Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

RebBrownies posted:

Thank you so much Taptheforward Assist for all the information!!!! :) I really like the sound of medieval stringed instruments but I'm not looking to only play music from the repertoire :) I'm going to take your advice and check out the ukulele thread and do some research into the bouzouki! :) Thank you so much for all of the information !! :)

You might also consider a regular old classical guitar - there is a huge library of renaissance and baroque lute music arranged for the classical guitar out there, much of it in tablature, and much of it free on the internet (classtabs.org, for instance). If you want to go a little offbeat you could get a fractional size classical guitar, as in these Rob MacKillop videos:

http://robmackillop.net/the-romantic-guitar/

A 7/8 size classical guitar is a wonderful instrument in many ways, and it also happens to work well for early music (especially with gut or faux gut strings). They're not terribly expensive, easy to find new, and I would imagine that they're not hard to find used either, since people buy them for kids.

Or split the difference and get a guitalele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Hello thread,

I used to play alto recorder when I grew up, and then I quit playing music altogether for some 15 years. I recently felt like starting again, and I bought a cheap electric guitar, and I'm having fun with learning a completely new type of instrument.

I regularly visit Japan to meet my in-laws, and I thought about the idea of picking up a Japanese instrument this summer. I'm either considering picking up some kind of flute, as I have experience of it from childhood, or something completely different. A shamizen or a biwa is probably way too expensive for this though, as it would be more of a side hobby as I can barely come far enough with my guitar to be able to play some simple chords.

I checked the available info in this threads on Japanese instruments, and didn't find so much. Any good ideas for an instrument that would suit me? It would preferably be A) not so expensive and B) simple enough to learn on my own as I doubt I could find an instructor.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

lilljonas posted:

A shamizen or a biwa is probably way too expensive for this though, as it would be more of a side hobby as I can barely come far enough with my guitar to be able to play some simple chords.

I checked the available info in this threads on Japanese instruments, and didn't find so much. Any good ideas for an instrument that would suit me? It would preferably be A) not so expensive and B) simple enough to learn on my own as I doubt I could find an instructor.

Which region of Japan will you be in? That might make some slight difference (if Hokkaido, get a tonkori!).

While the classical shamisen can be kinda pricey, the more folksy variants like the Okinawan sanshin, the cigar-box like gottan, or the tin-can kankara. For a casual player one of those would be much of a muchness at a much lower price. Sanshin and kankara are reasonably easy to order online in the US, but gottan is a bit rarer, so being able to shop around for one in person might have a more pronounced advantage there.

Another unusual Japanese instrument is the taishogoto which we discuss earlier in the thread. They are apparently quite easy to find in Japan, and tons of them floating around the used market for like $100 or less there, so you could shop around to find a used of reputable make in good shape. They're a bit odd and jangly to the American ear, but are certainly quirky and bring in an unusual sound.

- Here's some fancy playing with looping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXtrcYjock
- Taishogoto and guitar duo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqQoU2rA-e8
- Here's an electric one sounding cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJnABh4bq0

Aside from the above, your best bet would be one of the flutes. Shakuhachi is popular enough in the US that you can find plenty of options back here, but for the less-common forms of bamboo flutes it might be helpful to shop around in person.

If the prices are low enough, you could probably do one string instrument and one flute. Plus any of the above string instruments would look awesome hanging on the wall when not in use.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, trippy combo of hammered dulcimer and mountain. Dude, who ARE you? I thought I knew all the weird instruments in the world but you show me a new one about every week.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I still regret not getting a Taishigoto while I was there, but I already had enough trouble carrying home everything else! I saw them in the second hand stores almost always in the 50 to 60 dollar range. Second hand beginner sanshins in Okinawa were usually around/under 100 bucks too, but they were competing with all the touristy joints.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Which region of Japan will you be in? That might make some slight difference (if Hokkaido, get a tonkori!).

While the classical shamisen can be kinda pricey, the more folksy variants like the Okinawan sanshin, the cigar-box like gottan, or the tin-can kankara. For a casual player one of those would be much of a muchness at a much lower price. Sanshin and kankara are reasonably easy to order online in the US, but gottan is a bit rarer, so being able to shop around for one in person might have a more pronounced advantage there.

