Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Squalitude posted:

It's a comment based on a scene in the TV show we all watched? I mean, if that's okay with you.

I just found it really weird that your one comment on the episode (which was really really good) was about whether it's right and proper to eat food in a lab, because people watching will assume that because they saw it on Utopia it was a good idea so they'd all go do it? Or something? I tried to find something less relevant than this to say about that episode but all I could come up with was that both of my house rabbits thumped when the rabbit squealed as it was murdered, so they did a great job with the sound effects) , which it turns out is more relevant than what you said, maybe.

But what do I know maybe the lab food is an integral plot device.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Reminder that there another new episode tomorrow and after this week all new eps will be on tuesdays.

I thought I had a week to wait! :getin:

Sibboleth
Jul 10, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's lazy casting. Sure he does a slimy politco well, that's his bread and butter. One of the few actually good things about the show is its casting director's willingness to go beyond the obvious first choice and find an actor who will be unfamiliar to the intended audience and still deliver the goods. In a show where all the roles I know are filled by people I don't it's jarring to see him doing what he does, from New Tricks to Blackadder.

The first series featured Stephen Rea, James Fox, Geraldine James and Simon McBurny. One of the many good things about the show is the blend of very well known names, new/young talent and random (previously comparatively somewhat) obscure-ish character actors like Neil Maskell or Paul Higgins.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr. Squishy posted:

Am I the only one to see the shadow of Il Divo on that opening shot?

I'm fairly certain they filmed it in the same place, yeah.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought I had a week to wait! :getin:

I think they scheduled it this way partially so it wouldn't look like they were cheating the audience with this episode, which was good but didn't necessarily need to be the premiere or a standalone episode.

Have they said how many episodes Series 2 will be? I haven't seen it anywhere and it'll kinda suck if we only get 5 with the actual cast.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Sibboleth posted:

Channel 4 is supposed to cater to 'non-mainstream' audiences (this is literally the entire justification for its establishment and continued existence), so low ratings are not necessarily the kiss of death that they tend to be for programmes on the BBC or (especially) ITV. Utopia's ratings were low, but a high proportion were from 'demographics' that typically don't watch much TV drama.

True, but Channel 4 is not the Channel 4 it used to be.

Also, Utopia manages to make West Lancashire look nice. This is a strange thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Irisi posted:

Oh my, using the very real Airey Neave in a fictional drama like this is in...questionable taste. The rest is fine, it's a story, but Neaves' death was real, not the result of some fantastical comicbook plot.

There was a news story about this a few days ago:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc....70810081,d.ZGU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm not really that much into British politics, but this paragraph

quote:

His achievement was the more remarkable, because he was almost certainly not endowed with a hero’s nervous system. Some warriors simply do not know the meaning of fear. Faced by threats, they charge. Others, like Airey Neave, have to summon up all their powers of resistance in order to screw their courage to the sticking place. They have to fight down doubts before they can confront dangers. That requires courage of a high order: Airey Neave’s courage.

is a weird thing to say.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

You know nothing, Philip Carvil

Someone please tell me we'll see more of the kissed by fire Mr. Bunny. Even if it's a lie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Using real events to tie it in really set the mood. It was a good decision.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm not really that much into British politics, but this paragraph

is a weird thing to say.

It's the Torygraph. They're weird.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just found it really weird that your one comment on the episode (which was really really good) was about whether it's right and proper to eat food in a lab, because people watching will assume that because they saw it on Utopia it was a good idea so they'd all go do it? Or something?

It was actually one of three comments, all of which are about as random and irrelevant- but none of them should get you worked up. Please discuss with your appropriate mental health professional if you need to. This particular comment of mine was just a throwaway line about how often when I see scientists on TV they're usually happy eating and drinking in their labs. But hey this is set in the 70s, people probably didn't care about things like that back then. Okay sorry that was probably a bit needlessly harsh on you, your initial response was just a fair wtf after all.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 15, 2014

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
It wasn't until I realised the kids were called Jessica and Peter (or some Eastern European variant of it) that I realised just how rabbit-obsessed this show is.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

thehustler posted:

