Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is a comedy shounen manga parodying shoujo romance manga written and drawn by Tsubaki Izumi. It is currently being adapted by Dogakobo and Yamazaki Mitsue.

Description stolen from Batoto:
High school junior Sakura Chiyo confesses to her crush, Nozaki Umetaro, only for him to mistake her for a fan of his monthly romance manga, Let's Love. He promptly recruits her to work as his assistant. Luckily, Nozaki and Sakura are both friends with a number of pretty much insane people who work well as models and examples for Nozaki to base his characters on.

Nozaki Umetaro (Nakamura Yuichi), aka Yumeno Sakiko, is a high school student who writes and draws shoujo manga. Despite his image as a sensitive, delicate woman, he's actually an overly blunt dude who has no experience with love whatsoever.

Sakura Chiyo (Ozawa Ari) attempted to confess her love to Nozaki, but he ends up employing her to do the ink for his manga. According to the official website, she's 145 cm/four feet, nine inches tall.

Mikoshiba Mikoto (Okamoto Nobuhiko), aka Mikorin, is a big nerd who's incapable of saying what he thinks. Unfortunately for him, this ends up giving him a reputation as a flirtatious playboy. Mamiko, the heroine of Nozaki's manga, is more-or-less directly based on him. What is his artistic specialty?

Seo Yuzuki (Sawashiro Miyuki) is Sakura's classmate and friend. She's pretty considerate of others. She's good at giving advice, frequently asked to be a substitute, perfectly aware of her surroundings, and she can read the atmosphere. Isn't she too perfect?!

Kashima Yu (Nakahara Mai) is a member of the drama club, and known as the Prince of the School. She's good at sports, makes good grades, and is very popular with the other girls at school. Nevertheless, she still manages to constantly piss off Hori.

Hori Masayuki (Ono Yuki) is president of the drama club, and does the backgrounds for Nozaki's manga. One year older than most of the cast and a talented actor, he generally relegates himself to backstage roles due to his height. Normally level-headed, he alternates between doting on and beating up Kashima.

Wakamatsu Hirotaka (Kimura Ryohei) is a member of the basketball club, and one year younger than most of the cast. He is the usual target for Seo's aggression, and only finds refuge in the soothing songs of the mysterious Lorelei, which immediately put him to sleep. Can he properly communicate his true feelings to Seo?

You can watch this on Crunchyroll on Sundays at 12:05 PST. Unless you live somewhere they aren't supporting, I guess.

Also, don't spoil that bit with the otome game for people unfamiliar with the manga, or I'll cry.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i like this show

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I feel that the series description on Batoto is somewhat misleading along with the tags on Crunchyroll, since I keep seeing people expecting a lot of romance out of it. Too bad for them it's more of an awesome comedy :colbert:

All of the characters are the best, but I'm pretty sure Seo is the most hilarious one by far.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A couple gifs from the spring thread that are missing here.

This show owns, the manga owns, and every character owns. For me, I think it's between Seo and the Hori/Kashima pair for best character. Also since this is a comedy with no real overarching plot, I think we shouldn't worry much about spoilers in the thread.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Episode 2 felt like it had much better pacing than the first, but the Mikorin jokes for the most part I didn't find very funny. His actions towards Chiyo in wanting to be her senpai were pretty good, though. Luckily Seo absolutely stole the rest of the episode, I think she may be too perfect!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nozaki-kun is a good manga/anime and this is a good thread. I love every character except Maeno.

MAENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

:argh:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm glad a lot more people are coming around to this series now that the show is out.

Mikoshiba is my favorite character because he is clearly the biggest loser.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I hope all the characters in this show continue to be awkward oblivious losers. It's been good so far and seems to adapt the manga pretty well from the few chapters I read.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I read through the whole manga of this yesterday so the timing of the anime is pretty excellent. First episode is real good, too. Hurray!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Before I saw it I heard that the best character was going to be introduced in episode two, and still don't know who people meant.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After the first half of 2 I thought by "best girl" people had meant Mikorin, then in the second half I learned the true meaning of best girl.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The true magic of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is that every character is best character.

VVVVV I concede the point.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 14, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The true magic of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is that every character is best character.

Yeah, but Seo's really the best character

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i want the voice actress for seo to read to me before i go to bed every night

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I feel that some of the delivery in the show is a little off but still pretty good and can only get better with the full cast in play.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i want the voice actress for seo to read to me before i go to bed every night

She has the best laugh. It's applicable to so many scenarios.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gils posted:

I feel that some of the delivery in the show is a little off but still pretty good and can only get better with the full cast in play.

