Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Mario and Luigi Dream Team: Other then the graphics it's brought down by not being Wario and Waluigi Dream Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Bioshock Infinite had really fun combat. In the last 2-3 hours when I finally had all of the vigors and enough upgrades to get a cool build going.

Also, the whole time it had the slave revolt going on, all I could think about was how these people were literally only villains because the game said they were.

I didn't hate like some of you guys, but I didn't love it as much as the critics either. I guess you could say my opinion... is somewhere in the middle!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Walton Simons posted:

Civilization V
You ask a friendly civ what they want for a luxury resource. They want 4 of your resources, a couple of strategic resources, open borders, 50 gold and 5 gold per turn.

You offer 5 gold per turn and two resources.

'That is not even close to a fair deal'.

It's an outrageously loving generous deal, you absolute dicksplash!
I found exactly this last time I played, but counterbalanced by the fact that when they wanted one of my luxury resources they'd offer me stupid amounts for it. I don't even know why they constantly wanted silver and gold, but I had tons and was happy to trade all of it away for the ludicrous amounts of gold (money gold, that is) and resources they'd offer me.

I must have missed some tutorial message or something about what luxury resources are for, and I never managed to work it out, other than that sometimes one of your cities (or a city state) would go "we want silk" or whatever, and if you get it then they're happy. But you only need to have it for one turn, and the AI civs seemed to want gold and silver permanently.

Also, how dumb is it that money is called "gold" but there's also a luxury resource that's gold? Don't use the same word for two entirely separate things. And it doesn't make sense that everyone is using gold as a currency when one nation controls the entire world's supply.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tiggum posted:

Also, how dumb is it that money is called "gold" but there's also a luxury resource that's gold? Don't use the same word for two entirely separate things. And it doesn't make sense that everyone is using gold as a currency when one nation controls the entire world's supply.

That's probably because Civ has always referred to money as gold long before luxury resources were a thing, and what else are you going to call a generic unit of money that any nation can have? "Gold" is generic video game speak for money.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

RyokoTK posted:

That's probably because Civ has always referred to money as gold long before luxury resources were a thing, and what else are you going to call a generic unit of money that any nation can have? "Gold" is generic video game speak for money.

I require 5 Gilmunnyboondollars per monthtimeunitcentury or else I'll wage war on you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tiggum posted:

I found exactly this last time I played, but counterbalanced by the fact that when they wanted one of my luxury resources they'd offer me stupid amounts for it. I don't even know why they constantly wanted silver and gold, but I had tons and was happy to trade all of it away for the ludicrous amounts of gold (money gold, that is) and resources they'd offer me.

I must have missed some tutorial message or something about what luxury resources are for, and I never managed to work it out, other than that sometimes one of your cities (or a city state) would go "we want silk" or whatever, and if you get it then they're happy. But you only need to have it for one turn, and the AI civs seemed to want gold and silver permanently.

Luxury resources provide global happiness. +4 for every unique resource you have. Mouse over the smile/frown at the top of the GUI to see the breakdown.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team: Other then the graphics it's brought down by not being Wario and Waluigi Dream Team.

Waluigi only shows up for sports games and stuff. Unfortunately.
Also agreeing with the graphics thing - I've only played the demo, and I was pretty disappointed with them, especially compared with the previous 3.

Also didn't really appreciate what they did with badges in Inside Story.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I just jumped in Saints Row IV and started falling from 250 thousand meters in the air, which I assume is the maximum height. And now I'm just screwing around, waiting, wishing I had that Death From Above, but I don't. This...This is going to take a while. Here's hoping this isn't a recurring thing, like next time I jump, or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

Just have each nation call it its own name, but make them all equivalent. France's money can be francs, Greece's can be drachmas or whatever. Or just call it "wealth" or something.

Taerkar posted:

Luxury resources provide global happiness. +4 for every unique resource you have. Mouse over the smile/frown at the top of the GUI to see the breakdown.
Ah, that explains why I didn't notice it. I always seem to have happiness way higher than I could possibly need so I never really looked into what affects it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Planescape:Torment: The story is really fun and I really love the dialogue. Its a blast!

But...the combat....the combat. I think I may be under leveled because every time I go into these goddam sewers everything just beats my rear end. I have to run past everything to even advance the story. Wererats that require +1 items to hit, yet I haven't even seen a +1 item the entire time! I feel like the pacing could have been set a bit better if I'm going to have my team die the entire time I go into a new area.

