Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Welcome to the season thread for Be A GM 2. For those of you who don't know what this is, check out the thread here, and if you want to see the draft and resulting teams, check out the google doc here. But a quick summary:

30 brave goons each did their very best to draft a team of players that will dominate the others. After a two month long draft, we finally are ready to duke it out in OOTP 14 to crown a champion. But really, we're all winners here. Except for theacox and popete who abandoned their teams, they're not winners. For those who would like a reminder, here's a list of the proud owners:

Teams

Baltimore Orioles - Fair Game
Boston Red Sox - Allan Trammel
New York Yankees - Screen Door Slams
Tampa Bay Rays - Monicro
Toronto Blue Jays - Paul Zuvella

Chicago White Sox - Harlock
Cleveland Indians - chaoslord
Detroit Tigers - Sexual Lorax
Kansas City Royals - johnfw50
Minnesota Twins - IcePhoenix

Houston Astros - tatonkatonk
Los Angeles Angels - Gorman Thomas
Oakland Athletics - angrygodofjebus
Seattle Mariners - seiferguy
Texas Rangers - Zythrst

Atlanta Braves - The Flying Llama
Miami Marlins - Prozach
New York Mets - Laderhan
Philadelphia Phillies - The Merry Marauder
Washington Nationals - Zodiac 5000

Chicago Cubs - Tadashi
Cincinnati Reds - Politicalrancor
Milwaukee Brewers - Hurriness
Pittsburgh Prates - mentholmoose
St. Louis Cardinals - straight up brolic

Arizona Diamondbacks - kensei
Colorado Rockies - Pander
Los Angeles Dodgers - CF Balla
San Diego Padres - Infidel Castro
San Francisco GiantsBlingee - JosephStalinator

And with the lineups set and the rotations fired up, we're ready to go! But first, let's give our GMs a chance to introduce their teams and explain why these OOTP season predictions are completely inaccurate:

UPDATES
April 16th
May 1st
May 16th
June 1st
June 16th

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

So I drafted the Atlanta Barves. My record looks accurate, because I was drafting basically halfway blind. I've since purchased OOTP15, and learned that the game hates basically everyone I took a flyer on. Furthermore, I'm starting something like 5 rookies that have like a week combined of major league experience. But I have Miggy so maybe everything will go okay.

EDIT: Wait a second, apparently the commissioner's own team is going to win 106 games, 10 more than the next highest team. I sense treachery is afoot.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 14, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The San Francisco Blingee will destroy the division due to their super PECOTA powers, despite hitting the fewest dingers in baseball.

ATT park will be the land where dingers go to die.

Haters gonna hate.

Fake Edit: GM please update team name.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Are these predictions completely arbitrary? Because the Red Sox are a bad team and definitely not good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Are these predictions completely arbitrary? Because the Red Sox are a bad team and definitely not good.

I'm honestly not sure how OOTP comes up with preseason predictions.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
So OOTP says my team is going to suck, cool, very cool.

all well, still got that .420 winning percentage, y'all. :420:

edit: how the gently caress are the white sox better than my team, i call bullshit on that.

double edit: lmao at commish's team winning 106 games

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 14, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm honestly not sure how OOTP comes up with preseason predictions.

Pretty sure the predictions are based largely on current ratings rather than potential, so if any teams have prospects or guys that might improve considerably throughout the season, they're probably underrated.

That, and random poo poo-shows and injuries will change things further.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I agree.

Hurriness
Feb 23, 2011
College Slice
I can only hope the game is underrating Milwaukee's pitching, but we certainly aren't good.

Gonna need some serious luck

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So, uh, lots of runs scored, lots of runs given up.

Yup. I'm Colorado. Competitive division by the looks of it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was hoping for .500 so I know that scrap will carry me to the division title.

Go AZ Scrappers (please change team name TIA).

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I too am puzzled by my predicted record, but I don't own the game. I think irl the team I drafted would crush the opposition handily.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I, the Marlins, am perfectly fine with these predictions and are pretty much what I expected.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the Chicago Cubs are good because we have pitching, a literal brick wall in the outfield and various figurative brick walls at other places on the field (mostly on the left side). Hopefully Pablo Sandoval can hit better in fake baseball than he is this season.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
83 wins? I'll take it!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the Chicago Cubs are good because we have pitching, a literal brick wall in the outfield and various figurative brick walls at other places on the field (mostly on the left side). Hopefully Pablo Sandoval can hit better in fake baseball than he is this season. Hopefully I'll have time to make a better post later.

JosefStalinator posted:

Pretty sure the predictions are based largely on current ratings rather than potential, so if any teams have prospects or guys that might improve considerably throughout the season, they're probably underrated.

