Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buttcrackmenace posted:

Going to work this into the next trivia contest. "What was the last American military aircraft built without on-board radar?"

Probably actually the T-52. Apparently the U-28 actually has a weather radar which was my other guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

holocaust bloopers posted:

I especially liked the one that was modded for special forces airborne insertion.

That one did the greatest service to the US - no, the world - out of any of them. Ever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Phy posted:

Guys Canada can't buy black planes, how are they supposed to paint a cockpit on the bottom?

:laffo: yup, shelve that idea!!

I always found that a little embarrassing tbh. It's one of those "can't hurt" things but c'mon, it just seems like some wacky fighter jet version of a folk remedy.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably actually the T-52. Apparently the U-28 actually has a weather radar which was my other guess.

I mean does weather radar count? Cause there are a lot of aircraft that only have that. I mean I know some don't even have that either. V-22 doesn't, pretty sure -53's, -60's, UH/AH-1's don't either....there are quite a lot.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I especially liked the one that was modded for special forces airborne insertion.

Whoever runs this page https://m.facebook.com/RipStevenSeagal should update it to reflect his actual cause of death: f-117.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Whoever runs this page https://m.facebook.com/RipStevenSeagal should update it to reflect his actual cause of death: f-117.

The fun thing is they advertised that movie in Germany around Steven Seagal, despite him biting it like 20 minutes in.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bob A Feet posted:

I mean does weather radar count?

To be fair he never specified "search radar..."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Phy posted:

Guys Canada can't buy black planes, how are they supposed to paint a cockpit on the bottom?

priznat posted:

:laffo: yup, shelve that idea!!

I always found that a little embarrassing tbh. It's one of those "can't hurt" things but c'mon, it just seems like some wacky fighter jet version of a folk remedy.

Come on, guys: the A-10 already has/had that as standard equipment. Seriously, at this point, I'm starting to believe the ol' Thunderbolt II was MADE for :canada:

Ed:
Buy it and save it you maple-lickers. :colbert:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 16, 2014

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Gibfender posted:

I've only just gotten round to reading the 117's wiki page and lol

Definitely a theme there

Why is disorientation such a problem?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Barnsy posted:

The invisibility field prevents the pilot from seeing the horizon.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

FrozenVent posted:

The invisibility field prevents the pilot from seeing the horizon.

Teeny windows? :v:

Also, I had never heard the follow-up on the 117-loses-a-wing crash from ages ago. :lol:'ing at the "missing wing bolts... whoops."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Barnsy posted:

Honestly, because they flew mostly at night. It is very easy to get disoriented flying in darkness, even more so if you are flying a high-performance aircraft.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

MrChips posted:

Honestly, because they flew mostly at night. It is very easy to get disoriented flying in darkness, even more so if you are flying a high-performance aircraft.

Alright, but what about the F-117?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Barnsy posted:

Because we still haven't figured out how to stop killing ourselves in over a century of aviation.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

The Ferret King posted:

Because we still haven't figured out how to stop killing ourselves in over a century of aviation.

loving gravity... and mountains... and lovely maintenance... and buildings... and cost-cutting... and bad egos.

Get rid of all of those things and aviation would be perfect! :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

I know you're joking around, but in my world "high performance" typically has one or more turbine engines of any form. Trust me when I say you can get all kinds of disorientated in even something as meagre a King Air or Pilatus PC-12 doing a missed approach on a dark night.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

I know you're joking around, but in my world "high performance" typically has one or more turbine engines of any form. Trust me when I say you can get all kinds of disorientated in even something as meagre a King Air or Pilatus PC-12 doing a missed approach on a dark night.

The "meagre" PC-12 has performance similar to late WWII fighters.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I kind of know this person who just became the youngest woman to fly around the world. She did it in a PC-12:

Her name is really Amelia Earhart

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You really don't see the word "aviatrix" enough I just realized.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

priznat posted:

You really don't see the word "aviatrix" enough I just realized.

I went to high school with a girl who was getting her pilot's license (carried Jeppesen manuals everywhere), and she had a t-shirt that had variations of "I'm an aviatrix" misspelled and crossed out, with "I'm a pilot" at the bottom.