There was a news story about this a few days ago:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc....70810081,d.ZGU

The silly thing is that Neave's death has always been subject to conspiracy theories and comic-book plots; this is just doing the same thing in the context of a fictional story. Plenty of high-up political figures and other people including some respected investigative journalists have questioned the events surrounding his death.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just got around to watching it and it was really good. Great setup for the new season. I'm kind of hoping they finish this in the next 5 because last season showed its definitely possible and I'd love a show to just go full tilt until its over

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.
If its ok to include the JFK assassination in crazy time travel and supernatural stories I don't see why this guy should be kept sacred.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
I had my apprehensions about flashbacks - I was comfortable with the "history" of series 1 to just remain a backdrop instead of revealing everything. It pretty much removes the writers' ability to add future-past mystery later on in the show. As well as the casting choice of Rose Leslie and the Tom Burke (a dead ringer for Kubrick) was too good for just a single flashback episode (and I don't necessarily see them doing another one).
With that said, that was one hell of an episode. I had a different idea of how Arby came to be, but the writing made me sympathize with him just that much more. I do hope they explain how Christos came into the picture.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Jose posted:

Just got around to watching it and it was really good. Great setup for the new season. I'm kind of hoping they finish this in the next 5 because last season showed its definitely possible and I'd love a show to just go full tilt until its over

I'm hoping it turns out this way too. So often these kinds of shows start off really well and then get bogged down in plot creep in their later seasons, opening up all kinds of new story threads that never really get resolved. Utopia S01 gave me the impression that it had set out to tell a particular story with a definite start and end, and I hope that's what it turns out to be.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I was surprised when I first heard there was a second series, the first really seemed to wrap everything up on an appropriate down-note. But this was a good opener and I like that the whole episode took place in the 70s, it made it feel much more cohesive.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Arby as a good guy and Philomena Cunk as his love interest is confusing

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

Arby as a good guy and Philomena Cunk as his love interest is confusing

Ohhh, I can't see anything good happening to Philomena and her cute little penguin-hugging child in the near future...

(And oh gods, poor Pietre, plumbing and quinoa, the poor, simple, hopeful soul...)

Irisi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 15, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I wonder who put the spoon there to gently caress with Wilson?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

I wonder who put the spoon there to gently caress with Wilson?

Lee himself, the cheeky wee scamp? Gods, that little wink he gave to Wilson Wilson upon spotting him was so bloody dark.

Loved all the Channel 4 celebs on the V-day vaccination appeal advert. Bet Jon Snow, Mariella and Dara had a blast recording their little snippets.

I know they couldn't help that puberty has walloped the actor playing Grant hard in the past 18 months, but it was funny seeing him so tall in comparison to the fragile wee boy he was in the previous series.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Looks like some people were pretty upset with the episode.

Edit: Didn't see the link to the article about the car bomb scene

I thought the episode was fantastic but hope this bad publicity doesn't hurt the chance for a new season

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Looks like some people were pretty upset with the episode.

Edit: Didn't see the link to the article about the car bomb scene

I thought the episode was fantastic but hope this bad publicity doesn't hurt the chance for a new season

Don't forget this is the show that aired a school shooting a month after Sandy Hook.

If the complaints about that didn't kill the series I don't know what would.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I honestly love this show. It may be, for me, the best drama British TV has produced. I think someone, possibly taff, mentioned before that you could pause it at any point and you'll stop at a poster-worthy moment, and I agree with that. Every scene is just gorgeous to look at.

Everything about it, every detail, every performance, every line. I love it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

No need to spoil stuff that's already aired.

Loved tonight's episode. Made for a nice contrast to how absolutely hosed poo poo got last series finale.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I will take all the badass moments from the Carvel children that I can get, thank you very much.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Poor Arby's adoptive family. They're totally murdered :(

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its not just me right?

Its hilarious that Ian went back to his lovely job after he secretly helped save the world.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Could you explain the reference?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

whowhatwhere posted:

Could you explain the reference?

Arby sounds like Crow playing Trumpy from a MST3K episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgSoYFz1U0

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is Christian, Becky's scientist employer and all around lovely-human, meant to basically be the same character as Becky's season one lovely-person scientist employer?

