Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

What ever your standard, it's about the powerful abusing the powerless and then using that power to hide that it ever happened.

e: ^^^^^ What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think you're over-thinking it a bit - Cyril Smith certainly didn't come from that class.

Instead, consider that some people go into politics because they like power over others, and extrapolate from there why there may be a higher proportion of sexual predators (paedophile or not) in the Palace of Westminster.

Then think about the other sorts of jobs those sort of people end up in - religion, education, the police, and think about how that might possibly affect reporting and investigation of such crimes. Not saying that's the case, but it's not impossible.

Yeah, I probably am overthinking it, and you may well be right about the reasons for why this has happened.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Crossposting from UKMT: Butler-Sloss is standing down from the Inquiry. It's just been announced. She said in her statement "I did not sufficiently consider whether my background & fact my brother had been Att General would cause difficulties". I wonder who will be selected to replace her.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Carol Thatcher?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bellingcat's Kickstarter is online.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
£250 to have a chat with BM. And we have him on tap for nowt!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Plavski posted:

£250 to have a chat with BM.

Clear markings of an imperialist stooge :ussr:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'll ask you if you have stairs in your house as an added bonus.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Butler-Sloss stepped aside

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28295282

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good, she was about as compromised as the term could possibly imply without actually being a child rapist herself.

I mean, she isn't, right? "Just" someone who made efforts to quash allegations and investigations of child abuse by (what presently appears to be) Tories?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Good, she was about as compromised as the term could possibly imply without actually being a child rapist herself.

I mean, she isn't, right? "Just" someone who made efforts to quash allegations and investigations of child abuse by (what presently appears to be) Tories?

Not to mention being the sister of one of the members of the Tory Cabinet (Attorney General) under investigation, and not only that, but one of the key cabinet members. I'm not sure how the current government expected to get away with that

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AtomikKrab posted:

:ohdear: I must be terrible because I want Reagan to somehow be implicated in all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DquLnRycZms

This was a documentary that was produced but never aired about a high level pedophile ring in the US during the Reagan and bush Era.

It was made in 1993 and was commissioned by the discovery channel.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

HortonNash posted:

Not to mention being the sister of one of the members of the Tory Cabinet (Attorney General) under investigation, and not only that, but one of the key cabinet members. I'm not sure how the current government expected to get away with that

They believe they are still legitimate, in their minds, there is no difference between the office and themselves. Is that idolatry on our part, or theirs?

Femur fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 14, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HortonNash posted:

The same way they expected to get away with molesting children: by guarding all the doors and holding all the keys.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Some food for thought. The first heterosexual age of consent was set in 1275, at 12 years old. It stayed there for as near as dammit exactly 600 years; then was raised to 13 in 1875, and subsequently to 16 in 1885; so in 1970, a preteen age of consent was only just on the verge of passing out of living memory.

Side note, quite a bit of that was to do with the feudal practice of marriage alliances and there were strong interests to ensure that canon law wouldn't stand in the way of a key political arrangement. That the age of consent rose just as this started not to be a concern in Western Europe is not a coincidence in my mind. Most of them were not consummated at that age (with a good number of notable exceptions though, the mother of Henry VII for one).

Side note, age of consent for women was 12 whilst it was 14 for boys.

Also, I should try and dig up that research I read about recently indicating that the average age of first child birth for commoners in those days was higher than many people thought.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Part of me wonders if Butler-Sloss was set up to make the second offer, no matter how awful and inappropriate, look better by comparison.

I'm pretty sure there's a phrase for that ploy, isn't there?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Darth Walrus posted:

Part of me wonders if Butler-Sloss was set up to make the second offer, no matter how awful and inappropriate, look better by comparison.

"The lib dems"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

It's often referred to as the Harkonnen gambit, after Dune.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, that Rabban guy is a real piece of poo poo. Thank God Feyd-Rautha is replacing him soon, he seems nice, and looks a bit like Sting.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

This is what I came here to post. It seems incredibly blatant - although there's no guarantee it's not just genuine incompetence.