That, and random poo poo-shows and injuries will change things further.

I noticed Cleveland has a negative run differential so it's almost like it runs a quick simulation rather than an actual projection of the season results.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Minnesota is insane bullshit. A modern day 4 man rotation made up of SP4's that leads the majors in runs against? If that happens I'm done with this, because it's pretty clear that OOTP is either a jillion times worse than BBM or else it can be gamed to the height of stupid unreality.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shelby Miller and Brandon Beachy: SP4s

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Shelby Miller and Brandon Beachy: SP4s

If it weren't for injuries to Garcia and Wacha he'd be an SP5, so yes? And Beachy was too injured to make a call on in 2013, but in 2012 he was an SP5. So again, yes.

I think you're being too cute by half and if OOTP rewards it then welp it's loving terrible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

If it weren't for injuries to Garcia and Wacha he'd be an SP5, so yes? And Beachy was too injured to make a call on in 2013, but in 2012 he was an SP5. So again, yes.

I think you're being too cute by half and if OOTP rewards it then welp it's loving terrible.

So by your criteria Ricky Nolasco and Scott Feldman are SP1?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gently caress you, sim. This rotation and bullpen:

SP Jon Lester
SP Jorge De La Rosa
SP RA Dickey
SP Matt Harrison
SP Jason Vargas
RP Brad Ziegler
RP Justin Wilson
RP Jim Henderson
RP Joe Smith
RP Randy Choate
RP Aaron Crow
RP Luis Ayala

Is perfectly fine, and certainly not going to produce the worst ERA in both leagues by a long shot.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hi, I am the GM of the Chicago White Sox. You may remember me from such great moments as, "Drafting Miguel Sano", or "Drafting Mikael Franco", or "Not taking a Baseballer over the age of 30."

I whole heartedly promise to exceed my early season projection. Since I have a lot of prospects and young guys, their ratings will improve over the course of the season. Also, I feel like the rest of our division is depressed somehow by Minnesota's projection. When Minnesota fails to win 100 games, the rest of the division will benefit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

So by your criteria Ricky Nolasco and Scott Feldman are SP1?

Not at all (and an odd strawman to draw out), but are you saying Beachy and Miller are up for a 4-man rotation given how they (same as Salazar and Turner) never averaged more than 6IP/start, ever? And don't have a history of reaching anywhere near full-time starter innings against MLB hitting?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
In the GMs defense, he's probably putting his SPs out there for 5 innings max and having his insane bullpen eat up 650 innings over the season.

The Angels offense depends entirely on how ootp treats platoon splits, so I could be poo poo out of luck if the sim decides to hate on guys like Hosmer and Seth Smith.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

Not at all (and an odd strawman to draw out)

It seemed like you were categorizing them as SP4s because of their spot in the rotation, so I feel like it was a perfectly reasonable comparison

quote:

but are you saying Beachy and Miller are up for a 4-man rotation given how they (same as Salazar and Turner) never averaged more than 6IP/start, ever? And don't have a history of reaching anywhere near full-time starter innings against MLB hitting?

Ok so let's go for a short history lesson. In 2012 the Colorado Rockies decided to experiment with a four man pitching rotation. Casting aside the norms of the baseball world, limiting their starters to a pitch count around 75 before turning to their bullpen. The logic was sound, their starters were bad and their bullpen was better, but that's a backhanded compliment because they were still at the bottom of the league, and ultimately it failed.

So here's what I did. I drafted two pitchers who are regarded as having SP2 skills (forget about Miller this year, remember this is based off of what people thought before the season), a hyped rookie ready to immediately contribute, and a solid back end guy with loads of talent. And I augmented it with a bullpen anchored by Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Sergio Romo, and Joaquin Benoit. I also have a really good defensive squad and play in a pitcher's park (Target Field).

You seem to be hung up on my pitchers not being able to go deep into games, but I don't need them to. And I don't plan on them doing so, either, they're all set with pitch count limits. I thought the Rockies had a really cool idea and I want to see what would happen if someone actually committed to it with actual good pitchers.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Miller was only the 5th starter because of the Cards' loaded rotation and it had nothing to do with his talent. He was considered a very good pitcher going into this season and people were stunned when he wasn't being used during the post-season. Salazar and Beachy also had good projections.

IcePhoenix basically ripped off Billy Beane's real outfield with three elite defenders including two that actually play in Oakland's outfield. In terms of run production, going by ZiPS, here are the projections:

http://www.fangraphs.com/projections.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&type=zips&team=0&players=l18097&sort=23,d

In terms of bench, it's pretty good, too. A lot of projection systems saw Alcantara as major league ready to start the season with the capability of hitting up to 15 HR over a full season.

