Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I'm still waiting for a game where you get to play the campaign as Barry Burton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I'm still waiting for a game where you get to play the campaign as Barry Burton.

"Mash A to suggest you split up!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

You only have six bullets, but they're really good bullets.

Black August posted:

There's also the fact that Chris and Jill have been exposed to so many different viruses and bitten/stabbed/chewed/slapped by so many horrors, that their bodies may as well BE Tyrant level superhumans. Seriously, I don't think even two hands is enough to tally up the number of viruses those two have suffered secondary exposure to. If one of them died they'd probably explode into a Lovecraft-level endboss.

Chris: T-Virus. That's about it. He's not in Liansheng when the C-Virus is released and the Plagas in RE5 still require direct implantation, so just being around one isn't enough for infection.

Jill: T-Virus, whatever T-Virus offshoot the Nemesis hit her with in RE3, and the T-Abyss, which she vaccinated herself against. Honorable mention for the P90 superdrug. She's also got some kind of Cadillac immune system.

Leon: T-Virus, whatever side effects you get from having an incinerated Plaga floating around in your bloodstream, drat close to C-Virus.

Claire: T-Virus.

There's also a conventionally available T-Virus vaccine, which at least Claire takes onscreen at one point in the Degeneration movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

Especially against living things.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Especially against living things.

Actually, that was referring to the grenade launcher's acid rounds. :eng101:

Didn't Jill get some kind of vaccine for the T-virus during RE3 too?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

Didn't Jill get some kind of vaccine for the T-virus during RE3 too?

No one's quite sure what she got. Carlos gave it to her and she got better, which is good, because it had a better than even chance of being grape Kool-Aid in a test tube.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Wanderer posted:

Chris: T-Virus. That's about it. He's not in Liansheng when the C-Virus is released and the Plagas in RE5 still require direct implantation, so just being around one isn't enough for infection.

Jill: T-Virus, whatever T-Virus offshoot the Nemesis hit her with in RE3, and the T-Abyss, which she vaccinated herself against. Honorable mention for the P90 superdrug. She's also got some kind of Cadillac immune system.

Leon: T-Virus, whatever side effects you get from having an incinerated Plaga floating around in your bloodstream, drat close to C-Virus.

Claire: T-Virus.

There's also a conventionally available T-Virus vaccine, which at least Claire takes onscreen at one point in the Degeneration movie.

Was I the only one disappointed that Sherry didn't have a few abilities from her G-Virus infection? I mean, besides that cutscene healing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I guess Ada hasn't either.

Didn't Ada and Krauser have to get plagas in order to earn Saddler's trust? (and Ada somehow just removed it later?)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Didn't Ada and Krauser have to get plagas in order to earn Saddler's trust? (and Ada somehow just removed it later?)

A lot of people seem to think that, but it's not how the plot works out.

RE4 goes out of its way to mention that being infected with a plaga also causes a human to become psychotic. If Krauser had been infected, he wouldn't have his free will anymore and trust wouldn't be an issue, but he also wouldn't be anywhere near as useful to Saddler.

Saddler hires Krauser, who's posing as a mercenary, to kidnap Ashley. Krauser goes through with it because he's actually working for Wesker, and his goal is to steal a sample of the master plaga, which is what Salazar and Saddler use to control the Ganados. (He also says to Leon that, if Leon hadn't shown up, Krauser was going to gently caress Saddler's plans up on his way out the door.)

Saddler doesn't give Krauser the chance to steal the sample, however, so Krauser's forced to call for backup. That's Ada, who shows up on the scene and, instead of employing any kind of cover identity with the cult, befriends Luis. That's how she learns so much about the parasite, and it's also why Luis goes back to secure a sample of the master plaga. Luis thinks Ada's some unspecified government agent who's specifically there to destroy the cult.

Ada eventually decides to leak news of Ashley's location to the American government. Her plan, as she mentions at one point in the Separate Ways minigame, is to wait until the Americans show up and use them as a distraction, and if they manage to take down the cult in the process, that's a bonus. What she isn't expecting is that the Americans A) only send one guy and B) it's Leon. (Remember, he's just in the village at the start of the game to chase down an anonymous tip, not invade the place.) Since he's Leon, however, Ada decides it's good enough to be getting on with.

TerryLennox posted:

Was I the only one disappointed that Sherry didn't have a few abilities from her G-Virus infection? I mean, besides that cutscene healing.

I was expecting her to have some kind of rapid stamina regeneration, yeah.