FAUXTON posted:

The same way they expected to get away with molesting children: by guarding all the doors and holding all the keys.

ITT the British government are literally robots from the future sucking our life force from us while distracting us with the shiny baubles of rampant consumerism.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

El Grillo posted:

This is what I came here to post. It seems incredibly blatant - although there's no guarantee it's not just genuine incompetence.

Really? Why would the replacement be under any less scrutiny than Butler-Sloss was?

I think the appointment of Butler-Sloss was mainly incompetence: a failure to recognise or appreciate the significance of her past statements and connections.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Darth Walrus posted:

This seems wildly conspiratorial to me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, I think they just hosed up and didn't actually check things thoroughly enough.

I think given the focus on Butler-Sloss' background that any replacement is going to be vetted thoroughly, if not by the government then certainly by the press.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Zephro posted:

This seems wildly conspiratorial to me.

Yeah, lets keep the conspiracy theories out of this discussion of a decades-long government cover-up.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gum posted:

Yeah, lets keep the conspiracy theories out of this discussion of a decades-long government cover-up.
No, but at the same time let's not assume the government is peopled by Batman-type masterminds who are triple-bluffing and running false flag ops and generally playing 11-dimensional chess with everyone.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Zephro posted:

No, but at the same time let's not assume the government is peopled by Batman-type masterminds who are triple-bluffing and running false flag ops and generally playing 11-dimensional chess with everyone.

Deliberately making a bad first choice in order to make your second choice seem more reasonable: Literally Batman playing 11-dimensional chess.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Considering we don't know who the second choice is... this seems a little... silly to assume.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Who said anything about assuming it? I just found it funny that an established political trick was called a wild conspiracy in a thread about a government paedophile ring.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zephro posted:

Using bait and switch tactics to get an appointment you want is hardly 11 dimensional chess and the slow but steady revelations of Operation Yewtree have given the establishment plenty of warning and time to plan how to line up a safe pair of hands for an enquiry. I'm really not sure this is what happened but it isn't that outlandish either.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

But if they already knew who they wanted, why didn't they just appoint that person to start with?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Whitefish posted:

But if they already knew who they wanted, why didn't they just appoint that person to start with?

Because they know the media is loving lazy and thrives on novelty (it's called the 'news' for a reason), so dodgy candidate number two is going to get less attention and scrutiny than dodgy candidate number one. Plus, if too many candidates get chased off due to being compromised as gently caress, it gives them an excuse to bury the inquiry altogether because silly old Joe Public doesn't know who he wants to lead it.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Whitefish posted:

Gum posted:

Deliberately making a bad first choice in order to make your second choice seem more reasonable

The barter system must mystify you

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

Because they know the media is loving lazy and thrives on novelty (it's called the 'news' for a reason), so dodgy candidate number two is going to get less attention and scrutiny than dodgy candidate number one. Plus, if too many candidates get chased off due to being compromised as gently caress, it gives them an excuse to bury the inquiry altogether because silly old Joe Public doesn't know who he wants to lead it.
No, this is wrong. The media is only lazy when it's got nothing to get its teeth into. This is a perfect tabloid story and you can bet that every newspaper has got reporters out raking through everybody's backgrounds looking for dirt. The fact that Butler-Sloss had to resign is going to make her replacement even more heavily scrutinised, not less. The government can't afford to gently caress up the appointment a second time, and every reporter is going to be looking for any angle that allows him or her to suggest that they have.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Zephro posted:

No, this is wrong. The media is only lazy when it's got nothing to get its teeth into. This is a perfect tabloid story and you can bet that every newspaper has got reporters out raking through everybody's backgrounds looking for dirt. The fact that Butler-Sloss had to resign is going to make her replacement even more heavily scrutinised, not less. The government can't afford to gently caress up the appointment a second time, and every reporter is going to be looking for any angle that allows him or her to suggest that they have.

