly hadn't heard of him until Tree of Life came out and his name started appearing in movie reviews that I took more of an interest in, now that I wasn't 13 (although I do remember thinking The New World looked interesting when it came out, but I didn't really pay attention to directors at that stage.)

Also, I haven't watched the video yet. I've had a lot of videos to get around to, so..this is just my general comment on the perception of Malick.
I think its become notorious because Brad and Jake ranted on it for an hour and Brad sometimes makes jokes about how much he hates it every once in a blue moon. And since Brad is one of the bigger internet critics it kind of ballooned from there.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 13, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know LordKat signed up at one point back when this was a PYF thread and goons being goony ran him out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

I know LordKat signed up at one point back when this was a PYF thread and goons being goony ran him out.

He also made a test post in the Let's Play Sandcastle about some game, wherein everyone rushed in and was like "oh wow LordKat, I love Until We Win, you're awesome." Then one guy suggested he maybe should cut down on the number of rape jokes in his commentary and he had a four-page brief meltdown on Twitter over it.

Haven't seen him since.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 13, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Kyle I disagree with you about Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing! I thought you were a meanypants to the actors.

Much Ado is one of those plays that suffers drastically from being set in the modern day though, just because of what happens with Hero. It's kind of difficult to accept 'yay now she gets to marry that bastard and her dad is prepared to love her again' as a happy ending, divorced from the historical context that would give some kind of justification to their horrible behaviour.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Kyle I disagree with you about Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing! I thought you were a meanypants to the actors.

Yes I was. Quite unfairly so. And I did so entirely to set up that Tom Hiddleston/Clark Gregg joke.

I regret nothing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

He also made a test post in the Let's Play Sandcastle about some game, wherein everyone rushed in and was like "oh wow LordKat, I love Until We Win, you're awesome." Then one guy suggested he maybe should cut down on the number of rape jokes in his commentary and he had a four-page brief meltdown on Twitter over it.

Haven't seen him since.

:stonk: I had no idea about that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Haven't seen him since.
Yeah LK has one big problem in that he has a terrible temper and says things he really shouldn't it has cost him a lot. Almost tragic.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKall posted:

... this is hilarious, because the main reason I like your reviews is that you contextualize everything and don't devolve into the "it's good/it's bad" mentality that other critics have, which is something I've really, really grown to hate over the years. I guess it's because, personally, I've made a concious effort when watching movies to not think in black and white terms, but more "what tools are they using, and to what purpose are they using them for?" I find those kinds of questions, and their answers, are a lot more interesting than "man this sucks/that guy can't act/the lighting is well used/that was a cool shot". Those are statements, not discussions. I much prefer discussions. And I can honestly say that you, along with other thoughtful critics, are a big part of the reason why I try to view movies that way now.

And aren't your reviews inherently your opinions, anyway?

DStecks posted:

:stare:

nine-gear crow posted:

Haven't seen him since.

:stonk:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Does this series end with you claiming that sonichu is accidental high art? Cause this is hilarious, its almost like The Room where I want to get a few friends together, turn on the projector and kick back with a few beers.

Tracula posted:

:stonk: I had no idea about that.

Yeah a few people asked him to tone down the rape "jokes", he said no cause its his style of dark humor and it got worse from there.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 13, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

Yeah a few people asked him to tone down the rape "jokes", he said no cause its his style of dark humor and it got worse from there.

That is sad. I really do like LordKat but he does(did?) have a pretty bad temper. I know he also said some really vile stuff that went over the line by a few miles during spoony-gate and that's when I kind stopped keeping up with him personally.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Enough of this TGWTG bullshit: New Half in the Bag!

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

dsriggs posted:

Enough of this TGWTG bullshit: New Half in the Bag!

There was no better way that Transformers review could have gone.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Goddamn I love the skits RLM does in any of their videos :allears:. They blow everyone else out of the water.

Edit: Wow they liked Edge of Tomorrow. I wasn't quite expecting that. I really had a good time with it as well but I sort of expected them to come away hating it for some reason.

double edit: Jay said it perfectly about Edge of Tomorrow. "This movie was fun. Movies aren't fun anymore."

Tracula fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 13, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Steak Justice posted:

There was no better way that Transformers review could have gone.

Pretty much. Rich said on the Previously Recorded stream last week when the question about a Transformers 4 review came up to just watch the TF1/2/3 simul-watch video because that was their TF4 review, in essence.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

achillesforever6 posted:

Except Doug since he can't work with a computer apparently. Having Rob on here would be cool though.

Wasn't Michael Dodd on SA for a bit talking about how the site was going to get redesigned soon?

You mean Mike Michaud, the CEO of Channel Awesome, and yeah, he showed up in a previous version of this thread way back when it was in PYF. He hasn't shown up here, so I don't know if he even knows this thread exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

Oh, man, is that from when he goes into the future and has sex with his future wife under questionable pretenses?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

nine-gear crow posted:

Pretty much. Rich said on the Previously Recorded stream last week when the question about a Transformers 4 review came up to just watch the TF1/2/3 simul-watch video because that was their TF4 review, in essence.

Plus it follows the pattern of their Adam Sandler reviews, where they talked about Jack & Jill for 40 minutes, That's My Boy for 15 minutes, Grown Ups 2 for 3 minutes, and Blended just got a quick mention in their 'Summer Movie round-up.' They've said all there is to say about Sandler's movies at this point, and it's basically the same situation with Michael Bay.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, man, is that from when he goes into the future and has sex with his future wife under questionable pretenses?

I think that comes immediately before Chris cures gayness. It's been a while since I've read Sonichu 10, but I remember that it's largely just a series of events that happen, without any particular order to them.

Leal posted:

Does this series end with you claiming that sonichu is accidental high art?

Hahaha no. Xin was an accidental anarchist manifesto, Sonichu is just garbage.

Also LordKat is a shitstain and this forum is better off for his being ran off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
LordKat is the guy who forgot he was streaming and started masturbating live, right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Calaveron posted:

LordKat is the guy who forgot he was streaming and started masturbating live, right?

Wh- whhhhhaaaaat. no way this happened for real holy poo poo. :aaa:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Calaveron posted:

LordKat was the guy who told Spoony to kill himself with his brother's service pistol while Spoony was having a nervous breakdown.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DStecks posted:

LordKat was the guy who told Spoony to kill himself with his brother's service pistol while Spoony was having a nervous breakdown.

I don't think these events are mutually exclusive.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Calaveron posted:

While Brad Jones was on the Skype call too, though at least that was an accident. LK thought that Brad would never want to be on his stream after that and then like a year later he brings it up to Brad and Brad was like "wait that happened? I don't give a poo poo"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
When it comes to his friends, Brad is loyal to a fault. I can't really be too mad at him for that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Slate Action posted:

When it comes to his friends, Brad is loyal to a fault. I can't really be too mad at him for that.
It was also like 3 in the morning when this all happened. Man and that was the big scandal that happened on the stream and it was mainly just a gross, but accidental thing. Then you got the Big Fazeek incident which was hilarious and fun to listen to and then Spoonygate happened and it all went down hill as everyone basically left the stream. I left it mostly because I got an account here and it took most of my focus away from it. Lordkat was cool to talk to on skype though, along with Rollo T. I did piss him off once though for being admittedly a spaz about wanting to get on the stream one time.

What I'll always miss from the LK stream are the D&D sessions with the Channel Awesome guys. Angry Joe's freak out about being kill stealed was glorious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vp70xxEqRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Wasn't there also some sort of Magfest-related incident involving LordKat and an intoxicated girl? I think Diamanda Hagan wrote about that one.

• Locked thread