Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MugiwaraYoshi
Dec 23, 2013

---Game Description---
Punch-Out!! Wii is a remake of the classic NES, SNES and arcade Punch-Out!! games. While visually a boxing game, it plays more like a puzzle game: the player fights their opponents with careful timing to dodge their attacks, hit them while they're open, and rack up Star Power for super-powered punches. Knock out your opponents three times in one round, or find their secret opening and take them out instantly.

You are Little Mac, a very short boxer with everything to prove. With the help of your trainer, former heavyweight champion Doc Louis, you must fight your way through a cavalcade of colorful, cartoony characters who run the spectrum of global stereotypes. Earn that world title, and chomp that chocolate bar!

---LP Description---
I will be playing through all six circuits, Mac's Last Stand, show off Champions Mode and Doc Louis's Punch Out, with ThornBrain and BigTUnit1 as co-commentaters. Each fight will be two rounds: the first round will show how to fight them and what they do, as well as what they and Doc Louis say between rounds. The second round, I annihilate them.

If there is something else you'd like to see, such as the "I'm just gonna kick your rear end first round" video idea we've been kicking around, feel free to leave suggestions.

---Additional Links---
Our simultaneous twofer thread of Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and Wind Waker HD NG+

Travis' simultaneous twofer thread of Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite

Thorn's simultaneous LP of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Zallard1's awesome speed run of Super Punch-Out!! blindfolded at AGDQ 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 26, 2015

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Disappointing, the thread title lead me to believe that you were going to play this with your feet. Oh well, we can't all be Vicas. :colbert:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It's a quote from the first video. We couldn't fit the whole thing into the thread title.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man you guys are the jugglingest people to LP I've seen in a while. Godspeed. On the plus side, it keeps you from burning out [ha!] when you've got something totally different to commentate on every few days.

Oh, man this is gonna be great. Those last four minutes, good lord.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
No matter how many LPs get made of this game, I will watch every one. This game has some of the liveliest animation in any game I've ever seen. It's just a joy to watch being played.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Of all the first-time characters to debut, they go with Disco Kid? I guess they can get away with more as a throwback as opposed to debuting something as heavily stereotypical as necessary to blend in with the Punch-Out universe.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Jesus Christ on this shameless pimping, but I hope your lp is good

E: okay it's pretty good

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 13, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the injury decals on the boxers when they get hurt. King Hippo even has bruises on his belly where you walloped him.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
One detail that I love is that not only does each boxer have proper voice acting, but their own versions of the match, knockdown, and victory themes.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Rocketlex posted:

No matter how many LPs get made of this game, I will watch every one. This game has some of the liveliest animation in any game I've ever seen. It's just a joy to watch being played.

The best re-continuation of the franchise was to make it about Little Mac and Doc Louis again.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I've heard some people say that Glass Joe's only win was against Bald Bull, which was something.

Also, it would be pretty cool if instead of just putting question marks for the translations of someone like King Hippo, you can always just make him say silly things, like one word for a long string of snorts.

slycooper20 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 13, 2014

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Man Yoshi, you absolutely annihilated the Minor Circuit. All other LP's I've seen on Punch-Out Wii have had at least some trouble getting past King Hippo.

Can't wait to see how you fare on the later boxers!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Quite good seeing you just wreck these guys. I would still like to see a 'you are dead' video of the different guys.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

slycooper20 posted:

I've heard some people say that Glass Joe's only win was against Bald Bull, which was something.

I think it was this guy.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Are you going to go back and do the challenge stars for each boxer?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

One detail that I love is that not only does each boxer have proper voice acting, but their own versions of the match, knockdown, and victory themes.
Yeah it's a pretty awesome way of giving much more variety to what was basically a game that had only like, four themes originally? The composers at Next Level Games are pretty fantastic for making a variety of styles as anyone who has played Mario Strikers Charged can attest to you.
Giving a whole nationalistic personality to each and every character is awesome, and since it's more or less every nationality in the world getting a big props in stereotype and music, it's okay since nobody is left out. Also fitting you mentioned the World Cup Brazil Thorn, right during the von Kaiser video :v:

I am so happy to see this LP finally, this is one of my most favourite loving games I ever played and I love it to pieces. I also saw Zallard1's blind run at AGDQ and holy gently caress it's scarily good. I just can't wait until we get to my favourite boxer of all.

And I am VERY appreciative of the subtitles, that is awesome to see and I really wanna thank you for that Yoshi. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

slycooper20 posted:

Flailed around wildly out of panic when the Bull Charge started, managed to accidentally sock him in the stomach for a KO.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
In all honestly if you don't tape the wiimote to your feet and try to play a few rounds like that I'm going to consider this LP a failure.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Man, I cant wait for the next episode, that first one was way too short.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
That was a great video! Loved seeing how you beat all those chumps so easily.

I saw a previous LP of this same game just as I was getting into boxing. That was more than 4 years ago, my how time flies.

So, if anyone has any questions about real-world boxing, feel free to ask! Like how it's no wonder Disco Kid got his teeth knocked out, since he wasn't wearing a mouthguard. That's standard boxing equipment!

And in real-world boxing, both fighters must have their trainers team in their corners. They give advice on how to beat the opponent, and treat injuries such as cuts and swelling of the face. They are also responsible for stopping the fight if they feel their guy is losing badly.

