Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Machado is my rider of the day:
He fell, gave up, spend time in the ambulance, got out of the ambulance, stepped on his bike and got riding again. He finished the stage, but missed the time limit by 10 minutes. :smith:

...but then the jury showed clemency and said "You will live and ride another day!" :unsmith:

I am gonna root for him the rest of the tour now that Ted King is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

IndustrialApe posted:

Machado is my rider of the day:
He fell, gave up, spend time in the ambulance, got out of the ambulance, stepped on his bike and got riding again. He finished the stage, but missed the time limit by 10 minutes. :smith:

...but then the jury showed clemency and said "You will live and ride another day!" :unsmith:

I am gonna root for him the rest of the tour now that Ted King is gone.

That was insane to follow on Twitter. No one knew what was going on. Glad the jury decided to not be dumb for once.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Disgusting cover up by Specialized IMO.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Now they're saying it was his spare bike that hit another bike, also on top of a team car.

I'm actually inclined to believe that, given how clean the tires seat/tube is. :shrug:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What does that even mean?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

:tinfoil: posted:

Disgusting cover up by Specialized IMO.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Xabi posted:

What does that even mean?

He's been paid off by Specialized. Can't trust him

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do spare bikes have rider number plates on them? Googling some team car pictures there's quite a lack of plates on the bikes. Hmm.

Or did they change the plate over to show that it really was Bert's spare bike.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

^ The Venge was Roche's bike he was given.

I think people fail to realise the team could not give a gently caress about giving the press details or clarifying about the bike during the stage, their priority was Contador's well being, not only in a professional but personal level. Now the fog of war has lifted, it's not a surprise some stories were contradictory.

Now if you'll excuse me, I should have Specialized dropping off my new Tarmac in a few minutes.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Pvt Dancer posted:

Do spare bikes have rider number plates on them? Googling some team car pictures there's quite a lack of plates on the bikes. Hmm.

Or did they change the plate over to show that it really was Bert's spare bike.

Apparently Contador's mechanic likes to put the rider number on the spare bike as well.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/tinkoff-saxo-tangle-with-belkin-bikes-identified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

Seems plausible to me.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I think we're missing the most important part of the story, which is that the GC and KOM Jersey holders are riding Specialized bikes.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Paddyb posted:

I think we're missing the most important part of the story, which is that the GC and KOM Jersey holders are riding Specialized bikes.

Yup

I'll be watching for the fireball via eurosport

:tinfoil:

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chenghiz posted:

Apparently Contador's mechanic likes to put the rider number on the spare bike as well.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/tinkoff-saxo-tangle-with-belkin-bikes-identified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

Seems plausible to me.

Only took Specialized six hours to strongarm the right people and get their story straight, another successful coverup by big carbon :tinfoil: They also photoshopped the picture to show the clean (or ... cleaned) bike in front of Contador who's just crashed.

But really this is the most boring outcome, boo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm still in the gently caress specialized camp, they are an rear end in a top hat of a company and can die in a fire. Tinkoff to pinarello/campy next year please. Sram is gone for sure.

I'm really crushed for Bertie, this loving sucks. Vuelta is going to be nuts, Froome, Contador, Quintana.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

They're saying no Contador for Vuelta. Recovery is going to take too long.

That's okay because old man Horner is going to dig deep into his suitcase of courage and dominate.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

To hell with Framegate or whatever. Keep in mind this is the company that sued for ownership of the word "Roubaix"...

Also, I'm going to my barbershop and asking for The Peter Sagan straight away.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Do we talk women's pro cycling in here, because :lol: at this bullshit right here (Mara Abbott, 4th in GC getting bounced around by the 1st, 2nd , and 3rd place GC riders, all on Rabo-Liv)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRskFaxzZiY&t=2310s

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
This is an event in which the actual team names are company names. I struggle to care about anything company X does, the whole thing is an entertaining commercial. Same with Formula One.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BeeSeeBee posted:

Do we talk women's pro cycling in here, because :lol: at this bullshit right here (Mara Abbott, 4th in GC getting bounced around by the 1st, 2nd , and 3rd place GC riders, all on Rabo-Liv)

Hey I've ridden up that!

Specialized has been lovely with their legal department on too many occasions to count. gently caress them and their boring rear end bikes. Buying a specialized is like buying a gray camry.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
gently caress Specialized and gently caress Contador, but on the replay you can clearly see Roche waiting for the team car with Contador's crashed bike (not Roche's McClaren) which pretty obviously does not have a broken frame.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/news/timeline-details-alberto-contadors-tour-ending-crash_336328

quote:

The timeline from the crash onwards:

Contador hit the ground while trying to eat near the bottom of the descent.

Roche stopped, left Contador his McLaren Tarmac.

Contador got onto his third bike after the crash, an S-Works Tarmac with a normal Tinkoff paint job, and without a race number. His first bike had been crashed, and his second obliterated by an impact with another car. A brief shot on television showed his mechanic picking up his crashed bike, still in one piece.

Contador did not swap bikes onto Roche’s McLaren frame, as initially speculated. Roche finished the stage on his second bike, rather than his McLaren. The story of Roche’s bike getting run over seems to have been born of the confusion surrounding the incident.