Another unusual Japanese instrument is the taishogoto which we discuss earlier in the thread. They are apparently quite easy to find in Japan, and tons of them floating around the used market for like $100 or less there, so you could shop around to find a used of reputable make in good shape. They're a bit odd and jangly to the American ear, but are certainly quirky and bring in an unusual sound.

- Here's some fancy playing with looping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXtrcYjock
- Taishogoto and guitar duo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqQoU2rA-e8
- Here's an electric one sounding cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJnABh4bq0

Aside from the above, your best bet would be one of the flutes. Shakuhachi is popular enough in the US that you can find plenty of options back here, but for the less-common forms of bamboo flutes it might be helpful to shop around in person.

If the prices are low enough, you could probably do one string instrument and one flute. Plus any of the above string instruments would look awesome hanging on the wall when not in use.

Thanks! As a matter of fact, I'll be in western Hokkaido. I'm not in the US and I've never seen any Japanese instruments in any shops here in Sweden. My plan is to check out the local music shops in Otaru and maybe even Sapporo, and see what I stumble upon. Should be fun!

How hard are the various types of koto to learn, relatively speaking? (koto, yamatogoto, taishogoto etc.)

I read a bit about the flutes, and the shakuhachi sounds like the easiest one to grasp as a somewhat decent recorder player, am I right? The transverse flutes look and sound interesting, but I read that they are more difficult to learn. However, looking around at youtube etc., I like the sound of the ryuuteki. I'll keep your post in mind when I go there in a few weeks, and post what I find.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Didn't see it in the OP, so I'll suggest it here. Everyone needs a Jaw Harp (Juice Harp, Jews Harp, not to be confused with a mouth harp). Cheap as hell, fits in your pocket and even played poorly, is immensely entertaining. There are several styles, and if its an instrument you think you'd like to try, I recommend getting yourself a large "Charlie Brown" style. They aren't as fiddly to use as some other ones, but they still have a good range of sound.

Top one is the Charlie Brown

Edit for picture, and to state that I found the jawharp in the list.

Noeland fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 10, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Noeland posted:

Top one is the Charlie Brown

IIRC, the smaller and fine ones with the really wide loop are called "Austrian" and the larger ones of heavier bar what have a more circular loop are "Ozark". European tradition has mostly metal jawharps, but eastern Asia in particular has a lot of wooden/bamboo ones. I used to play jawharp a lot, but due to some mouth damage in the miltiary I have this real paranoia about my fangs, so my intent has been to focus on mouthbow, which accomplishes a very similar thing but doesn't involve having anything near the teeth.

Weird long-shot, but for kicks I bid very low on a taishogoto on eBay, and got it for around $18 shipped. I can't guarantee condition, but taishogoto are pretty durable, and it still even has the box which makes me think it probably wasn't played much (not that many Americans would log tons of hours onone). <s>If anyone (US only) here wants it for $18 shipped, shoot me a PM or email me at my username at yahoo, and I can have it shipped to your house rather than mine.</s> UPDATE, WENT TO ANOTHER GOON It looks kind of like this one except no painting or fake gold:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 11, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Weird long-shot, but for kicks I bid very low on a taishogoto on eBay, and got it for around $18 shipped. I can't guarantee condition, but taishogoto are pretty durable, and it still even has the box which makes me think it probably wasn't played much (not that many Americans would log tons of hours onone). If anyone (US only) here wants it for $18 shipped, shoot me a PM or email me at my username at yahoo, and I can have it shipped to your house rather than mine. It looks kind of like this one except no painting or fake gold:

For the first time in my life I'm glad I'm in Canada. This will let me do important things first. You know, like learning to play the other instruments I already have. *twitch*

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Sent you a PM, I would love to learn one of those.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 10, 2014

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Dang, if you ever change your mind and want to get it rid of that taishogoto, goon who types faster than me, let me know!

Lilljonas, if you are going to Hokkaido try looking for a Tonkori (five string lyre sort of thing played by the Ainu). Apparently folk revivalists are trying to bring them back. I don't know if it's the kind of thing you can just go and buy easily, though, or the kind of thing where everything is either cheap-touristy or heirloom-expensive.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
After reading this thread for a few days I finally caved in and bought not just a vintage little $6 Schwarz jawharp, but also one of those nifty $25 PVC Native American flutes. Pretty modest-priced instruments, but at the moment I'm trying to stay frugal while also trying to sate a craving to play on something other than a C-key harmonica. Which I could never get the hang of that well anyway.