I'll say one thing, too: the more I think about it, the more it would totally loving suck to acquire a healing factor before you hit puberty. There's some body horror they didn't touch on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

One thing I always wondered was how come the very first Zombie in Resident Evil could take 3 shots from Barry's handcannon to the face but it practically one hit kills everything else in the game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mr. Fortitude posted:

One thing I always wondered was how come the very first Zombie in Resident Evil could take 3 shots from Barry's handcannon to the face but it practically one hit kills everything else in the game.
It could also open doors. What we saw was obviously a beta test of Nemesis.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Most of the S.T.A.R.S. members were killed by that one super-zombie before we got to the mansion. But nothing can stand up to Barry Burton.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Forrest got iced by the birds. What the gently caress, Forrest, I didn't even know those fuckers did damage

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Forrest was mortally wounded inside the mansion, but made it outside to the balcony to die. The birds pecked his corpse before Jill/Chris/Barry found him.
:goonsay:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

Chris canonically has never actually been infected I think. All those bites/monster impairments/whatever are written off as "not actually happened." I think he and Claire are the only regularly reoccurring characters to avoid a virus infection though. Must be the Redfield genes.

Well, I guess Ada hasn't either.
Ada is infected with the Plot virus. It keeps her alive when she is needed and the only side effect is the chronic inability to give people straight answers.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Did I totally imagine this or did one of the games (CODE: Veronica? Or Wesker's Report?) explain that something like only 10% of humans are susceptible to t-virus infection, which is how the player characters can get bitten a billion times without turning?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Akuma posted:

Did I totally imagine this or did one of the games (CODE: Veronica? Or Wesker's Report?) explain that something like only 10% of humans are susceptible to t-virus infection, which is how the player characters can get bitten a billion times without turning?

I thought that was an RE5 thing, where only 10% (or however much) would get Wesker powers from the T-Virus. Everyone else gets zombie'd or turned into spaghetti.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The GIG posted:

Honestly, if there's a new game I half expect Jill to finally turn into an end boss creature from all the poo poo that's happened to her. But instead of going crazy and murdering people, she just shrugs and continues on like nothing is wrong.

She turns into a giant fleshy sandwich.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Akuma posted:

It's in Wesker's Report II. For some reason, while working with the T-Virus, Wesker has noted that roughly 10% of his research subjects are totally immune to the T-Virus for some reason or another, presumably genetic, and extrapolates that to all of humanity.

graboid
Dec 16, 2013

PureRok posted:

Atlus should make one.

Do you want to spend the afternoon with Chris?
(Check Social Link rank)

Now that I think about it, Akihiko and Mitsuru from Persona 3 would fit right in with the RE cast.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

graboid posted:

Do you want to spend the afternoon with Chris?
(Check Social Link rank)

Now that I think about it, Akihiko and Mitsuru from Persona 3 would fit right in with the RE cast.

Skip to 0:35

graboid
Dec 16, 2013

What kind of present will you give Chris?

[Egg]

"Thanks"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was playing RE6 with a buddy who had never played before, on a PS3 instead of my usual PC, and man it's not hard to see why the game got such lackluster reviews when it came out. The controls just don't feel nearly as good, and I'd forgotten a lot of the mechanics and had to rediscover them just because the game refuses to tell you anything useful.

It did lead me to finding out that any playable character can have Jake-levels of stamina regen by just laying down on their back, though. :v: The loading screen tells you to stand still.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Speaking of, apparently when you have to waggle the thumbsticks for a QTE you're supposed to use both of them? If only they did it like every other game and showed both thumbsticks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Geight posted:

I was playing RE6 with a buddy who had never played before, on a PS3 instead of my usual PC, and man it's not hard to see why the game got such lackluster reviews when it came out. The controls just don't feel nearly as good, and I'd forgotten a lot of the mechanics and had to rediscover them just because the game refuses to tell you anything useful.

It did lead me to finding out that any playable character can have Jake-levels of stamina regen by just laying down on their back, though. :v: The loading screen tells you to stand still.

Yeah the control scheme adapts pretty well to PC but as soon as you plug in a controller it begins to fall apart.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah the control scheme adapts pretty well to PC but as soon as you plug in a controller it begins to fall apart.

Really? I thought it controlled really well with a controller. Main problem was the game didn't bother telling you anything about the controls or combat that was actually useful. Plus, even when it tries, it's usually unhelpfully vague. Like with a coup-de-grace, it just tells you that you can do them once enemies are stunned and they'll give you extra time in Mercenaries. Doesn't bother saying that you actually need to stun enemies twice to use one, or even how to properly stun enemies in the first place. I had to look up a few guides online to find out about all the mechanics in the game, and even then I found out a few things that they hadn't mentioned (like clicking the left stick in to roll, for instance). All worth it in the end though, since Mercenaries is incredibly good fun once you can control things well.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, yeah.