To make up for the lack of a 5th starter, he has far and away the best bullpen in the re-drafted league. This is the same information we all had access to. This was a wisely drafted team but he took a lot of risks since a lot of teams didn't bite on the run on relievers which could have changed this team drastically if we had.

In summary, copying the recent/current iterations of the real life A's is usually a good idea. The 4 man rotation is a little weird but people have formulated it could work for years if you had the right pitchers (and in a land with no injuries, it's feasible if executed correctly).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah but if even one (or god help him 2+) of his starters are duds, he's gonna get murdered hard.

I get the premise, but I just question the feasibility of execution.

Also: for some reason I thought the Rockies were going with a 6-man rotation, not a 4-man rotation, for their 75 pitch scheme.

I think you should throw your best relievers to start the game, go the whole reverse-pattern, end the game with mopup when you're winning/losing or an ace if it's still close.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I am the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, and I know the Pirates aren't going to suck that much because their offense is quite a bit better than 595 runs scored over a whole season.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

tadashi posted:

IcePhoenix basically ripped off Billy Beane's real outfield with three elite defenders including two that actually play in Oakland's outfield. In terms of run production, going by ZiPS, here are the projections:

http://www.fangraphs.com/projections.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&type=zips&team=0&players=l18097&sort=23,d
How'd you do that? What with gathering certain players together in a list?

Also: how does OOTP deal with relievers who pitch too much? Say two of IP's starters get shelled in consecutive starts, and the bullpen basically gets fully utilized. I know injuries are off, but how does this affect effectiveness or ability to pitch?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Most of my plan, to the extent that one existed, was to get lots of Fenway Dingers, so I'm glad to see the game agrees on that point. However, the projection for an above-average ERA will likely be hilariously wrong.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pander posted:

Also: how does OOTP deal with relievers who pitch too much? Say two of IP's starters get shelled in consecutive starts, and the bullpen basically gets fully utilized. I know injuries are off, but how does this affect effectiveness or ability to pitch?

Fatigue is not off, it will have the exact effect you would expect it to. I made sure to remind people of that multiple times but a lot of teams still decided to go with 11 man pitching staffs so :shrug:

As far as my bullpen possibly getting tired, I have like eight relievers so I'm not super worried about it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander posted:

How'd you do that? What with gathering certain players together in a list?

If you create a login at Fangraphs, you can use their Custom Teams function to put together groups of players who have played at the major league level. It's a really good feature.

RE: pitchers
My original plan was to take 11 pitchers because I really wanted Billy Burns for some reason. I'll be curious to see how the 11-man staffs hold up.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 14, 2014

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Fatigue is not off, it will have the exact effect you would expect it to. I made sure to remind people of that multiple times but a lot of teams still decided to go with 11 man pitching staffs so :shrug:

As far as my bullpen possibly getting tired, I have like eight relievers so I'm not super worried about it.

I know fatigue is on, I'm just wondering how it ends playing out in OOTP. Do fatigued pitchers walk more, give up more homers, more hits, or is it more tied to injury rates? If it's that last one, then fatigue may be inconsequential. If it's more the effectiveness that's hindered, then I'm cool with it.

I just wonder if there were unintended consequences of leaving injuries off (like treating a pitching staff like it's the world series in terms of usage with only minor ill effects)

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
My pitching looks OK based on those projections. Third lowest batting average in both leagues, not so much.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

My pitching looks OK based on those projections. Third lowest batting average in both leagues, not so much.

Hey you wanted to be the White Sox. Comes with the territory.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
RE: fatigue in OOTP, from the discussion thread, because it sums up my overall pitching strategy

Sexual Lorax posted:

INJURIES ARE OFF

CRAIG KIMBREL

NINE INNINGS

EVERY GAME

EVERY DAY

FOR THE REST OF TIME

KIMBREL IS INVINCIBLE

KIMBREL IS IMMORTAL

BASEBALL IS PAIN

LIFE IS PAIN

EXISTENCE IS PAIN

PITCH AGAIN FOR ME, KIMBREL

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DIE

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fatigue works exactly how you'd expect it to. The more fatigued you are the worse you play and the more likely you are to hurt yourself. The latter obviously isn't an issue but if you think throwing your starters out there for 120 pitches every start will get you through the season you're gonna have a bad time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

but if you think throwing your starters out there for 120 pitches every start will get you through the season you're gonna have a bad time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxPshq8ERo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What's the schedule going to be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gonna sim a couple weeks every other day or so probably.

• Locked thread