Otherwise lovin' the game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jastiger posted:

Planescape:Torment: The story is really fun and I really love the dialogue. Its a blast!

But...the combat....the combat. I think I may be under leveled because every time I go into these goddam sewers everything just beats my rear end. I have to run past everything to even advance the story. Wererats that require +1 items to hit, yet I haven't even seen a +1 item the entire time! I feel like the pacing could have been set a bit better if I'm going to have my team die the entire time I go into a new area.

Otherwise lovin' the game.

Are you on easy difficulty level? There is no reason not to be on easy.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

They did their best with it, considering they were working off of someone else's game, but goddamn do I hate the way enemies turn into bottomless buckets of HP in the late game of Fallout: New Vegas. It's most noticeable in some of the DLC areas but even in the main game you go from feeling terrified of being ambushed by Legion patrols to feeling like a badass when you headshot them (and make all their arms and legs fly off their body somehow) to feeling bored out of your mind as you empty another seven shots directly into their face to bring one guy down. I understand why they feel like they need to do level scaling but there has to be a better way to achieve it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

gohuskies posted:

Are you on easy difficulty level? There is no reason not to be on easy.
There's also absolutely no shame in just cheating your way through the combat. I didn't, but man the later levels are just a slog even on Easy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am on default. I guess I hadn't thought of that.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
To be honest, Torment would be a better game if it had no combat. In general, I wish RPGs would place less emphasis in combat. It always felt absurd to me the amount of people you kill in open world rpgs such as Fallout 3 and Skyrim. To me combat should be a last resort in these types of games and there should be more emphasis on non-combat solutions to problems.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah but video games are usually very spatial in their mechanics, and designing non-spatial conflicts and resolutions relative to good old fashioned spatial combat is really hard. Factor in how much more marketable, visually engaging, and presentable spatial conflicts are and it's kind-of a no brainer why developers go for combat so often in games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Power_of_the_glory posted:

To be honest, Torment would be a better game if it had no combat. In general, I wish RPGs would place less emphasis in combat. It always felt absurd to me the amount of people you kill in open world rpgs such as Fallout 3 and Skyrim. To me combat should be a last resort in these types of games and there should be more emphasis on non-combat solutions to problems.

The problem with Torment is that it used AD&D 2nd Edition, which is really not designed for the kind of character the Nameless One is.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Twitch posted:

Also, the whole time it had the slave revolt going on, all I could think about was how these people were literally only villains because the game said they were.

It's funny really, they didn't even include the standard Shootmans Game War Crime Scenes.

I mean, the revolt does what that's terrible enough to change our minds, other than Daisy? They break into a lobby and wreck up the place? They riot in a rich neighbourhood right after the game makes a setpiece of the civilians being safely evacuated?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but video games are usually very spatial in their mechanics, and designing non-spatial conflicts and resolutions relative to good old fashioned spatial combat is really hard. Factor in how much more marketable, visually engaging, and presentable spatial conflicts are and it's kind-of a no brainer why developers go for combat so often in games.

Yeah for real. Plus that kind of content emerges from the parameters of the game, but narrative content (dialogue, cutscenes, scenarios) has to be created by hand for all possible permutations and set in stone before the player ever gets there. I guess Dwarf Fortress procedurally generates its story but you couldn't do the same thing with every conversation voiced and everything presented cinematically.

The amount of people you kill in those games does seem ridiculous. The thing is, they do offer other solutions a lot of times, but you naturally learn that fighting is usually the best way, because a) the only interaction that will always be available and viable, with any and every NPC, is killing them, and b) there's no NPC so dangerous that you can't get strong enough to kill them easily

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Strategic Tea posted:

It's funny really, they didn't even include the standard Shootmans Game War Crime Scenes.

I mean, the revolt does what that's terrible enough to change our minds, other than Daisy? They break into a lobby and wreck up the place? They riot in a rich neighbourhood right after the game makes a setpiece of the civilians being safely evacuated?

They don't change Booker's mind. Booker was a Pinkerton man. He only cared so far as they could help him accomplish his job and when they went to a dimension where it was implied (if not outright stated, my memory is sorta fuzzy) that Daisy had killed Booker to make a martyr, well, now they were in his way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anatharon posted:

That game was just incredibly tedious, especially the Dream World gimmick.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

They did their best with it, considering they were working off of someone else's game, but goddamn do I hate the way enemies turn into bottomless buckets of HP in the late game of Fallout: New Vegas. It's most noticeable in some of the DLC areas but even in the main game you go from feeling terrified of being ambushed by Legion patrols to feeling like a badass when you headshot them (and make all their arms and legs fly off their body somehow) to feeling bored out of your mind as you empty another seven shots directly into their face to bring one guy down. I understand why they feel like they need to do level scaling but there has to be a better way to achieve it.

