Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well his wife is an idol cosplayer if I recall correctly. He probably sees a wide variety of stylistic clothes due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Eva owns. Forever.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yessss! I'm glad to see that all the truly powerful people still give 0 fucks. :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just love Akamatsu's dialogue :allears:

"I could probably kill you, but then I would be easy pickings for those weak-rear end guys over there. Call it a draw?"
"Alright. You can leave."
"Wait, you're just going to let him go?"
"Who's going to stop him? You?"

Also Eva's Magia Erebea is pretty cool, this is the first time we've actually seen it if I'm not mistaken.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Somehow I didn't even realize this existed. I am not a very observant person.

Reading through the thread and learning about the circumstances behind Negima's ending, which I didn't know about, finally took the edge off it. Even two years later I was still pretty miffed about it whenever something reminded me of it.

Mikl posted:

Also Eva's Magia Erebea is pretty cool, this is the first time we've actually seen it if I'm not mistaken.

It's been years but she talked about growing strong enough that she didn't need to use her Magia Erebea, which she developed in the first place. I guess she's depowered enough to fall back to her old crutches.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Desuwa posted:

It's been years but she talked about growing strong enough that she didn't need to use her Magia Erebea, which she developed in the first place. I guess she's depowered enough to fall back to her old crutches.

Or Fate was a tough enough opponent she had to resort to it for once. It did specifically say he had gotten stronger over the years, plus he was in his natural element (lots of earth around him) until she changed that by turning everything to her natural element of ice.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Fate also basically says Eva's current state is weaker

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

Fate also basically says Eva's current state is weaker

Fate is also a prick, so probably not everything he says should be taken at face value. I look forward seeing how he's going to try to manipulate his questioners to his side of things next chapter.

Man, the wait each week is long.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

chumbler posted:

Fate is also a prick, so probably not everything he says should be taken at face value. I look forward seeing how he's going to try to manipulate his questioners to his side of things next chapter.

Man, the wait each week is long.

Thing is, Fate wasn't the first one to note that. Even Eva herself mentioned it before. I'm inclined to think it's true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eva got the poo poo kicked out of her when Touta's parents died. Whether she has weakened because of that event or if she only got beat up because she was already weakened is unclear.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Assuming Setsuna is gone, I wonder who Tsukuyomi is going to fixate on this time around. Karin or Kuroumaru seem the most likely options, but maybe we'll be thrown a curveball.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Assuming Setsuna is gone, I wonder who Tsukuyomi is going to fixate on this time around. Karin or Kuroumaru seem the most likely options, but maybe we'll be thrown a curveball.

Might be the robot guy. They've got stuff in common, and she was hitting on Fate just as much as Setsuna in the last series.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
New Chapter on Cruncyroll. Fate's answer to Karin's question :argh:Akamatsuuuuuu:argh:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
That... that chapter! That's really important!

Great manga. I'm a bit sad that next chapter will probably lower the tempo a bit.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The most obvious reason Fate would need Tota would be to use him as the new vessel for the Lifemaker, assuming Negi is the current one. The Lifemaker as Nagi was revived when Negi's blood was spilled in the Gravekeeper's Palace, so Fate could potentially want to seal the Lifemaker within Tota. However, I hope that's not it, because that would be lame and predictable. I expect better from Akamatsu. I'd like to believe that Fate wouldn't be that selfish, because he was fighting to save the world (his way) all the way back in Negima before he did a face-turn, and I think that it would be really out of character for him to sacrifice that just to save a friend. Hm. After typing that, it occurs to me that he might actually need Negi to save the world (again), and he's not doing it for entirely selfish reasons. Once more I will eagerly await next week!

If this means that we'll later get to see adult Negi, I'm all for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Skychrono posted:

That... that chapter! That's really important!

Great manga. I'm a bit sad that next chapter will probably lower the tempo a bit.

At the very least, Karin is no doubt going to get some ridiculous punishment or demotion from Eva for her question, which should be pretty funny. I'm betting she'll be forced to be Touta and Kuroumaru's roommate, since I think they had a vacant bunk and she's definitely going to be a standard team member.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

The most obvious reason Fate would need Tota would be to use him as the new vessel for the Lifemaker, assuming Negi is the current one. The Lifemaker as Nagi was revived when Negi's blood was spilled in the Gravekeeper's Palace, so Fate could potentially want to seal the Lifemaker within Tota. However, I hope that's not it, because that would be lame and predictable. I expect better from Akamatsu. I'd like to believe that Fate wouldn't be that selfish, because he was fighting to save the world (his way) all the way back in Negima before he did a face-turn, and I think that it would be really out of character for him to sacrifice that just to save a friend. Hm. After typing that, it occurs to me that he might actually need Negi to save the world (again), and he's not doing it for entirely selfish reasons. Once more I will eagerly await next week!