There's a Resident Evil Remake "HD Remaster" coming out on everything but Wii U in 2015.

But it looks kinda... bad? I dunno.

The backgrounds are just upscaled from the Gamecube assets with a really terrible sharpening filter.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fereydun posted:

So, yeah.

There's a Resident Evil Remake "HD Remaster" coming out on everything but Wii U in 2015.

But it looks kinda... bad? I dunno.

The backgrounds are just upscaled from the Gamecube assets with a really terrible sharpening filter.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

I don't think it looks bad, but it's hard to judge from those screenshots. The way they handled the switch to 16:9 looks super weird, though. Either way, I'm glad they're at least trying; that's a game that definitely should not be lost to the ravages of time. It's cool that they're putting it out on PC too.

Massaki
Aug 5, 2014

"TWOOOUH FINGGUHHHS TO U SAMOA JOEY" -Kenta, 2016
I'm just excited to blast through it all with some achievements, they're always good in Resident Evil Games.

Those images on the website look like they're using very lossy jpeg images. Probably why it looks like poo poo.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it looks bad, but it's hard to judge from those screenshots. The way they handled the switch to 16:9 looks super weird, though. Either way, I'm glad they're at least trying; that's a game that definitely should not be lost to the ravages of time. It's cool that they're putting it out on PC too.

Yeah, their solution to widescreen is really weird, isn't this what movies used to do? Pan and scan or something like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Azubah posted:

Yeah, their solution to widescreen is really weird, isn't this what movies used to do? Pan and scan or something like that.

Yeah, looks like it. But now I'm thinking back and didn't the original RE or RE 2 have a few sections where the screen would pan up or down as you moved across it?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, looks like it. But now I'm thinking back and didn't the original RE or RE 2 have a few sections where the screen would pan up or down as you moved across it?

Yup.

The stair scene they are mentioning is one of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Fereydun posted:

The backgrounds are actual real time 3d this time, if I'm reading the website right. This is great for the PC version, since you can upscale it forever and it won't look awful like the pre-rendered backgrounds do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also I didn't notice it until now, but it says they're giving you the option of turning off the loving tank controls???

Elliotw2 posted:

The backgrounds are actual real time 3d this time, if I'm reading the website right.

No, they definitely aren't. If that was the case they wouldn't have to do the aspect ratio fuckery.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

See, it says "non-static 3d models" and clarified that the original game used their "video background" technology. They're doing the aspect fuckery because they want to let you use the original camera script and be able to play in 4:3 mode fine. Most of the time when you use 16:9 aspect you have to crop some of the view area out, or you have to zoom the camera out since 4:3 is considerably taller. All of the game maps and scripts are designed around the 4:3 view area and you having to approach corners, and they don't want to completely redo all of that and change the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

See, it says "non-static 3d models" and clarified that the original game used their "video background" technology. They're doing the aspect fuckery because they want to let you use the original camera script and be able to play in 4:3 mode fine. Most of the time when you use 16:9 aspect you have to crop some of the view area out, or you have to zoom the camera out since 4:3 is considerably taller. All of the game maps and scripts are designed around the 4:3 view area and you having to approach corners, and they don't want to completely redo all of that and change the game.

The "non-static 3d models" is referring to the characters/monsters. Redoing the video backgrounds in real-time 3D would basically be like making a whole new game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It specifically says "The environments come alive with detail thanks to resolution upgrades and non-static 3D models." The characters are already non-static 3D, considering that they move and you can extract them and they're not a flat picture.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

It specifically says "The environments come alive with detail thanks to resolution upgrades and non-static 3D models." The characters are already non-static 3D, considering that they move and you can extract them and they're not a flat picture.

It's just vague/confusing writing. They couldn't possibly be recreating the backgrounds in real-time, do you realize how big an investment that would be for what is essentially a port? It's all upscaling and filters, let's not go nuts here.

If they actually did it that way you can be drat sure they'd put up some more impressive screenshots that aren't the size of postage stamps. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to play this, and I bet it'll still look good, but those backgrounds are never going to be natively rendered at 2560x1440.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 5, 2014

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like the scaled the image to 1080p, added a sharpen filter, and then messed around with the contrast settings. I knew it was too much place hope in Capcom still having the master assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

gently caress yeah. Now they need to do the same to RE 2/3 and I can die happy.