Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HortonNash posted:

Poacher turned gamekeeper?

Seems to me more like an oddly wealthy gamekeeper under whose aegis a suspicious number of birds have been poached getting a new, better estate to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So not only is she the sister of one of the people central to the cover-up, but she's also responsible for covering up accused pedophiles herself. This thing has got to be pretty bad considering the lengths they're going to to try to re-bury it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is this a real attempt to make this legit or an attempt by one part of the establishment to gently caress with another?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

notaspy posted:

Is this a real attempt to make this legit or an attempt by one part of the establishment to gently caress with another?

Make what legit, exactly?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Make what legit, exactly?

The announced enquiry into child abuse coverups.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
To be clear are you asking if this is a genuine attempt to get someone to lead the enquiry who isn't pro-cover up vs simply one elite faction attacking another?

Or are you asking a different question?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I feel like I'm having a stroke. Of course that's what they were asking, what on earth else could it mean?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke. Of course that's what they were asking, what on earth else could it mean?

Haha, thanks man. I can sometimes be obtuse in my questions. Glad someone understands me (I'm looking at you mum).

This feels more like the elites doing all they can to make this a cluster gently caress so when the truth comes out there is a convenient way of saying 'look, see it was never done properly, my friend was never a peado'

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a trial balloon in the Guardian yesterday. Police therapist explaining that investigating old child-abuse cases was (A) causing all the poor police officers PTSD and (B) distracting them from investigating modern cases "in which the children can actually be helped".

No points for noticing the contradiction between point A and point B.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

notaspy posted:

Haha, thanks man. I can sometimes be obtuse in my questions. Glad someone understands me (I'm looking at you mum).

This feels more like the elites doing all they can to make this a cluster gently caress so when the truth comes out there is a convenient way of saying 'look, see it was never done properly, my friend was never a peado'

I dunno, a quick clean inquiry that burns a few scapegoats would seem infinitely preferable to something open ended that lets various groups who actually care about the truth have cause to keep adding questions.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Better make sure those scapegoats don't rat out the ones you're trying cover.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Better make them dead scapegoats then I suppose.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thatcher wasn't only loving with kid's milk

quote:

Margaret Thatcher 'personally covered up' child abuse allegations against senior ministers

Margaret Thatcher personally covered up child abuse ­allegations made against one of her senior ministers, according to explosive new claims.

The Sunday People reports Tory Prime Minister is said to have held a high-powered meeting with the rising star, who was being tipped for promotion, and told him: “You have to clean up your sexual act.”

It followed an allegation that the minister had sexually abused young boys at the home of one of his political allies in 1982.

However the minister apparently ignored the warnings.

It is claimed that four years later he was spotted by police seeking young boys for sex at Victoria railway station in London.

But no action was taken.

The extraordinary claims – made to the Sunday People by a source with inside knowledge of Scotland Yard in the early 1980s – are now expected to be put before the Westminster child abuse ­inquiry announced last week by the Prime Minister.

They go to the very heart of claims that there was an Establishment cover-up to protect politicians , judges and police officers involved in a sick ­paedophile network.

David Cameron has already agreed to a full-scale investigation into historical allegations of child abuse.

He has appointed Lady Butler-Sloss, a retired senior judge who chaired the Cleveland child abuse inquiry in the late 1980s, to head the investigation.

And although the probe is in its ­infancy, its findings could be explosive – particularly if evidence emerges that a former Prime Minister knew about the allegations.

Labour MP Tom Watson said: “If true, these extraordinary ­revelations reveal a remarkable state of affairs – so much so that they’re almost impossible to imagine.

“Yet that is what people said about Jimmy Savile and look what happened with him.

“These claims should be investigated by the new child-abuse inquiry.”

According to the source, the minister’s alleged interest in abusing young boys first came to light after he stayed at the home of a constituency agent.

The agent, responsible for ­securing local election success for the Tory MP, is believed to have alerted authorities.

A high-level meeting involving then Prime Minister Mrs Thatcher, Home Secretary Willie Whitelaw, a senior ­policeman and an MI5 officer was held to discuss his alleged behaviour.

The minister, according to the source, was then summoned to 10 Downing Street.

But, instead of being disciplined or sacked, the minister was warned about his future behaviour and the matter was swept under the carpet.

