Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Samopsa posted:

My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

I would put Abject Suffering right below WOFF and BFC, but that's 'cause I literally can not get enough Gary and Kole. I tried listening to the Level once, but it didn't grab me so I stopped after one and a half episodes. The rest I haven't listened to yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Samopsa posted:

My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

You need Abject Suffering in your life, I'd rank it right behind WOFF (ahead if I don't care about the WOFF game).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Thank you for the Abject Suffering love. It's a lot of fun to make. We have some doozies coming up.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It's not a gaming podcast but Duckfeed fans shouldn't sleep on Those drat Ross Kids. I didn't start listening to it until it was showing up in my backer feed and kicked myself for not checking it out earlier.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I spent like 20 minutes coming up with a "I love duckfeed" emoji string but it just looked sexual.

Hmm.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

You guys are sweet. Did anyone ever give the Pitch a shot?

As far as old Retronauts, Bob tweeted that he'd be happy to help anyone looking for the archives.

My cat is super cute. http://gamejournopets.tumblr.com/post/56275426648/my-name-is-gary-butterfield-co-host-and

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Woffle posted:

As far as old Retronauts, Bob tweeted that he'd be happy to help anyone looking for the archives.

My cat is super cute. http://gamejournopets.tumblr.com/post/56275426648/my-name-is-gary-butterfield-co-host-and

Your cat looks like Hitler.

Edit: I'm not seeing things right?

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 16, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Your cat looks like cute Hitler.
Fixed that.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I kind of forgot about The Pitch, but I remember the one about corporate strategy was fantastic. I gotta finish off the rest of those some day.

e: Oops, that was Pilot Season. Still good though.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dezinus posted:

I kind of forgot about The Pitch, but I remember the one about corporate strategy was fantastic. I gotta finish off the rest of those some day.

e: Oops, that was Pilot Season. Still good though.

Pilot Season is on indefinite hiatus. I was just trying to come up with ideas for whatever my personal show will end up being. I have something but it won't come out for a while.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

al-azad posted:

They're not hardcore gamers and it's not like they spread misinformation. Sometimes they get a minor detail wrong and they correct themselves later. But they do know comedy, they know writing, and they talk to people both outside and inside the industry and it's that unique perspective I look for. I'm ashamed to admit I know way too much about video games as a subject so unless you're relating your personal experience then I probably already know the subject you're talking about.

I'm asking seriously here: what would you consider a good episode of the Indoor Kids? I want to give this a shot, because this sounds intriguing, but anytime I grab their latest I always find myself irritated when I do know more than them about what I hear being discussed and shut it off partway through.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

I love the Pitch. Somehow the Josh Groban puns never get old and if I could cast a blood spell on you that would make you do more writing about Behehendendrendehenen I surely would.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm asking seriously here: what would you consider a good episode of the Indoor Kids? I want to give this a shot, because this sounds intriguing, but anytime I grab their latest I always find myself irritated when I do know more than them about what I hear being discussed and shut it off partway through.

There's nothing I can really point at to convince you because their podcast is less about games and the industry and more about the experiences of the people who work in the industry or people completely far removed from it. If you get irritated that they don't know a lot about video games then you will forever hate it. I can at least recommend the episode with Troy Baker, Edmund and Danielle McMillen, and an older one with Jordan Morris about canceled/unreleased games.

But no, if you want opinions on news or people talking about games instead of talking about how they perceive games this isn't the podcast.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Woffle posted:

The Pitch is probably my favorite Duckfeed show. I'm sad it's not around anymore, but it being a "completed project" is part of what makes it awesome.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So I read the description of this week's bombcast and now I... kinda don't want to listen to it. Can someone confirm that its okay and not 100% SJW stuff (for lack of a better term)? I can't find a way to really say this without sounding like a bad person, but I'm really tired of that discussion right now and just want yo hear some people talking about video games.

E: To be clear, a female guest is a welcome change, but a guest there to specifically discuss GaymerX sounds like it may open a can of worms.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

So I read the description of this week's bombcast and now I... kinda don't want to listen to it. Can someone confirm that its okay and not 100% SJW stuff (for lack of a better term)? I can't find a way to really say this without sounding like a bad person, but I'm really tired of that discussion right now and just want yo hear some people talking about video games.

They spend maybe 10 minutes talking about GaymerX. If you must, you can just skip past it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

E: To be clear, a female guest is a welcome change, but a guest there to specifically discuss GaymerX sounds like it may open a can of worms.

Die cis scum.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

It's a great podcast. There's a sorta-interview with Samantha about her work and GaymerX, which I thought was great, then it descends into usual buffoonery from there. So if you really don't wanna hear what you might perceive as "SJW stuff" then skip the first 20 minutes but I'd advise listening to it anyway sine it's pretty good if a little dry.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The GaymerX stuff bored me because it was just them talking about how it was really great, how good the conversations were, and did I mention that it's really great? I was bored because they provided like no details on anything they actually did there.

Edit: And there were corporate sponsors! I think that is really good.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Skip to ~20 minutes in if you don't want any of that stuff.

To be honest the worst bit was the dev talking about their own game, but that was mostly because I just wasn't interested in it and those parts in other Bombcasts with guests have tended to be that way as well.

