Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

talktapes posted:

I've done some overnights with friends recently and want to start looking into doing some backcountry camping by myself... can never seem to get fully comfortable on a pad, and someone recently was telling me hammocks work well for solo trips. After doing some research they seem like they may not be great for side sleepers, is this true? If not, any recommended brands? The Hennessys look really nice but kinda wary about pulling the trigger due to price.

Also, have a loving giant picture! Zeacliff lookout over the Pemi wilderness:

I'm a side sleeper and really love my big Agnes inflatable. It rolls up smaller than a foam, is still really light, but gives you a sizeable cushion off the ground that your shoulder can sink into. Have some soft clothes or something as a pillow though, it's poo poo with your neck cranked that far sideways without one.

As a bonus it's a great insulator too so you can sleep on snow no problem. I've done -35C with it and a decent bag and had an amazing sleep.

I've looked into hammocks but they're dependent on trees, which depending on your camps might not always be an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have a Synmat UL 7. I hate inflating it, but drat it's comfortable and WARM. Depending on weather, if I bring my down puffy, it packs into a pocket for a drat good pillow. Otherwise, Sea to Summit's inflatable pillow is pretty good.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Have you ever taken a nap in a hammock? They do tend to force you into non-side positions.

I like the Big Agnes q-core pads.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm and I love but was a bit pricey. It is the winter (all season) one. They have one that is more of a three season one that is a bit smaller/lighter.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

HarryPurvis posted:

For any hiking goons in the Southern California area, local outdoors store Adventure 16 is currently running a 3-Peak Challenge. Register at a store to get started and then climb Mt. San Antonio, Mt San Jacinto, and Mt San Gorgonio. Prizes are offered for completing in time frames of 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, or for the insane hikers 1 day. Its a good incentive to get out and hike and explore some of SoCal's local mountains.

Just did the challenge myself over the holiday weekend. Very doable in three days for anyone that hikes regularly. Can probably done easily in two days if you camp out on any of the mountains. Attempting to finish in one day should only be attempted if you know the trails and are in very good physical condition.

I was doing this for the 3 week version. Had to turn around ~1000' elevation from the peak of San Gorgonio because a lighting/rain/hail storm started. I turned in my card regardless, so we'll see if they accept it. If not, I might try the 3 day one instead. It was fun for sure, I'd never been to any of these areas before.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lightning is dangerous so take appropriate precautions. In their defense last nights storm rolled through quickly.

1 dead 7 injured

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I need some ideas on good backpacking trips in NC to take a semi newbie on a trip. He hasn't done any real backpacking in a few years, and Ideally I'd like to go somewhere that's a challenge, but not gonna kick his rear end. I'd also like to go someplace new personally. I've done the following:
- Linville Gorge
- Grandfather Mountain
- South Mountain
- Parts of the Smokies
- Cold Mountain (gently caress the Art Loeb trail)
- Stone Mountain
- Grayson Highlands
- Hanging Rock (not really backpacking but I guess it might count)

Anyone have a good suggestion I can look into that's not listed? Right now I'm leaning towards going back to Linville.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Just been getting back into hiking after years of being out of it. Man am I glad to be doing it again:

Norvan Falls

I am looking into some new boots, and I tried Scarpa's sl activ on and found they fit extremely well (probably because they come in 1/3 sizes). Amazon has them for $80 off (http://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-SL-Active-Hiking-Bordeaux/dp/B007GN2PMA/). This seems like a good deal, but should there be any reason to be suspicious, other than "buying shoes online is a bad idea if you don't know how they'll fit"?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Coolwhoami posted:

Just been getting back into hiking after years of being out of it. Man am I glad to be doing it again:

Norvan Falls

I am looking into some new boots, and I tried Scarpa's sl activ on and found they fit extremely well (probably because they come in 1/3 sizes). Amazon has them for $80 off (http://www.amazon.com/Scarpa-SL-Active-Hiking-Bordeaux/dp/B007GN2PMA/). This seems like a good deal, but should there be any reason to be suspicious, other than "buying shoes online is a bad idea if you don't know how they'll fit"?

Honestly if you can find a pair to see how they fit, try it out and you're good with them, there's no reason not to buy them online. I'm not familiar with the brand myself, but maybe someone else can weigh in on that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speleothing posted:

Have you ever taken a nap in a hammock? They do tend to force you into non-side positions.

Hammock + pad is the cure for that. It takes getting used to, but with a somewhat over-width hammock it's super comfortable and warmer than it has any right to be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As a side sleeper I powered through with a thermarest pad for a few trips before I decided to see what else was out there. My shoulders and hips would always be sore in the morning and I rolled off it constantly throughout the night.

