Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

http://engineering.tamu.edu/25by25

Some Engineering dean had the cool idea of raising the amount of engineers to 25,000 by 2025. Now, for those of you who don't know A&M's demographics, Engineers currently make up ~12,000 of the student body, or about 25% of the campus. This means that (ignoring all other growth) they're planning on increasing the size of the student body by 25% in 10 years.

This is gonna gently caress things up so badly that your degree will retroactively be worth less.

Perry's gonna try to do something similar to UT once Powers is ousted :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perry's gonna be long gone by the time Powers is ousted, if he even ends up leaving.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, what computer parts is talking about is part of A&M's implementation of the "reforms" Perry and co have been pushing, jacking up number of students served by a ton, quality of education (and giving the school enough money to maintain quality) be damned. A&M's administration was just more amenable than UT's. And don't worry Longhorns, the writing is on the wall for us to join our Aggie brothers on the path now that Powers is out.

I'd love to go to Kyle Field someday, but the administrations of both schools have yet to fix The Worst Mistake Ever by not reinstating the Thanksgiving game.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

Perry's gonna be long gone by the time Powers is ousted, if he even ends up leaving.

Did you not see the discussion upthread? Powers is gone next June.

e: Oops double post

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

At least rich kids who become lawyers can start up some lovely firm, only to have it bought out and they just keep doing it until they become millionaires before they're 30.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Did you not see the discussion upthread? Powers is gone next June.

e: Oops double post

There's a reason he wants to stick around past the next legislative session. Powers is the Legislature's guy, they have gone to bat for him multiple times. They impeached a regent basically for loving with Powers. Powers thinks that the Legislature is going to back him up hardcore and he'll get to hang around. Cigarroa and Perry will both be gone by next June, and the real behind-the-scenes reason for all this Powers foofaraw is that it's actually a dickwaving contest between two branches of state government.

In fact, dudes being mean to Powers caused Dewhurst to cry on the dais during a brief impromptu speech defending him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

There's a reason he wants to stick around past the next legislative session. Powers is the Legislature's guy, they have gone to bat for him multiple times. They impeached a regent basically for loving with Powers. Powers thinks that the Legislature is going to back him up hardcore and he'll get to hang around. Cigarroa and Perry will both be gone by next June, and the real behind-the-scenes reason for all this Powers foofaraw is that it's actually a dickwaving contest between two branches of state government.

In fact, dudes being mean to Powers caused Dewhurst to cry on the dais during a brief impromptu speech defending him.

Well, I'm unironically somewhat reassured by how confident you seem.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also a big gently caress you to Time Warner for cutting off SA news to my town.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Also a big gently caress you to Time Warner for cutting off SA news to my town.

Get another cable provider!

You know how long it took TWC to carry the Longhorn Network in Austin? Like a year and a half.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Get another cable provider!

You know how long it took TWC to carry the Longhorn Network in Austin? Like a year and a half.

To be fair it always seemed to me like the Longhorn Network was a dumb idea, but I didn't follow it that closely.

Also Powers himself isn't the best guy in the world, mainly because of the Shared Services stuff he's been trying to push (http://kxan.com/2014/04/24/university-of-texas-shared-service-is-not-outsourcing/). I get why he's doing it, but it's hard to go along with cutting 500 jobs from UT, especially when the kind of people they're cutting were so helpful during my time at UT. But I'm happy to stand up for him against the Regents. Is there any news on the articles of impeachment for Hall?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

To be fair it always seemed to me like the Longhorn Network was a dumb idea, but I didn't follow it that closely.

Also Powers himself isn't the best guy in the world, mainly because of the Shared Services stuff he's been trying to push (http://kxan.com/2014/04/24/university-of-texas-shared-service-is-not-outsourcing/). I get why he's doing it, but it's hard to go along with cutting 500 jobs from UT, especially when the kind of people they're cutting were so helpful during my time at UT. But I'm happy to stand up for him against the Regents. Is there any news on the articles of impeachment for Hall?

The House committee is going to have a meeting on August 5th where it is expected they will recommend impeachment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Man, Democrats couldn't have picked a more boring candidate even if they tried. Wendy Davis is doing bad even among women. At this point, I think Leticia Van Der Putte would have been a better choice to run for Governor.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Every candidate, every governor's race has been described as "energizing the party, you gotta give credit to (him/her)!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Every candidate, every governor's race has been described as "energizing the party, you gotta give credit to (him/her)!"

Yup, every four years like clockwork "Well, Chris Bell/Bill White/Wendy Davis might have lost, but s/he did better than anybody expected, and that gives the Democrats something to build on going forward!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Except that is not at all what is happening. If anything, I think people see the writing on the wall. This really isn't about Wendy Davis. It is about Battleground Texas at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wendy getting the nom was due to the fact that she was the only Texas Democrat that anybody could recognize.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:lol: at some Medicare fraud doctor running for senate, and he's not even liberal.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nonsense posted:

:lol: at some Medicare fraud doctor running for senate, and he's not even liberal.

Did you ever get the email about how we shouldn't vote for Kesha Rogers? I thought it was pretty hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You shouldn't though, she's nuts.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Wendy getting the nom was due to the fact that she was the only Texas Democrat that anybody could recognize.

