Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There was a post around twenty pages back either here or in the Fiesta thread where there was a way a Calculator was guaranteed to hit every enemy and (maybe) not every party member of yours, and when you factor in Holy...sheeeeeit. That being said, I never knew about that way when playing the game, so I never used it. I just set the Calculator to AI mode and won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gologle posted:

There was a post around twenty pages back either here or in the Fiesta thread where there was a way a Calculator was guaranteed to hit every enemy and (maybe) not every party member of yours, and when you factor in Holy...sheeeeeit. That being said, I never knew about that way when playing the game, so I never used it. I just set the Calculator to AI mode and won the game.

If your calc has a speed rating of 10, whenever it is his turn the other units will always have an ATB multipliable by 10 because of how the game calculates speeds. So whatever you use will hit every unit on the map. You can equip an armor that absorbs Holy damage. You can continue to spam Holy on every unit for the rest of the game

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

maou shoujo posted:

I'm not sure what they were thinking with Calculators in the first place. Math Skill lets you cast almost any spell from Priest/Wizard/Time Mage/Oracle, with no MP cost, no charge time, infinite range, that can easily hit every unit on the field at once, or that can be tweaked to specify targets by putting a little more thought into it. Like, what the gently caress? That has got to be the most overpowered ability I've seen in any RPG.

I'm pretty sure they thought that it would be to hard and confusing for people who just wanted a cool rpg with neat classes to mess with, and power gamers/repeat players would like discovering this cool broken thing you can do in the game.

I mean to be honest, if you do not know what you are doing getting a calculator JP can be really difficult thanks to their abysmal speed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Calculators have pretty terrible magic too, along with everything else, so they were probably balancing Math Skill around the class using it being terrible. Just like Draw Out is balanced around the user having mediocre magic and few ways to boost it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My take on Calculator was always that it was supposed to be a broken class for nerds to use to mess around with. It wasn't really supposed to be balanced. Just taking a cursory look at its stats and abilities gives this impression. It is however a pretty decent time sink to bring take a new recruit to badass Calc so I think they figured the time invested in actually thinking through and building a great Calc was the balancing factor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There are a number of downsides to Arithmeticians. They can only use spells they had already learned, they have a pretty poor Magic stat so their attacks end up being pretty wimpy, their attacks strike all targets, and most of all their speed is absolutely atrocious. Seriously it's about half that of the average-speed classes.

The first two problems are pretty easy to rectify. Mage skill is needed to even have access to Arithmeticians anyway and you should always be using Black Mages to run calculations (ditto for Iado/Draw Out) for maximum impact. That takes care of the first two issues. Getting over the targeting everything issue is just a matter of knowing the game mechanics. Not everyone thinks about casting Holy while all of your team are wearing Holy-absorbing equipment. Hell, I still don't know what equipment that is :shrug:. Barring that, learning all the variables and divisors means you have a lot to play with and you're bound to find something that hits anything but your own dudes.

The biggest hurdle is getting them JP, which can be annoying because of their abysmal speed stat. But again, knowing the mechanics helps, because apparently all you need is enough to learn CT/5 and then change them back to Black Mage, manipulate their speed to 10, and then watch everything die with the aforementioned Holy-absorbing equipment :v:

EDIT: Oh, and it's not like you, the player, needs to do any calculating yourself to see who will and won't be hit by the spells. All would-be targets are highlighted when you select the spell before confirming to cast it.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 9, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What does a cactus use to measure up all of its needles?

A Cactuarlator!

Thank you, I'll be here all week, be sure to tip your waitress.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks for the tips for late game FFX y'all. I do enjoy some mindless grinding and I'd like to kill some of the Monster Arena special guys, but I'm definitely not looking to absolutely crush the game over my knee. I mean maybe eventually if I keep at it long enough. I'll see where it gets me.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

There are a number of downsides to Arithmeticians. They can only use spells they had already learned, they have a pretty poor Magic stat so their attacks end up being pretty wimpy, their attacks strike all targets, and most of all their speed is absolutely atrocious. Seriously it's about half that of the average-speed classes.

The first two problems are pretty easy to rectify. Mage skill is needed to even have access to Arithmeticians anyway and you should always be using Black Mages to run calculations (ditto for Iado/Draw Out) for maximum impact. That takes care of the first two issues. Getting over the targeting everything issue is just a matter of knowing the game mechanics. Not everyone thinks about casting Holy while all of your team are wearing Holy-absorbing equipment. Hell, I still don't know what equipment that is :shrug:. Barring that, learning all the variables and divisors means you have a lot to play with and you're bound to find something that hits anything but your own dudes.

