Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Email as a whole is another technology that is really out of date. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is obsolete, but it has a lot of limitations due to how it is implemented.

It's the primary form of communication at my workplace (300 employees), both overall and for communication within the building. I've never really had an issue with our 10MB attachment limit, and if anyone in the office would, it'd be me. Anything too large to e-mail gets dumped on the FTP & I e-mail a link; adds like 30 seconds to my day, and it almost never happens, anyway.

I am curious about how e-mail would be designed if it were just invented today, however. You're right that a lot of its features are there today simply because they've always been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Antifreeze Head posted:

As for audio DRM, I would love to know just how much time and money was plowed into that was so easily circumvented with an hour to spare and a $1 wire from the dollar store.

I seem to remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) Apple's iTunes' DRM being broken in a few days. Later, Apple, said, "Ha! We fixed it, you bastards, try and break it now!"

It was broken 18 hours later.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Jerry Cotton posted:

No because most 'Western' people today who listen to (non-radio) music listen to it off CDs.

Yeah, CD sales are dropping but not quite as fast as you would think. However, recent research showed that the under 30 crowd (in the Netherlands) is already abandoning downloading in favor of streaming.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kammat posted:

How many ways are there to display one mailing given one simple page of HTML + CSS?
I'd say HTML is a failed technology, and CSS is just a band aid on a fundamentally flawed technology. :can:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lincoln posted:

It's the primary form of communication at my workplace (300 employees), both overall and for communication within the building. I've never really had an issue with our 10MB attachment limit, and if anyone in the office would, it'd be me. Anything too large to e-mail gets dumped on the FTP & I e-mail a link; adds like 30 seconds to my day, and it almost never happens, anyway.

I am curious about how e-mail would be designed if it were just invented today, however. You're right that a lot of its features are there today simply because they've always been there.

It'd be called emlr and would only work within the one provider where you signed up. The messages would be limited to 1024 characters and the only possible attachments would be webcam snaps with cheesy filters over. The messages are visible to everyone by default, but are automatically deleted after 24 hours.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And it would require or at least strongly suggest logging in with a Facebook account.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

No because most 'Western' people today who listen to (non-radio) music listen to it off CDs.

Only people i know that still uses portable CD players are all finns. Where in the "West" are you from Jerry?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Kammat posted:

Trying to keep mailings formatted so they display cleanly in a majority of mail clients is an ongoing nightmare here. How many ways are there to display one mailing given one simple page of HTML + CSS?

Way, way too many

Just stop using HTML and it'll display cleanly in every mail client.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To all the "I don't know anyone who listens to CDs :smuggo:" posters:

quote:

According to Nielsen SoundScan, so far in 2014 through the week ending Feb. 2, a total of 22.99 million albums have been sold. Of that total, 11.18 million were downloads while another 11.10 million were CDs. (An additional 710,000 were vinyl LPs and other physical configurations, like cassettes.)

(I'm assuming this is just for the US? [fe: and Canada I guess?]) And yes I'm aware a lot of people tend to buy single tracks, not albums. Over ten million CDs in two months is still not insignificant.

Also, when you think about these things, take a look at the population pyramid in your country first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Of course the concept of an album as a more or less monolithic or cohesive work of art as opposed to just a format was pretty much set up to fail from the start, and will hopefully be rarely used if not obsolete in my life time. Judging by the growing proportion of single track sales as opposed to album sales this is more a question of how long I'll live, not whether it will happen.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Jul 15, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
What about things like concept albums and rock operas that get a chance to use the format as a means of telling a story through the collective songs.

Take something like ELO's Time or The Who's Tommy.

Not that I want or expect or need every album to be such a thing, but when it works, I think it works very well. I know I've listened to a few such things that even things I think of as 'lesser' or even stand-alone bad songs end up having some value as an overall part of the whole.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

What about things like concept albums and rock operas that get a chance to use the format as a means of telling a story through the collective songs.

Take something like ELO's Time or The Who's Tommy.

