Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So, T-Minute 1 month to due date for our first child and we've officially entered "it could happen any time" phase! (I mean in our own heads)

My wife was packing her go-bag last night and it prompted me to ask here - what were some things you didn't pack that maybe you wish you would have for your hospital stay? She has the standard night gown/slippers/toothbrush kind of stuff. But was there anything out of the ordinary you wish you would have had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You're going to want to pack towels. Hospital towels are garbage. Bring non-white ones, so yours don't accidentally end up in the hospital laundry.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My favorite tea. The kind they had at my hospital was plentiful, but weaker than piss. Luckily a friend bought me in some!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I was really glad I'd packed my nursing supplies (Boppy pillow and Motherlove cream especially) since I was nursing constantly. Also hair ties, an iPad loaded with music, and chapstick.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
High waisted/granny underwear. I ended up having an emergency c-section and the only underwear I had were bikini style with the elastic right over the incision. I had to wear my partners jockeys the whole time :toot:

Also, having some sort of feeding/diaper etc tracking app on your phone is really helpful, so when you're all unslept and stuff you can deal with any old bitches who march in clipboard in hand and demand you tell them how many minutes you fed on each side and when for the last 10 hours off the top of your head for some reason by just shoving the phone in their faces. (I really didn't have the best hospital experience :( )

Ambystoma fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 7, 2014

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

More snacks.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I wish I'd brought nursing pads and way more nightgowns and sleep bras. I had a c-section, so I was in there a bit longer, and I leaked through all my stuff :( I had my husband bring a stack of pillows and leave them in the car in case I wanted them, and I was really glad to have them later.

This varies depending on person, but my little guy ended up being so small that the bigger newborn clothes didn't fit him, and I'd only bought 0-3 stuff because everyone says that they'll only wear newborn for a short time. I would've liked seeing him in things that fit! I also didn't know that you bring the baby's clothes to the hospital, apart from the going-home outfit. I was a little clueless.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Alterian posted:

More snacks.

Seriously.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

This varies depending on person, but my little guy ended up being so small that the bigger newborn clothes didn't fit him, and I'd only bought 0-3 stuff because everyone says that they'll only wear newborn for a short time. I would've liked seeing him in things that fit! I also didn't know that you bring the baby's clothes to the hospital, apart from the going-home outfit. I was a little clueless.

I think this is probably something addressed at the hospital tour, if you have one. My hospital DID provide all the clothes for my son for his entire 1 month stay in NICU, other than if I had a particular outfit I wanted to put him in for pictures.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

I also didn't know that you bring the baby's clothes to the hospital, apart from the going-home outfit.

Call your hospital and ask what they provide for mum/baby and what you need to bring yourself, since it differs from place to place. My hospital provided baby clothes for the stay and everything else baby needed, and most things for mum. I didn't miss anything, but I had no need for any of my own underwear - giant hospital mesh panties all the way! PS. Steal as many mesh panties and giant pads as you can get your grubby mitts on, you'll need them at home too.

Top things I were glad I'd brought, were nursing pads (the hospital didn't provide those :(), comfy clothes and things to eat - I brought homemade cinnamon buns, and when I finally got to eat them they were the best things I'd ever tasted in my life.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Maybe I just didn't bleed as much but I couldn't stand the giant hospital pads. I used mostly always pads which the hospital didn't supply.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My hospital didn't provide anything (ok, they gave us some cotton balls), and I made the mistake too of only having like one newborn size outfit and the rest were 0-3 months. My son didn't even fit into any of the 0-3 month stuff until he was 2 months old.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

Oh, yeah - bring tons of baby clothes. I already knew I was having a giant so we got the size right but I seriously thought a baby would need one cute outfit for day and then a change to sleep in :laffo:. My son has reflux and vomiting issues and regularly goes through 6 plus costume changes but I'm pretty sure all babies go through a few outfits a day so pack lots! I had to send my partner home with a bag full of washing on day two and a plea to "bring all his stuff" so don't be me.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Sockmuppet posted:

Steal as many mesh panties and giant pads as you can get your grubby mitts on, you'll need them at home too.
This. I brought home a few pairs those mesh panties and I wish I had taken more from the hospital. I looked online when I ran out, and the hospital brand of disposable panties sold for $6/pair!