If this means that we'll later get to see adult Negi, I'm all for it.

It might be that the plan to save the magic world was still ongoing, and Negi is a key part of ensuring that it's complete. At least, we know Negi and Fate's partnership was only going to last as long as it took to make Mars a safe planet for the magic world to be transported to, so if that plan wasn't completed when Negi got into whatever trouble he's in now, I could see Fate making a concentrated effort to try to get him back.

However, that all hinges on how much of that plan is complete, how much is still left to finish, and how necessary Negi is to that final bit, which are all answers we don't know. I really wish Kirie was down there to ask a question cause just one more answer would have been really, really helpful!

Also WHO THE gently caress ARE TOTA'S PARENTS/WHY DID FATE NEED TO KILL THEM AAAGGGGHHHH :supaburn:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also WHO THE gently caress ARE TOTA'S PARENTS/WHY DID FATE NEED TO KILL THEM AAAGGGGHHHH :supaburn:

I'm speculating that Touta was conceived as a component of the plan and Negi/others ended up regretting the potential human cost and sought another way out.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Hey, I know it's a little late to be responding to this, but we did actually see Eva use Magia Erebea back in Negima. Chapter 342 and 343, when she was sparring with Negi and Asuna.

Same ability to cover everything in ice as well

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sure the circumstances are different, and in fact this has a good chance of being a bit of a red herring, but at first glance it's sort of dull that Fate's goal seems to be the exactly the same sort of thing as when he was a villain (the Cosmo Entelecheia thing). Basically save the population at some sort of expense that puts them at odds with the heroes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Is there any place to read this besides Crunchyroll? I've been trying to keep up, don't have an account there and I've been trying to keep up with this manga but it's hard to do so.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Not legally, no. You could buy the volumes as they come out, I guess?

That reminds me, have we started taking bets yet on when this weekly manga will become a bi-monthly work with long pauses for "research"?

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 16, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not going to begruge Ken that, he's good for it unlike Jump's dole abuser.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 16, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

HellCopter posted:

Not legally, no. You could but the volumes as they come out, I guess?

That reminds me, have we started taking bets yet on when this weekly manga will become a bi-monthly work with long pauses for "research"?

Given the content that he came out with after the big research breaks that I rememberSeriously, Mars?!, he can take as many vacations as he wants.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HellCopter posted:

Not legally, no. You could but the volumes as they come out, I guess?

I've seen at least the first volume for sale here in the US, so I might just do that, since i do have a bunch of Negima volumes already.

HellCopter posted:

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not going to begruge Ken that, he's good for it unlike Jump's dole abuser.

Robviously posted:

Given the content that he came out with after the big research breaks that I rememberSeriously, Mars?!, he can take as many vacations as he wants.

Yeah, I've been expecting this as well, but I really wouldn't mind, if it leads to more spectacular stuff. And it'll give me time to catch up with chapters...

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

GhostStalker posted:

Is there any place to read this besides Crunchyroll? I've been trying to keep up, don't have an account there and I've been trying to keep up with this manga but it's hard to do so.

Chapters come out (almost) every Tuesday, and you've got until the next chapter is published to read that one for free, so at long as you remember to check once a week you should usually be okay. Also, a Manga only membership is a whole 5 bucks a month.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

Chapters come out (almost) every Tuesday, and you've got until the next chapter is published to read that one for free, so at long as you remember to check once a week you should usually be okay. Also, a Manga only membership is a whole 5 bucks a month.

Huh, I didn't know that. That's actually really helpful. Thanks. Did notice a bunch of typos in the translation, which doesn't exactly bode well for an official translation, but I'm sure they'll get ironed out eventually.

Might look into getting a membership eventually, but not only for one series... Maybe in October, when my Jeopardy check gets in...

Now that I've actually read the chapter, I have more questions than answers... Nice tease with Karin asking about who Negi loved the most, and Fate dodging that question. Eva's reaction was pretty good, though.

The question of Touta's parents will continue to bug me... I have to assume that one of them (most likely the father) was the child of Konoka if the last name is any indication, so I wonder why we haven't seen more evidence of that.
Most likely Ken wants to reveal info about the post-Negi backstory sparingly to build up hype, and it's really working, at least for me...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't have much to say on this chapter that wasn't said already, but I have been rereading negima, and I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Negi defeats Takamichi in basically the exact same way he beats Rakan, 200+ chapters before.