The GaymerX stuff was actually just kind of dull? And other than the guest badly needing some synonyms for the word 'diversity' was like listening to someone read the summary notes for a conference, just kind of dry. Which was a shame as there were a few little asides that implied there could have been some entertaining stories to come out of it.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Woffle posted:

Fixed that.

Redundant

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
The Pitch was and is the best Duckfeed show. If you haven't given it a chance, you're missing out on some really important innovation in your life.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Good recommendation on Indoor Kids. Sometimes I don't want to listen to Idle Thumbs/Duckfeed/Retronauts because I'm busy working and don't want to miss anything amusing or informative. Indoor Kids is just well-meshed happy talk where the hosts are excited about everything all the time... I don't have to pay a bit of attention to it, but when I do, it's usually not paralyzingly dull. Perfect! (Plus I'm in early parenthood.)

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
My favourite Duckfeed show is a tie between the Level and WOFF. WOFF can be pretty funny and informative on what makes a good game, but it can also be heavy and depressing. The Level is a good balance for that because it's pretty easy-going and the hosts are all pretty likeable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Woffle posted:

Cat delivers, and I'll check out The Pitch.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 10! http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com :jeb:

Biff hits a milestone
.24 FAQ
Europa Report
A contest

We were wondering about length of the cast. We have ranged from a 30min show to 1.5hrs. What time length is you limit and what do you consider optimal?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Samopsa posted:

As an aside to this, what would you guys like to see from Comrade! that would improve things but doesn't break the model too much (indie games, short eps)? Gary has pitched the "bundle" idea, where we get a new indie bundle on the first day and quickly push an episode briefly covering all of the games, good or bad. That will probably happen soon.

So far the show has basically just been recorded conversations that Gary and I would have had, podcast or no. We like it, but we're open to suggestions; both on games to play, as well as greater improvements to the formula.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

NickPancakes posted:

As an aside to this, what would you guys like to see from Comrade! that would improve things but doesn't break the model too much (indie games, short eps)? Gary has pitched the "bundle" idea, where we get a new indie bundle on the first day and quickly push an episode briefly covering all of the games, good or bad. That will probably happen soon.

So far the show has basically just been recorded conversations that Gary and I would have had, podcast or no. We like it, but we're open to suggestions; both on games to play, as well as greater improvements to the formula.

Launch a sister cast "Check Yourself Bro" where you play bad AAA games.

In terms of helpful suggestions, there should be a bumper crop of indie games at the end of the month as Something Awful Gamedev Challenge 9 is currently ongoing. The theme is public access. Early screens and demos lead me to believe that whatever the result will be, there will be some laughs to be had. Basically do an episode on those when they come out.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

The old Retronauts episodes are down on 1UP. Does anyone have any mirrors of them?

Someone created a Google Drive account to host a ton of old 1UP episodes, though none of the 50+ I put together are in there :sweatdrop:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2zFFfjto-DjQXRENXFyaV9lRm8&usp=sharing

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

If no one does one of those animated podcast clip videos for Chris's dream from this week's Idle Thumbs, then what is even the point of Youtube? I almost died laughing it was so hysterical.

Also the talk about childhood friends who claimed their uncle/cousin/whoever worked at Nintendo reminded that one of my friends actually did that. He told everyone his uncle who worked at Nintendo let him play the N64 classic Mission Impossible ahead of release and how sweet the game was. That game was a weirdly big thing in my circle of friends at the time...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Oh man, until recently I had every episode of Retronauts on my hard drive but I deleted a bunch, totally forgetting that they were only hosted on 1UP. It feels cheesy to say but some of them seem like important historical documents.

As for the duckfeed chat, I've listened to all of Dead Idea Valhalla and so should you. Although it has kind of a depressing, 'pump up the volume' vibe to it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm 1.5 episodes into the Pitch. Are they all about body parts?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bobservo posted:

Someone created a Google Drive account to host a ton of old 1UP episodes, though none of the 50+ I put together are in there :sweatdrop:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2zFFfjto-DjQXRENXFyaV9lRm8&usp=sharing

Thank you. Do you know if your episodes are saved anywhere? I wanted to listen to the Silent Hill episode.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Tried listening to Idle Thumbs for the first time and it's really hard to listen to them referring to .gifs as "jiffs."

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Tried listening to Idle Thumbs for the first time and it's really hard to listen to them referring to .gifs as "jiffs."

That's how it's pronounced. :colbert:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

That's how it's pronounced. :colbert:

I knew I was going to get this response and it still annoyed me to read it. It's unexcusable to not know how to pronounce .gif in the year of our lord 2014. Execute all jiffsayers! I will run for president with this as my platform.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
You must have heard that the creator of the .gif has said it's pronounced like "jiff"

I don't like it either but there isn't much arguing that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand people who have strong opinions on the pronunciation of "gif"

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Every other podcast I listen to pronounces the G, leave us Jif people alone. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

cbirdsong posted:

I don't understand people who have strong opinions on the pronunciation of "gif"

Its probably the worst thing to argue about on the internet. I'm pretty excited to get off work and listen to the rest of this weeks thumbs. I hope they talk about doge gifs.

• Locked thread