Four years later, fresh allegations surfaced.

In 1986, the politician was alleged to have been found seeking rent boys in the men’s toilets at Victoria railway station in central London.

The toilets were the target of an undercover sting by Scotland Yard detectives.

Officers approached the minister and warned him about his behaviour. It is believed a report was filed by a CID officer.

Our source says this information was relayed personally to him at the time by Alec Marnoch, a highly respected police officer and Operations Commander of the Yard’s No 8 Area which covers Westminster and the West End.

Mr Marnoch, who died aged 58 in 1999 soon after his retirement, also ­intimated to the source that police working in Piccadilly Circus had got a report of the same politician importuning at one of London’s most notorious rent-boy haunts – the “chicken rack”.

The “chicken rack” was a set of metal railings close to Piccadilly underground station which was a vice hotspot in the 1980s.

Boys as young as 13 waited there to be picked up by men for sex – often VIPs such as politicians, TV stars or even policemen.

Scotland Yard was unable to confirm whether the politician had been named in connection with either the “chicken rack” or Victoria Station.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “We will fully co-operate with the panel chaired by Baroness Butler-Sloss and provide detail of relevant information.

“While these and live police investigations are ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

The Sunday People has been leading the way since Mr Watson first stunned Parliament and PM David Cameron in October 2012 with claims of a high-profile paedophile network with links to 10 Downing Street.

Since breaking the story, we have produced a string of exclusives about the alleged VIP paedophile ring and reveal how far it reached.

We first revealed the existence of the “Dickens dossier” which was ­handed to then Home Secretary Leon Brittan.

Its disappearance has prompted the Butler-Sloss inquiry.

The dossier, compiled by now-dead MP Geoffrey Dickens , contained information that would blow the lid off a secret VIP paedophile network, according to Mr Dickens’s son Barry.

He says that in the weeks after his father submitted the dossier, the family’s home was twice “professionally” burgled.

The Home Office admits there is no trace of the dossier and that 114 “potentially relevant files” have been destroyed or lost.

The Home Office was forced to defend Baroness Butler-Sloss, 80, after it was claimed she buried allegations about a bishop from a child-abuse review in 2011.

She reportedly told a victim she did not want to include the allegations in a review of how the Church of England dealt with two paedophile priests because she “cared about the Church” and “the Press would love a bishop”.

A Home Office spokesman said: “The integrity of Baroness Butler-Sloss is beyond reproach and we stand by her appointment unreservedly.”

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Rare moment when you find out that Thatcher was worse than you ever imagined she could have been.

BRB, got to print this cover off and shove it into the faces of everyone who ever called her "The Lady".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Brown Moses posted:

So what you're saying is that this song is no longer just a metaphor?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

What was that about Ł15m towards a Thatcher museum?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What was that about Ł15m towards a Thatcher museum?

Old story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/10007828/David-Cameron-gives-backing-to-15million-Thatcher-museum.html

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
One would assume if there were any truth to this there would be retaliatory leaks of allegations about a Labour figures' misdeed and on that note:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/13/labour-peer-letters-boy-questions

quote:

Copies of old letters sent to a young boy in a care home by a Labour peer now at the centre of paedophile allegations reveal how the politician cultivated an extremely close relationship with the teenager over a two-year period.

The letters, which have been seen by the Observer, raise serious questions about the peer's motives. Several are signed with "love from" and show how the peer was assiduous in writing to the boy and arranging for them to meet, sometimes in a hotel. The boy, now a married man with children, has alleged that he was sexually abused by the peer.

The existence of the letters – if not their content – has been known about in many quarters for many years. Despite allegations about the peer, no action was taken and he was robustly defended by a number of politicians, including at least one prominent MP who has been openly critical of the government's response to allegations of historical child abuse by MPs and peers.

Still though with the focus on establishment paedophiles it could simply be these stories are coming out as a consequence of that.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
:stare:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-child-abuse-whistleblower-i-3848987

quote:

Senior Tory cabinet ministers were supplied with underage boys for sex parties, it is sensationally claimed.

Former Conservative activist Anthony Gilberthorpe said he told Margaret Thatcher 25 years ago about what he had witnessed and gave her names of those involved.

His allegations that he saw top Tories having sex with boys comes after David Cameron launched a Government inquiry into claims of a cover-up.