I appreciate that they put in a perk (Logan's Loophole) that locks your max level at 30, which keeps the bullet-spongeyness to the enemies that're supposed to be.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sticker Star and Dream Team have me a little concerned for the Mario RPGs. Super Paper Mario and Partners in Time weren't as good as Paper Mario 1/2 and Superstar Saga/Bowser's Inside story, but I'm wondering if Nintendo will just decide that welp nobody wants these anymore! Stop making them.

Castlevania games: Side modes are so :effort:. Albus mode in Order of Ecclesia removes all the story, sidequests and such but enemies still talk to you like you're Shanoa. Though Albus does get one line I guess. Showtime. :smug: *crushes crab with elevator*.

I hope we get another good Castlevania game even if IGA isn't at Konami anymore. :(

NorgLyle posted:

New Vegas is ridiculously easy. I'm still using something early like That Gun and no human enemies can do anything to me. Cazadores oneshot me before I can see them though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Castlevania games: Side modes are so :effort:. Albus mode in Order of Ecclesia removes all the story, sidequests and such but enemies still talk to you like you're Shanoa. Though Albus does get one line I guess. Showtime. :smug: *crushes crab with elevator*.

I hope we get another good Castlevania game even if IGA isn't at Konami anymore. :(

Portrait of Ruin has two of those modes, one of them is pretty much a prequel to the game where you play as the sisters. The game play is actually different but...its really loving simple. You fly around and tap things and draw lines on the screen while you float around.
They don't even have a walking animation.

Also, yeah. I hope we get a Castlevania game that isn't LOS. I've only played Mirror of Fate and its pretty much kept me away from the other two games. I admire when games like to change it up a bit but they did less changing, and more gutting everything for le simple God of War mechanics and steam punk.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Anatharon posted:

New Vegas is ridiculously easy. I'm still using something early like That Gun and no human enemies can do anything to me. Cazadores oneshot me before I can see them though.

The JSawyer mod is great because it does tons of little tweaks that make the game a little more difficult without breaking it wide open or radically changing everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seconding the JSawyer mod for F:NV. That poo poo makes it pretty great. After a while, you'll end up being strong enough that you beat enemies by just standing in front of them and trading shots. Even deathclaws. Jsawyer mod fixes that by basically making everyone more fragile, so you end up strafing, or using cover, and things like that. After a while, you'll get "good" enough that you can take on anything with a 9mm.

RPGs do that thing where they make the endgame armor the only viable option, or so much stronger than anything else that it becomes stupid to not use it. A lot of games let you transmog endgame items to keep the look of lower-level gear (like in GW2 or WoW), or you can upgrade armor to hit an armor cap like in Skyrim but otherwise mods are a must.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its cool how obtuse the combat system in W101 is.

Its cool how it doesn't tell me that I need 100 members to make unite build work, even though the thing I'm fighting has 0 health(but he can still spit out allies.)

Its cool that even if I do have 100 units, unite build is so finicky it might not even work then.

Its cool how so much important data is hidden behind menus.

Its cool how I need to buy the block AND the dodge move.

Most of all? I love when I'm doing the proper unite build motion and it refuses to work, love that so much. :thumbsup:

The more I play W101, the more I understand why it was so poorly received, I tend to enjoy Platinum games quite a bit but this game is something else in just how little data it gives to the player.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I got The Last Remnant on steam during the summer sale. I figured it'd be a jrpg along the line of final fantasy. Well it's a jrpg, but the combat is really weird. Instead of selecting commands for your characters like attack, magic, item, etc. you group your characters into units and send orders for the units. I'm sure I'm doing everything half-assed but I've been getting some progression in.

The thing dragging the game down are the dumb rear end rare monsters. In the middle of a dungeon, sometimes a rare creature will spawn. If you engage it at the level the dungeon is, you will just get wrecked, easily. They have like 20 times the HP, do tons of aoe effects, and are really loving strong. Now I can understand having your rare creatures be stronger, but what the gently caress is the point of putting them in a dungeon 20 levels before you can fight them?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

kazil posted:

The thing dragging the game down are the dumb rear end rare monsters. In the middle of a dungeon, sometimes a rare creature will spawn. If you engage it at the level the dungeon is, you will just get wrecked, easily. They have like 20 times the HP, do tons of aoe effects, and are really loving strong. Now I can understand having your rare creatures be stronger, but what the gently caress is the point of putting them in a dungeon 20 levels before you can fight them?