The biggest hurdle is getting them JP, which can be annoying because of their abysmal speed stat. But again, knowing the mechanics helps, because apparently all you need is enough to learn CT/5 and then change them back to Black Mage, manipulate their speed to 10, and then watch everything die with the aforementioned Holy-absorbing equipment :v:

EDIT: Oh, and it's not like you, the player, needs to do any calculating yourself to see who will and won't be hit by the spells. All would-be targets are highlighted when you select the spell before confirming to cast it.

I believe its the Chameleon robe........I'm not sure of the name but its a Green robe that absorbs holy. Also, the best way to get calculators JP is give them either Dance/Sing depending on Gender. The "performing" status means that you constantly recast the song/dance and use its charge time. You will still get actions in between, just choose move/wait.

Ideally you'd have Move-Gain JP up, JP Boost and Dance/Sing on the Calculator in training. That is the fastest way.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Madmarker posted:

I believe its the Chameleon robe........I'm not sure of the name but its a Green robe that absorbs holy. Also, the best way to get calculators JP is give them either Dance/Sing depending on Gender. The "performing" status means that you constantly recast the song/dance and use its charge time. You will still get actions in between, just choose move/wait.

Ideally you'd have Move-Gain JP up, JP Boost and Dance/Sing on the Calculator in training. That is the fastest way.

If they're generic, the fastest way is probably to send them on the missions from the bar, especially in towns where you can move back and forth between non-battle areas.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Madmarker posted:

Move-Get JP itself comes from Calculator though, so it has a hard time paying for even its own cost unless you're doing a weird gimmick run.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Schwartzcough posted:

If they're generic, the fastest way is probably to send them on the missions from the bar, especially in towns where you can move back and forth between non-battle areas.

This is the way!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Is there an explanation of the mechanics behind Rikku's Mix anywhere online, and not just a list of combinations? I can sort of see the pattern to it, but not fully. Clearly items are assigned a type and some sort of power ranking, but it's often vague and especially when mixing high end items. It's a bit obtuse without looking up a list of combinations every time.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

Is there an explanation of the mechanics behind Rikku's Mix anywhere online, and not just a list of combinations? I can sort of see the pattern to it, but not fully. Clearly items are assigned a type and some sort of power ranking, but it's often vague and especially when mixing high end items. It's a bit obtuse without looking up a list of combinations every time.

If you go to 'mix mechanics' here it might help a bit. Some of it is just obtuse to be honest:

http://au.ign.com/faqs/2004/final-fantasy-x-2-mix-listfaq-453721

The 'power rankings' as you said especially seem a bit skewiff at times to me and don't always make sense. After a while you should have a general idea of what's going to come out though!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man trying to get 100% in X-2 is like the most stressful thing ever. There are so many little things you can miss that'll screw you out of like 0.1%. I'm glad I never tried it back on PS2 because there's no way I could've done it without a guide.

I've kinda run into a roadblock at the end of Via Infinito though. This is the first time I've ever reached the end and Trema/Paragon are wrecking me. I looked around a little online and it seems like in the original version just about everyone beat all the difficult bosses in this game using that Cat Nip/Trigger Happy exploit that isn't possible anymore.

X-2's optional endgame stuff is interesting though. It's a neat change of pace from X where you can eventually be doing 99,999 with every attack if you're willing to waste enough time on the sphere grid/monster arena. I guess X-2 feels better balanced (Mega Tonberries are terrible though, I have no idea what they were thinking)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Help Im Alive posted:

Man trying to get 100% in X-2 is like the most stressful thing ever. There are so many little things you can miss that'll screw you out of like 0.1%. I'm glad I never tried it back on PS2 because there's no way I could've done it without a guide.

I've kinda run into a roadblock at the end of Via Infinito though. This is the first time I've ever reached the end and Trema/Paragon are wrecking me. I looked around a little online and it seems like in the original version just about everyone beat all the difficult bosses in this game using that Cat Nip/Trigger Happy exploit that isn't possible anymore.

X-2's optional endgame stuff is interesting though. It's a neat change of pace from X where you can eventually be doing 99,999 with every attack if you're willing to waste enough time on the sphere grid/monster arena. I guess X-2 feels better balanced (Mega Tonberries are terrible though, I have no idea what they were thinking)

I don't know about the HD version but I got 99.9% in one run of the original and got so mad (teenage me) that I quit and never went back. I'm still trying to find the time to finish X-HD before I come back to it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Help Im Alive posted:

Mega Tonberries are terrible though, I have no idea what they were thinking

Mega Tonberries are hilarious. And adorable. I always figured Elder Drakes were the worst map-based enemy in that place; Megas weren't an issue in comparison.

