Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Anybody investigated 120 Sports at all? Here's a sample video: http://www.120sports.com/video/v82270974/kobe-the-recruiter

Not a strong look having Ovie Mughelli comment on basketball, but they've hired a bunch of analysts, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

WEREWAIF posted:

It's like they subconsciously realize that Sportscenter is an obsolete show and cooked up this massive ridiculous studio as a reaction.

People don't care about contextless highlights anymore, they can check exactly which games they care about online and get a comprehensive picture from any of a billion bloggers.

So they turn up the bombast and hope that their aging demographic leaves ESPN on while they're snoring in worn out recliners.

It's not an obsolete show.

There are people out there that want want contextless highlights. But they actually want the highlights. As opposed to highlight two baseball games from the night and spend two minutes each on them. Then the remaining 8 games that happened that night, only two more get highlighted and its 10 second packages, and the remaining six are just ignored.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

soggybagel posted:

It's not an obsolete show.

There are people out there that want want contextless highlights. But they actually want the highlights. As opposed to highlight two baseball games from the night and spend two minutes each on them. Then the remaining 8 games that happened that night, only two more get highlighted and its 10 second packages, and the remaining six are just ignored.

Well, to be fair, that's pretty close to 'contextless highlights.' 2 games get context and everyone else can get hosed.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I think Sportscenter is a perfectly fine show to have on while you're eating breakfast or chilling in the waiting room or surfing the web and would like to get a nice overview of what's going on in the sports world.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriously the Yahoo sports app is pretty much all you need.

Too bad their web design team must be on a 3 year acid trip. How a major corporation can have such a horrible looking website I will never know. I can't even read sports.yahoo.com anymore

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Too bad their web design team must be on a 3 year acid trip. How a major corporation can have such a horrible looking website I will never know. I can't even read sports.yahoo.com anymore

in that case, do yourself a favor and don't visit SI.com anymore

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

I think Sportscenter is a perfectly fine show to have on while you're eating breakfast or chilling in the waiting room or surfing the web and would like to get a nice overview of what's going on in the sports world.

Yeah it's fine. I put it on pretty much every morning. It's definitely not even close to the biggest problem ESPN has.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Anybody investigated 120 Sports at all? Here's a sample video: http://www.120sports.com/video/v82270974/kobe-the-recruiter

Not a strong look having Ovie Mughelli comment on basketball, but they've hired a bunch of analysts, apparently.

One of the radio guys here (Laurence Holmes) that I enjoy pimps it some, so I assume he does work on it, but other than that, this is the first I've heard of it. I thought it was a more local thing because he's literally the only person I've seen post about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is really really bad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

This is really really bad.

I watched it once and refuse to go back but I heard Antoine Walker got a gig there, so that should be fun.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sportscenter is now what George Michael Sports Machine was 15 years ago. Completely obsolete, but I still sometimes watching for some ungodly reason.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Sportscenter is now what George Michael Sports Machine was 15 years ago. Completely obsolete, but I still sometimes watching for some ungodly reason.

I wouldn't call it obsolete. There's still an entire generation of people watching sports and paying to see them live who don't have an interest in getting online to check highlights or find scores.

The difference is SportsCenter used to be the go-to for scores, highlights and information and now its primary purpose is to essentially serve as an infomercial for the live properties owned by the ESPN family of networks.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Love love LOVED the Sports Machine BITD. It was the only way to get a full breakdown of the NFL on Sundays pre cable (well, I didn't have cable tv in my bedroom). Enjoyed the plays of the month that always included something from bull riding or surfing or Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant.

RIP George Michael... I cheered when you gave our local affiliate a shoutout one time. :)

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

Love love LOVED the Sports Machine BITD. It was the only way to get a full breakdown of the NFL on Sundays pre cable (well, I didn't have cable tv in my bedroom). Enjoyed the plays of the month that always included something from bull riding or surfing or Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant.

RIP George Michael... I cheered when you gave our local affiliate a shoutout one time. :)

I liked how he would pretend the obviously fake buttons would start playing the clips. Sportscenter should do this too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mornacale posted:

It would be a lot worse if Tebow was still in the NFL. Sportscenter once dedicated an entire day of programming to celebrating Tebow's birthday.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Quest For Glory II posted:

It would be a lot worse if Tebow was still in the NFL. Sportscenter once dedicated an entire day of programming to celebrating Tebow's birthday.

Oh, ESPN's actual execution is usually terrible, I just disagree that the show is obsolete.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Does SportsCenter even show highlights anymore? The only time I ever catch it is the 6pm version at the gym, and it's usually just an array of talking heads including: static conversations between anchors and reporters on cell phones reading court transcripts, a 2 minute discussion of something involving twitter, a discussion of a sporting event over a contextless highlight reel, a facile analysis segment between two people who say absolutely nothing-- sometimes they use a telestrator to point out that the key to winning football games is to protect the football, at least one dumb sponsored DEBATE segment between idiots. Granted, the 11pm sportscenter actually has sports highlights to show, but the 6pm version I see is completely unwatchable.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've bitched about this in the past but basically Sportscenter was once just a highlight show. Then it started adding "analysis" and opinion segments. It also started adding culture segments and random interviews as well. So ESPN News became the place to just get the straight dope. Then, that basically took on Sportscenters worst traits. So now there isn't an all encompassing highlight show. You have to watch the specific shows that cover single sports.