Chiyo is also the best character because she goes for a long time being the straight man in the series and then busts out something just as stupid and loony as what everyone else does all the time. I don't know if it's the timing or what, but it makes her hilarious rather than feeling like inconsistent characterization.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Oh my god the anime and manga are amazing! The anime is totally doing the manga justice, but there were a few jokes that I think were portrayed better in the manga. I guess they have to make a few of the gags longer to spread it out to 24 minutes. It's also been awesome that a new chapter of the manga has been coming out daily these past few days! I'm going to be bumming when they run out. How far along is the manga untranslated?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Candy Dawn posted:

Oh my god the anime and manga are amazing! The anime is totally doing the manga justice, but there were a few jokes that I think were portrayed better in the manga. I guess they have to make a few of the gags longer to spread it out to 24 minutes. It's also been awesome that a new chapter of the manga has been coming out daily these past few days! I'm going to be bumming when they run out. How far along is the manga untranslated?

We're not that far behind unfortunately. Latest chapter is 52 so daily chapters will only last another week.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Candy Dawn posted:

I did not know that the manga was still updating! Reading up on it, Best Character only becomes even better. I can't wait to see her pull her bullshit in the anime.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
This show is really great. I had high expectations for it before the season started and I was not disappointed by this adaptation! I can't wait to see how they adapt the later chapters, the manga really shines when introductions are done with and everyone's goofing around with each other.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Gonna hop on the praise train too. One of the funniest manga I've read and the anime has done a pretty good job so far, so I'm pretty confident in the rest of it.

Seo the best, of course.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This show is the greatest and I already love it to pieces.

I really liked the art gag with all of them drawing for some reason.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Casually glancing through the Spring Shows thread, I misunderstood the title and assumed this was gonna be some lame cute girls in a club show, but I was so wrong. Now I am burning through the manga at record pace. This show is rad.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Flashback time in chapter 48.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
D'awww the heroine is visually based on her even though he's oblivious about it XD Another great chapter! It was awesome to see how they first met. XD

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So does anyone know if the anime starting is what sparked these sudden, rapid translations? I just don't want them to drop off again once the show ends. (I don't even know how many episodes it's scheduled for.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Usually if the manga is good enough, translations will continue past the anime airing. For example I just finished editing a Love Lab script last night, so that should be getting an update by the end of the week.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

So does anyone know if the anime starting is what sparked these sudden, rapid translations? I just don't want them to drop off again once the show ends. (I don't even know how many episodes it's scheduled for.)

I think Roselia Scans got an additional translator and cleaner, so it's easier to release more chapters. Before, they were only composed of what, two people?

Anime's scheduled for 12 episodes by the way. I wish it was longer...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just watched the anime episodes last night-- now I'm reading the manga. Seo is mental, I love it-- her laugh is so retarded (in the best way)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chapter 30, one of the older chapters that never got scanlated, just showed up on Batoto.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258472/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun_ch30_by_anonymous

This makes 27, 28 and 31 the only missing chapters.

e: Half the pages aren't loading though, so maybe check again later?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2014

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cake Attack posted:

Chapter 30, one of the older chapters that never got scanlated, just showed up on Batoto.

It's fine now.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
That chapter is only making me look forward to next week's episode even more! Kashima always reminded me of Tamaki from Ouran, so I'm hoping her voice actor is just as bombastic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
New chapter's up: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gekkan-Shojo-Nozaki-kun/Ch-049-Read-Online

Miyako's heroine sure does look like Seo.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cake Attack posted:

Now 27's up, too.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258674/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun_ch27_by_anonymous

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Haha great Seo and Mikorin in this chapter. Love it!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chapter 50 is up. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gekkan-Shojo-Nozaki-kun/Ch-050-Read-Online

I think it's been a while since we've seen much of Miyako. Maybe I'm just confused due to some of the older chapters being updated.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
And here's chapter 51. We're close to the end of all these manga updates, only one more to go until we're caught up! And a few missing chapters in between, but those are getting translated as well.

Waka is my personal favorite character (well, besides Seo). If he read something like Fist of the North Star instead of old shoujo manga, he might do better in terms of imitation :v:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
God, if Kashima is the one calling you a dope, you know you're a lost cause. That being said, Waka is full of hilarity especially when he's Seo's punching bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why is this thread not called Yo, Ribbons