Whether the frame was broken by a car or a pothole, the result is the same. Contador is out of the Tour de France.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm hoping that during the rest day someone from the top10 goes full-on mutant in the clinical department. It's now or never, the top2 riders abandoning race doesn't happen every year...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Russian Bear posted:

Specialized has been lovely with their legal department on too many occasions to count. gently caress them and their boring rear end bikes. Buying a specialized is like buying a gray camry.

Yep they literally claim exclusive use of the words roubaix and allez in relation to cycling, they can go gently caress themselves.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yep they literally claim exclusive use of the words roubaix and allez in relation to cycling, they can go gently caress themselves.

Don't forget that they're only leasing "Roubaix" from Fuji, which was a pretty funny resolution to the story.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So, does anyone actually know what happened to Contador then?

One story is he fell off while eating, which is hilarious as hes a top pro tour rider making an error sportive riders would laugh at, and the crash broke the frame.

Another is he hit a pot hole, which explains the broken frame and that caused him to come off.

And finally we have this first crash, then he was on a spare, which he crashed again and this got run over by a car.

Either way its a shame for the tour, but ultimately massively funny as he should have been banned for life for the drug cheating.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Mr "Big" "Bert" Contador should not be banned for life because somewhere a ruthless farmer is injecting drugs into his team of oxen IMO.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Dude rode 20k with a broken leg. Pretty gnarly.

I'd like to see a non-favourite random like scarponi get up but I reckon it's gonna be nibali all the way. He was a monster in that last climb.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

BeeSeeBee posted:

Man that feels like poor sports..womanship? Intentionally swinging all over the road to block someone seems like a huge dick move and wasn't there just a discussion on here about how that's looked down upon in mens cycling?

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

So, does anyone actually know what happened to Contador then?

Nicolas Roche : We were so confident in Alberto, we didn't have a Plan B. Then Plan A went out the window

Nicolas Roche posted:

We were riding close to the front of the peloton, doing about 70kph in the wet, on a really long straight bit of road, when Alberto reached into the pocket in the back of his jersey for some food and hit a hole in the road.

Unable to control his bike with one hand, his front wheel went from under him and he went head first, bounced off the road and slid into the grass verge. Riding a few places behind him in the group, I locked up my wheels and threw myself to the side to try and stop. With the speed I was going though, I only came to a halt about 50 metres after him.

I jumped off my bike and ran back up to where he was lying in shock on the grass at the side of the road.

As I helped Alberto up, I noticed his bike was broken and there was a stream of blood coming from a gash just under his right knee. His wound looked pretty bad but as a rider, my natural instinct was to simply hand him my bike and encourage him to keep going.

"Take my bike Alberto! Go, go, go!"

"Nico, I don't know if I can," he said as he hobbled out onto the road.

"Go and see. Try it, just jump on the bike!"

Alberto's left and right shoes :

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Levitate posted:

Man that feels like poor sports..womanship? Intentionally swinging all over the road to block someone seems like a huge dick move and wasn't there just a discussion on here about how that's looked down upon in mens cycling?

Mostly for a bunch sprint, but yes that would be looked down upon. If one of those riders had clipped her wheel and taken her out the commissars would have ruined them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'd have been tempted if I was the chasing rider to try and clip one of THEIR wheels and see if I could knock em down and then blame it on them blocking :v:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

God drat

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehustler posted:

I'd have been tempted if I was the chasing rider to try and clip one of THEIR wheels and see if I could knock em down and then blame it on them blocking :v:

If the cameras werent there you could have gotten away with a cheeky cleat scrape.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

I've done worse on a cycling show when I rolled a tire at 50mph. If you think about it, it's way better to expend the friction needed to stop on a leather cycling shoe than lycra/skin.

Also multiple other riders reported that Saxo was taking risks trying to move up to the front when Contador crashed, which sounds the most likely of any scenario.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

A guy would crash you out if you tried that on them.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Withnail posted:

I've done worse on a cycling show when I rolled a tire at 50mph. If you think about it, it's way better to expend the friction needed to stop on a leather cycling shoe than lycra/skin.

Also multiple other riders reported that Saxo was taking risks trying to move up to the front when Contador crashed, which sounds the most likely of any scenario.

Yeah. And there's no textile/leather to take the abrasion, normally you associate that brutality to motorcycle crashes. I've gone pretty fast on a dh bike, but doing it on a road bike in lycra is terrifying to me.

My worst equipment thing was accidentally pulling a wheelie going downhill while trailriding, landing right on my back. My camelback popped like a balloon and probably saved my back.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Cancellara drops out.

Well he can do whatever he wants I guess.

:c00lbutt:

Not homo

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Withnail posted:

Cancellara drops out.

Well he can do whatever he wants I guess.

:c00lbutt:

Not homo

Noooo my fantasy team

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Any rest day positive tests yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Any rest day positive tests yet?

:australia: :jerky:

I have to say I love this pic from OP. I have a habit of checking the OP on a regular basis for stage profiles and stuff but I always make sure to get another look at this beauty :fsmug: