Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The tractor at my parents house apparently started riding a bit rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This upper oil line to the turbo sprung a leak on this 08 Mini Cooper S, shouldnt be to bad to get to right?

Haha just kidding gently caress you it's bolted to the side of the block underneath a heat shield underneath a bracket to the turbo underneath the cat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Jesus. I thought the old Minis were bad.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Who designed that thing?!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jeherrin posted:

Who designed that thing?!

Germans.

It's always usually the Germans.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just for giggles here's everything reassembled.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
(Click for big)

I wonder how terrifying the next 5 seconds were...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

(Click for big)

I wonder how terrifying the next 5 seconds were...

That's a still from a video. He powered out and probably just figured he was breaking traction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EIrO2bP6Q8&t=129s

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Yesterday I reclaimed a little piece of my past to put on display at work. This is why you don't push start a hydro-locked motor:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There's a pump in one of the mechanical spaces on campus that has been leaking and getting worse for over a year. I let them know about it months ago, but nothing was done. Decided to check on it yesterday and welp

It's dead, Jim. That's a hot water supply line for the dorm, so showers should be tons of fun in that building for a while.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

There's a pump in one of the mechanical spaces on campus that has been leaking and getting worse for over a year. I let them know about it months ago, but nothing was done. Decided to check on it yesterday and welp

It's dead, Jim. That's a hot water supply line for the dorm, so showers should be tons of fun in that building for a while.

Eugh. Looks kind of like the supply pumps around town only in even worse condition.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Terrible Robot posted:

showers should be tons of fun in that building for a while.

Ugh, looks like they probably already were for a while. :shrek:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It looks like it poo poo itself.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

It looks like it poo poo itself.

the pump had taco bell.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Ultimateforce can you rate this weld?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That HAS to be some sort of joke :aaaaa:

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
New King of the Hammers trophy?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Sudo Echo posted:

Ultimateforce can you rate this weld?

How does that even happen in the first place?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

DILLIGAF posted:

How does that even happen in the first place?

Crank broke.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the hell did that come out of? Never seen a crank with a gear milled onto one of the counterweights before.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

What the hell did that come out of? Never seen a crank with a gear milled onto one of the counterweights before.

I know Ford/Mazda did that on the 2.3 Duratec/MZR to drive the balance shaft assembly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

:stare:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Maybe it was being welded together to turn into a mailbox base. Crankshafts and what I think are the cranks from old rock crushers seem to be pretty popular.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geoj posted:

I know Ford/Mazda did that on the 2.3 Duratec/MZR to drive the balance shaft assembly.

Toyota does this too. I know the 5S-FE drives it's balance shafts this way.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Vanagoon posted:

Toyota does this too. I know the 5S-FE drives it's balance shafts this way.

And soon VAG will probably do this for their alternators, situated inside the block in such a way that the crank needs to be pulled to extract it.

I don't have a picture at this point but the indicator canceller thing stopped working on the Niva. From what I could spy through the crack between wheel and column cover it looks like the the big plastic nub thing has broken off and taken part of the backplate with it. How the hell does that even happen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

General_Failure posted:

And soon VAG will probably do this for their alternators, situated inside the block in such a way that the crank needs to be pulled to extract it.

Don't even loving joke about that. You might give them an idea.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrYenko posted:

Don't even loving joke about that. You might give them an idea.

Looking forward to future alternator cam failure recall

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, Audi already puts the alternators on their racecars inside the loving transmission bellhousing IIRC, sooo......

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

8ender posted:

Looking forward to future alternator cam failure recall

Please. Alternator intermediate support bearing, if you would be so kind.

It will be located between the crank, engine, and transmission, and will have a service life of 25k miles. If you let it go too long the alternator rotor will skew sideways in the housing, strip the teeth off the crank, and feed shredded metal to the bearings, as the rotor is cooled by being contained within the pressurized portion of the oil system.

:unsmigghh:

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Well, Audi already puts the alternators on their racecars inside the loving transmission bellhousing IIRC, sooo......

It's not that ridiculous on a race car, and motorcycles are basically done this way as well. No loving way in hell I'd buy a car like that though.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
yeah how long does a transmission last in a race car? Like two races and it's done?

I like that this person can rock an escalade but can't buy a headlight

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Huggable Bear King posted:

yeah how long does a transmission last in a race car? Like two races and it's done?

This is what happens when someone who is living beyond their means purely for appearance has something go wrong with their vehicle. I bet it looks perfectly normal in the trailer park or parked in front of the projects that they live in. They will have to sell some of their excessive jewelry or ridiculous sports apparel to cover the cost of repairs I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You guys are looking at this all wrong. It's awesome.

:pirate:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FWIW this has to be ~85% of the used Escalade demographic.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How would you suggest attaching it? Installing a new headlight on that side will be a lot more involved than 'Buy headlight, mount headlight'. Also, :iia:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

How would you suggest attaching it? Installing a new headlight on that side will be a lot more involved than 'Buy headlight, mount headlight'.

Proving his point further; "I drive an Escalade but can barely afford the payments and therefore only carry state-minimum liability and cannot afford to self-finance repairs."

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had a similar amount of damage to my avalanche after an accident that cost around 6k in parts alone to fix. The avalanche uses alot of the same parts as the escalade, so I'm sure that costs around the same to fix. I'd rather just give my vehicle an eye patch at that point as well.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, with an avalanche you can just get out our dremel and color-match some Tupperware for that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My grandfather's headlight reflector cracked on his suburban, and I went to a junkyard and got him a replacement light for something like $120. The fender and bumper are pretty trashed, but the headlight mounts on that escalade are probably still ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geoj posted:

Proving his point further; "I drive an Escalade but can barely afford the payments and therefore only carry state-minimum liability and cannot afford to self-finance repairs."

I loving wish I could self finance repairs that will cost at least five grand, without also meaning I can't eat and have no savings.