Anthony, 52, said: “I am prepared to speak to the inquiry. I believe I am a key witness.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I personally would liked to have see that old hag alive and lucid while the allegations were read against her. But then again the fact that she's in hell is why these charges were made public and not shuffled under the rug, I assume.

E: you could say she cloaked ongoing molestation and child rape in an iron curtain of secrecy.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 13, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:ohdear: I must be terrible because I want Reagan to somehow be implicated in all of this.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

FAUXTON posted:

I personally would liked to have see that old hag alive and lucid while the allegations were read against her. But then again the fact that she's in hell is why these charges were made public and not shuffled under the rug, I assume.

E: you could say she cloaked ongoing molestation and child rape in an iron curtain of secrecy.

It also gives a chance for those who have previously apologised for or idolised her to call it a big witch hunt which is only happening now because she's dead and can't fight back. Though after the way Saville went, I think a lot of people will be a bit more tight lipped in offering defence.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

:ohdear: I must be terrible because I want Reagan to somehow be implicated in all of this.

Yeah, you actually are terrible. "Wow I hope the monstrous abuse of dozens or maybe hundreds of children is politically convenient for me" is not a very nice sentiment.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
So, given that sexual abuse of children now seems to have been fairly widespread in the 70s, do we think this kind of thing still goes on now among politicians and celebrities (obviously it has been fairly common in the Catholic church in the more recent past)? If not, what has changed since the 70s? Was child abuse just not considered to be as beyond the pale as it now is?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's probably no more child abuse back then than there is now, it's just that it seems these things have a very slow fuse as due to our crazy libel laws even the insinuation that something is going on ('Why is Lord McAlpine trending?') will get you into some serious poo poo if you don't have 100% hard proof and even then it will not be enough if that person is important enough.

How much goes on today? Impossible to say, because everything is stacked against the victims.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Whitefish posted:

So, given that sexual abuse of children now seems to have been fairly widespread in the 70s, do we think this kind of thing still goes on now among politicians and celebrities (obviously it has been fairly common in the Catholic church in the more recent past)? If not, what has changed since the 70s? Was child abuse just not considered to be as beyond the pale as it now is?

Well, the Mirror says that a currently-serving cabinet minister was seen at the Thatcherite parties, so that's a bit of a hint.

Didn't say in what capacity, though, so it might have just been William Hague.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Really good piece in the Graun about the new Savile biography coming out. Well worth a read.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/13/jimmy-savile-man-who-knew-him-best-dan-davies-in-plain-sight

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Whitefish posted:

Rohypnol etc have become more easily available since then which could be a factor in reducing the number of allegations if they aren't simply being covered up.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Rohypnol etc have become more easily available since then which could be a factor in reducing the number of allegations if they aren't simply being covered up.

At the same time child protection and safeguarding has improved considerably in places like schools and hospitals over the last decade (and I don't just mean the CRB/DBS certificate stuff, but protocols, training and even the design of buildings). The changes in how children are treated in school now compared to when I was at school in the 80s and 90s is quite staggering.

The majority of abuse will always occur in the child's own home or the home of their friends or family, that's why it's important that professionals that encounter children have the training to deal with any disclosures (how to properly record a disclosure, not as easy as you might imagine, and who to report it to) and that there are protocols to ensure that disclosures are investigated by the appropriate body.

I don't know if the police now are better at dealing with victims, I hope they are.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Benzos are rarely used in child sexual abuse mostly because they can't really resist and erasing their memory of events isn't a priority for child abusers. If they want a sedative, alcohol is much easier to use - too easy to overdose children with other sedatives.

Rohypnol was discontinued by the manufacturer in the mid-1980s.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Rohypnol was discontinued by the manufacturer in the mid-1980s.

Flunitrazepam isn't even in the BNF as far as I can see.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Whitefish posted:

The paedophiles from the 70s are dead and can no longer sue for libel. There are much more recent allegations but you won't see them discussed in the press as the alleged paedophiles are still very much alive (Some of them even still in government).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gum posted:

The paedophiles from the 70s are dead and can no longer sue for libel. There are much more recent allegations but you won't see them discussed in the press as the alleged paedophiles are still very much alive (Some of them even still in government).