If her replacement were to have failings or connections related to the allegations certainly but if they have other objectionable qualities such as being seen to be too partisan or an ardent critic of the NHS the government will be in a strong position to say "Look, you may not like this candidate but they've done nothing wrong and we really need to get this thing started!"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
A former MET detective claims he was moved from his post in 1998 when he stated his intention to investigate politicians for child abuse:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/16/uk-detective-removed-post-alleged-child-abuse-claims

quote:

A former Scotland Yard detective who won plaudits for his work on cases including the murder of Stephen Lawrence has claimed that he was moved from his post earlier when he revealed plans to investigate politicians over child abuse claims.

Speaking about his inquiries in 1998 into activity alleged to have taken place in Lambeth children's homes in the 1980s, retired detective chief inspector Clive Driscoll said that his work was "all too uncomfortable to a lot of people".

The Metropolitan police has now reportedly asked to discuss the claims with Driscoll, who told BBC Newsnight that he had a list of suspects he wanted to look at, including local and national politicians, adding: "Some of the names were people that were working locally. Some people that were if you like, working nationally, there was quite a mix really because it appeared that it was connected to other boroughs and other movement around the country."

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If her replacement were to have failings or connections related to the allegations certainly but if they have other objectionable qualities such as being seen to be too partisan or an ardent critic of the NHS the government will be in a strong position to say "Look, you may not like this candidate but they've done nothing wrong and we really need to get this thing started!"

I agree it's possible that that could happen, particularly if the news cycle moves on and the media lose interest in the story. But it's not guaranteed, and it would still be really stupid to rely on that happening. I just can't imagine someone going to Theresa May and proposing to her that they take the following course of action:

"Let's appoint Butler-Sloss to lead the inquiry, even though we know that her personal connections make her inappropriate and are sure to lead to outcry, meaning that Butler-Sloss will be forced to resign, and then we can appoint the person we really want safe in the knowledge that the media won't scrutinise our choice as heavily second time around!"

I just can't imagine Theresa May saying, 'that's a sensible idea'. Surely the whole idea of launching an independent inquiry is to try and cool things down and get the story out of the news cycle: i.e. it allows the government to say, 'we have launched an independent inquiry, we're waiting for the results of that inquiry, we're not involved in it and we can't comment on it until it reports'. In the meantime you hope that things move on and the issue is defused. I'm sure there are political machinations going on in that respect. But it would completely undermine that whole idea if you appoint someone to lead the inquiry who is compromised. At that point the inquiry itself is called into question before its even begun, the media get even more suspicious, and the Government find it harder to defuse the issue.

It's basically just applying Ockham's razor anyway: What's more plausible? The Government thought that Butler-Sloss was a decent candidate but failed to appreciate that she might appear biased because they were acting under the strain of a 24 hour media cycle that was pressuring them to act quickly? Or that they cooked up a plan to use Butler-Sloss as a decoy, even though there's no guarantee that the plan would work and in fact a real danger that it could inflame the situation rather than defuse it?

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 16, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ockham's Razor would suggest that there is no systemic child abuse going on at all because it's much easier for people to lie about being abused rather than there being a vast conspiracy to abuse and cover it up.

One thing that infuriates me is the idea that certain policies are best ascribed to incompetence than pure malice. That someone like Boris Johnson might look and act like a buffoon so any decisions made come from a position of stupidity is insulting.

These people know what they're doing. If they didn't, they would not be where they are.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's not just celebrities who are paedophiles

quote:

660 arrested in paedophile inquiry

More than 600 suspected paedophiles have been arrested as part of a six-month operation targeting people accessing child abuse images online.

The National Crime Agency said those among the 660 arrested included doctors, teachers, scout leader, care workers and former police officers.

More than 400 children have been safeguarded, the agency said.

Arrests were made across the United Kingdom and included many people who had no previous contact with police.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Ockham's Razor would suggest that there is no systemic child abuse going on at all because it's much easier for people to lie about being abused rather than there being a vast conspiracy to abuse and cover it up.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Ockham's razor is just the idea that you should favour the simplest explanation of the evidence you currently have. What counts as the 'simplest explanation' will depend to a certain extent on your prior beliefs. If you have a prior belief that people are quite likely to lie about being abused (perhaps for political reasons) then you will favour the explanation that there is no systemic child abuse, and instead there's (systemic?) lying about child abuse having occurred.