Pinkmetallic
Jul 1, 2005
Check to see if your hospital provides baby wipes...ours did not, so we brought our own.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Posting in this thread again. Only about 5/6 weeks along but feeling some serious nerves. I don't know that I'll be comfortable until after I pass the point that we were the last time I was pregnant and miscarried. Anyone have any calming suggestions?

Any food stuffs you really loved eating in your first trimester? Any exercise routines that were good/helpful?

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I had a baby

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Funhilde posted:

Posting in this thread again. Only about 5/6 weeks along but feeling some serious nerves. I don't know that I'll be comfortable until after I pass the point that we were the last time I was pregnant and miscarried. Anyone have any calming suggestions?

Any food stuffs you really loved eating in your first trimester? Any exercise routines that were good/helpful?

Congratulations and good luck!

I was pretty sick, but when I wasn't sick I craved eggs all the time... especially farm-fresh ones. The yolk is good for building brains!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Congratulations, kells! Those cheeks :3:.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

Funhilde posted:

Any food stuffs you really loved eating in your first trimester?

I'm around 12 weeks and all I've craved so far is fruit. My husband and I eat about 3 pineapples a week at this point, and I eat berries like they are never going to grow again.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, pineapple for me too - I was going through a big bottle of pure juice daily. I was pretty obsessed with cashew nuts as well which probably contributed to my crazy amount of weight gain :toot:
(I'm on track to be back to normal by 9 months pp but jeez, I sure miss my old jeans)

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Funhilde posted:

I could not get enough basil. Fortunately it was fresh and cheap at our market, so I made litres of pesto to get me through. To this day my daughter loves basil. I enjoyed raisins, too. Kilos and kilos of raisins. They were my go-to snack when I woke up in the middle of the night for a pee and a nibble, and first thing in the morning to calm the queasiness. My midwife kept recommending crackers, but raisins felt more nutritious and filling.

As for exercise, I was extremely fit going into my pregnancy, but I had to let my level of fitness drop because a lot of what I was doing didn't feel "right" to my body once I was pregnant. Really listen to what your body wants and needs. It might be a swim for cardio, or it might be a gentle walk and extra sleep. If you pay attention you'll do fine. Good luck!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Funhilde posted:

I don't know if it helps at all, but it's very normal to feel that way after a loss. <3

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
Has anyone tried Lecithin supplements for recurring clogged ducts? I get them like once a week now but I hear these supplements can help. Otherwise I'm giving serious consideration to cutting my boobs off.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lodge posted:

Has anyone tried Lecithin supplements for recurring clogged ducts? I get them like once a week now but I hear these supplements can help. Otherwise I'm giving serious consideration to cutting my boobs off.

Yep! Worked like a charm for me :) Well, I can't guarantee that it was the Lecitin that did the trick - I had clogged ducts all the time during the first few weeks, but it's normal to have problems at first that then work themselves out as your body adjusts to your babys nursing needs, but I never had clogged ducts after I started taking Leticin and being careful about wearing wool inserts outside, even if it was the middle of summer. I took like triple the recommended dose at first, then I went down to the regular dose once I'd gone a few weeks without any clogged ducts.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Black Lodge posted:

They definitely can help. If you have a really persistent one, ultrasound can be used to break it up.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Do you have properly fitting bras? Or do you wear your baby in something that puts pressure on your breast in the area of the clog? Once a week is crazy.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013

Sockmuppet posted:

Yep! Worked like a charm for me :) Well, I can't guarantee that it was the Lecitin that did the trick - I had clogged ducts all the time during the first few weeks, but it's normal to have problems at first that then work themselves out as your body adjusts to your babys nursing needs, but I never had clogged ducts after I started taking Leticin and being careful about wearing wool inserts outside, even if it was the middle of summer. I took like triple the recommended dose at first, then I went down to the regular dose once I'd gone a few weeks without any clogged ducts.

She's 3 months old now, so it's not the initial over-supply that comes at the beginning. And I don't think it's my bra because I've been using the same kind since she was born without issue. It's not binding at all but anything is possible.