I ordered from http://www.laughingcrow.com/ for my PVC NAF, and decided to purchase it over the other $25 Sounds We Make flute, simply because I was able to hear this flute being played and liked its sound a lot, while I wasn't sure about the other flute's sound other than a single 240p video. Once I receive it and screw around with it for a week or two, I'll try to give a review on its quality for any future NAF players. :toot:

Khioniia
Aug 4, 2003

Add me to the list of people who have purchased instruments after reading this thread.

Ended up getting a Concertina Connection Rochelle based on reviews here and elsewhere. I think it does exactly what it says on the tin - it's clearly not a high-end instrument, but the notes are true, it plays consistently, and there are no odd issues that have come up yet. It's a little less responsive than it could be and I can see why you'd want to upgrade once you were more experienced, but it feels like a great beginner-intermediate instrument, which is what it's billed as and what I bought it as. I'm delighted - I can comfortably learn on it without any concerns that I'm going to break it or that it's not doing what it should, so I can just worry about getting my end of things right. (Also, props to them for getting it to Australia in less than 2 weeks).

Coming from piano/flute, the different notes on push-pull is really unintuitive, but it's great fun trying something completely different.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

I ordered from http://www.laughingcrow.com/ for my PVC NAF, and decided to purchase it over the other $25 Sounds We Make flute, simply because I was able to hear this flute being played and liked its sound a lot, while I wasn't sure about the other flute's sound other than a single 240p video. Once I receive it and screw around with it for a week or two, I'll try to give a review on its quality for any future NAF players.

Definitely do, NAF is one of the chillest instruments to mess with. And though less traditional, I'm fond of the plastic ones because they're easy to just chuck in a backpack, or carry around with you during the day to play when you have a spare moment. Just take a glance at the most basic fingering charts (you don't need the fancy cross-fingered notes at first, just the simple notes), and then just mess around by ear.

Out of curiosity, have any NAF goons here actually learned any traditional songs on it? I mess around playing some familiar Anglo melodies just as an exercise, or I'll wander around riffing, but I've never really tried to figure out what the "classic" tunes of the genre are. Although presumably any standardized repertoire would be a pretty modern innovation given how disparate the American Indian cultures that played these.

quote:

Lilljonas, if you are going to Hokkaido try looking for a Tonkori (five string lyre sort of thing played by the Ainu). Apparently folk revivalists are trying to bring them back. I don't know if it's the kind of thing you can just go and buy easily, though, or the kind of thing where everything is either cheap-touristy or heirloom-expensive.

Tonkori would be pretty awesome; it's a very limited instrument in the sense that Anglo-Saxon lyre or traditional small kantele are, but for making personal chill-out music that's no problem. The only place I personally know of selling them is the Ainu Museum in Sapporo, but it may be that some local makers turn them out. But not sure what places other than the museum would have them as an off-the-shelf item.

We have a goon here who was building an Ainu-Siberian hybrid lyre, not sure where that project is at the moment.

Khioniia posted:

Ended up getting a Concertina Connection Rochelle based on reviews here and elsewhere. I think it does exactly what it says on the tin - it's clearly not a high-end instrument, but the notes are true, it plays consistently, and there are no odd issues that have come up yet. It's a little less responsive than it could be and I can see why you'd want to upgrade once you were more experienced, but it feels like a great beginner-intermediate instrument, which is what it's billed as and what I bought it as. I'm delighted - I can comfortably learn on it without any concerns that I'm going to break it or that it's not doing what it should, so I can just worry about getting my end of things right. (Also, props to them for getting it to Australia in less than 2 weeks).

Coming from piano/flute, the different notes on push-pull is really unintuitive, but it's great fun trying something completely different.

It is indeed a really reasonable starter instrument. The tone on my Elise is actually pretty good, reed response decent. What got me to upgrade was mainly the fewer buttons (doesn't apply in the Anglo case), the stiffness of the bellows, and slow return of the buttons. But even having a nicer Morse duet now, I still keep my Elise as a decent backup. Good pace on shipping; Wim got mine out to Afghanistan in about that much time too.

What kind of music are you looking to play, and how did you come to choose Anglo from amongst the three types?