Bonus points for anyone that can use the proper plural aviatrices.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

I know that the prototypes (HAVE BLUE and SENIOR TREND) that lead to the F-117 had issues with the canopy framing leading to fairly poor visibility from the cockpit, which certainly wouldn't have helped with spatial disorientation issues. Combine that with missions that involve flying exclusively at night in a high-stress environment, and spatial disorientation is pretty likely to ensue.

The SR-71 actually suffered from a similar problem (the canopy design lead to disorientation during refueling and at night), and eventually a system was installed that used a stabilized laser to draw a horizon line across the instrument panel so the pilot had a reference to where "up" was in their peripheral vision.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I suppose it may be a dumb thought, but looking at all the new photos on Airliners.net, it does bug me that there is a bigger US military presence at this year's Farnborough airshow than there was at the Dayton airshow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I suppose it may be a dumb thought, but looking at all the new photos on Airliners.net, it does bug me that there is a bigger US military presence at this year's Farnborough airshow than there was at the Dayton airshow.

Probably a lot less military hardware buyers at Dayton (taxpayers don't count they already got your dough)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Captain Bravo posted:

This :master: did not get nearly enough love. :allears:

It wasn't snark. The F-117 had no air-air capability, and unlike the F-105 and F-111 (referenced in below link) it never had it, even in development - paper-only N variant notwithstanding. It is decently likely the F- designator was originally part of the secrecy around the program.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If Canada wants a dual engined supersonic fighter with stealth capabilities, they should reanimate a zombie Kelly Johnson and have him build them a fleet of YF-12s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress it we'll just load up on BOMARCs (again)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well it's certainly one way to intercept a Bear.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

buttcrackmenace posted:

Going to work this into the next trivia contest. "What was the last American military aircraft built without on-board radar?"

hobbesmaster posted:

Depends if you go from first flight or IOC. It might be one of the trainers, but a lot of those are designed and flying with civilians or other nations well before we buy them. If not those, it's probably the MQ-9 or some sort of helo, I can't remember if we've bought any new ones lately.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

priznat posted:

I bet the #1 reason why the F-35 is continuing in Canada is because DND wants them and DND wants them because the higher mucky mucks are probably pals with the US DoD mucky mucks.

That or just plain inertia.

There's talk here in Belgium about buying some too, to replace our (rather small) collection of F-16s. There's quite a bit of opposition to the idea, but primarily from the 'why do we need any fighter jets at all? we could just use C-130's to do our part in NATO/EU/whatever' camp.

There are very few calls to consider something else than the F-35, primary reasons given are that the F-35 will be a NATO/EU standard and that we should just use the same, and that the F-35 is the only option if you have to carry nukes (that we officially don't have in our country but we totally do and everybody knows where.)

I wish more people would argue against the F-35 not because we shouldn't have any fighters at all, but because it sucks and there are better planes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

It wasn't snark. The F-117 had no air-air capability, and unlike the F-105 and F-111 (referenced in below link) it never had it, even in development - paper-only N variant notwithstanding. It is decently likely the F- designator was originally part of the secrecy around the program.

:thesperg:

We know.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/malaysian-plane-crash-russia-border-2014-7

Malaysian 777 said to have gone down in Eastern Ukraine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Not a good year for triple-sevens is it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

revmoo posted:

Not a good year for triple-sevens is it?

Not a good year for Malaysian airlines.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Malaysia Airlines reporting they haven't found it yet, but that they have some promising leads.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

What are the symptoms of a stroke

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Not a good year for Malaysian airlines.

In fairness, rumor is that Ukraine shot it down, and there's not much you can really blame Malaysian for there, well, unless they were playing at radio silence again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The missing plane had actually fallen through a time vortex and rematerialized on top of the other 777.

Ukraine did nothing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That link claims it may have been Russian separatists?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
langoliers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

That link claims it may have been Russian separatists?

It could be (:tinfoil:):

• Russian separatists
  • Ukrainian forces
    • Under government control
    • Acting on their own
  • Ukrainian rebels of some sort
  • Russian forces as a false flag
  • An accident

But really until someone steps up and say "Yeah we did it", we won't know for sure.