There are so many unknowns at the moment so it's hard to say what the simplest explanation is, but my own view is that given that the rumours are quite widespread, the simplest explanation is to say that there's something to them. It seems unlikely to me that so many rumours would be floating around if there was no truth to any of them. But it also seems plausible to me that some of them are false (because rumours often are). But I really don't think the simplest explanation based on the evidence we have is that all the rumours are false.

Ddraig posted:

One thing that infuriates me is the idea that certain policies are best ascribed to incompetence than pure malice. That someone like Boris Johnson might look and act like a buffoon so any decisions made come from a position of stupidity is insulting.

These people know what they're doing. If they didn't, they would not be where they are.

Well of course it's wrong to say that it's always malice or always stupidity. Of course politicians can be malicious, but equally politicians are human and can make mistakes. You often get people saying one moment that all politicians in the Government are idiotic, and on the other depicting the Government as an all-powerful system that effortlessly achieves its pernicious aims. But it's surely never that simple, particularly given the system of Government we have in this country. The Government is a vast organisation constituted by lots of different institutions, staffed and controlled by people with different interests and ideologies. Within that system there are some very effective operators and some less effective operators. No one has total control over the entire system because it's so vast. People who are effective within the system can use it to achieve their goals (good or bad), but at times there are bound to be mistakes and system failures.

I agree that certain policies can be ascribed to malice, but without specific evidence of malice I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. I think people often want to believe a policy is borne out of pure malice because then it makes it easier to disagree with it. It's easier to disagree with someone who's doing something that even they know to be morally wrong than it is to disagree with someone who genuinely believes that what they are doing is right.

But I do agree with you that Boris Johnson plays up to his image as a buffoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Whitefish posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true. Ockham's razor is just the idea that you should favour the simplest explanation of the evidence you currently have. What counts as the 'simplest explanation' will depend to a certain extent on your prior beliefs. If you have a prior belief that people are quite likely to lie about being abused (perhaps for political reasons) then you will favour the explanation that there is no systemic child abuse, and instead there's (systemic?) lying about child abuse having occurred.

There are so many unknowns at the moment so it's hard to say what the simplest explanation is, but my own view is that given that the rumours are quite widespread, the simplest explanation is to say that there's something to them. It seems unlikely to me that so many rumours would be floating around if there was no truth to any of them. But it also seems plausible to me that some of them are false (because rumours often are). But I really don't think the simplest explanation based on the evidence we have is that all the rumours are false.

Well of course it's wrong to say that it's always malice or always stupidity. Of course politicians can be malicious, but equally politicians are human and can make mistakes. You often get people saying one moment that all politicians in the Government are idiotic, and on the other depicting the Government as an all-powerful system that effortlessly achieves its pernicious aims. But it's surely never that simple, particularly given the system of Government we have in this country. The Government is a vast organisation constituted by lots of different institutions, staffed and controlled by people with different interests and ideologies. Within that system there are some very effective operators and some less effective operators. No one has total control over the entire system because it's so vast. People who are effective within the system can use it to achieve their goals (good or bad), but at times there are bound to be mistakes and system failures.

I agree that certain policies can be ascribed to malice, but without specific evidence of malice I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. I think people often want to believe a policy is borne out of pure malice because then it makes it easier to disagree with it. It's easier to disagree with someone who's doing something that even they know to be morally wrong than it is to disagree with someone who genuinely believes that what they are doing is right.

But I do agree with you that Boris Johnson plays up to his image as a buffoon.

Good post. Yeah, it certainly wouldn't be the first time politicians have failed to have someone vetted properly. It also wouldn't be the first time politicians have used a bait-and-switch maneuver. But having read whitefish's post and thought it through, the former certainly seems far more likely in this case - I'd imagine they really want to get the whole thing off the front page as soon as possible.

• Locked thread