Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Red River comes with the novel it was based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TrixRabbi posted:

So did The Man Who Fell To Earth. And Rashomon, sorta.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cacator posted:

So did The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Only if you bought the DVD.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
The Complete Mr. Arkadin also has Welles' novel. It's a pretty sweet set all around.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

TrixRabbi posted:

So does The Furies, which is a pretty good little novel actually.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Picnic at Hanging Rock does too.

Nashville also has the same box layout as Fantastic Mr. Fox and it doesn't bug me in the slightest.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Friedpundit posted:

Nashville also has the same box layout as Fantastic Mr. Fox and it doesn't bug me in the slightest.
I think I should have picked up Nashville instead of Solaris. So glad these criterions don't depreciate. :D

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Found a copy of The Makioka Sisters on Bluray at a used movie/junk store over the weekend for pretty cheap. Total blind buy for me, and my first criterion purchase. Pretty hyped regardless.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fenix down posted:

So glad these criterions don't depreciate. :D

This. I was in a tight spot between being a graduate and being employed and I made a tidy sum selling all of my Tati discs, secure in the knowledge that they'll eventually be reissued.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I sold my Playtime and Trafic for what the box set will likely cost.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Friedpundit posted:

The truly "obnoxious" ones are the boxes that look like normal boxes but are ever so slightly wider (e.g. Hearts and Minds)

Not that it's a real issue but maybe you care about that sort of thing.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The John Cassavetes set showed up which is a shock because for me BN takes a month to get here, going to watch Killing of a Chinese Bookie tonight (The shorter version)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

The John Cassavetes set showed up which is a shock because for me BN takes a month to get here, going to watch Killing of a Chinese Bookie tonight (The shorter version)

Yea my copies of Ace in the Hole & Jules and Jim from B&N arrived here in Canada after 12 days - normally taking a month or longer. Safe to say I was pleasantly surprised!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't know about Anatomy of a Murder being better than 12 Angry Men. It's hard to be too impressed by a movie that tries to distract the audience with flashy nonsense like "background music" and "female characters"

Friedpundit posted:

That reminds me, I was also told itt that Nashville is better than Slacker, and that is a damned lie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Criterion's putting Watership Down up on their iTunes channel:

Not sure if this means a future disc release, but that'd be cool. Would be nice if this meant more animated Criterion releases but I don't want to get my hopes up.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

COMPLETE Jacques Tati. Woohoo!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Looks like we're getting:

The Complete Jacques Tati (some upgraded, some new I presume?)
The Vanishing (upgrade)
F for Fake (upgrade)
My Darling Clementine

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#729-731: THE COMPLETE JACQUES TATI (7-disc BR/12-disc DVD, Oct 28)

•New digital restorations of all six feature films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays of Jour de fête, Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, Trafic, and Parade and uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray of PlayTime
•New digital restorations of all seven short films: On demande une brute (1934), Gai dimanche (1935), Soigne ton gauche (1936), </>L’école des facteurs (1946), Cours du soir (1967), Forza Bastia (1978), and Dégustation maison (1978)
•Two alternate versions of Jour de fête, a partly colorized 1964 version and the full-color 1994 rerelease version
•Original 1953 theatrical release version of Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday
•My Uncle, the version of Mon oncle that director Jacques Tati created for English-language audiences
•Introductions by actor and comedian Terry Jones to Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, Mon oncle, and PlayTime
•Archival interviews with Tati
•In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot, a 1989 documentary about Tati’s beloved alter ego
•Five visual essays by Tati expert Stéphane Goudet
•New interview with film scholar Michel Chion on the sound design of Tati’s films
•“Jour de fête”: In Search of the Lost Color, a 1988 documentary on the process of realizing Tati’s original color vision for that film
•Once Upon a Time . . . “Mon oncle,” a 2008 documentary about the making of that film
•Everything Is Beautiful, a 2005 piece on the fashion, furniture, and architecture of Mon oncle
•Selected-scene commentaries on PlayTime by Goudet, theater director Jérôme Deschamps, and critic Philip Kemp
•Tativille, a documentary shot on the set of PlayTime
•Beyond “PlayTime,” a short 2002 documentary featuring on-set footage
•An Homage to Jacques Tati, a 1982 French TV program featuring Tati friend and set designer Jacques Lagrange
•Audio interview with Tati from the U.S. premiere of PlayTime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival
•Interview with PlayTime script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot from 2006
•Tati Story, a short biographical film from 2002
•Professor Goudet’s Lessons, a 2013 classroom lecture by Goudet on Tati’s films
•Alternate English-language soundtracks for Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday and PlayTime
•New English subtitle translations
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics David Cairns, James Quandt, Jonathan Rosenbaum, and Kristin Ross

Excuse me while I change my pants.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh looking forward to My Darling Clementine, it's a great classic western.

edit: vvvv Nice! Now that is how you do a western movie cover!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 15, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Brb throwing out all of my other possessions.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Oh sweet jesus

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#732: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (BR/2-disc DVD, Oct 14)

