Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Counterpoint: none of the Arrested Development season 4 episodes needed to be as long as they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

1st AD posted:

Counterpoint: none of the Arrested Development season 4 episodes needed to be as long as they were.

Counter-counter point: this is a different show run by different people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Triple counter-point: run-time is a lazy excuse for lackluster writing. Professional writers should be able to tell a coherent and enjoyable story no matter the length.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Quadruple counter-point: Allowing an artist to occasionally color outside the lines is usually a strength, not a weakness.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd rebut that, but I don't know what comes after quadruple.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Quintuple! Keep it going!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I work in film, dingleberry.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

1st AD posted:

Blasphemy! It went for exactly as long as if should have, bug hey if they wanna put out any more seasons.. I've got the itch.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

FactsAreUseless posted:

You'd be amazed at how quickly alcohol will burn through your money.

Yeah, but he's in the Ketel One Alliance now. That's gotta save some money.

And as for special online director's cuts and whatnot, I wouldn't be opposed to shell out $20 for a 13-episode season of Community that already included commentaries and behind-the-scenes videos and such if I got to legally own it. That's pretty much the only reason to buy DVD's anymore anyway. By offering that content up front, even just digitally, that could net Yahoo some decent money.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

You'd be amazed at how quickly alcohol will burn through your money.

Also he's into tabletop gaming and plastic wizards and goblins can be expensive as gently caress.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

ashpanash posted:

Quadruple counter-point: Allowing an artist to occasionally color outside the lines is usually a strength, not a weakness.

Quintuple counterpoint: http://youtu.be/wXw6znXPfy4

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Man, with all the news about the show coming back I kept wondering if they were going to bring back Pierce. I had completely forgotten that they'd killed off the character, partially due to all the distraction about Chevy Chase but also because the show did such a weird, unemotional, cheap, crummy sendoff for that character. :(

I would be totally fine with them just retconning him back to life or revealing he elaborately faked his death to avoid taxes.

Also regarding show length, it's SUPER weird to me that the digital and commercial-less model of TV still has standard episode lengths at all. Like why aren't these shows just as long or short as they need to be when they CAN be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....do you mean the polygraph episode by the "weird, unemotional, cheap, crummy sendoff"?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, the one that ends with "that character you spent three great years with accidentally and grotesquely masturbated to death haha end credits". This isn't Rick and Morty, like goddamn.

(Plus while he got some nice parting words for characters through Walton Goggins, he had no real goodbye for Aybed and that kinda sucks.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I've always thought that joke was too off-putting and out of place as well, but I don't think it dilutes the overall episode or Pierce's sendoff at all. And Abed didn't get a very emotional sendoff but that part was one of my biggest laughs of the season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pierce died in order to have one last gift for his only true friends. I think that's touching.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

Honestly I've always thought that joke was too off-putting and out of place as well, but I don't think it dilutes the overall episode or Pierce's sendoff at all. And Abed didn't get a very emotional sendoff but that part was one of my biggest laughs of the season.

Yeah, this was another case of Dan Harmon the twat encroaching too much on Dan Harmon the show runner.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You guys are nuts. That was one of the best episodes last season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VagueRant posted:

Also regarding show length, it's SUPER weird to me that the digital and commercial-less model of TV still has standard episode lengths at all. Like why aren't these shows just as long or short as they need to be when they CAN be.

Because producers are used to a certain length and if you don't constrain them bad things will happen.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pierce died in order to have one last gift for his only true friends. I think that's touching.
Quite literally. :v:

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Dude's got cash to burn, seeing as how he pays for a lot of the music licenses and title sequence changes out-of-pocket.

How does he have this much money?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

juniperjones posted:

He created a show and got paid substantially for his work since it was for Sony and NBC.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

juniperjones posted:

He's enormously successful and competent at his job, and doesn't spend most of the very large amount of money he makes because he's a workaholic/alcoholic loner?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 10, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, the one that ends with "that character you spent three great years with accidentally and grotesquely masturbated to death haha end credits". This isn't Rick and Morty, like goddamn.

(Plus while he got some nice parting words for characters through Walton Goggins, he had no real goodbye for Aybed and that kinda sucks.)

Pierce was crude, petty, unapologetic, and just tried way too hard to be relevant. He got an extremely Pierce-like send-off. A " heartfelt" ending for Pierce would have been awful.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Lord Of Texas posted:

Pierce was crude, petty, unapologetic, and just tried way too hard to be relevant. He got an extremely Pierce-like send-off. A " heartfelt" ending for Pierce would have been awful.

So he was the embodiment of modern television?

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Lord Of Texas posted:

This. Likewise, those who want to blame Chase's departure on Dan Harmon should remember that Chevy was fired from the show (and banned from the set) by Sony during the 4th season for being a racist rear end in a top hat. In fact, Dan wanted to have Chevy back for a proper send-off when Dan returned in season 5, but due to Sony's ban, the best he could come up with was the hologram sequence, which he was able to record at Chevy's house.
Harmon and Chase actually get along pretty well, according to Dan on Harmontown; the "feud" was pretty much entirely a tabloid creation. They yelled at each other because they have similarly big egos and Chevy can be a huge baby, but they understood each other because Dan can be too [goddamnit, here I was going to link the clip of Dan running through the Community writers' room with only a diaper on, but apparently he thought better of that being on the Internet and has since removed it].

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you think Dan Harmon would pass on doing a Force Ghost of Pierce if given the chance you give him too much credit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The closing credits scene on the shows final episode should just show Troy waking up in Pierces mansion, going to the bathroom and discovering Pierce in the shower.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Abed's tracking device on Pierce's body must come up again- I'd put my money on a Halloween episode.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Senor Tron posted:

The closing credits scene on the shows final episode should just show Troy waking up in Pierces mansion, going to the bathroom and discovering Pierce in the shower.

..dead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lol greenblats a dick

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Eh, it doesn't seem like too dickish a response to me. Just kind of upfront. I did like him calling out the "Six seasons and a movie" meme. Mainly because I hate how ever-present it is now.

Anyway, have we heard whether John Oliver will be back or not? I know that at some point, he'd commented he'd like to be.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

TV Guide posted:

But last season's recurring stars are busy: John Oliver (Professor Duncan) has his HBO talk show and won't return, while Jonathan Banks (Professor Hickey) is shooting AMC's Better Call Saul (but could make a guest appearance).

I'm not sure if he's actually confirmed it or not.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Sakarja posted:

I'm not sure if he's actually confirmed it or not.

Even if they're not regulars, I really hope they still pop up for an episode or two. They really helped season five. And I need to know if Hickey's comic ever gets picked up.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Maybe that's their in-show reason for writing him out as a regular. Jim the Duck makes it big so he doesn't have to teach at Greendale anymore.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Angry Walrus posted:

Maybe that's their in-show reason for writing him out as a regular. Jim the Duck makes it big so he doesn't have to teach at Greendale anymore.

His pop in episode will be showing up at a Comicon as a panelist where Abed goes all Dr. Spacetime part 2.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Rewatching season 5, and the only joke that has fallen flat so far was the sequence with Abed and the deaf girl. Except maybe "Sandals. Sandals."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Angry Walrus posted:

That would be great.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Angry Walrus posted:

Publishers are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spacebump posted:

Publishers are interested.

What the hell???

• Locked thread