Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: Taking Executive Privilege :siren: I have that, right?

So. Fanky and Bad Seafood have been real busy, and a weekend judgment for week 100 has been mentioned. I for one am tired of people threatening to maim/murder me, so how about we put it to a vote? I can't guarantee that Seafood and Fanky will honor it, and they will probably beat me up me for going rogue. But it's time democracy came to this thread. By the power vested in me by my scary red avatar, I COMMAND you to vote on the following categories:

Best in Show
This is for the one piece that you thought was just real great. Maybe it was collaborative, maybe it wasn't. But it sticks out in your mind, has that certain panache. YOU MAY VOTE FOR ONE STORY IN THIS CATEGORY.

Best Collaboration/Continuity Creators
Did you notice some stories that fit together particularly nicely? Please post whatever group of people you thought added to the briefcase canon. How will I tally this? No idea, we're winging it. PLEASE POST ONLY ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE. It should be relatively obvious that their stories all connect in some way. I know we have a few examples of that this week.

Most Interesting Character
We had a few recurring characters this week. Who was your favorite? YOU MAY VOTE FOR ONE FAVORITE CHARACTER IN THIS CATEGORY.

Here is a rough google doc outline of the continuity, courtesy of T-Rex, Djinn, and QPQ

Ideally, we will have a winner and one HM for each category. I will figure that out myself, though! Please only vote for one person/group per category. The thread will NOT be voting on the losers because that would be kinda lovely (and it's not the loser/DMs that the judges are hung up on).

THERE WILL BE PRIZES! So hurry up and vote vote vote before my co-judges come back and yell at me a whole lot and we have to shut this party down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sitting Here posted:

Most Interesting Character
We had a few recurring characters this week. Who was your favorite? YOU MAY VOTE FOR ONE FAVORITE CHARACTER IN THIS CATEGORY.
Black Jesus x 10,000

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

My picks:

Best in Show: Hallelujah, Bye and Bye (Tyrannosaurus)
Best Collaboration / Continuity: Running Into Walls through Meeple for continuity, Tyrannosaurus and godoverdjinn for collab)
Most Interesting Character: Vincent (crabrock)

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 12, 2014

DuckyB
Jun 27, 2014

Gentlemen.
Best In Show: Midnight Purple by We Landed On The Moon.
Best Collaboration: T-Rex and Djinn.
Most Interesting Character: Black Jesus.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

And failed. My brilliant plan of writing while on holiday has been foiled by non-stop, irrefusable hospitality from my Balkanian in-laws. I suspect Solarian collusion.

Apologies to my fellow Ocknites. Fight well!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Best in show: muffin's: 'his kung-fu was sudden, slick and baller'
Best collab: trex/djinn
Best character: rolf backslash: trucker&poet

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 12, 2014

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Sitting Here posted:

Taking Executive Privilege

While I do approve of this post in theory, I am, in fact, still going to murder you. Right in your face. :black101:

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Best in Show: Midnight Purple by WeLandedOnTheMoon!
Best Collaboration/Continuity Creators: Tyrannosaurus/godoverdjinn
Most Interesting Character: Erik

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Best in Show: SurreptitiousMuffin - Well it's a good thing one of us does

Best Collab: me and Tyrannosaurus :smuggo:

Most interesting character: Coyotaje

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Best in show: Muffin and the KUNGFU :black101:
Best Collab: Djinn and Trex
Most Interesting: :smuggo: Black Jesus :smuggo:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

:siren: Sign ups are closed, by the way.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so as a total idiot, am i supposed to find out who im up against or am i up against the other team or what.

if im against a person do i actually have to write about being against them or am i just judged against their story.

is it kosher that this post isnt using question marks when it should.

also chili garlic shrimp chips are really good, just thought i should let yall know about that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
crabrock is going to post and tell you who you are up against, but he should probably hurry up and do that.

You are mostly going to just be up against the person you will be paired against with your story...you don't have to write specifically about being against them. The story itself just has to have the theme of "fighting against the other team"

REREAD THE PROMPT POST!

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

crabrock posted:

Your story doesn't have to involve actual fighting, just some aspect of war.

There are lots of things that happen during war that aren't directly combat related, and those are fine to write about (maybe even better? I dunno how good you are at writing a trench scene and making it good).

You don't have to explicitly mention the "other team." That's more for the purposes of deciding the winner and exempting people from DMs/Loss.