But seriously just Oversoul them, and they become like a billion times easier. It's also necessary for a Gun Mage thing anyway.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Getting Platinum on both X and X-2 seems like such a chore, I don't think I can do them back-to-back. I'm pretty close on X now, so I'll just stop there for the time being. Also I've never played V and with the FJF going on I think I'll give that a try before X-2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

This is the way!

I had a good feeling.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Madmarker posted:

I had a good feeling.

With me, this job's easy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CeallaSo posted:

With me, this job's easy.

This job's a gift from God.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I love the simple trophy descriptions, they hide the difficulty so well. "Defeat Trema" or "Complete Shinra's Bestiary"? Oh boy, let me get right on that!

Also if I'm not mistaken FF X-2 completion percentage comes from all scenes, and some are mutually exclusive (such as the decision on the sphere), and the overall % one can potentially gain is higher than a hundred - so if you are very close to 100% just do whatever you can, start the NG+ and do something differently. There are also different outcomes to Mt. Gagazet and Guadosalam conflicts, so you can gain some additional percentages from there, and you'd be able to skip cutscenes, too.

Also don't skip the "Fahrenheit flies through the air" cutscenes, they add percentages too!

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

PTizzle posted:

If you go to 'mix mechanics' here it might help a bit. Some of it is just obtuse to be honest:

http://au.ign.com/faqs/2004/final-fantasy-x-2-mix-listfaq-453721

The 'power rankings' as you said especially seem a bit skewiff at times to me and don't always make sense. After a while you should have a general idea of what's going to come out though!

Hmm, this guide is for X-2 though, not X. I'm sure the principles are the same, but the specifics are different. For one, X has a lot more high-level mixable items like key spheres and stat spheres and other rare items then X-2 does!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I love the simple trophy descriptions, they hide the difficulty so well. "Defeat Trema" or "Complete Shinra's Bestiary"? Oh boy, let me get right on that!

Also if I'm not mistaken FF X-2 completion percentage comes from all scenes, and some are mutually exclusive (such as the decision on the sphere), and the overall % one can potentially gain is higher than a hundred - so if you are very close to 100% just do whatever you can, start the NG+ and do something differently. There are also different outcomes to Mt. Gagazet and Guadosalam conflicts, so you can gain some additional percentages from there, and you'd be able to skip cutscenes, too.

Also don't skip the "Fahrenheit flies through the air" cutscenes, they add percentages too!

Oh well that's good to know. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with 99% because my % stopped matching up with the walkthrough in chapter 4 even though I was following it exactly. The only explanation I can think of is that I didn't have the Calm Lands publicity thing at max level yet and the guy in the guide probably did. I beat Trema so trophy wise all I need to do now is the bestiary, Gunner's Gauntlet, 99 chain and then defeat Vegnagun.

I also have to do Last Mission which is something I didn't even know existed until I got the game, so I dunno how that'll go

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Oh well that's good to know. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with 99% because my % stopped matching up with the walkthrough in chapter 4 even though I was following it exactly.

Did you remember to sleep in the Fahrenheit's cabin/inn/place once every chapter?

Because I sure as hell didn't. And that's the only thing that screwed me out of it! :v:

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

Hmm, this guide is for X-2 though, not X. I'm sure the principles are the same, but the specifics are different. For one, X has a lot more high-level mixable items like key spheres and stat spheres and other rare items then X-2 does!

Jeez, that was a bad miss from me, sorry! Didn't realise it was for X-2 and not X, should probably have had a better look.

Because of the amount of mix lists/mix generators around I haven't really come across what you're looking for tbh, I just had a quick search for that other one. I think outside of elemental/healing stuff which is usually fairly obvious you are often taking a bit of a stab in the dark.

If it helps at all, I never found mixing spheres useful. You obviously don't want to be mixing spheres that place +4's on the board and mixing the generic ability etc spheres is underwhelming later in the game.

Key spheres can come in handy but it's usually late game with higher numbered ones, the best use I found for them mixwise was mixing L1 key spheres with a curtain/feather for Super Mighty G. Level 3s and 4s can help you hold on to rare items if you're mixing a Trio of 9999 or something similar (for a lot of them you can substitute in a 3/4 KS for a second rare item).

In terms of power rankings, the highest tier of rare items would contain the following I reckon:

- Amulet
- Door to Tomorrow
- Gambler's Spirit
- Underdog's Secret
- Wings to Discovery
- Winning Formula

With Dark Matter in it's own special tier (you can mix these with just about anything and get good results). Shining Gems/Blessed Gems would be thereabouts too.

If I find any actual appropriate material for FFX I'll post it up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

PTizzle posted:

If it helps at all, I never found mixing spheres useful. You obviously don't want to be mixing spheres that place +4's on the board and mixing the generic ability etc spheres is underwhelming later in the game.