He pretends to have shounen fight spirit, says he is going to end it all in one attack, gets Takamichi to charge up and use a big move, then deflects it, goes in for a quick hit, and uses delayed magic. I thought it was pretty great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was something I always liked about Negima. Nagi was the standard powerful idiot shounen hero, and people tended to act as though Negi was the same way. Instead, he used deception and innovation without explaining to his opponents exactly how his powers worked. Even later on when he sometimes had an overwhelming power advantage, he still fought smart. UQH continues that tradition, sort of. When Touta could stop to explain how his sword works, he instead spends that time trying to knock someone's teeth in. That is, while Touta isn't particularly clever he still understands how to fight intelligently.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima also made a point of having Negi's main power be his negative/dark aspects, contrasting with his father as the more typical style of hero. I remember really liking the chapter(s) where he's forced by Rakan to choose between the two styles and coming to the conclusion that Evangeline suited him much more.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Negima also made a point of having Negi's main power be his negative/dark aspects, contrasting with his father as the more typical style of hero. I remember really liking the chapter(s) where he's forced by Rakan to choose between the two styles and coming to the conclusion that Evangeline suited him much more.

I legit was blown away by the resolution of that because it felt so antithetical to what Negi was in the eyes of the other characters. Everyone around him held him up as this shining ideal, Chisame aside being the only one to really acknowledge he was a loving kid, and there he was picking what was, for all intent and purpose, the bad guy's route.

Akamatsu really seemed to have an interesting take on the shonen genre in general because of how savvy he seemed to be with the tropes and cliches of the genre. There was no easy solution, more power didn't actually solve anything, and the end game of it all only put greater responsibilities on his shoulder. The fact about Nagi turned out to basically be just a goofy dude with the right friends instead of this super awesome mage was one of the highlights of the series for me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Robviously posted:

I legit was blown away by the resolution of that because it felt so antithetical to what Negi was in the eyes of the other characters. Everyone around him held him up as this shining ideal, Chisame aside being the only one to really acknowledge he was a loving kid, and there he was picking what was, for all intent and purpose, the bad guy's route.

Akamatsu really seemed to have an interesting take on the shonen genre in general because of how savvy he seemed to be with the tropes and cliches of the genre. There was no easy solution, more power didn't actually solve anything, and the end game of it all only put greater responsibilities on his shoulder. The fact about Nagi turned out to basically be just a goofy dude with the right friends instead of this super awesome mage was one of the highlights of the series for me.

I also like how in Negima and UQ it's just outright stated that the big pressing threat is not an immediate rather than OH GOD THE WORLD IS GOING TO EXPLODE IN ONE HOUR (going on 3 years). In Negima the big problem was that the magic world was unsustainable as it was presently operating, which would start to become a major problem in 100 years, but not next week. And even then it's known from Chao that it's not like everyone would just up and die, but there would be a lot more conflicts due to scarcity and other factors. The solution doesn't end up being "Beat bad guy, problem solved", but something that requires global effort and cooperation, new technology, and acceptance of a fact that could potentially cause even more conflict (existence of magic, demons, etc.) So essentially Negima is an allegory for climate change. UQ is then clearly going to be an allegory for income and wealth inequality.

Edit: I almost kind of wonder if in Negima Akamatsu made so many of the Fate faction's members assholes just to paint them more clearly as the bad guys, since while their solution was basically to kill everybody, it was prettied up enough that it wasn't totally reprehensible. Especially considering they had pretty much the closest thing in-universe to a god helping them take everyone to a farm up north to play all day. In terms of minimizing future conflict, theirs was the correct decision. It just happened to also be genocide.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 16, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Robviously posted:

I agree with part of this. It was an awesome path to take, but it's not really the bad guys route. People are motivated by negative feelings all the time, all Magia Erebea is is taking in everything, and in the process accepting everthing.

In my mind, Magia Erebea is a metaphor for growing up. Negi starts off as an idealistic kid with a traumatizing past. He acts like an adult in some ways, but he still looks at things from a child's point of view. As the series goes on and Negi gains more experience, he starts to question his ideals and if what he's telling himself is really the truth. He struggles with his responsiblities (to the class) and his drive (to find Nagi), and stops moving forward. But then he meets Rakan and tries to learn Magia Erebea, which forces him to grow up a little. As he continues to rely on it, he starts to become consumed by his negative emotions, but instead of pretending he doesn't have those feelings like he did before, he instead accepts that they're a part of him, and is able to grow stronger. He accepts his "dark side", but he doesn't give up on the ideals that make him who he is. He decides that unrealistic as his dreams may be, he'll continue working until he reaches them and can be assured that he has done his best, whether or not other people agree with his methods. He becomes an adult in the sense that he is willing to take the good with the bad, and acknowledge that all he can do is be the greatest him he can be, and that he's ready to accept the consequences of his actions. This growth is thanks to the ones close to him, who showed him that he doesn't need to do everything on his own, and that it's okay to rely on others when you need help.