I switched to the Big Agnes Insulated Q Core and now I sleep like a dream. It is identical in packed size and weight as my thermarest but its 4" thick vs 1.5-2". The big thing with side sleeping is that too much pressure in one spot (hips and shoulders) would displace the air and you would hit the ground. This pad is so thick that you simply dont. I have actually slept on this pad in the same position start to finish which I can't even do on my bed at home. No more sore hips, no more sore shoulders, no more lower back pain. Completely changed my backpacking game. Blowing it up can be annoying though. My thermarest was a self inflator so it didn't take much to inflate. The big agnes takes a LOT more air than the half foam half air type. I picked up the dry bag/pump which is actually pretty nice and keeps your hot bacteria laden breath out of your pad.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Coolwhoami posted:

Norvan Falls

Boots talk

This is precisely what mec is for! And it's at the other end of Mountain Highway (ish) so go try some on. You can buy online if you are sure you know the exact model, but honestly I'd rather spend my money at mec for those times you need to return an item.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

This is precisely what mec is for! And it's at the other end of Mountain Highway (ish) so go try some on. You can buy online if you are sure you know the exact model, but honestly I'd rather spend my money at mec for those times you need to return an item.

I was pretty unclear in my post so my apologies. I have tried the things on and they fit really well, I am mostly wanting to ensure online boot sales wasn't a hit and miss thing (I'm broke enough as is without getting ripped off on $200+ boots). It sounds like that should be alright so I'm gonna scoop em while they're still on that deal. Thanks everyone!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I spent yesterday at Mt. Evans Wilderness doing some trail work. I wish I had taken pictures, because holy poo poo, what a difference 6 hours of hard labor by 30 people makes.

I have an entirely new respect for trails now. I really encourage people to participate in a trail project or projects. Also I fell asleep at 7pm last night.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Verman posted:

As a side sleeper I powered through with a thermarest pad for a few trips before I decided to see what else was out there. My shoulders and hips would always be sore in the morning and I rolled off it constantly throughout the night.

I switched to the Big Agnes Insulated Q Core and now I sleep like a dream. It is identical in packed size and weight as my thermarest but its 4" thick vs 1.5-2". The big thing with side sleeping is that too much pressure in one spot (hips and shoulders) would displace the air and you would hit the ground. This pad is so thick that you simply dont. I have actually slept on this pad in the same position start to finish which I can't even do on my bed at home. No more sore hips, no more sore shoulders, no more lower back pain. Completely changed my backpacking game. Blowing it up can be annoying though. My thermarest was a self inflator so it didn't take much to inflate. The big agnes takes a LOT more air than the half foam half air type. I picked up the dry bag/pump which is actually pretty nice and keeps your hot bacteria laden breath out of your pad.

I'll vouch for the Q Cores as well, they're amazingly comfortable and for a pad take up very little room when deflated. That's the first I've heard of Agnes' dry bag/pump though, I looked it up on REI and now I'll definitely have to try one out.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

momtartin posted:

I need some ideas on good backpacking trips in NC to take a semi newbie on a trip. He hasn't done any real backpacking in a few years, and Ideally I'd like to go somewhere that's a challenge, but not gonna kick his rear end. I'd also like to go someplace new personally. I've done the following:
- Linville Gorge
- Grandfather Mountain
- South Mountain
- Parts of the Smokies
- Cold Mountain (gently caress the Art Loeb trail)
- Stone Mountain
- Grayson Highlands
- Hanging Rock (not really backpacking but I guess it might count)

Anyone have a good suggestion I can look into that's not listed? Right now I'm leaning towards going back to Linville.

How many days/nights are you talking here?

Check out the Harper Creek area. You can spend a few days in there and hit a bunch of different trails, including Mountains to Sea. Its really adjustable as far as distances and difficulty go. Plus, with all the rain we have had, the falls are probably INSANE right now.

I also just got done with 3 nights off the AT down around Franklin NC. You can do a nice 2 or 3 day trip on a loop of the AT that will take you to the top of Standing Indian. There are also TONS of other local trails interwoven into the area around the AT down there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I'll vouch for the Q Cores as well, they're amazingly comfortable and for a pad take up very little room when deflated. That's the first I've heard of Agnes' dry bag/pump though, I looked it up on REI and now I'll definitely have to try one out.

For what it's worth you could easily make your own. It would actually benefit from being slightly larger than theirs because it takes wire a few pumps to get it close to firm. It's amazingly since though and pretty effective. My friend saw it and decided to modify his trash bag with a hair tie to do the same thing and it worked well.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I heard there was no summit register on one of the tallest mountains in the state here.

Lugging an ammo box up several thousand feet on some sketchy terrain is probably something I'm only going to do once.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Why didn't you just use a capped length of PVC?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Spent yesterday with a group of trail walkers so we didn't do Mt James like I had hoped, but we got to a lake just below it, Medicine Grizzly. Saved for another day.