Not that I want or expect or need every album to be such a thing, but when it works, I think it works very well. I know I've listened to a few such things that even things I think of as 'lesser' or even stand-alone bad songs end up having some value as an overall part of the whole.

Well obviously I'm glad Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds exists but about 100% of all albums contain filler.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Interestingly, the same blind guys tells me that Braille is generally falling out of use. If you have ever seen a Braille book, you would know why - they are huge. Apparently screen readers for the blind are quite accurate so there just isn't much need. He says it really only comes up on elevators and other public places if he can't find anyone to ask.

A page ago, but there's a blind flautist in my music class who uses Braille sheet music. The books are enormous and obviously a pain to use since she needs her hands to play the music she's trying to read. I imagine it would be difficult to use a screen reader for that for repeats and da capo's etc., I dunno. She also uses some sort of refreshable Braille 'laptop' thing that she uses to type up notes and stuff at a lightning pace :3:

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

File size limits on email are a good thing given how emails are delivered, processed, and stored.

Email as a whole is another technology that is really out of date. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is obsolete, but it has a lot of limitations due to how it is implemented.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that given how cheap storage space and bandwidth are these days, it would be totally practical for most places to just give everyone a 1/5/10GB mailbox limit (whatever you like based on org size) and let them manage it themselves.

I'd like to see email go away. Something like XMPP, but with better old conversation storage and retreval options, might be viable, but you'd have to start moving the whole world over to it, annoyingly.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd say HTML is a failed technology, and CSS is just a band aid on a fundamentally flawed technology. :can:

I find it pretty disgusting that the standard method of building a website requires five different languages (HTML, PHP, CSS, SQL, Javascript). What a god drat headache. The only positive thing I find in the current app craze is people making apps to replace their websites. I am no fan of Objective-C, but writing it once using Objective-C and nothing else makes a lot more sense then the standard website setup.

What we really need is a new kind of browser, designed as basically an app container.

Sir_Substance has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Jul 15, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well obviously I'm glad Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds exists but about 100% of all albums contain filler.

Sure - but even albums that are merely a collection of related songs can have a bit of added value beyond the sum of the single value of the songs. What I would like is for bands to fully adapt to a future with large streaming services, and start making shorter (or longer, I guess) albums to fit the content they want to put in. There's no reason to stretch for a specific length if you're not pressing CDs.

Obviously, CD sales are still large enough that any big label will push for content that fits the media, but that won't last forever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Sure - but even albums that are merely a collection of related songs can have a bit of added value beyond the sum of the single value of the songs.

I really don't see how.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not really disagreeing either. I'm probably just admittedly being a bit contradictory on it. Even I have a few CDs that I found myself saying, "This could have just been a 5-song EP and I would have loved it" instead of it being a 10 song LP that I was sort of disappointed by.

The ability for artists to be mostly singles-driven likely an overall good thing in the long run for consumers and performers, especially the relatively low-cost of buying desired singles digitally. At the very least, it could possibly result in artists being able to keep the hype and popularity maintained over a longer period of time, spacing out the releases of completely new singles to the marketplace to keep them fresh and in the limelight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

The ability for artists to be mostly singles-driven likely an overall good thing in the long run for consumers and performers, especially the relatively low-cost of buying desired singles digitally. At the very least, it could possibly result in artists being able to keep the hype and popularity maintained over a longer period of time, spacing out the releases of completely new singles to the marketplace to keep them fresh and in the limelight.

Also I'm fairly certain "making an album" has had serious adverse effects on a large number of artists' mental and physical health.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm sure on their pocketbooks, too. I could have sworn I read something where some bands were complaining about the labels would withhold royalties or demand payments from bands to cover things like recording costs and studio expenses incurred to produce their contractually obligated albums.

