Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

They canned our order entry lady, and since you enter orders on the computer, IT is picking the slack up while they find a replacement. Joy. Actually, the helpdesk guy that's doing it has worked in a few different departments so he's one of the only people in the company that could cover for this job anyway...

Today they brought a person in to interview, and then they wanted an open computer she could use to take some typing test online?

Here's my low-cost typing test. Ask the person to turn the computer on and open Microsoft Word (let's make sure they aren't a total moron) and then slam a magazine down on the table. TYPE THE ARTICLE

I'm going to be able to tell in about 10 seconds whether this person can type or not. It's going to be really, really obvious. But instead you want to pay $9.95 to some random company so they can say "You got 37wpm and made 2 errors. Yay."

But, there's quite a few free ones online. Why pay for an online test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TWBalls posted:

http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TWBalls posted:

It's through the same place that does Word/Excel aptitude tests an all kind of other random poo poo. You have a record for that person blah blah

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Just got done with my first day at my new job as an IT lead tech/manager and it was great. Got the first Linux server going, got Spiceworks going, getting everybody on the internal documentation wiki. I came into absolutely no documentation whatsoever; no idea what servers do what, no idea who has what software, don't know what any software keys are. My predecessor kept everything secret from the people he worked with. I'm going to get a lot of experience in the first month or two and I smell a trip to every computer in IT's future. I'd use Spiceworks, but most of the computers are apparently missing the accounts I know about, and others need to be setup to allow Spiceworks to grab WMI information. We'll be going to Active Directory at some point so live inventory will be fixed.

The imaging software they are using starts with an M (not MDT), it's some free software that is designed to take a single snapshot of a computer and reimage the same computer. MDT and a crash course in setting up a PXE server on Linux here I come. I suppose I could just boot off a USB stick if I had to though.

I hope to be one of those people that come back a month later saying how everything is fixed.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 14, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The VP of HR just pulled me aside and said that because of all my hard work during our HQ move (back in Dec/Jan) I'm getting a $1500 bonus.

:psyduck:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Good luck! Having gone through almost exactly the same process at a past job, it's both a complete bitch and totally worth it. That day when you finally make the transition from "nothing is centrally managed, every PC is a special loving snowflake that I have to walk across the building to control/fix" to a consistent machine build managed by AD and GPO is glorious.

Bonus points if you can pry local admin rights away from your users ahahahahahaha

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Yaos posted:

Just got done with my first day at my new job as an IT lead tech/manager and it was great. Got the first Linux server going

One day and now you can never leave or take a day off ;) I took over a similar role recently for a 700 user building. Complexity is your enemy in little departments, and documentation cannot teach a tech how to use a cli. What happens when you leave?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Yaos posted:

Just got done with my first day at my new job as an IT lead tech/manager and it was great. Got the first Linux server going, got Spiceworks going, getting everybody on the internal documentation wiki. I came into absolutely no documentation whatsoever; no idea what servers do what, no idea who has what software, don't know what any software keys are. My predecessor kept everything secret from the people he worked with. I'm going to get a lot of experience in the first month or two and I smell a trip to every computer in IT's future. I'd use Spiceworks, but most of the computers are apparently missing the accounts I know about, and others need to be setup to allow Spiceworks to grab WMI information. We'll be going to Active Directory at some point so live inventory will be fixed.

The imaging software they are using starts with an M (not MDT), it's some free software that is designed to take a single snapshot of a computer and reimage the same computer. MDT and a crash course in setting up a PXE server on Linux here I come. I suppose I could just boot off a USB stick if I had to though.

I hope to be one of those people that come back a month later saying how everything is fixed.
Just be aware that every one of these things is something that makes your life easier and none of them is a deliverable for the business. You'll sound much better if you come to them in a month being able to talk about how much money you're saving them instead of how much money they need to spend on licensing compliance.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Docjowles posted:

Bonus points if you can pry local admin rights away from your users ahahahahahaha
I recently discovered that the key to this is to buy the company and dictate change from another location. I don't know you, I don't care, no one is local admin under any circumstances, deal with it, no there will not be exceptions.

Yeah our users looooved that. :smith:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What would be a better design for an assessment for Office applications targeted towards entry level, partially technical interviewees...something along the lines of data entry. A list of instructions, or a PDF of the desired result with some notes for clarification? The idea is to give them one or the other along with a blank document and 20 or so minutes (on an internet connected laptop, not trying to stump anyone).

Basic Office nonsense is amazingly not as common of a skill as you might expect, even if it is on everybody's resume. Even among relatively recent college graduates.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What would be a better design for an assessment for Office applications targeted towards entry level, partially technical interviewees...something along the lines of data entry. A list of instructions, or a PDF of the desired result with some notes for clarification? The idea is to give them one or the other along with a blank document and 20 or so minutes (on an internet connected laptop, not trying to stump anyone).