I don't really mind that they do all this other stuff, but it would be great if they just ran a straight highlight show in the morning and maybe one at night. Just an hour block of what happened and thats it. One of the most absurd things that has happened at ESPN is how when they signed their most recent contract with the NFL it included language that mandated hundreds upon hundreds of hours more than what already was occurring of NFL coverage. I'm a massive NFL fan but its kind of absurd how much NFL stuff they shove down our throats.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It doesn't necessarily matter anymore considering how many people can simply use the internet to watch one of the myriad of sports shows. On top of that the dozens of good podcasts typically catered to one particular sport. ESPN and SportsCenter has a ton of weight behind it with budget alone but it's not the all-encompassing option it once was.

SportsCenter is just way too bloated to be of any use. Their opinions and takes are usually dreadful and there's far too much that goes on for them to cover any one topic well without neglecting something entirely. Not to mention ESPN's penchant for fabricating stories within their own analysts and just running with it. The Colin Kaepernick/Ron Jaworski nonsense comes to mind.

It's really easy to watch or listen other media outlets that can provide thought provoking and interesting points and information, SportsCenter is redundant many times and flat out wrong others. ESPN better do something to fix that fat, ugly monster of a show assuming the lower ratings reported from last year continue getting lower.

Getting a stupid, unreasonably large room to do their show in won't fix anything, either. SportsCenter isn't obsolete, ESPN just needs to fix the insipid nature of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Fox Sports: Erin Andrews has replaced Pam Oliver as the sideline reporter for FOX's top NFL crew, according to Richard Deitsch of SI.com. Oliver will work with FOX's No. 2 crew consisting of Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch for the 2014 season, and then be removed from FOX's NFL coverage completely for 2015 and beyond.

Why is Pam Oliver getting phased out? I thought she worked pretty well.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

Why is Pam Oliver getting phased out? I thought she worked pretty well.

I tried reading the SI.com article on this but I am getting a 403 error. The link: http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/14/pam-oliver-erin-andrews-fox

edit: n/m working now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I tried reading the SI.com article on this but I am getting a 403 error. The link: http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/14/pam-oliver-erin-andrews-fox

edit: n/m working now

Man that's some bullshit. Nothing wrong with Erin Andrews but Pam did a hell of a job and she deserves better. That anonymous reporter probably has it nailed, sadly.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Nothing against Pam Oliver, but I really could do without sideline reporters in general. I don't really think they bring much to the table, personally.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Pam's handling this with an unbelievable amount of class. She has to comment without burning bridges, but she could have accomplished that with a politically neutral statement rather than going out of her way to give others props.

TL posted:

Nothing against Pam Oliver, but I really could do without sideline reporters in general. I don't really think they bring much to the table, personally.

Sideline reports regarding player injuries and prognosis are useful, but yeah, agreed. Think that halftime interviews only continue to exist because of a .001% chance that someone will have a John L-style meltdown on air.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

TL posted:

CBS tried phasing them out for their NFL coverage, but I see they're bringing them back.

My guess as to why Oliver was demoted was maybe her health issues (re: concussions) were becoming a problem?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Getting put on the chopping block that fast is pretty ridiculous.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

My guess as to why Oliver was demoted was maybe her health issues (re: concussions) were becoming a problem?
What?
Was Pam getting drilled on the sidelines?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Robnoxious posted:

What?
I...wanna.. tackle you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

What?
She got hit with a football one week and got a concussion and had speaking issues the rest of the season.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

She got hit with a football one week and got a concussion and had speaking issues the rest of the season.
Oh wow, I didn't know that.
Yeah maybe because of her age Fox got spooked and got her out of the sidelines because of her being a further physical liability.

Now, Erin Andrews getting drilled on the sidelines has a whole different connotation and I fully expect that to happen a lot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They've kept Terry Bradshaw as in studio talent despite his inability to speak cogently for the past decade.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

soggybagel posted:

They've kept Terry Bradshaw as in studio talent despite his inability to speak cogently for the past decade.

What can I say? The skullet brings in viewers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

soggybagel posted:

He earned his tenure with his performance during FOX's last Pro Bowl

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I like crazy senile Terry because he reminds me of Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein, intelligible speech is hardly necessary.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reminder that Terry Bradshaw was once cast as Matthew McConaughey's dad in a major motion picture.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

No because if that was the case there'd be a paternity lawsuit.

MourningView posted:

Reminder that Terry Bradshaw was once cast as Matthew McConaughey's dad in a major motion picture.
Which was perfect.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I disagree. It should have been Chris Collinsworth. It appears the Internet has been scrubbed of his old interview where he talks about getting drinks in ladies.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

No because if that was the case there'd be a paternity lawsuit.

The gently caress is this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

The gently caress is this

A joke playing off how "drilled" can mean multiple things. Some people even use as slang for....*hushed tones* sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

A joke playing off how "drilled" can mean multiple things. Some people even use as slang for....*hushed tones* sex

Thanks for explaining the unfunny joke that had already been done once upthread, MorningView, but I was actually asking more about the paternity lawsuit part