I'm going to do Eagle Ribs and Mt Despair on Saturday and some easy jaunts earlier in the week. Eagle Ribs/Despair will be 20 miles with 5,000ft elevation :o:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
We're heading to Jackson, WY the first week of August. Could anyone recommend some great hikes to do in/around the Tetons? I think we're looking for like 3-5 hour hikes rather than full-day outings.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Speleothing posted:

I am a side sleeper and sleep in a hammock year round, thanks to carriage bolts I drilled into the roof beams (:ssh: don't tell my landlord.) If the hammock is forcing you out of your preferred sleeping position, you are hanging it too tight or at a slight angle towards one end.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Honestly the main reason I started to consider hammocks is because side-sleeping on some (supposedly) expensive/good pads my friends own just murders my hips. Also I hike pretty much exclusively in the Whites and trying to find a reasonably level area to pitch a tent on the side of a mountain can be kind of a headache, depending on the area. You're not allowed to camp out above treeline up here (due to exposure and impact reasons) so most anyplace you'd camp is pretty heavily wooded, which makes a hammock look pretty attractive. One friend who camps every weekend solo pretty much swears by his hammock and is also a side sleeper, which is what planted the idea in the first place... conversely most people I've seen DO use just the standard tent and pad setup, plus opinions online mostly say hammocks are not that good for side sleeping. In any case there are plenty of great recommendations in this thread, so either way thanks for the suggestions, plenty of food for thought.

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
Starting things simple with my first hike of the summer; went up Chirico Trail. Can't wait for my favorite trails to clear of snow.

Any tips on saving knees when hiking downhill? Going uphill I can feel my muscles do all the work, but going downhill seems to put all the work on my knees rather than muscles.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

lime rind posted:

Any tips on saving knees when hiking downhill? Going uphill I can feel my muscles do all the work, but going downhill seems to put all the work on my knees rather than muscles.

Walking poles are supposed to reduce the impact by 10% or so. Lots of people I know happily use them, and I have some myself. Other than that work on your upper leg muscles.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spent the day at wild basin hiking with a friend and my wife. There is still a fair amount of damage to the trail system from the floods. But it's an incredible area and no trail there sucks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Trekking poles are a savior for my knees, and I've had surgery on both. Using them to help lower yourself, as opposed to letting your weight drop on the receiving leg, makes a huge difference. You can still move very quickly, it just takes a bit of practice.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

To add to the trekking pole discussion. My wife and I have been using some $25 kelty and cabelas poles for a year or so with no issues. Trekking poles are so cheap you can barely justify not having a pair. Short of winning the lottery I see no need to spend crazy money on trekking poles.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I vastly prefer cork grips to foam on poles for better grip, comfort, and moisture wicking, but ymmv. Other than that, the only major factor I look for in a pole is the quality of the locking mechanisms, since otherwise you end up having to re-extend the poles throughout your hike.

There's really no need to get anything high-end though. You can usually get a good, durable set of Black Diamonds at REI for $40-60, especially if you time it during a sale.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What my mom found really helped was bending your knee before your heel hits the ground and easing into the step. Practice first, because this puts a *lot* more strain on your thighs, and they'll be sore until you get used to it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

MMD3 posted:

We're heading to Jackson, WY the first week of August. Could anyone recommend some great hikes to do in/around the Tetons? I think we're looking for like 3-5 hour hikes rather than full-day outings.

The Cascade Canyon trail is a popular but pretty hike, and the crowds thin out fairly quickly as most people don't want to go higher than the overlook of the lake. You can take a ferry across Jenny Lake or hike around the lake to the start of it. I got hit with grape sized hail when I did it though, that was fun!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am searching for new hiking pants again. Can anyone comment on the quietness, durability, and quality of the Columbia and Prana convertible pants?

I have some noisy gander mountain pants and am hoping to find some pants that fit better and don't make so much noise.

Hitting pikes peak on august 3 and I would like to have my new pretty princess pants before then.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I just did nearly 100 miles last week in gym shorts. Never wearing "hiking" shorts/pants again unless it's cold or tons of brush.

That said, I had a pair of North Face convertibles for three years and was happy with them. I have Prana pants with the stretchy material and like those, too, but I just wear them instead of jeans.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I just did nearly 100 miles last week in gym shorts. Never wearing "hiking" shorts/pants again unless it's cold or tons of brush.

That said, I had a pair of North Face convertibles for three years and was happy with them. I have Prana pants with the stretchy material and like those, too, but I just wear them instead of jeans.

That is an option I will consider. The lack of pockets might be an issue, I take a lot of photos. More to the point I tend to be cold blooded but I could wear running tights or wind pants in the mornings.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

The lakes at the pass are finally thawing out. Still pretty drat cold to swim in.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I use my Prana zions as caving pants, so I would call them super - durable. Never really thought about how much noise they make. So either I'm really unobservant our they're relatively quiet.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I should qualify noisy, my current pants are some gander mountain fishing pants that I removed the liner on and they make a terrible (to me) swishing noise as I walk.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I have some Prana pants (Brion?) and while they're nice and hike well, they fit like a glove, they leave nothing to the imagination. To the point where I'm kinda embarrassed to hike in them. Never found great hiking pants. I wear these and they rule, the pant version appears to be just like Prana's, though (skin-tight).

edit: prana pants, yikes

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 14, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I did my first hike in new boots (danner crater rims) yesterday and only came away with one small blister so I'm pleasantly surprised. Did about 8 miles in Topanga at a good pace but the smog was pretty bad so we could barely see past Santa Monica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I bought some Prana Zions and while they feel amazing, they're not breathable enough to keep my lower body cool while hiking. I'm sticking with shorts with long underwear available as an option for when it's cold.