Basic Office nonsense is amazingly not as common of a skill as you might expect, even if it is on everybody's resume. Even among relatively recent college graduates.

I would say the pdf of the desired result. That's more likely going to be similar to what will happen on a regular work day, plus it will let you see how they think.

Or even an ask, such as "we need a flyer for a fund raiser your branch is doing. The details are as follows" and get as technical as you want.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you can mail merge then you have more MS Office skill than our entire secretary union combined. I assume anyone "good with Excel" at entry level is either naive or full of poo poo unless they can give a specific example of what they used it for.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Roargasm posted:

If you can mail merge then you have more MS Office skill than our entire secretary union combined. I assume anyone "good with Excel" at entry level is either naive or full of poo poo unless they can give a specific example of what they used it for.

Unless they use Raiser's Edge in which case it will do mail merges for you. Also it will popunder SQL warnings that Microsoft strongly advises you to not disable but if you ignore them or let them go too long it breaks the merge so if you MUST here's the registry key.

But yeah it seems like no one really gets tested on their ability to use Office despite how much of their job depends on it. You get one or two power users who kind of know what they're doing and the amount of hell that breaks loose if they ever leave is measured in the "shitloads" scale.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Has anyone aside from major enterprise corporations been able to do this? Every single SMB I go to always has some dumb legacy application that refuses to run without local admin :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The only users in my company with local admin are three or four special snowflakes that demanded it that I was unable to deny. Everyone else is a regular user. One of my few victories here.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Misogynist posted:

Just be aware that every one of these things is something that makes your life easier and none of them is a deliverable for the business. You'll sound much better if you come to them in a month being able to talk about how much money you're saving them instead of how much money they need to spend on licensing compliance.
I'll keep that in mind. I've got a lot to learn in my position, and not a lot of time to do it. I'm actually lucky on Active Directory. We access CJIS data (we're a Sheriff Office) and the rules are changing pretty soon on how it can be accessed. We're implementing two factor authentication through finger print scanners that authenticate against AD. This was decided on about a year ago so it's like a present was dropped in my lap. I got to test out the scanners last year in my old job and they work great and were really easy to use and implement so that's always nice.

I'm also really lucky the network admin from where I was working also helped IT where I'm at now so I can bug him about any documentation he may have.

Biggest pain will be getting everything documented so I can get myself up to speed and know where we stand on everything.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 15, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone aside from major enterprise corporations been able to do this? Every single SMB I go to always has some dumb legacy application that refuses to run without local admin :argh:

I've found that most of our old software will run just fine if the folder has modify permissions to it for Power Users. There's been a few where I think you had to allow writes to their registry keys as well.

Unfortunately for me, there is one piece of software that some of the C-levels use that seems to require admin privs. I'm sure I can figure out how to get it to work, but I've got enough going on that I haven't gotten a chance to figure it out yet.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

When I got my job on helpdesk, I was told that there are tons of programs that need local admin rights to run and to just give access if a problem occurs.

I've found ways to get them all to work with only minimal permissions like giving read/write to certain folders, or in one case read/write to a file that gets put into c:\windows\ because that's a great place to put random files.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Comradephate posted:

Depends on what you need it to do.

if you need RBAC or sensible hierarchical organization, then MW is still a non-starter. If MW is currently serving your needs adequately, there's probably no compelling reason to cough up for Confluence and learn a new set of idiosyncrasies.

My last 3 jobs have used Confluence (as does goonfleet :haw:) and it can be really nice, but it has its issues just like everything else. For every thing you hate about MediaWiki, Confluence will probably have something else that is just as confusing or frustrating.

If you want RBAC with an open sores wiki, TWiki might help. Confluence looks pretty rad, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

swampcow posted:

If you want RBAC with an open sores wiki, TWiki might help. Confluence looks pretty rad, though.
TWiki forked to Foswiki back around 2008 and it's generally a better option.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

The school district I work for is taking the opportunity of our upcoming migration to Windows 7 (don't get me started on that) to take away local admin from our users. Supposedly we're going be using a program called Avecto to handle admin access when it's needed. Despite the fact that the team I'm on is supposed to be getting it off the ground, we haven't seen it yet. I'm looking forward to watching that project fail spectacularly.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Migrated from TWiki to Confluence a while ago; it's OK. Confluence's search is mediocre and the WYSIWYG-only editor is annoying, but it isn't bad overall.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Trauma posted:

The VP of HR just pulled me aside and said that because of all my hard work during our HQ move (back in Dec/Jan) I'm getting a $1500 bonus.

This seems to have been skipped over, but :psyduck:

You actually had a reward other than a half hearted "good job?". What manner of strange company do you work for? Has anyone there been possessed lately?