FAKEEDIT: I usually pick up beater 20b Anglos in the $50 range if I see them (used 20b are way cheaper than 30 since Irish players want 30), but I don't as often see cheaper English concertinas, but I just picked a 30b Scarlatti English up for $150. I'll check it out when I get it, and if it's decent of fixable I'll post it in SA Mart (and link here) in case we have any goons who've wanted a cheap English. The Concertina Connection instruments are better and more reliable, but those are usually at least $275 used, so this Scarlatti could be a serviceable cheap-cheapie.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Definitely do, NAF is one of the chillest instruments to mess with. And though less traditional, I'm fond of the plastic ones because they're easy to just chuck in a backpack, or carry around with you during the day to play when you have a spare moment. Just take a glance at the most basic fingering charts (you don't need the fancy cross-fingered notes at first, just the simple notes), and then just mess around by ear.

Out of curiosity, have any NAF goons here actually learned any traditional songs on it? I mess around playing some familiar Anglo melodies just as an exercise, or I'll wander around riffing, but I've never really tried to figure out what the "classic" tunes of the genre are. Although presumably any standardized repertoire would be a pretty modern innovation given how disparate the American Indian cultures that played these.

Tonkori would be pretty awesome; it's a very limited instrument in the sense that Anglo-Saxon lyre or traditional small kantele are, but for making personal chill-out music that's no problem. The only place I personally know of selling them is the Ainu Museum in Sapporo, but it may be that some local makers turn them out. But not sure what places other than the museum would have them as an off-the-shelf item.

We have a goon here who was building an Ainu-Siberian hybrid lyre, not sure where that project is at the moment.

It is indeed a really reasonable starter instrument. The tone on my Elise is actually pretty good, reed response decent. What got me to upgrade was mainly the fewer buttons (doesn't apply in the Anglo case), the stiffness of the bellows, and slow return of the buttons. But even having a nicer Morse duet now, I still keep my Elise as a decent backup. Good pace on shipping; Wim got mine out to Afghanistan in about that much time too.

What kind of music are you looking to play, and how did you come to choose Anglo from amongst the three types?

FAKEEDIT: I usually pick up beater 20b Anglos in the $50 range if I see them (used 20b are way cheaper than 30 since Irish players want 30), but I don't as often see cheaper English concertinas, but I just picked a 30b Scarlatti English up for $150. I'll check it out when I get it, and if it's decent of fixable I'll post it in SA Mart (and link here) in case we have any goons who've wanted a cheap English. The Concertina Connection instruments are better and more reliable, but those are usually at least $275 used, so this Scarlatti could be a serviceable cheap-cheapie.

Well, I'm Native American (Coharie Nation) and played NAF as a kid. Haven't really played much since college, although I keep a few flutes at the house (I mainly play clawhammer banjo and Old Time fiddle nowadays). It is hard to speak of a "genre" as traditional songs (as well as the flutes themselves) will vary by tribal group. Also, there is a good bit of improvisation and making your own songs in the tradition. If you want a tunebook, R. Carlos Nakai put out a good one. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Native-American-Flute/dp/0786628987

He is Dineh (Navajo), and considered to be one of the best NAF in the world (or at least the most famous). I don't have the book in front of me, but I thing it has standard notation and fingering tab.

While I am thinking of it, does anybody here play spoons (like actual spoons, not the easy to play ones where the spoons are joined on the end)? I didn't see it list in the OP. I am trying to teach myself and struggling, so could use any good resources or advice.

EDIT: This NAF book is also pretty decent http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Flute-Magic-Introduction/dp/0786658169/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

djinndarc fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2014

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

laertes22 posted:

While I am thinking of it, does anybody here play spoons (like actual spoons, not the easy to play ones where the spoons are joined on the end)? I didn't see it list in the OP. I am trying to teach myself and struggling, so could use any good resources or advice.

I posted some links in the thread a while back. Once I get in front of the computer, I'll dig up some videos for you.

EDIT:VIDEOS
Vash of Circled by Hounds teaches basic spoon method
National Museum of Australia video demonstrating the Spoons
Grammy award winning musician David Holt with an in-depth explanation of spoon playing <-- skip the rest and just watch this one.

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 15, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I just went and updated the OP list of goons who've taken up instruments, caught up to January of this year. As y'all can imagine, the top three categories are Tinwhistle, Accordion/Concertina, Dulcimer, and Ocarina.