If any of you want to punch the world with your feet, then you might want to try Savate, or boxe française. Fun fact: that's the martial art of choice for Batroc the Leaper, who you might remember as the algerian terrorist Captain America beats up in The Winter Soldier.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My favorite little detail in this game (and there are many) is how King Hippo's dancing (i.e. his idle animation) makes the ropes swing and the camera shake.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

David D. Davidson posted:

In all honestly if you don't tape the wiimote to your feet and try to play a few rounds like that I'm going to consider this LP a failure.
You do realize that playing the game with your feet is an actual game mechanic.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Major Circuit will be up tonight or tomorrow, depending on when YouTube fixes their processing problem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

People don't talk about this game when discussing the best games on the Wii, and that's disappointing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

People don't talk about this game when discussing the best games on the Wii, and that's disappointing.
It is SUPER disappointing I mean what the hell, this game had EVERYTHING in it. Hell I consider it in my top fave Wii games, top fave Nintendo overall even! There's just something so wonderfully fun about it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Don Flamencholas Cage in a bear suit. World Champion.

Olivia joins us for her commentating debut, wherein we beat up her dad.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I wish Bear Hugger could be my dad. :3:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
As a Canadian, I can confirm that in a way Bear Hugger is all of our dad's, in a theological sort of way. He is the platonic ideal of Canadiana which we all strive for.

e: not only is Salmon Arm a real place, but it;s in the same province as the main office of Next Level Games' headquarters. Wouldn't surprise me if it was an employee's hometown, though they may have just chosen the most Canadian town name possible. Good thing they weren't based in Newfoundland though. (If Alberta is our Texas, Newfoundland in our Florida. Or our deep south, though that might go to northern Ontario. Much like America the farther you get from the 49th parallel the weirder poo poo gets)

e2: Given that you're wearing blue and just stomped Great Tiger, does that make you the blue raja? Also, I think the idea is that if you knock your opponent down five times they tend to stay down. Also Carmen is set in Spain.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 10, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

e2: Given that you're wearing blue and just stomped Great Tiger, does that make you the blue raja? Also, I think the idea is that if you knock your opponent down five times they tend to stay down. Also Carmen is set in Spain.

Hard cheese to swallow. What WILL the bridge club think?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

As a Canadian, I can confirm that in a way Bear Hugger is all of our dad's, in a theological sort of way. He is the platonic ideal of Canadiana which we all strive for.

e: not only is Salmon Arm a real place, but it;s in the same province as the main office of Next Level Games' headquarters. Wouldn't surprise me if it was an employee's hometown, though they may have just chosen the most Canadian town name possible.
I'm pretty sure Salmon Arm is the town where Next Level Games is located. If they wanted to choose a very Canadian place for Bear Hugger to be from, they'd have picked Moose Factory, Ontario.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
In the Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) instruction booklet, he is listed as hailing from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The Wii game retconned this into Salmon Arm, British Columbia.

Next Level Games is in Vancouver, which is a little ways from Salmon Arm. Not sure if it's been said why they chose that retcon location for where he's from.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love that Hondo's dizzy stars are tamago nigiri, and that they fall apart into their component pieces as he goes down or shakes them off. :allears:

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
Yeah, Salmon Arm is indeed a real place. I actually live in the town beside the place.

I never saw bears there though, or copious amounts of maple syrup. I think this game might be pulling our legs here.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Huh, never noticed that Don Flamenco looks like Nicolas Jaula!

If you want to see more japanese boxing, you should check Ashita no Joe, a 1960's boxing manga that is regarded as a classic. I can see it as an inspiration for Punch-Out's outlandish foreign opponents.

Tells are also important in real life boxing. Not as unsubtle as raising your eyebrows or flashing a gem, but if you know what punch is coming, you can easily counter it. Except if it's a fake-out, then you're in for a good bopping!

In this video we see a good example of how to counter.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Man there's a lot of amazing VAs all around here in the Major Circuit.

You've got Piston Hondo voiced by Kenji Takahashi, who among many other anime roles is ALSO the voice of loving Groose from Skyward Sword...so hey there's a connection.

You've got Bear Hugger voiced by Richard Newman who was Rhinox in Beast Wars, M. Bison from the old crappy Street Fighter cartoon and Cranky Doodle Donkey from the new My Little Pony.

Great Tiger (who I loving hate so much and I have many problems fighting him as my first brick wall of the game) is voiced by a guy called Sumit Seru who does speak actual Punjab for him.

And finally Don Flamenco is voiced by a very prolific Spanish VA called Juan Amador Pulido who voice-dubs for Family Guy and Sonic X as Shadow the Hedgehog amongst other shows in Spanish. I love this game's voicework so drat much.

I genuinely can't wait for you to get to Aran Ryan, he is my loving favourite :allears: finally someone who has my name and is loving awesome.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 11, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Doc Louis actually can be helpful! He's helpful if you're getting your rear end handed to you though and if you are, he'll offer tips on how to turn the fights in your favor, but since Yoshi's absolutely curbstomping everybody, Doc has no reason to be redundant and just does his own thing. :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I see "Aran Ryan" and I can't help but see "Aryan". :( I was almost expecting him to be German (as if).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I see "Aran Ryan" and I can't help but see "Aryan". :( I was almost expecting him to be German (as if).

Not knowing this game, I am trying to figure out what the deal is with the character. I don't see anything particularly interesting about him or anything....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Samizdata posted:

Not knowing this game, I am trying to figure out what the deal is with the character. I don't see anything particularly interesting about him or anything....

He originated in the SNES Super Punch-Out!!, which meant all his personality had to come from the Wii version. He's Irish. That's all we know about him at this point.

• Locked thread