Thank god there's no correlation between reading and writing!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i was specifically asking if there was supposed to be mention of the person i was fighting, not the team. yeesh!!!

the details of how one is paired up against a person, and what that means, was vague.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 12, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i was specifically asking if there was supposed to be mention of the person i was fighting, not the team. yeesh!!!

the details of how one is paired up against a person, and what that means, was vague.

Write a story, post a story. That's all you need to know.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

sebmojo posted:

Write a story, post a story. That's all you need to know.

I'm confused: what are the prizes and how do the personal challenges fit in with the weekly contests?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The prize is knowing you beat everyone. If you lose though you get a loser avatar. If you win after getting a loser avatar though someone will buy you a new avatar to commemorate your redemption.

The personal challenges (brawls) are just separate things, but your win/loss record (for brawls and for weekly contests) is all tracked here: http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/

login/pass is "thunderdome" for both

This week is a weird week and it's very confusing. I am judging and I don't quite understand how it's going to work, but if you just write a story and submit crabrock will figure all the complicated poo poo out for you anyway

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sithsaber posted:

I'm confused: what are the prizes and how do the personal challenges fit in with the weekly contests?

Sitting Here posted:

but so okay that sounds cool, how do i participate

Each week, the previous week’s winner delivers a prompt, along with a word count, a deadline for signups, and a deadline for submissions. Your job is to read the prompt, sign up for the prompt, and then give your very best shot at writing a real nice story within the word limit and in time for the deadline.

uh so what’s Thunderdome?

In Thunderdome, you write. You get your writing ripped apart. Then you come back for more. You become a better person for it. Maybe you even become a better writer.

It’s harder than it sounds.

Once the submission deadline passes, the winner/Boss Judge and their two chosen co-judges convene and decide the glorious victor, the pathetic failure, and any honorable/dishonorable mentions for the week. Generally, the judges will also give feedback in the form of short critiques.

The loser also gets this sweet losertar:

Then the cycle repeats.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

systran posted:

The prize is knowing you beat everyone. If you lose though you get a loser avatar. If you win after getting a loser avatar though someone will buy you a new avatar to commemorate your redemption.

The personal challenges (brawls) are just separate things, but your win/loss record (for brawls and for weekly contests) is all tracked here: http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/

login/pass is "thunderdome" for both

This week is a weird week and it's very confusing. I am judging and I don't quite understand how it's going to work, but if you just write a story and submit crabrock will figure all the complicated poo poo out for you anyway

I thought submission entries were closed. I also thought we were supposed to write about barrel lengths and not war. (I've got a sibling violence thing I was going to post anyway)

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

Sithsaber posted:

I thought submission entries were closed.

Sign-ups for this week are closed. If you wish to participate next week, your pre-Thunderdome homework is to read the goddamn OP and stop making GBS threads up the thread with questions that can easily by answered by doing exactly that.

Phobia
Apr 25, 2011

I'm a suave detective with a heart of gold in hot pursuit of the malevolent, manipulative
MIAMI MUTILATOR
and the deranged degenerates who only want their
15 MINUTES OF FAME.

OCK.

Sithsaber posted:

I also thought we were supposed to write about barrel lengths and not war. (I've got a sibling violence thing I was going to post anyway)
I really hope you're talking about guns, Amigo.

It's usually preferred that you write an original story, that is, a story you haven't already written and actually fits the prompt. You write a story and the judges determine which story is least terrible. Then the judges critique each story. That's the point of TD; no matter whether you win or lose you are guaranteed a critique. You don't win poo poo unless you were here for week 100 which was a special case, and even then we have no clue what that prize is. I don't TD for prizes, I TD so I can learn what I am doing right and wrong. If there were actual prizes, great, but if TD started handing out prizes then it'll become more about the prizes than the critiques, and no regular here wants that.

Basically if you're coming into TD thinking "WRITE STORIES WIN FABULOUS PRIZES" or "oh this is like the fiction farm" then I've got bad news for you.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's not that confusing of a system. whichever teams wins the most brawls "wins" this round and gets immunity from loser/dm. that's all it really is. SORRY FOR TRYING TO DO SOMETHING FUN

the pairing up is going on now. this is tough.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 13, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
no crabrock this is loving awesome, pair us up and let's riot

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Each fight is worth 1 point. (15 matches).

Seb is fighting two people because he likes to fight a lot.

Good luck to both teams. You better start bribing those Rentboy Mercenaries extra good. Anomalous Blowout and Entenzahn, you should hold out for the good poo poo.