F.O.E.
F!O!E!

Mini-bosses like that are a staple of the Etrian Odyssey series. In those games they exist to keep you on your toes, challenge you to defeat them through skill... or to just come back at a later time when the odds are more equal.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mierenneuker posted:

F.O.E.
F!O!E!

Mini-bosses like that are a staple of the Etrian Odyssey series. In those games they exist to keep you on your toes, challenge you to defeat them through skill... or to just come back at a later time when the odds are more equal.

In Etrian Odyssey, though, FOEs aren't meant to be encountered at all until you're a few floors beyond. They're simply a mobile puzzle that you have to avoid - some are pretty simple, some involve planning. Then you come back to murder them, get their bits, and get some good equipment/money off of them.

Sounds like the enemies in LR are just random encounters that are an impossible pain in the rear end.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

Its cool how obtuse the combat system in W101 is.

Its cool how it doesn't tell me that I need 100 members to make unite build work, even though the thing I'm fighting has 0 health(but he can still spit out allies.)

Its cool that even if I do have 100 units, unite build is so finicky it might not even work then.

Its cool how so much important data is hidden behind menus.

Its cool how I need to buy the block AND the dodge move.

Most of all? I love when I'm doing the proper unite build motion and it refuses to work, love that so much. :thumbsup:

The more I play W101, the more I understand why it was so poorly received, I tend to enjoy Platinum games quite a bit but this game is something else in just how little data it gives to the player.

It's cool how Wonder Pink's entire character is flashing her panties at you, using a whip, being :airquote:18:airquote:, and being emotionally unstable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EVE Online the fact that after 10 years of more or less floundering as a business, the executives have not changed save for one time. Icelandic nepotism also is a ~thing~ which has driven the decent devs away.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's cool how Wonder Pink's entire character is flashing her panties at you, using a whip, being :airquote:18:airquote:, and being emotionally unstable.

Women, amirite? :smug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Her main defining feature is her anger towards things that annoy her, of which there are a lot of. For the most part though, it's somewhat entertaining. The fanservicy bits literally don't exist past her introduction.

Please don't read this next part if you haven't finished the game.

What annoys me about her, and Red too, somewhat, is how they both bend over backwards for Luka when he's kind of an unruly brat who does jack poo poo to help their cause and even nearly dooms it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is annoying, awful characters called Luka just a game-dragging-down running joke for Platinum?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No, just a shoe-horned kid character being annoying as gently caress. Same with the shoot em up sections.

I wish Kamiya would just make a shmup and get it out of his system.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

There's also absolutely no shame in just cheating your way through the combat. I didn't, but man the later levels are just a slog even on Easy.

Really the epitome of this in all of Torment is Curst Prison :gonk:. gently caress that place.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

Really the epitome of this in all of Torment is Curst Prison :gonk:. gently caress that place.

I"m stuck in the Modron Maze. This is really freaking stupid. Who thought this was a good idea?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I"m stuck in the Modron Maze. This is really freaking stupid. Who thought this was a good idea?

That's optional I thought? Just look up how to get through it

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

That's optional I thought? Just look up how to get through it

I did. Its essentially either kill enemies that two shot you or keep grinding on trivial enemies and hope they drop an item that lets you leave. I just want to get out and continue the story.

Furthermore, another problem with PS:T is that you have required quest information hidden 3 levels deep in a dialogue menu. I end up running around lost and stumped until I ask just the right question to that one vague NPC in one closet in the city. Its stupid and making me not want to play this supposed classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I did. Its essentially either kill enemies that two shot you or keep grinding on trivial enemies and hope they drop an item that lets you leave. I just want to get out and continue the story.

Furthermore, another problem with PS:T is that you have required quest information hidden 3 levels deep in a dialogue menu. I end up running around lost and stumped until I ask just the right question to that one vague NPC in one closet in the city. Its stupid and making me not want to play this supposed classic.

Save your game more :smaug:

If you're in the cube you're pretty close to the end? Actually wait that's the cube you can figure out the puzzle and get screwed over isn't it? Ahaha yeah save more.