Wow, lots of goons taking up instruments here. It is always cool to have goons check in when they're taking up something new, but if any of y'all following took up an instrument in the last few years and ended up sticking with it, that's cool to hear about as well, so don't be shy.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I took up the 4 string tenor guitar a few months ago after wanting to upgrade from my baritone ukulele. I'm now playing it in my band, since I'm better at it than I am a regular 6 string.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Well, I think I mentioned in my last post, but I've been doing clawhammer banjo for about 2-2.5 years and Old Time fiddle for about a year. I've messed around on and off for the last few years with ukulele, rhythm bones, spoons, kalimba, tin whistle, mountain ocarina, and NAF.

Also, I did traditional shamisen lessons (Hokkaido, Nanbu/Hachinohe, and Tsugaru regional styles) for 5 years back when I lived in Japan.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Still playing both the ocarina and the clarineo. (Also a regular clarinet, but that ain't weird!)

The ocarina is a godsend for the days my respiratory system is being uncooperative. Nice and easyblowing.
The clarineo is still a favourite. It does not sound quite as nice as the regular clarinet, but I can just toss it around if I want to. Carefree, maintenance-less.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I ended up having to sell my lever harp as I just moved across the ocean and it was too big to try and bring with (this happened to a lot of my things) but I still have my irish flute I picked up because of this thread. :3:

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I got the Taishogoto from Tap yesterday, it was in pretty rough shape mechanically, but I managed to fix it up and here is the end result:

Thing sounds great, excited to get started learning on it.

Problems included a backwards bridge, a string in the wrong location, 2 pins that wouldn't hold their tune, and some bent springs. All of that was pretty minor compared to the fact someone took all of the keys off and put them on in reverse order, bending them to fit. :wtf: Naturally it sounded terrible until I noticed this. Still, for $18, worth it.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm still waiting for my jouhikko :saddowns:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
'Stuck with' isn't a good metric for me, but I did grab an Appalachian dulcimer (with TTFA assistance)
Then found a cheap banhu in a street market in Yangshuo, China (The erhu would not have fit in my luggage). In my unskilled hands it makes the most hellacious sounds I've ever heard, which is a plus!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
So talharpa update - I'm still waiting for the thing, and I have gotten no responses from the maker. So yeah, never buy from ArCane Lutherie. Can't file a chargeback due to elapsed time, Etsy doesn't really care, and I may have to go further in contacting the guy to actually get the instrument I paid for about nine months ago.

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
That really sucks. I hope it turns out well for you.

What do people here thing of the Harpkit Kantele kit? http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=kantele

sans pants
Mar 27, 2007
Freydis set the bar high.
I was in Goodwill the other day, hemmed and hawed about a lap harp (Melody Harp brand, for what it's worth)- because I already have other instruments that I don't play enough. The cashier heard me debating whether I "needed" it, and offered to give me 20% off. And when I found out tuning wrenches are as low as a buck online, I caved. :)
I wouldn't have even considered it in the first place if not for this thread, so thanks. Now I'm just waiting for the tuning wrench to get shipped.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aaaand I just bought another Night-by-noble ocarina for my father in law. This is so that he can play music for my dying mother in law who loves the mellow sound. That's what I get for bringing it over for a visit.

My total music expeditures now are about twice the amount I spent on video games in my life.

You monsters, look at what you made me do!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Trip report: after scouring Sapporo and the closest area, there's pretty much nothing more exotic than Fender guitars available in the shops. However, I could pick up something from Amazon.co.jp before leaving, and I think a flute would be the easiest since they don't take much space or weight in the luggage. I found that there are plenty of cheap shakuhachi and shinobue available, while the only ryuuteki I find is more in the "not quite buying for a lark" territory. I haven't bought a flute in 20 years, so I have really no idea what to watch out for. Is there anything special to be on the lookout for?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Got a few posts to catch up on:

quote:

Aaaand I just bought another Night-by-noble ocarina for my father in law.

I'd never really heard of that brand until you brought it up, but I'm seeing a lot of good things, and they have some really interesting models.