Sure, that would still be things with singles, but if you're doing fewer songs with less in-studio time, that might put a band on the hook for a lot less.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The concept of an "album" has been around since people started recording music - many early musical pieces are written as several movements, or in modern parlance singles. I don't think it's going anywhere, since there are plenty of people like me who prefer listening to a full album. In fact, I generally avoid music that's written as a collection of singles.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'm curious to if there's any data collected of performance times of a whole suite/album and has that changed drastically over time? Can we only really sit still for about 80 minutes?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sir_Substance posted:

I find it pretty disgusting that the standard method of building a website requires five different languages (HTML, PHP, CSS, SQL, Javascript). What a god drat headache. The only positive thing I find in the current app craze is people making apps to replace their websites. I am no fan of Objective-C, but writing it once using Objective-C and nothing else makes a lot more sense then the standard website setup.

That isn't really the case though - chances are your app still relies on something running on a server with a database behind it.

Plus you cut yourself out of a large part of the market by targeting iOS only.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The concept of an "album" has been around since people started recording music - many early musical pieces are written as several movements, or in modern parlance singles. I don't think it's going anywhere, since there are plenty of people like me who prefer listening to a full album. In fact, I generally avoid music that's written as a collection of singles.

Congratulations, you don't like most pre-60s popular music. (Nor a shitload of 60s popular music.)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Congratulations, you don't like most pre-60s popular music. (Nor a shitload of 60s popular music.)

What's the problem with that?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

WebDog posted:

I'm curious to if there's any data collected of performance times of a whole suite/album and has that changed drastically over time? Can we only really sit still for about 80 minutes?

An individual can sit and watch something for 2 hours, no problem. Even a smallish group can. But an auditorium of 300-1000 people won't.

But the real reason is no composer would expect musicians to be able to play continuously for much longer than 80-90 minutes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dissss posted:

What's the problem with that?

I said congratulations do you not know what congratulations are?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

dissss posted:

That isn't really the case though - chances are your app still relies on something running on a server with a database behind it.

Depends on what you are doing, of course. Websites run the spectrum from things that could just as easily be a PDF file to things that really should have been implemented in C++. I guess my comment was mostly targeted at the "webapps" market, things like webmail and so forth.

You're right, they do still have a backend, but you've have more flexible choices on what the backend was written in, the interfaces would be simpler and more secure then working with PHP. You'd probably still end up using SQL, but if you could reduce the problem by two languages, that'd be a start.

Getting rid of PHP is, of course, merely icing on the cake :sun:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jerry Cotton posted:

actually I do listen to a ton of classical music, which is the pop music of that era. they made pop music in albums at one point (I know, this disrupts your worldview)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

they made pop music in albums at one point (I know, this disrupts your worldview)

Yes, they made albums when they had enough singles to put one together. Maybe two or three original tracks just for the album. That's a far cry from studio albums which is what we were talking about (even more so since performers writing their own music was not that common).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes, they made albums when they had enough singles to put one together. Maybe two or three original tracks just for the album. That's a far cry from studio albums which is what we were talking about (even more so since performers writing their own music was not that common).

Again, I'm talking about classical music, which uses different terms to describe the same concept. A single is a movement; an album is an entire piece; a suite is a larger construct made of pieces - sort of like how Devin Townsend or Arjen Lucassen make cycles of albums.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sir_Substance posted:

Depends on what you are doing, of course. Websites run the spectrum from things that could just as easily be a PDF file to things that really should have been implemented in C++. I guess my comment was mostly targeted at the "webapps" market, things like webmail and so forth.

You're right, they do still have a backend, but you've have more flexible choices on what the backend was written in, the interfaces would be simpler and more secure then working with PHP. You'd probably still end up using SQL, but if you could reduce the problem by two languages, that'd be a start.

Getting rid of PHP is, of course, merely icing on the cake :sun:

Nothing says you need to use php for a web app either - you have a bunch of different choices there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Again, I'm talking about classical music, which uses different terms to describe the same concept. A single is a movement; an album is an entire piece; a suite is a larger construct made of pieces - sort of like how Devin Townsend or Arjen Lucassen make cycles of albums.

No, you're completely wrong and conflating concepts because you're a dumb-rear end.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

No, you're completely wrong and conflating concepts because you're a dumb-rear end.