The Omega Geek
Dec 19, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

We actually had a developer write a fairly hacky tool to let us run the one program we have that requires admin without handing over local admin rights. Luckily that piece of software is getting updated soon and hypothetically will no longer need admin rights at all.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

dogstile posted:

You actually had a reward other than a half hearted "good job?". What manner of strange company do you work for? Has anyone there been possessed lately?

Based on the last couple of months posts, "A schizophrenic one" would be a good description.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dick Trauma posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure they're gaslighting you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

President Ark posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure they're gaslighting you.

My current boss no poo poo does this for real. Dude is a complete sociopath and we think he may also have Disorganized Schizophrenic Personality Disorder.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I have a list of 100~ locations that are spread out across the globe that I need to get these special site location codes for. We found ~60 of them in this other spreadsheet that supposedly has all site codes that exist in the company, but of course we don't have enough information to find the other 40. I am now emailing and sametiming the out of date contacts to try to get to the bottom of this.

Good thing I have an audiobook to listen to. Going to need some extra coffee today.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Best game ever.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

This seems to have been skipped over, but :psyduck:

I'd be spending that bonus on treatment for my whiplash.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AlternateAccount posted:

Knowing when to use AutoIt and it's incredibly powerful capabilities is most definitely a skill.

I thought we had an AutoIT thread around these parts a while ago. Do you have a good reference for it outside their website?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hughmoris posted:

I thought we had an AutoIT thread around these parts a while ago. Do you have a good reference for it outside their website?

Not really. Normally when I need to do something I just beat my face against the command help long enough to figure out what I am trying to do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I replaced our AutoIT scripts with Powershell a while ago, Powershell absolutely rules.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

I'd be spending that bonus on treatment for my whiplash.

Turned out to actually be $1900 gross.

I performed so well in Dec/Jan that in April I needed to shape up or ship out so that in June I could be almost terminated so that in July I could be rewarded.

:froggonk:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Dick Trauma posted:

Turned out to actually be $1900 gross.

I performed so well in Dec/Jan that in April I needed to shape up or ship out so that in June I could be almost terminated so that in July I could be rewarded.

:froggonk:

You work for a sociopath.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Does Lenovo do dedicated reps like Dell? I ordered a laptop for a new hire and the estimated ship time gave me plenty of time to receive it and set it up, however it's now been delayed twice. The new hire started today and the thing is now set to ship 8 days from now, and they keep telling me it's on me to pay for upgraded shipping on my own by calling UPS once it ships.

I wanted to try Lenovo because their business Ultrabooks look a little nicer, but this wouldn't happen with a Dell rep. I'd either get something else instead, or they'd at least upgrade me to overnight shipping. The problem is that we are small enough that no one at Lenovo seems to care. We don't buy laptops or desktops more than a few a year, so I'm not sure I'll get any help on this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you don't order enough Dell is going to ship you around from rep to rep anyway

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Erwin posted:

Does Lenovo do dedicated reps like Dell? I ordered a laptop for a new hire and the estimated ship time gave me plenty of time to receive it and set it up, however it's now been delayed twice. The new hire started today and the thing is now set to ship 8 days from now, and they keep telling me it's on me to pay for upgraded shipping on my own by calling UPS once it ships.

I wanted to try Lenovo because their business Ultrabooks look a little nicer, but this wouldn't happen with a Dell rep. I'd either get something else instead, or they'd at least upgrade me to overnight shipping. The problem is that we are small enough that no one at Lenovo seems to care. We don't buy laptops or desktops more than a few a year, so I'm not sure I'll get any help on this.

Do you go through any retailers like CDW? We get our Lenovo equipment through them and our CDW rep does a great job with any problems that may arise. Plus we order so much other equipment and software from them that even if we dont order a ton of Lenovo stuff it's still worth it to them to make sure we are treated well. Seems similar to Dell though, if you have a poo poo rep your going to have some problems.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been in my first tier-2 job (networking/systems admin) for most of a year now, the pay is great, and I've been learning stuff so much it's crazy.

BUT! There's an hour drive to and from every day, I have to go out of state one week a month, 90% of my time is spent watching the tier-1 ticket queue to "help out when I can" ( :rolleyes: ), my office is no less than 50 feet from the next human being, the rest of my team is in another state, the only other "tech" person here is terrible at computers and is only the "tech" person because she was told she would be. And that's not even going into the problems with the systems/networks here! Everything was set up by no less than 10 different contractors over the years, and is horrible cobbled together.

Moral of the story - I guess everyone has to take a poo poo job at some point, at least now I know what to look for and ask about in the next interview process :unsmith:

But hey there are a poo poo ton of jobs in the Charlotte NC area, I'm hella qualified, and I have two phone interviews tomorrow!

(But on that note if anyone knows of jobs in the Charlotte area let me know)

Phew. Working in IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy crap, what a bunch of schizophrenics.

• Locked thread