Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What. a. ride. Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

Epic ride.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That was incredible to watch

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Well that owned.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Mmmm, I never stopped believing in Cancellara who's real good and cool

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Super pumped after that ride, cool that a Frenchman is going to be in yellow on Bastille day.

Tony Martin seems like a cool dude:

David Millar @millarmind
Tony Martin said 'Sorry David' when he caught and passed me in a TT. He's that nice.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
What a ride by Martin, 150km in a break and more than half alone.

Podium look like a TT stage.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Hegay posted:

Mmmm, I never stopped believing in Cancellara who's real good and cool

Cancellara probably would have won if he would had worn a skinsuit and aero helmet like Martin. But he's all like gently caress that poo poo. Also the three bottles of Merlot last night didn't help.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 13, 2014

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
That Panzerwagen cap they made for Martin is Cool and Good, and I ususally wouldn't be into pro gear but I might wear that.

Also LMAO if you are too wimpy to do that PRO aero tuck.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

lmao if you aren't dumb enough to do it on unfamiliar French roads

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

tylertfb posted:

Also LMAO if you are too wimpy to do that PRO aero tuck.

They aint bout that west coast life

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
His wife is amazing. That red dress. :circlefap:

Also, whomever was chasing with him (number 83?) for most of the last 50km has one sexy paint job. That sky blue is awesome.

I'm all worked up over here.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 9 Gérardmer / Mulhouse

EN - Summary - Stage 9 (Gérardmer > Mulhouse)
EN - The Flamme rouge - The last kilometre - Stage 9 (Gérardmer > Mulhouse)

No real change for the favourites.

Stage 10 Mulhouse / La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5km

:siren: Princess stage :siren:

EN - Stage 10: by Arthur Vichot (FDJ.fr) - Stage 10 (Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles)

Mountain passes & hills

Km 30.5 - Col du Firstplan (722 m) 8.3 km at 5.4% - category 2
Km 54.5 - Petit Ballon (1 163 m) 9.3 km at 8.1% - category 1
Km 71.5 - Col du Platzerwasel (1 193 m) 7.1 km at 8.4% - category 1
Km 103.5 - Col d'Oderen (884 m) 6.7 km at 6.1% - category 2
Km 125.5 - Col des Croix 3.2 km at 6.2% - category 3
Km 143.5 - Col des Chevrères (914 m) 3.5 km at 9.5% - category 1
Km 161.5 - La Planche des Belles Filles (1 035 m) 5.9 km at 8.5% - category 1

Intermediate sprint

Finish
See last climb

Weather forecast & map

Wind < 10km/h

Stage 10 Winner odds

Time schedule

Start : 13h30
Finish : 17h32 (40 km/h) 17h44 (38 km/h) 17h59 (36 km/h)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what are the rules for passing in/out of a sprint? I imagine that there has to be some guidelines or else the peloton couldn't function. Riders can't be as generous as they are with the space around them without rules. Enlighten me!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TraderStav posted:

So what are the rules for passing in/out of a sprint? I imagine that there has to be some guidelines or else the peloton couldn't function. Riders can't be as generous as they are with the space around them without rules. Enlighten me!

Hold your line. Thats the only rule.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Hold your line. Thats the only rule.

Can you explain what that means? Don't swerve to hit them as they pass? Can you try to block them out with your team?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TraderStav posted:

Can you explain what that means? Don't swerve to hit them as they pass? Can you try to block them out with your team?

If you're in a bunch sprint, don't swerve to block or jump on the wheel of a guy in front. Accidents happen, people lean on each other all the time and in a sprint you're counting on the guys racing with you not to do anything idiotic and take you all out. Thats why its so important that you can generally trust everyone will stay in the same bit of road they currently are in.

You block people in by surrounding them, not by swerving over the road to keep them behind you.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've said this about Tony Martin before, but what an absolute monster! (in the best way)

Today is a really good feel day in the TDF, happy for Gallopin and happy for Martin.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I missed today's stage: can someone explain what the hell happened that let Gallopin take such a huuuuuge whack of time?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

strangemusic posted:

I missed today's stage: can someone explain what the hell happened that let Gallopin take such a huuuuuge whack of time?

Astana are sick of protecting the yellow jersey so they let Gallopin go off up the road and sat up for most of the stage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
~20 person breakaway that nobody was very interested in chasing. Gallopin was prepared to do the work at the front of the break to keep it going and take a Yellow into Bastille day.

Tony Martin was just riding a completely different race to everyone else.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

strangemusic posted:

He got in the break and Nibali let him go because he didn't want the yellow jersey.

Lol too slow

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
They decided to cancel the stage and use today for a time trial. Tony Martin won, Cancellara came second. A whole bunch of people tied after that. Most of the favorites took a day off and lost time.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I can see Nibali regaining yellow tomorrow.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

strangemusic posted:

Other people have basically said it but he's not a threat for winning it after 21 stages, even if he's holding it after 9, so Astana don't give a poo poo. Let Gallopin's team do the work closing down breakaways to protect the yellow jersey for as long as they can -- for them holding it for a long time is really good exposure for their sponsors, and just straight up cool for a guy who isn't going to win it at the end of the day. As it happens yeah tomorrow's a killer stage so they probably won't hold it beyond that, but in which case it's even more of a who cares for Astana: they lose it for one day, big whoop :geno:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also Astana can spin it as they let a french rider be in yellow for Bastille day.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I was beaten, but here's the obligatory Cyclocosm link:
How The Race Was Won - Rules of the Group Sprint: http://youtu.be/fJ6j01tPmEg

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Look like Wiggins will stay at Sky in 2015.

Last one is Cancellara told Nibali, he want to get back home.

Edit : Wiggins to stay at Team Sky in 2015

Mr.Nice fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 14, 2014

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ted King is lantern rouge.

Felt really bad for him last year when he was cut on a TT after a crash the previous day during the Corsica mess.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He went Gallopin' away

(sorry)

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Russian Bear posted:

Ted King is lantern rouge.

Felt really bad for him last year when he was cut on a TT after a crash the previous day during the Corsica mess.

That was disgraceful.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Tony and Marion may get another baby lion today, he lost only 1'45" on Froome in the last finish in planche des belles filles.

Most broadcasts are on already, real start at 13:30 CET
Col des Chevrères climb begins around 17h00 (First move from GC contenders)

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/
http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Very good sign that Astana is sending Westra ahead

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Looks like Rodriguez wants the mountains classification

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress NBC, I feel like I'm watching more commercials than cycling. It's kind of hard to enjoy.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Looking forward to some suicidal attacks from French riders.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Wolfy posted:

gently caress NBC, I feel like I'm watching more commercials than cycling. It's kind of hard to enjoy.

I saw that over the weekend, it was awful. I had been streaming from Eurosport at work, and will probably continue to stream next weekend

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Today's stage is a lot harder than the last time they finished on La Planche des Belles Filles, Gallopin is going to have to work hard to keep it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
We don't get many ads here in New Zealand but the timezone is horriffic, 3:30am-4am finishes each day which was fine when I was a slacker uni student but not compatible with working fulltime :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
God I hope Rodriguez picks up a billion KOM points today and nurses them through to Paris.

Edit: looks lovely at the finish. If I sit up till stupid o'clock and we get 60 min of fogged in finish line cam like last years giro ill be pissed.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 14, 2014