Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anybody tell me what "bookshelf format" denotes? I've noticed it used to describe the contents of a couple of slightly older TPBs (e.g. the backcover of Excalibur Classic Vol. 2 says that it includes the "Mojo Mayhem bookshelf").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anybody tell me what "bookshelf format" denotes? I've noticed it used to describe the contents of a couple of slightly older TPBs (e.g. the backcover of Excalibur Classic Vol. 2 says that it includes the "Mojo Mayhem bookshelf").

At least in that context, Mojo Mayhem was what DC might have called a "Prestige Format" book. It was 2-3 times as long as a normal comic, printed on glossy paper with no ads, bound with an actual spine (with the title on it; hence the "bookshelf format" moniker), rather than stapled, and probably had a cover price in the $5 range. Marvel and DC have both referred to these sorts of books as "Original Graphic Novels" in the past, as opposed to a TPB of previously-collected material. Most of DC's Elseworlds graphic novels were in that format.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Was there ever a version of Cyclops that actually had some sort of cyclopic deformity?

I could have sworn I remembered a moment once where he took off his visor and had a weird sort of single slit similar to his visor itself. GIS is so far telling me that I am making things up.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ror posted:

Was there ever a version of Cyclops that actually had some sort of cyclopic deformity?

I could have sworn I remembered a moment once where he took off his visor and had a weird sort of single slit similar to his visor itself. GIS is so far telling me that I am making things up.

He only had one eye in Age of Apocalypse. Age of Ultron too I think

Not as deformities, though, just lost them

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Opopanax posted:

He had one gross looking horizontal oblong in his face when he fused with Apocalypse at the end of The Twelve, but out of respect to Alan Davis I'll refrain from posting a picture of that horrible design.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

He had one gross looking horizontal oblong in his face when he fused with Apocalypse at the end of The Twelve, but out of respect to Alan Davis I'll refrain from posting a picture of that horrible design.

I won't.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gotta love those grotesque flesh handles on his shoulders. I guess so Colossus can follow up the Fastball Special with the Kettlebell Surprise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ror posted:

The Dresden Codak dude's redesign did.

Unlike his DC designs("Green Lantern is now a sexy girl who's powers come from her chest"), I like his version of the X-Men.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Not as deformities, though, just lost them

And naturally, in Age of Ultron when he was a literal cyclops, he went by "Cable". One of the numerous :doh:-worthy moments of AoU.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

And naturally, in Age of Ultron when he was a literal cyclops, he went by "Cable". One of the numerous :doh:-worthy moments of AoU.

Because unlike "Cyclops", "Cable" is a name that means "one eye".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Because unlike "Cyclops", "Cable" is a name that means "one eye".

Well for that matter, when has Cable ever had cables? I'm beginning to think the entire Marvel universe is riddled with incompetence.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does Cable have cable? If he had satellite that's just straight up bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

greatn posted:

I can't find the page where someone says "we have to get Cable!" and then either Beast or Strong Guy makes a joke about HBO. :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

He lived in a satellite.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Nighcrawler is not worm-like in any way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Banshees are specifically female. Colossus is just a bit taller than normal! Jean Grey is white!!!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
As far as I know Wolverines don't have retractable adimantium claws too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can Wolverine swim?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Can Wolverine swim?

He's too heavy and very afraid of bodies of water because drowning is basically eternal torture for him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

He's too heavy and very afraid of bodies of water because drowning is basically eternal torture for him.
I'm sure he would die just like anyone else. It might take longer but he would lose consciousness anyways.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well he drowned Daken to death, and he had the same healing factor. I just wondered if he was physically capable of swimming because of his metal skeleton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He did actually kill Daken by drowning so I guess it does overpower his healing factor. Depending on how powerful his healing factor is that week, anyway.

zoux posted:

Well he drowned Daken to death, and he had the same healing factor. I just wondered if he was physically capable of swimming because of his metal skeleton.

Yes and no.

Yes in that it has been outright stated he's too heavy.

No in that it has been outright stated he's not much heavier since it's just a coating.

Comics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I thought immersing Wolverine in water works, but if anyone ever drags him out of it, he'll heal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has Wolverine died in the big event yet? I'm behind six months. If so, how?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Has Wolverine died in the big event yet? I'm behind six months. If so, how?

Two more months.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The being the internet dubbed, Cyclopalypse!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have this memory of these X-men figures in Toys 'R Us that depicted the X-men as being even further mutated, weird, and more literal. Wolverine was an actual wolverine and Cyclopse basically had a big eyeball for a head. I have no idea if I just made these up though.

EDIT: Oh, found it

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

Two more months.

Wait, so Wolverine has not actually died yet, but they're releasing the comics that deal with the fallout/aftermath of him dying? Why is that happening?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Patrick Spens posted:

Wait, so Wolverine has not actually died yet, but they're releasing the comics that deal with the fallout/aftermath of him dying? Why is that happening?

They released the solicitations of books they are releasing in October so retailers can order them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

But they're not?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have this memory of these X-men figures in Toys 'R Us that depicted the X-men as being even further mutated, weird, and more literal. Wolverine was an actual wolverine and Cyclopse basically had a big eyeball for a head. I have no idea if I just made these up though.

EDIT: Oh, found it

Wow. That line is ... something...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcollectibles&field-keywords=monster%20armor

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Fish Police ever resolve why the main guy had memories of being human? That was maybe one of my first narrative frustrations. Kids should not be given Fish Police, although I guess it is kind of best suited for them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Where should I start with iconic Hulk runs? Peter David? John Byrne?

When was the child abuse stuff introduced?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Where should I start with iconic Hulk runs? Peter David? John Byrne?

When was the child abuse stuff introduced?

Peter David's run is the only classic Hulk you need to read. Don't even touch Byrne's.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Peter David's run is the only classic Hulk you need to read. Don't even touch Byrne's.

I can never tell if you hate John Byrne or are so critical of his work because you love him so much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

What about Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo?

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

There were avengers versions of this, my sister had Wasp. Which had a massive hair doo going on. Can't find pictures though

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Agent_grey posted:

There were avengers versions of this, my sister had Wasp. Which had a massive hair doo going on. Can't find pictures though

Didn't they make Janet part-actual-wasp around the time Teen Tony was Iron Man?

What I'm saying is everybody should read "The Crossing".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Didn't they make Janet part-actual-wasp around the time Teen Tony was Iron Man?

What I'm saying is everybody should read "The Crossing".

You can get it here
http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-The-Crossing-Bob-Harras/dp/0785162038/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406046839&sr=8-4&keywords=the+crossing+marvel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love how the back cover of the omnibus reads "ONE OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS NARRATIVES OF THE NINETIES!" like it's a selling point.

Of course, Marvel's also released X-Force by Rob Liefeld as an omnibus edition, so that may well have been the case.