Am I reading too much into this? Sorry for :words: :shobon:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kind of wonder just how old Negi was by the end of Negima, what with all of the hyperbolic time chamber stuff. One extra year is a given, but it may have been as much as two or even three if you include the time he mentally inhabited Eva's scroll.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Silento posted:

I agree with part of this. It was an awesome path to take, but it's not really the bad guys route. People are motivated by negative feelings all the time, all Magia Erebea is is taking in everything, and in the process accepting everthing.

In my mind, Magia Erebea is a metaphor for growing up. Negi starts off as an idealistic kid with a traumatizing past. He acts like an adult in some ways, but he still looks at things from a child's point of view. As the series goes on and Negi gains more experience, he starts to question his ideals and if what he's telling himself is really the truth. He struggles with his responsiblities (to the class) and his drive (to find Nagi), and stops moving forward. But then he meets Rakan and tries to learn Magia Erebea, which forces him to grow up a little. As he continues to rely on it, he starts to become consumed by his negative emotions, but instead of pretending he doesn't have those feelings like he did before, he instead accepts that they're a part of him, and is able to grow stronger. He accepts his "dark side", but he doesn't give up on the ideals that make him who he is. He decides that unrealistic as his dreams may be, he'll continue working until he reaches them and can be assured that he has done his best, whether or not other people agree with his methods. He becomes an adult in the sense that he is willing to take the good with the bad, and acknowledge that all he can do is be the greatest him he can be, and that he's ready to accept the consequences of his actions. This growth is thanks to the ones close to him, who showed him that he doesn't need to do everything on his own, and that it's okay to rely on others when you need help.

Am I reading too much into this? Sorry for :words: :shobon:

I think you're spot on and I misspoke by using the bad guys phrasing. It was obvious that Magia Erebea was not the shining hero path. The fact that he chose to use his negative emotions as the catalyst to move forward, with the knowledge that it could take over at any moment, was a giant middle finger to the idea that Negi was a white knight if you will. I think that you hit the nail on the head because that choice does force him to grow up and think about his place in the world and how he could best fit into it. I feel that it was the moment where he first realized that he didn't actually need to be his father to chase after his father. Up until that point I think that the idealized vision of his father as a hero kept the blinders on him to what the world at large was. Takamichi, for better or for worse, gave Negi a sterling impression of his father and his comrades; due to his own demons and regrets from his master's way of life. In an odd way, Alberio was a hint of what was to come. Giving Negi a glimpse of his father in a structured setting helped strengthen his bonds to the rest of his classmates. Rakan blew the doors wide open and really helped Negi realize how big the world around him was.

It's really cool that I see a lot of Rakan in how Fate is treating Touta right now. He's acknowledging them even when he obviously could have left at any time while helping push Touta to a higher purpose. His goal is odd and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually ends up filling Eva's role in this series as another super-powerful enemy-turned-ally.

Phone edit: To think that we would be writing any of this kind of introspection of a harem/battle manga is completely :psyduck: given what most people assume is Akamatsu's manga tendencies and prior fan service quotient.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 16, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Robviously posted:

Phone edit: To think that we would be writing any of this kind of introspection of a harem/battle manga is completely :psyduck: given what most people assume is Akamatsu's manga tendencies and prior fan service quotient.

To be fair, even as early as Love Hina he had characters actually developing over time. It's undeniable that Keitaro at least grows the gently caress up over the course of the series. I mean I'd never call any of his series great or deep literature, but Akamatsu is good at what he does.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Albiero-Nagi, explicitly tells Negi "You aren't me. you don't need to chase me. You're your own person. Grow to be you." It doesn't take, but that's a really pretty early representation of what Negi grows up from, when he decides to learn Magica Erebea. He finally accepts that he's going his own way, instead of trying to be his father. It's a very long and drawn out plot arc of his growth, that I think worked really well.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

To be fair, even as early as Love Hina he had characters actually developing over time. It's undeniable that Keitaro at least grows the gently caress up over the course of the series. I mean I'd never call any of his series great or deep literature, but Akamatsu is good at what he does.

Considering how often it comes up, I guess I should probably read Love Hina. And reread Negima. gently caress, I think I'll just read Akamatsu's career, that shouldn't take more than a weekend right?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Considering how often it comes up, I guess I should probably read Love Hina. And reread Negima. gently caress, I think I'll just read Akamatsu's career, that shouldn't take more than a weekend right?

If you want to get the most out of UQ Holder, read Negima. Love Hina is interesting to read because it you get the glimpses of what eventually becomes Negima in Makoto's Shinmeiryuu studies and some of the strangeness of the world. All in all, he's a really competent writer that just happened to hit it with a harem manga. Love Hina isn't necessary but it's a good read, imho, and doesn't take all too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatansBestBuddy posted:

AI Love You is not that great and his art was still fairly rough back then.

• Locked thread