Key spheres can come in handy but it's usually late game with higher numbered ones, the best use I found for them mixwise was mixing L1 key spheres with a curtain/feather for Super Mighty G.

Man this is a special kind of wrong. Take a Level 1 Keysphere and mix it with a regular Potion.

You now have all of your HP and MP back. And every negative ailment that you weren't protected against for one reason or another is now cured. On the entire fielded party.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Sure, I agree you wouldn't want to mix away Stat+4 spheres in normal gameplay. I just meant that as an example of FFX having way more items.

In any case, I already got my plat just last night. This question was more a matter of curiosity than assistance. For postgame stuff all you need to remember are some cheap combos for Final Elixir, Ultra Nulall, and Hyper Mighty G.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Man this is a special kind of wrong. Take a Level 1 Keysphere and mix it with a regular Potion.

You now have all of your HP and MP back. And every negative ailment that you weren't protected against for one reason or another is now cured. On the entire fielded party.

Don't claim to be an expert, just my personal experience. I tended to use Mighty G variations a lot more than recovery.

You're right though, would be very handy (I probably would have used it more if I was aware of how easy it was to mix tbh!)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

What Tactics game doesn't have Ninja as one of, if not the best class? Seems like the weakness of SPRG's in general that use a turn system like FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre.

And yet Ninjas pale in comparison to the awesomeness of the TO Archers.

Oh, don't use Archers in FFT, except to unlock new classes. They are terrible.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet Ninjas pale in comparison to the awesomeness of the TO Archers.

Oh, don't use Archers in FFT, except to unlock new classes. They are terrible.

They might be decent-ish with guns (which gets rid of the charge time on Aim skills).

Too bad Equip Guns comes fairly deep into the caster branch of Jobs. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Regalingualius posted:

They might be decent-ish with guns (which gets rid of the charge time on Aim skills).

Too bad Equip Guns comes fairly deep into the caster branch of Jobs. :v:

...What? The Archer's skillset is based entirely on making you wait to do more damage. You can use it with any weapon on any class, but there's no getting around the charge time. It's not even affected by Short Charge from Time Mage.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So I put like 65 hours into X-2 getting all the trophies and...

Luckily it sounds like getting 100% on a NG+ is pretty simple so it's not all bad I guess? I'll probably play this Last Mission thing first.

Dragonatrix posted:

Did you remember to sleep in the Fahrenheit's cabin/inn/place once every chapter?

Because I sure as hell didn't. And that's the only thing that screwed me out of it! :v:

Yeah I remembered to do that. It's crazy how many little things you can miss, I wish I knew what it was in my game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Luckily it sounds like getting 100% on a NG+ is pretty simple so it's not all bad I guess? I'll probably play this Last Mission thing first.

Yeah I remembered to do that. It's crazy how many little things you can miss, I wish I knew what it was in my game.

The story has a branching part and you're guaranteed to get some % points just doing the other side yeah.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy

ImpAtom posted:

It can be complex-looking but it really isn't worth stress out about. The game is extremely low difficulty and you can do very well just by fooling around with the concepts. Most of the guides out there are less beginner's hints and more "how to shatter the game over your knee."

Low difficulty? Are we thinking of the same game? I could never make it past the swamp in the beginning of the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't say extremely low is the best way to put it, but it's absolutely true that there's not a lot of challenge to the game when you know how to play it properly.

The "insane challenge" mod patch for the game seems more focused on setting you against bullshit combos you need to specifically counter rather than just making the game straight up difficult as well, but I haven't played a lot of it and may be wide of the mark later on into the FFT 1.3 patch gameplay missions.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The hardest part of the game is definitely chapter 1. Dorter can wreck you if you don't know what you're doing, and you probably need extensive help from Delita to mow down the guys there anyway.

And then there's Wiegraf...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Help Im Alive posted:

The most common ones tend to be:

-Not sleeping in the Farenheit every chapter
-Picking the wrong suspect for Mi'hen
-Not finishing Via Infinito
-Not letting Maechen ramble on Chapter 1
-Choosing New Yevon instead of the Youth League, since that gives less % points.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Schwartzcough posted:

...What? The Archer's skillset is based entirely on making you wait to do more damage. You can use it with any weapon on any class, but there's no getting around the charge time. It's not even affected by Short Charge from Time Mage.

Really? I could've sworn I read somewhere that Aim's charge time is negated by using a Gun (since it's just pulling a trigger versus drawing back a bowstring/getting ready to swing a melee weapon), but I admittedly never actually tried it because of how utterly pointless it would be to go to all that effort for something so subpar. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Low difficulty? Are we thinking of the same game? I could never make it past the swamp in the beginning of the game.

Yes, FFT is sort if infamously easy and simple to break. Even just a party of monks can carry you through a good chunk of the game without much difficulty.