You really have gravitated into the whole winds thing, glad to see it's caught a hold of you!

lilljonas posted:

Trip report: after scouring Sapporo and the closest area, there's pretty much nothing more exotic than Fender guitars available in the shops. However, I could pick up something from Amazon.co.jp before leaving, and I think a flute would be the easiest since they don't take much space or weight in the luggage. I found that there are plenty of cheap shakuhachi and shinobue available, while the only ryuuteki I find is more in the "not quite buying for a lark" territory. I haven't bought a flute in 20 years, so I have really no idea what to watch out for. Is there anything special to be on the lookout for?

You didn't see any taishogotos at shops? Not that such is necessarily what you'd want, I just would've thought those would be common. Some other goon who I believe was also in Sapporo said she saw a bunch of taishogoto dirt cheap in pawnshops. The Ainu tonkori, I think is still so obscure and near-death that I can't imagine it can be bought off-the-shelf anywhere other than at the Ainu museum. I'm sure all the rest are made-to-order by likely a very small number of luthiers who probably normally build guitars but will build an occasional tonkori as a one-off, probably not a profitable segue but culturally significant.

We have a goon making a tonkori, and I will be very excited to see it when he posts pics down the road, in the fullness of time, etc.

Hmmm, bamboo flutes aren't my strong suit, but my biggest advice would be to be very conservative on quality/maker. Avoid any "looks like a good deal" unless you have very clear reason to believe it's a reputable brand.

Shinobue is something that would have less of a following in the US, so a bit more novel to bring back, whereas with shakuhachi there's a more established online community of English-speaking players, tutorials, etc. So you really can't go wrong either way. And if you're more interested in being experimental than trying to be traditional, I'd honestly just go with whatever look/sound/feel jumps out at you.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You didn't see any taishogotos at shops? Not that such is necessarily what you'd want, I just would've thought those would be common. Some other goon who I believe was also in Sapporo said she saw a bunch of taishogoto dirt cheap in pawnshops. The Ainu tonkori, I think is still so obscure and near-death that I can't imagine it can be bought off-the-shelf anywhere other than at the Ainu museum. I'm sure all the rest are made-to-order by likely a very small number of luthiers who probably normally build guitars but will build an occasional tonkori as a one-off, probably not a profitable segue but culturally significant.

We have a goon making a tonkori, and I will be very excited to see it when he posts pics down the road, in the fullness of time, etc.

Hmmm, bamboo flutes aren't my strong suit, but my biggest advice would be to be very conservative on quality/maker. Avoid any "looks like a good deal" unless you have very clear reason to believe it's a reputable brand.

Shinobue is something that would have less of a following in the US, so a bit more novel to bring back, whereas with shakuhachi there's a more established online community of English-speaking players, tutorials, etc. So you really can't go wrong either way. And if you're more interested in being experimental than trying to be traditional, I'd honestly just go with whatever look/sound/feel jumps out at you.

Actually, there seems to complete lack of traditional instruments for sale here. The music shops that I have found only have Western instruments, as in nothing else than guitars, drums and keyboards. Going the Amazon route turned out trickier than I thought, as a lot of it seems to be Chinese made stuff that I have no ability to know just how bad they could be.

That said, I haven't really had the opportunity to check pawn shops. I'm actually starting to think that I should just save up some more money for when I plan to be in Nagoya in five months, as that's a much more "traditional" area and might have actual shops where I could see the stuff in person before buying anything. If nothing else it seems that my sister-in-law's mother-in-law is a koto player there, so she might have some good recommendations.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Alright, I've caved. I've bought a cheap Walton tin whistle off Amazon and it's in the mail, and I've already decided that once I like it I'm gonna buy a couple Generation ones afterwards and give the Walton away.

I'm also getting a set of Scottish smallpipes made, but I won't get those until March or so, which works out because I still need to focus on the highland pipes and get my basic sets up to performing levels.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_395_8_aongus_o_maicin/
God dammit. Now I'm seriously considering trading in my B/C for a four voice one row.

I did this. Anybody else got one? Let's trade war stories. As for me, I am in love but my wrist hurts.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My wife and I are building the Musicmakers kantele kit I got her for her birthday... It's shaping up nicely, can't wait til it's done. Maybe I'll post a video if it works out.

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat
Please do. I might be doing that soon. I want to see what they're like from a customer. Which rosette did you pick?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bigos posted:

Please do. I might be doing that soon. I want to see what they're like from a customer. Which rosette did you pick?