Very eloquent. Why are you so bothered that people like albums, anyway? You seem to be dismissive of anyone who doesn't listen to just singles all the time. Both musical forms are valid, you know. Are you just cranky for some reason, or is this something specific?

to contribute: player pianos are rad. They are essentially a punch-card machine with a key actuator, and the keys even depress while they're being played! My great-uncle owned an eclectic antique shop, and he had a collection of player pianos in his basement (along with some rare arcade machines). This video shows how to use one variety, though as I recall they were pretty universal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcRAMZl0l0

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

WebDog posted:

The length of albums has been based on the physical item. For example, the compact disc is designed to be the same width as a cassette, so that it would fit into the same console area in a car dashboard. From the width you calculate backward to the least allowable data rate and end up with 44.1K sample rate and about 70 minutes.

The cassette was designed to fit in a standard jacket pocket. It was originally for dictation so you would want to carry it around the office.

The 12" record was based on earlier film-synch vinyl, and if I recall right the speed was based on a subdivision of the original masters which were also on vinyl, so that mechanical transcription was possible. These first had 10 minutes a side.

I really like albums. I have an album of multiple 78 rpm records. A real album.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whole songs are obsolete. Why sit through filler like instrumental breaks or, god forbid, rests? If only some company had a vision of the future where music could be reduced to soulless catchy singles not longer than a minute...

0dB posted:

The length of albums has been based on the physical item. For example, the compact disc is designed to be the same width as a cassette, so that it would fit into the same console area in a car dashboard. From the width you calculate backward to the least allowable data rate and end up with 44.1K sample rate and about 70 minutes.

This is a great, in-depth look at the creation of the CD.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Manky posted:

This is a great, in-depth look at the creation of the CD.

Lots of good info there, which contradicts some of the info I have carried about. I should have remembered that PCM tape was 44.1! Didn't know it was slower in the USA.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I really don't see how.

A decent album that's not also a concept album is basically a playlist of songs written and recorded around the same time, ideally with a bit of thought put into the order and making them sound somewhat coherent. Take something like Röyksopp's Junior and Senior - they wrote a bunch of songs, and decided to split them into one album of fairly cheerful and energetic songs (Junior), and one that's more dark and brooding (Senior). Predictably, Junior has the better singles - but Senior works better as a unit. I like them both, but split into singles, Senior wouldn't be very interesting.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Jul 15, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sir_Substance posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that given how cheap storage space and bandwidth are these days, it would be totally practical for most places to just give everyone a 1/5/10GB mailbox limit (whatever you like based on org size) and let them manage it themselves.

For starters, file attachments on email are unsolicited. You could send a large file to me, regardless if you know me or not and fill up my mail box or impede mail delivery.

Secondly, in almost all cases, you can not trust users to manage anything about their accounts. In many cases, even if you make the defaults "most secure", you will have people who don't know what they messing up their accounts to allow things they shouldn't (or people maliciously altering other peoples account settings).

Finally, while storage is cheap, pretty universally, I personally manage a about 2 dozen remote sites for my company that have T1 dedicated circuits to our HQ and maybe 3Mbps/1Mbps internet connections serving anywhere from 20 to 80 people, plus inventory management and shipping systems. That combined with my first point makes unrestricted file sizes a potentially disruptive thing when used by average users

Sir_Substance posted:

I'd like to see email go away. Something like XMPP, but with better old conversation storage and retreval options, might be viable, but you'd have to start moving the whole world over to it, annoyingly.

Email isn't likely to go away anytime soon, but I think it will continue to consolidate in to fewer and fewer providers (more and more corporations are moving to cloud based email with Microsoft or Google rather than internally hosted). And I expect these providers to eventually move to some kind of newer email protocol that they use between each other that has more trust and verification of senders involved. If that ever happens, I personally think that SMTP as it is to day may eventually die off because the only people who would continue to use it would be spammers.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Whatever replaces email needs to have some built-in mechanism to severely limit spammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
One foot in the grave for on-demand movie channels brought to you by your cable/satellite company:

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/viewer-s-choice-pay-per-view-to-be-shut-down-in-september-bell-media-says-1.1206659