Well, not by name, anyway. That Mirror article was pretty clear about a currently-serving Cabinet minister being at the Thatcherite sex parties.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, not by name, anyway. That Mirror article was pretty clear about a currently-serving Cabinet minister being at the Thatcherite sex parties.

I'm surprised they even went that far. After all, McAlpine managed to get damages out of the BBC even though they never mentioned him by name.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So who thinks this might be in retaliation to the phone hacking convictions?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

So who thinks this might be in retaliation to the phone hacking convictions?

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it. Particularly the way the Times is bigging itself up as the number one source on the Westminster scandal.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

Gum posted:

Yeah, I guess that is a key aspect of it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Whitefish posted:

Some food for thought. The first heterosexual age of consent was set in 1275, at 12 years old. It stayed there for as near as dammit exactly 600 years; then was raised to 13 in 1875, and subsequently to 16 in 1885; so in 1970, a preteen age of consent was only just on the verge of passing out of living memory.

Now, consider that societal attitudes usually don't change in precise lockstep to the law, and that we can all think of something that is currently illegal but still believed by at least a sizeable minority to be a reasonable thing to do.

Now, add that to the mother of all flagrantly hypocritical Victorian/Edwardian concepts, the one about how pornography was completely indecent and sinful and utterly unacceptable, while a good solid intellectual manly appreciation of the nude form was something quite, quite different. As practised by (among many others) one Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Scouts:

quote:

"Another incident illustrative of Baden-Powell's appreciation of naked boys occurred at Charterhouse, when he was staying overnight at the school with his old friend A. H. Tod, who had been in the Rifle Corps and in the football 1st XI with him. In November 1919 Tod was over the retirement age but still teaching because it was wartime and all the younger staff had joined up. 'Stayed with Tod,' Stephe wrote in his diary. 'Tod's photos of naked boys and trees etc. Excellent.'. That a bachelor housemaster should have taken large numbers of nude photographs of his boys evidently did not strike Baden-Powell as undesirable. A few days later he wrote to Tod about starting a Scout troop at the school and added that he would soon be visiting Charterhouse again, 'which will give me the opportunity of seeing the football; and possibly I might get a further look at those wonderful photographs of yours!'

From Tim Jeal's biography of B-P. In that context, it's a lot easier to see how this sort of thing comes to happen. That's not a defence, of course; just an explanation.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

I do wonder whether there has been a change of culture in some respect, at least in certain parts of society. Perhaps this is a prejudice on my part against private schools, but my feeling is that in the earlier part of the 20th Century there was this ideal of 'Greek love' which was more common in private schools. And part of that ideal involves older men having relationships with younger men and boys. Maybe that's completely unfounded and wacky though.

I just feel that either sexual abuse of children is far far more widespread than commonly thought (in which case the Paedogeddon stuff that Brass Eye made fun of wasn't so far from the mark), or there's something specific about the era and the backgrounds of the people involved that makes it possible for so many members of Parliament and the Government in the 70s and 80s to be (allegedly) linked to this sort of thing. I mean, the allegations that are currently flying around make it sound like a good proportion of the Cabinet was doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Whitefish posted:

I do wonder whether there has been a change of culture in some respect, at least in certain parts of society. Perhaps this is a prejudice on my part against private schools, but my feeling is that in the earlier part of the 20th Century there was this ideal of 'Greek love' which was more common in private schools. And part of that ideal involves older men having relationships with younger men and boys. Maybe that's completely unfounded and wacky though.

I just feel that either sexual abuse of children is far far more widespread than commonly thought (in which case the Paedogeddon stuff that Brass Eye made fun of wasn't so far from the mark), or there's something specific about the era and the backgrounds of the people involved that makes it possible for so many members of Parliament and the Government in the 70s and 80s to be (allegedly) linked to this sort of thing. I mean, the allegations that are currently flying around make it sound like a good proportion of the Cabinet was doing it.

I think you're over-thinking it a bit - Cyril Smith certainly didn't come from that class.

Instead, consider that some people go into politics because they like power over others, and extrapolate from there why there may be a higher proportion of sexual predators (paedophile or not) in the Palace of Westminster.

Then think about the other sorts of jobs those sort of people end up in - religion, education, the police, and think about how that might possibly affect reporting and investigation of such crimes. Not saying that's the case, but it's not impossible.

• Locked thread