I didn't recognize her. She can't even get her career history straight.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

I went to an exceedingly expensive private liberal arts school and I wish I would've gone to UT instead :smith:
I was salutatorian at my high school (public, semi-suburban, mostly Hispanic) and between merit and need-based aid it actually ended up much cheaper for me to go to a higher-ranked (although I suppose you really shouldn't put much weight on rankings :v:) private university in Massachusetts than UT-Austin. I didn't apply to Rice though, like everyone else I knew. Good god, the amount of behind-her-back complaining among my Asian peers when the black girl who was born in Saudi Arabia and ranked third got in and none of them didn't. Besides, they all wanted to be doctors anyway, so does it really matter which undergrad you go to?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

I went to an exceedingly expensive private liberal arts school and I wish I would've gone to UT instead :smith:

My grades were so bad coming out of High School I didn't even bother applying to UT, St. Edward's across the river accepted me though, and it was pretty great all things considered. :unsmith:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Also, because she was likely to lose an election in 2014 anyway, so why not take a shot at governor.

In 2012, every seat in the state Senate was up for election due to the recent redistricting. However, the setup of the Senate is for staggered 4 year terms with half the body up for election every 2 years. With the redistricting, everyone faced re-election, and then at the start of the 2012 term, Senators drew lots to determine if they'd just been elected to a 2 or 4 year term.

Davis drew a 2 year term, putting her back up for election in her redrawn district where she was supposed to lose in 2012, only now she'd be facing the midterm electorate. She was likely to lose her seat in 2014 anyway, so why not take a shot at the governor's race instead of losing her state senate race.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

My grades were so bad coming out of High School I didn't even bother applying to UT, St. Edward's across the river accepted me though, and it was pretty great all things considered. :unsmith:

I got poo poo grades once in university and I transferred into UT with a 2.8.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I went to SU in Georgetown because my grades guaranteed me a scholarship and nobody told me about Williamson County!

I'm from Bryan so I didn't want to go to A&M and my high school was loving huge and I wanted to go to a small school.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I was salutatorian at my high school (public, semi-suburban, mostly Hispanic) and between merit and need-based aid it actually ended up much cheaper for me to go to a higher-ranked (although I suppose you really shouldn't put much weight on rankings :v:) private university in Massachusetts than UT-Austin. I didn't apply to Rice though, like everyone else I knew. Good god, the amount of behind-her-back complaining among my Asian peers when the black girl who was born in Saudi Arabia and ranked third got in and none of them didn't. Besides, they all wanted to be doctors anyway, so does it really matter which undergrad you go to?

There's a certain type of person (and it's not just Asians) who are competitive for the sake of being competitive. I know a girl who got into Columbia University and is by all measures much happier in NYC than in Texas and she still freaked the gently caress out about not qualifying for automatic admission into UT Austin.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm not actually a real Texan since I was born in southern California and don't say "y'all" so you'll have to tell me, what's wrong with Southwestern/Williamson county?

My high school had over 4000 people and it took me a while to realize this is considered huge

Edit: ^ they're all at UT-Austin, St. Edwards, and St. Thomas (at least the people I'm thinking of) and their Facebook posts look happy. I just think they really wanted to go to Rice at the time; I'm Asian and my parents were bugging me to apply to Rice so idk, maybe it's a prestige thing

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2014

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Sardonik posted:

You really didn't miss out on much. Depending on your degree and if you ever drank and spoke with any of the brothers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm not actually a real Texan since I was born in southern California and don't say "y'all" so you'll have to tell me, what's wrong with Southwestern/Williamson county?

My high school had over 4000 people and it took me a while to realize this is considered huge

Google "John Bradley DA".

WillCo is as conservative and its police are as overzealous as Travis county is liberal and lax. And they hate college students.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There is a 3 way fight in Texas democratic politics:

1. The Texas Democratic Party
2. The Texas based campaign groups
3. The National campaign groups

Untrained due to the decades of dominance the TDP machine isn't and in that vacuum the three groups bumble like Larry, Curly and Moe. They bicker among top-down and bottom-up strategies along with a varying focus on turning out Hispanics. However, until these power structures are actually aligned the party is treading water.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Was it the Princeton of New England?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I dropped out of high school to pursue a career in punk rock (it didn't pan out lol) and ended up getting into both, but chose A&M because CoL was significantly cheaper in BCS, doubly so since my brother was already here and we shared a place. Admissions is weird sometimes. v:shobon:v

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UT was the only place I applied since I was top 10% and didn't really care about going anywhere else. I think living in Austin cost more than the tuition.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Strange, I went to UT and wish I had gone to a tiny liberal arts school in Vermont or something.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saw the owner of madam mam's chase a guy down the street for not tipping.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Lote posted:

Was it the Princeton of New England?
I dunno what that means (is new jersey not new England??), but Rice is definitely up there in terms of prestige. Apparently they used to take more in state students compared to now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I saw that dude get hit by the bus during the stupid sword fight in the middle of guadalupe

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I saw that dude get hit by the bus during the stupid sword fight in the middle of guadalupe

huh?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM

he was somehow ok

my favorite thing about this video is the shirtless fratboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8oJDVfvTM