I went with the snowflake design

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

lilljonas posted:

That said, I haven't really had the opportunity to check pawn shops. I'm actually starting to think that I should just save up some more money for when I plan to be in Nagoya in five months, as that's a much more "traditional" area and might have actual shops where I could see the stuff in person before buying anything. If nothing else it seems that my sister-in-law's mother-in-law is a koto player there, so she might have some good recommendations.

This sounds a much better idea, and the SIL's MIL may be a good resource for where to shop, though koto itself it quite large and involved. For casual and reasonably-affordable stuff that's trad Japanese, I'd tend to either the vertical or horizontal flutes, or for stings a shamisen variant, or if you're willing to stomach the initial annoyance of a bowed instrument, the kokyū knee-fiddle.

Taishogoto is always a novel option, and good used ones should be easy to find.

For something shamisen like but a little easier to maintain, a bit mellower, and a bit more novel, the all-wood gottan is pretty cool, and generally quite cheaper.

By the way, here's a great thread of a guy who participated in the "build a cool instrument for $100 or less" at Musical Instrument Makers' Forum; built a gottan for like $20 in scrap wood and small parts: http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=702

quote:

I did this. Anybody else got one? Let's trade war stories. As for me, I am in love but my wrist hurts.

That's me, except I played 1-row D casually for Irish just around the house, have in the past owned a few 2-stop and 4-stop. Then I got a Hohner Erica C#/D thinking it'd be cool to have the chromatics and more chords, but I just didn't warm to it and sold it quickly. Still have a little Hohner 2-stop in D, but really need to challenge myself to tighten up my repertoire and take it to a slow-session.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the albums by Johnny Connolly and John Doherty (the one who recorded Dance Sean Nos) are outstanding 1-row fodder. A little harder to find, had to order from France, is a tribute album to John Kimmel, a 1910s-1920s German American player of Irish music in Brooklyn. You can listen to his old scratchy 78s for free online, but somehow he has this cult following in Quebec so there's a double-CD tribute album called John J. Kimmel, un héritage fabuleux that's good listening of a somewhat archaic style of playing, but really well-executed.

quote:

I'm also getting a set of Scottish smallpipes made, but I won't get those until March or so,

Ooh, whose waitlist are you on? Have you yet chosen your configuration, and types of wood and mounts? I have but have still not go around to using a low-pitch sackpipa chanter that's just gorgeous figured birdseye maple with black bison horn mounts.

Here's an example of mesquite with moose antler by Banton:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Ooh, whose waitlist are you on? Have you yet chosen your configuration, and types of wood and mounts? I have but have still not go around to using a low-pitch sackpipa chanter that's just gorgeous figured birdseye maple with black bison horn mounts.

Here's an example of mesquite with moose antler by Banton:

Wow that's a gorgeous looking set! I'm going to be getting a set from EJ Jones with the 4 drones and hopefully both A and D chanters if I can spare the coin. I haven't settled on a wood/mounts just yet. My initial leaning would be mopane with either blackwood or a black horn type of mount, but I think next email I get I'm going to ask him if he has any really cool/unique ideas for pipes that he's been wanting to make. I want something unique more than a specific look but I definitely want wood that is light enough to see the grain. I'm just so tired of seeing blackwood pipes with bland mounts.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

My wife and I are building the Musicmakers kantele kit I got her for her birthday... It's shaping up nicely, can't wait til it's done. Maybe I'll post a video if it works out.

Update: we've glued everything together and are now sanding. Holy crap, be prepared for a lot of sanding. We don't have an electric sander, so we're doing it the old fashioned way with 60-grit glued to a block.

They give so much extra wood because it makes it easier to get everything joined up properly and then sanded down to join up smoothly. It's just that you will spend hours sanding it by hand. I'm stopping at Lowes on the way home to see how much a little handheld electric sander costs.

I plan to apply a few coats of boiled linseed oil, then a few thin coats of polyurethane to seal it. I really like how the BLO turned out with my Mosin Nagant stock, so I'm hoping it'll give the same nice look on the kantele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Can someone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a set of Indian tablas? I'm no percussionist, but I am familiar with music, having played piano since elementary school.

I'm just tempted to buy whatever pops up on eBay and looks the prettiest. Some are made from brass and others from steel or copper. Those that say "professional grade" look exactly like the listings that also says student grade, except they're only about $10 more expensive.

• Locked thread