Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god, gently caress you Comedy Central. They're doing a "Shart Week."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Given what garbage Shark Week has turned into it deserves to be mocked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Nathan For You is twisted genius.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I never understood why people would watch the same 3 shark documentaries on repeat for a week, let alone get excited about it.

Maybe I just don't belong on this earth.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shark Week is a national treasure <:mad:>

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

its not that twisted imo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about when he almost got naked in front of kids?

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

I had trouble watching the ghost realtor part of the new season because of how cringe inducing it was. I mean this as high praise.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

There's no Drunk History thread, is there? Johnny Knoxville is playing Johnny Cash on tonight's episode hahaha

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647223

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nathan For You is like the perfect embodiment of the goon spirit. loving with unwilling people in a way that is 85% sarcastic, but still 15% percent sincere.

EDIT: double post

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh sweet. I CTRL+F'ed the first page of TVIV earlier and nothing came up. Glad to know there is one though! Thanks!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

STAC Goat posted:

Nip/Tuck was horrible and I'll never forget it. Nip/Tuck scarred me.

And yet I still gave Glee 2+ years of viewing.

Nip/Tuck was perfect for it's time. Also the son on the show has the distinction of being/living one of the most hosed up lives in television history.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just read the Wikipedia summary for the sons life in nip/tuck and holy poo poo am I right in assuming that nip/tuck is the stupidest show in recorded history

Also how many times is a plot resolved by bartering either with plastic surgery or promising to perform a plastic surgery procedure in exchange

Because holy Christ it's done like six different times in that summary alone

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The best was when the son became a mime that robbed people :mmmhmm:

Also the replacement doctor that loved to gently caress furniture. Amazing television.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nip/Tuck is pretty memorable for how batshit it was. It's a show about plastic surgeons where the pilot episode ends with them feeding a dead body wrapped in hams to an alligator and from there it goes on to organ thieves, cuticle scissor circumcisions, platic surgery-themed serial killers, pedophile transwomen, Joan Rivers smearing semen on her face thinking it's skin cream, and Peter Dinklage as a recurring character fighting to keep a baby's hands deformed and useless.

I really wish that when Ryan Murphy's other shows started to suck after the first season or two they at least started sucking in such a ridiculous, over-the-top way.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Glee would have been so much better if it had elevated to those heights instead of devouring itself in chasing iTunes sales.

I still think that show could have been a long running pillar of television if they hadn't made every mistake a show could make.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

The Duke posted:

The best was when the son became a mime that robbed people :mmmhmm:

Actually the best was when he tried to give himself a circumcision. Tried and failed :stare:

It wasn't all bad---at the end of the show, he goes back to his ex-girlfriend played by Famke Janssen. Who was born a man

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i'm pretty sure the #1 best moment of nip/tuck was when Christian killed a woman with his cock

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Aye Doc posted:

i'm pretty sure the #1 best moment of nip/tuck was when Christian killed a woman with his cock

I dint remember this. I mean, I believe it happened on that show, but it all blurs together.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fooz posted:

I never understood why people would watch the same 3 shark documentaries on repeat for a week, let alone get excited about it.

Maybe I just don't belong on this earth.
Look man watching Great Whites launch out of the water killing seals in South Africa will never get old.

Also going to your blue collar water authority job and hearing one of the foreman talk about how great that Megaladon documentary was and how he didn't know that something that big still exists in the ocean.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I dint remember this. I mean, I believe it happened on that show, but it all blurs together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81dIbPNEDpg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody hates The Leftovers. They just hate Damon Lindelof.. The show itself is just sorta bland but it's on a premium network so people will talk about it. 5 years from now nobody will remember it like Nip/Tuck.

Nip Tuck is the poo poo! At least the first two seasons. That show hit a quality drop like a ferrari hitting a brick wall.

EDIT: I just started cackling at the thought of the son ending up a loving mime.

EDIT 2: And that serial killer poo poo was what really did it in. gently caress that went forever.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Who could The Carver be? I don't know, but it couldn't possibly be one of the two new cast members.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shageletic posted:

Nip Tuck is the poo poo! At least the first two seasons. That show hit a quality drop like a ferrari hitting a brick wall.

EDIT: I just started cackling at the thought of the son ending up a loving mime.

EDIT 2: And that serial killer poo poo was what really did it in. gently caress that went forever.

Ryan Murphy usually has some good short seasons in him, but it's amazing how quickly he can spiral out of control. It's already apparent with AHS, where Season 3 was just a mess of nothingness. He has this ability to throw everything at the wall in desperation. Part of me admires the imagination. If there's any wrestling fans in the house, he's the Vince Russo of the TV world.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I almost feel ashamed saying this now, but the Pilot episode of Glee was loving brilliant.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BSam posted:

I almost feel ashamed saying this now, but the Pilot episode of Glee was loving brilliant.
There's nothing to be ashamed about. I watched it a bunch of times in the process of introducing it to friends.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

True, I just wish I bailed much earlier than their Rocky Horror episode.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BSam posted:

I'd say the whole first season is pretty good. It's sort of fascinating too because it's a show that's being pulled in 3 different directions by 3 different writers. It made for some inconsistency but there's a surprising amount of melancholy there as well, whereby it's pretty flatly stated that their dreams of performing are going to mess them up in a pretty big way.

It all falls apart eventually but I think had it just run for that one season people would've loved it.

The only thing I hated about the show at that time was the insistence on taking otherwise good singers and autotuning them all. Once you actually notice it it becomes grating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will defend the first 13 episodes of Glee until my dying breath.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I bailed at the end of the second(?) season when they made it to nationals, arrived in New York and immediately decided to write their own songs and completely redo all their performances. I never even finished that episode, I just turned the show off and never went back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shark Week runs the same stuff in blocks because normal people don't have that much time for TV so it gives multiple opportunities to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat are people hating on loving Shark Week now?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its been 20 years. Come up with a new animal. What about Penguin Week? Elephant Week? Alligator Week? Everybody loves alligators.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spider Week :unsmigghh:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Spider Week :unsmigghh:

ftfy

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Shark week was awesome when you were 8.

Now it's just boring as poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Comedy Central has decided to parody Shark Week with "Shart Week"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Comedy Central has decided to parody Shark Week with "Shart Week"

Oh they're bringing back Brickleberry? :smug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

Shark week was awesome when you were 8.

Now it's just boring as poo poo.

I really wonder if it would be, looking back at the the changes between 90s programming and today's. TV documentaries these days have to show their subject as the biggest best most shocking extreme important thing in the world, rather than just being straight-up informational nature documentaries. The history and nature ones I've gone back and revisited from that era are just so much less concerned about the "cool" factor and just feel factual and educational. They're not trying to be big Hollywood special effects extravaganzas like anything you (so rarely) see now on Discovery or History, or even PBS.

Just try watching any modern dinosaur documentary versus this, where there are actual paleontologists sitting around and explaining aspects of the lives of dinosaurs, theorizing and wondering, rather than just an hours worth of the "cool" moments of dinosaurs fighting and stealing eggs and getting hit by meteors. Not to say those moments don't happen in the linked doc too, but they have voiceover that isn't hyperbolic and is talking about their grazing habits and volume of food eaten, the way certain parts of their bodies are used for defense, etc.

I'm assuming Shark Week was similar back then.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Glee started out giving their characters real emotions and problems and built real relationships between them and then somewhere around season 3 decided "oh poo poo we don't know where to go from here! Time to hit the reset button!"

• Locked thread