Did you notice any side effects from the lecithin or any changes in your milk or supply? These constant blockages are very painful and discouraging.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Does anyone have advice for dealing with hip and back pain? I had a little bit of discomfort with my first kid, but this time it feels worse. It probably doesn't help that I have to lift a toddler several times a day. Luckily I have a little over a month to go.

Replying a little bit late to the "what to do for the new parents" question, but you can always offer to watch the baby while Mom runs small errands. Those first few outings to the grocery store for bread are a godsend (Fresh air! Interaction with adults!). If Mom doesn't feel comfortable with someone watching her child that early on, offer to run the errand for her. Small trips aren't always easy when you're messing with the car seat, timing it so your child has fully napped and hopefully won't poop, etc.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lodge posted:

Did you notice any side effects from the lecithin or any changes in your milk or supply? These constant blockages are very painful and discouraging.

Nothing. If it wheren't for the clogged ducts stopping, I never would've noticed I was taking it, even at triple doses. It only makes the fat in the milk less likely to "stick" in the ducts, as it were.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013

Sockmuppet posted:

Nothing. If it wheren't for the clogged ducts stopping, I never would've noticed I was taking it, even at triple doses. It only makes the fat in the milk less likely to "stick" in the ducts, as it were.

Thank you!! I don't want to quit breast feeding but these clogs are driving me up the wall. Hopefully this will help!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lodge posted:

Thank you!! I don't want to quit breast feeding but these clogs are driving me up the wall. Hopefully this will help!

I hope it does! I also made a point of positioning her so that she drained the part of the breast that was clogged first, and after nursing in the morning I'd take a hot shower and massage and hand-milk out any remaining lumps. And I think the wool inserts played a part too. The fat content in breast milk is very high, so it's no wonder it can have a hard time traveling through narrow milk ducts.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013

Sockmuppet posted:

I hope it does! I also made a point of positioning her so that she drained the part of the breast that was clogged first.

Unfortunately these clogs seem to happen up top so that would involve some nursing gymnastics. I guess we'll have to get more creative.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Black Lodge posted:

Unfortunately these clogs seem to happen up top so that would involve some nursing gymnastics. I guess we'll have to get more creative.

You can put your baby lying over your shoulder. Nursing on all fours over the baby is also good for clogs.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

skeetied posted:

Nursing on all fours over the baby is also good for clogs.

I had a bunch of clogs too, but I felt like a fool even trying this... hands and knees, naked from the waist up, dangling my boobs in my puzzled daughter's face. That is NOT the time for someone to walk in!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Peaches and Plums have been recalled for Listeria. Since it's pretty important to avoid I thought I'd post it here.
http://www.9news.com/story/money/personal-finance/recalls/2014/07/21/listeria-peaches-plums-nectarines/12956429/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I adopted a newborn late last month. While we weren't pregnant ourselves, it was still quite the ride.

Just starting to sleep through the night (well, 6 hours or so) now that he's 1 month. He's been a great baby and we can't wait to watch him grow up.

Newborn:

1 month:

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Congratulations!

Lookit those chubby wittle legs :3:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Thwomp posted:

My wife and I adopted a newborn late last month. While we weren't pregnant ourselves, it was still quite the ride.

Just starting to sleep through the night (well, 6 hours or so) now that he's 1 month. He's been a great baby and we can't wait to watch him grow up.

Newborn:

1 month:

So cute! Would you be willing to share your adoption story? (Unless this isn't the right place for it?) I'm always so curious about how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's actually an Adoption thread here in A/T link. It just so happened to start up shortly before we started our adoption process.

Edit:

But to put it briefly, a mutual friend put us in touch with a young woman who wanted to wanted to give up her child for adoption. This mutual friend thought my wife and I would be good parents and knew we couldn't have kids of our own. We started the process in January and actually met the birth mother in late-March.

This kind of adoption is known as a private or independent adoption due to it not being arranged by an agency. So essentially it was just the legal arrangement between the birth mother, my wife and I, and the two states. Still, we took courses, had an outside agency make home visits to see how we were doing, got references, got CPR training, etc to satisfy the inter-state requirements.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 22, 2014