They're incredibly similar, but have different names/actors. Feels like a case of recasting.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 16, 2014

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I did not even notice it's a new character.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Huh. I knew he looked different but thought it was the same character.

Also the Daily Mail's actual review (not them raising a fuss over the use WAR HERO AIRY NEAVE)is glorious

BAN THIS SICK FILTH posted:

The obvious response is to ignore Utopia (C4), the malicious and obscene conspiracy drama that claims a Gestapo-style security service was running Britain in the Seventies and Eighties. As television, it is beneath contempt.
But what it reveals about its young audience is far more frightening than any of the hackneyed, incoherent storylines that its writer Dennis Kelly could devise.
The first series of Utopia last year won fans among viewers who must be abjectly ignorant about every aspect of modern history — the kind of people who think Barack Obama is Britain’s president.
According to Kelly’s script, Margaret Thatcher’s government was put in power by deranged MI5 agents with swastikas carved into their stomachs, while IRA terrorism was a front that let British spies assassinate anyone who tried to oppose their scheme for mass eugenics — a drug that would wipe out 90 per cent of humanity and leave a single master-race in possession of the Earth.
Kelly knows his plot is third-rate comic-book drivel. That’s why he attempts to dignify it with a historical setting.
His audience wouldn’t know or care if all the background was fiction and sci-fi. But Kelly insisted on weaving in news footage, such as the discovery of kidnapped Italian politician Aldo Moro’s corpse, stuffed into the boot of a car. That’s a meaningless reference, given the depth of his viewers’ ignorance. They probably think Aldo Moro was a second-rate supermarket.

To highlight these historical nuggets, some truly dire dialogue was supplied. The lines landed like lumps of breezeblock: ‘As you know, there’s a vote of no confidence in Mr Callaghan and his government, this Friday in fact. If we win, Margaret will become Prime Minister. Hooray.’
Another character stood in a warehouse stacked with unburied coffins, during the 1978/79 strikes, and announced: ‘They’re calling it the Winter of Discontent’ — as though his colleagues were aliens beamed down from a distant constellation.
Some of the actors deserved all the crass lines they got. Rose Leslie, who played an outlaw archer in Game Of Thrones and MI5’s psychopath-in-chief in Utopia, has called it a ‘history lesson’ filled with ‘brilliant political intrigue’.
Rose’s arrow-happy character in GoT had a catchphrase: ‘You know nothing!’ Very apt.
In the end, the abysmal storylines can be shrugged off. So what if the hero (Tom Burke from The Musketeers), ended up having his fingernails pulled out by the secret service’s pet torturer, in a nuclear power station? No one forces us to watch such tosh.
Kelly’s insults that defame real people are far worse. The family of war hero Airey Neave denounced the programme at the weekend for portraying him — very wrongly — as a boozy political fixer. This man, who escaped from Nazi prison camp Colditz, deserves a statue, not smears.
More worrying still is the depth of wilful ignorance that Utopia exposes in its young audience. Anyone who watched this dross and was taken in by it should be ashamed of themselves.

Also why does everyone in the UK reviewing that ep say that Aldo Moro plays a role? The only Italian that shows up is the assassinated journalist Mino Pecorelli. Did I miss a shot of Moro's body in the trunk of a car?

e: oh, I must not have been paying attention to the very first minute.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 16, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Huh. I knew he looked different but thought it was the same character.

Also the Daily Mail's actual review (not them raising a fuss over the use WAR HERO AIRY NEAVE)is glorious

Also why does everyone in the UK reviewing that ep say that Aldo Moro plays a role? The only Italian that shows up is the assassinated journalist Mino Pecorelli. Did I miss a shot of Moro's body in the trunk of a car?

e: oh, I must not have been paying attention to the very first minute.

Haha 'the kind of people who think obama is UK president' where the gently caress does this poo poo come from?

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Peter

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Murguista posted:

That's what I said, Peter

Fixed that for you

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Mr Omida was a delight. Such a thoughtful fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't know if I'm seeing things that aren't there but this

made me think of this

• Locked thread