I also still need a third judge! I know somebody out there wants to shatter the dreams of 15 of their fellow thunderdomers!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
The Archive is not letting me access stories, even when I'm logged in. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Gau posted:

The Archive is not letting me access stories, even when I'm logged in. Is anyone else having this issue?
You need to request access. Look in the top-left corner.

edit: Best be careful brawling with the sun, Phobia. You might get burned.

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 13, 2014

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
I've never actually lost a thunderdome (If I did I wouldn't have this lovely avatar) so I think my red dot should be removed.

Or give me a sweet-rear end losertar, either way works.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

PootieTang posted:

I've never actually lost a thunderdome (If I did I wouldn't have this lovely avatar) so I think my red dot should be removed.

Or give me a sweet-rear end losertar, either way works.

Yes, you have. You and CommissarMega then brawled to see who would have to wear the losertar, because the mods only give us one freebie a week. You won and so were spared. If you want the losertar now, you'll have to suck again.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

edit: OMFG KAISHAI

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Kaishai doesn't have the highest sperg rating for nothing

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Kaishai posted:

Yes, you have. You and CommissarMega then brawled to see who would have to wear the losertar, because the mods only give us one freebie a week. You won and so were spared. If you want the losertar now, you'll have to suck again.

drat, I was hoping that was a brawl for who was declared the loser.

Guess I'll just take out my frustration on TEAM SUN (MORE LIKE TEAM BUM) WHO SUCK.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

:siren: Word Bounty

Now that you are paired up, you have a bit of shitslinging to do. Write 100 words max insulting your opponent.

How many words you get depends on the creativity of your insults. If you go with trite expressions like "douchebag" you will get few extra words. If you impress me with your insults then you will get more.

But jesus christ people, keep the gender/sexual orientation/racial stuff out of it.

DuckyB
Jun 27, 2014

Gentlemen.
poo poo-TALKIN' WORD BOUNTY , 100 words.

Sweet rig, Seb. Who can root against a cyborg? I mean, I get it. Your own poo poo wasn't hot enough for TD, so you chipped in an AI to do the heavy-lifting for you. No shame in that.

A word of advice, though? I'd invest in two things: 1) A back-up, because when Guinness and I come out swinging, we're gonna crash the gently caress out of that antiquated piece of poo poo, and 2) an appointment for full mechanization, because once this brawl is over humanity ain't gonna want poo poo to do with your broken down rear end.

Praise The Sun, bitches.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Lou Begas Mustache? More like Sue Vicky Butt-throb. You better cut your hair with a straight blade cause when I use your head as a personal ball rester, I don't like rough surfaces. You should also purchase a neck brace. For safety purposes.

Hint: I'm going to crush you with my manliness.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
On the Matter of WLOTM
(97 words)

We Landed on the Moon can’t write his way out of a paper bag. I know this because I once trapped him in a paper bag, armed only with a pencil. I came back hours later to find that he had passed out from lack of air, and the brain damage he suffered likely informs his current inability to string more than a handful of phrases together in a fashion that is pleasing to the senses. Sorry about that, but you had it coming for your love of Dane Cook.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
A Cautionary Tale
100 words

Once there was a Grizzled Patriarch. Despite amassing a large sum of wealth throughout his lifetime, his addiction to Mike’s Hard Lemonade and low alcohol tolerance quickly led his entire estate to financial ruin. His family kicked him out of his mansion, and for months after his neighbors frequently saw him shuffling down the street in a stained bathrobe, a half-empty bottle in his hand and sugary malt liquor on his lips. One afternoon, he stumbled drunkenly into the path of an ice-cream truck, splattering his brains on the windshield like so many strawberry milkshakes.

The truck read:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
I'M CALLING YOU OUT DMBOOGIE

65 words

Dmboogie, your words are like trash,
All your stories burn and crash
This isn’t even a brawl
All you’re gonna do is fall
My words are made of honey,
And yours are just funny
Your characters are cliché
The plots don’t make sense
You’ll win one day
If you can just use the right tense

Go read a book and you might beat team Ock.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
10 words
mercedes

I hope you’ve seen a doctor about your testicular elephantitis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Number 7 Combo -- 98 words

Ooh, Gau, you think you're so big? I eat punks like you for breakfast. Literally! You know what I did this morning? I went to the Chinese food place on the corner, talked to Mr. Ming-- nice guy, glad he's doin' well-- and I said "I want some General Gau's Chicken." He says "it's only eight in the morning!" And I said "you're goddamned right Ming, I want to start my day eating some mediocre writing with a side of fried rice." It gave me digestive problems all day, but it was worth it, because gently caress you Gau.

• Locked thread