•New 4K digital restoration of the theatrical release version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•High-definition presentation of the 103-minute prerelease version of the film
•New audio commentary featuring John Ford biographer Joseph McBride
•New interview with western historian Andrew C. Isenberg about the real Wyatt Earp
•Comparison of the two versions by the UCLA Film & Television Archive’s Robert Gitt
•New video essay by Ford scholar Tag Gallagher
•A Bandit’s Wager, a 1916 short costarring Ford and directed by his brother, Francis Ford, featuring new music composed and performed by Donald Sosin
•NBC broadcast reports from 1963 and 1975 about the history of Tombstone and Monument Valley
•Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs
•Trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic David Jenkins

#733: LA DOLCE VITA (BR/2-disc DVD, Oct 21)

•New 4K digital restoration by the Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New visual essay by : : kogonada
•New interview with filmmaker Lina Wertmüller, who worked as assistant director on the film
•Scholar David Forgacs discusses the period in Italy’s history when the film was made
•New interview with Italian film journalist Antonello Sarno about the outlandish fashions seen in the film
•Audio interview with actor Marcello Mastroianni from the early 1960s, conducted by film historian Gideon Bachmann
•Felliniana, a presentation of ephemera related to La dolce vita from the collection of Don Young
•PLUS: An essay by critic Gary Giddins

#133: THE VANISHING (BR/DVD reissue, Oct 28)

•New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interview with director George Sluizer
•New interview with actor Johanna ter Steege
•Trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic Scott Foundas

#288: F FOR FAKE (BR upgrade, Oct 21)

•New, restored digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary from 2005 by cowriter and star Oja Kodar and director of photography Gary Graver
•Introduction from 2005 by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
•Orson Welles: One-Man Band, a documentary from 1995 about Welles’s unfinished projects
•Almost True: The Noble Art of Forgery, a fifty-two-minute documentary from 1997 about art forger Elmyr de Hory
•60 Minutes interview from 2000 with Clifford Irving about his Howard Hughes autobiography hoax
•Hughes’s 1972 press conference exposing Irving’s hoax
•Extended, nine-minute trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

Holy poo poo. This is the most epic Criterion month ever. I'm not wild about La Dolce Vita, but I definitely owe it a second look. And I don't need to own The Vanishing. But I want all the others. That said, I'm saving up for a wedding, so I'm buying just the Tati and the others can wait.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

I'm excited to revisit this one in hi-def, it's been a long time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'll try and wait for the next B&N sale for the Tati box but drat is it tempting. I suppose there was no chance they would ever include The Illusionist but it looks like a beautiful set.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Holy poo poo. This is the most epic Criterion month ever. I'm not wild about La Dolce Vita, but I definitely owe it a second look. And I don't need to own The Vanishing. But I want all the others. That said, I'm saving up for a wedding, so I'm buying just the Tati and the others can wait.

This is such a Sophie's Choice kind of month, isn't it. I want everything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh my god, this loving month.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Will pay whatever they want for this, goddamn I'm really excited about getting this.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I loving love The Vanishing but I don't think I really need to upgrade, even though the DVD is barebones. And F for Fake is one of the few Criterions I paid retail price for so I can't justify buying it again.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The Vanishing is one of the few movies that absolutely terrifies me.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Oh my god, this loving month.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

kaujot posted:

The Vanishing is one of the few movies that absolutely terrifies me.

I drat near had a panic attack at the ending the one and only time I've watched it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
This is nuts. I think I'm getting everything except The Vanishing, and that only because I've seen it so many times.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

This is nuts. I think I'm getting everything except The Vanishing, and that only because I've seen it so many times.

How have you managed to watch it more than once (or twice at the absolute most)?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

kaujot posted:

How have you managed to watch it more than once (or twice at the absolute most)?

For me it has such a cold, methodical way of presenting information and I enjoy seeing how the plot progresses.

And I'm a sucker for mega-downer endings if the build up was done well enough (see: Chinatown)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Insomnia and The Vanishing make a great double feature if you enjoy feeling awful, and I apparently do because the first time I saw them I did that.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

kaujot posted:

It was on IFC like every week a few years ago, so it was on in the background a lot during college. I've also seen the terrible American remake once and change, just to show the awful ending to someone who didn't believe me about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

F for Fake is one of my favorite things, not even movies, just things, ever. It'll be my once-yearly outside of a sale purchase.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
October is probably the month where I buy a shitload of titles at full price, because goddamn. I'm loving the westerns that Criterion is pushing out.

If I've never seen The Vanishing, is it worth it? The barebones disc made me think I'll pass, but you guys are giving it a good rap.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Noooo don't buy them full-price, the second of the year's Barnes and Noble sales is in November! You can wait three weeks!

And yes, The Vanishing is an amazing, tense, slow crawl of a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh sweet, I always thought it was in December, and I have to get stuff shipped to my office...and Barnes and Noble are hopeless at shipping stuff overseas. Now I just gotta save.