Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MAY 14 SWE list came out, 30 out of 183. Since I don't have access to the actual list so I cant cross out people who are advancing from the NOV 13 list so who knows where I am on that list.

I am tentatively hopeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat having 40 days off due to leave, travel, and house hunting. Gotta remember how to put on the uniform this Monday.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nwin posted:

drat having 40 days off due to leave, travel, and house hunting. Gotta remember how to put on the uniform this Monday.

iron a couple creases into it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

iron a couple creases into it

Ironing board got broke during the move. The movers throw 5 pounds of packing material around some printer paper and nothing on the important poo poo.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Ironing board got broke during the move. The movers throw 5 pounds of packing material around some printer paper and nothing on the important poo poo.

help my o3e pay can't cover a $10 ironing board

let me poo poo up some sk1's day with a damage claim for $10

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It was a joke but the point still stands that I'll never reason with the mover's 'don't-give-a-gently caress' mentality.

Besides bitch, you know this O-2E paid motherfucker got his poo poo pressed at the dry cleaner dammit.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

It was a joke but the point still stands that I'll never reason with the mover's 'don't-give-a-gently caress' mentality.

Besides bitch, you know this O-2E paid motherfucker got his poo poo pressed at the dry cleaner dammit.

them dudes pimpin at minimum wage and are bustin their backs all day lookin at all your nice poo poo thinkin about going home to a cold can of chef boyardee and a kid they never wanted. would you care?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The guys that delivered my poo poo actually stayed back and unpacked everything (like they are supposed to but always seem in a lovely mood about it). I finally found out the reason they were doing it:

"Well, if we finish this job too early then we have to drive to New Hampshire and help out some other guys loading up a house. gently caress that, we'll stay here in the AC and unpack whatever you want."

'Merica.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

The guys that delivered my poo poo actually stayed back and unpacked everything (like they are supposed to but always seem in a lovely mood about it). I finally found out the reason they were doing it:

"Well, if we finish this job too early then we have to drive to New Hampshire and help out some other guys loading up a house. gently caress that, we'll stay here in the AC and unpack whatever you want."

'Merica.

you didn't answer my question

I see the change is complete in you then

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shine my boots bitch

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Shine my boots bitch

uh no sir you work for me now, heh owned

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin posted:

Shine my boots bitch

my taxes pay your salary

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

my taxes pay your salary

You pay taxes for airsoft tourneys?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

uh no sir you work for me now, heh owned

Alright alright, I'll go yell at a 3rd class tomorrow and then have the chief try and chew me out for being too hard on them in the gentler, kinder CG.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

Alright alright, I'll go yell at a 3rd class tomorrow and then have the chief try and chew me out for being too hard on them in the gentler, kinder CG.

you can't fool me bud, I was briefly in the m world

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What part? The officer yelling or the chief having a sack?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

nwin posted:

What part? The officer yelling or the chick having a sack?

ftfy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin posted:

What part? The officer yelling or the chief having a sack?

either

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There's got to be a good story here...

quote:

ALAMEDA, Calif. – A Coast Guardsman being sought as a person of interest in the murder of a 59-year-old woman in Bellingham, Wash., was found dead from an apparent suicide in Show Low, Ariz., Sunday.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Michael G. Arnold, 33, from Boise, Idaho, was located by a joint-law enforcement team after he was reported absent without leave from Coast Guard Base Seattle Friday. Arnold was being pursued by law enforcement officials from the Bellingham Police Department, U.S. Marshals Service and the Coast Guard Investigative Service.

Arnold was stationed aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Sherman in San Diego but was temporarily assigned to Base Seattle pending the outcome of the investigation. The member was reported absent without leave and a multi-agency manhunt began Friday.

Deputy Marshals, agents from the Coast Guard and detectives with the Bellingham Police Department tracked the member to a home in Show Low where they found him dead.

The Bellingham Police Department is conducting an investigation in to the woman’s death.

The crew of Sherman departed for San Diego Thursday. The cutter had been in Bellingham at the Fairhaven Shipyard undergoing routine maintenance for about four months.

Arnold joined the Coast Guard Jan 5, 2009. He was currently serving aboard the Cutter Sherman as a gunner’s mate.

They're really not advancing GM's very fast are they.

Pepper Belly
Jan 10, 2010
This may have already been answered and I just missed it but I had a friend interested in joining the Coast Guard as an officer and he is getting conflicting answers about the ability for him to select a particular job when he signs his contract.

The Coast Guard website just says that officer candidates select a preference in OCS but his recruiter is telling him he can guarantee a specific job when he signs his contract.

Anyone with experience have an answer?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Pepper Belly posted:

This may have already been answered and I just missed it but I had a friend interested in joining the Coast Guard as an officer and he is getting conflicting answers about the ability for him to select a particular job when he signs his contract.

The Coast Guard website just says that officer candidates select a preference in OCS but his recruiter is telling him he can guarantee a specific job when he signs his contract.

Is he sure he's talking to an officer recruiter and not being hoodwinked into enlisting?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pepper Belly posted:

Short answer is it depends.

There's a few ways to get commissioned.

1) have a random degree-go to OCS

2) apply for the Blue 21 or wilks flight initiative

3) have a specific degree and apply for DCO ( direct commission officer)

#1 goes inline with what the website says. You go to OCS for 17 weeks and you basically select a list of some jobs that you want and hopefully you get something on your list. 90% of the time you can get something you want (except aviation...that's like 3% give or take), it's just you don't really have any say on location. So, if all you want is to be on a cutter, no problem...but you might get Alaska when you really wanted California.

#2 you apply like OCS and get a guaranteed flight contract...it's even more selective than the OCS panel. You go to OCS with the rest of people from #1 but you go to flight immediately- you don't compete for a flight slot in OCS because you already competed. You're just there to complete OCS.

#3 you have a specific degree that the CG is looking for (commonly things like law degrees or maybe some intel or computer science degrees). You go to a 5 week version of OCS instead of 17 weeks and you come out as anything from an ensign to a LT.

Bottom line-the recruiter doesn't know what the gently caress...which really isn't surprising. They don't have much training dealing with officer poo poo and there aren't any specific 'officer recruiters' that I know of. It's all enlisted members that can definitely help put the Paperwork together, but they don't know what it's like after you get selected because they haven't been.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Pepper Belly
Jan 10, 2010
Thanks for the quick responses, I thought it might be something like that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

In dirty enlisted news I am #4 on the list and may make OS2 in October.

Unless they decide to make none. :negative:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Will the coast guard reserve really make me an officer on a boarding team and/or patrol boat because I have a degree and I'm also already a cop? Or is this some kind of fable.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Untagged posted:

Will the coast guard reserve really make me an officer on a boarding team and/or patrol boat because I have a degree and I'm also already a cop? Or is this some kind of fable.

You could maybe do boardings as an enlisted reservist if you went through all the qualification process after the initial enlistment process, yes. A boarding officer is not necessarily a commissioned officer. In the case of reservists I've never heard of a commissioned reservist also being a boarding officer. (port-state control exams aren't boardings, nwin).

In other words, you'd be enlisting with a degree. Even with it only being a reserve commitment, you'd still be enlisting with a degree.

note: I've been out for a year and a half, and CG is going through RIF, but I really doubt it's bad enough that they're throwing reserve commissions at BO roles.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Yeah, I dug a little bit and what I think he meant was petty officer. Not commissioned officer. Perhaps there was some slight confusion. And it looks like that program doesn't really exist on the new coast guard website anyway. Either way never mind.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

nwin make a new thread tonight at midnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

OOPS!

• Locked thread