Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Aren't Stone/Parker like ICP in that they're fans of wrestling and probably would have let their stuff be used for free or nearly free if asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

What happened to Thunderlips?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DrVenkman posted:

I'm not sure what the crossover rate is between WWE and Psych but by god they were keen to explore it.

I think the crossover was "James Roday thinks wrestling is awesome".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

What happened to Thunderlips?

I think he had a brief run in the WWE under a hood as Mr America.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Happyman posted:

That episode was in like 2006

So by February of next year, Vince will have heard about it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Happyman posted:

That episode was in like 2006

2009 actually. I just rewatched and it had some decent jokes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kennel posted:

2009 actually. I just rewatched and it had some decent jokes.

When Cartman came out the first time there was a WELCOME BACK RHINO sign in the crowd shot

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Since we're having a worst commentator's thread, I thought I'd pop in the ask for some opinions: what made Michael Cole and currently makes JBL fail as Heel Commentators? Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were so incredible, and it's hard for me to quantify exactly what Cole and JBL do that so totally fumbles the blueprint they set out.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Cole was just absolutely grating. Not only that, he was actively harmful for the product. There were times, such as during Divas' matches, where he would tacitly dicuss what a waste of time the match was. As a viewer you were left wondering why the gently caress you were wasting your time watching this if even announcers can't be bothered to care.

Ventura and Heenan were still excited about what they were watching. They never made you feel stupid for watching it. They'd insult the faces and cheer the heels, but they never insulted wrestling itself.

JBL is just an over exuberant drunken uncle trying too hard to be cool.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Since we're having a worst commentator's thread, I thought I'd pop in the ask for some opinions: what made Michael Cole and currently makes JBL fail as Heel Commentators? Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were so incredible, and it's hard for me to quantify exactly what Cole and JBL do that so totally fumbles the blueprint they set out.

Bobby or Jess: <Ridiculous heel tirade>
Gorilla: Would you stop!
Both announcers: <move on to a different topic>

JBL: <Ridiculous heel tirade>
Cole: Oh, come on!
JBL: <Berates Cole for five minutes>

It's insufferable and the #1 worst thing about the commentary right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

Ventura is an irredeemable shithead in real life so when he is allowed to just be a jerk he's a natural. Heenan is someone with tremendous comedic timing who got along extremely well with his partner. It was also a gimmick that hadn't been done much before Ventura and Heenan so they didn't come off as second rate. Most fans probably hadn't seen a heel announcer before. JBL has also drifted from what made his original announcing run good, back then he had what he liked and hated and was consistent about it, now he just says whatever he's being told to say and it has no internal consistency. Cole was really entertaining at first because he was allowed to poo poo on everything, and then people realized that it's actually terrible when someone shits on everything.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Cole tries too hard when he's heel, like REALLY too hard like his infamous 2011 heel run (which anyone should watch to see heel Cole at his worst). He would savagely trash faces and praise heels with absolutely no subtlty (like standing on-top of the table, applauding, when The Miz would come out during his title run) or wit like good heel commentators have historically done. It just got to be too much and was absolutely aggravating because he wouldn't let it up for a bit.

It's kind of funny because back in the Attitude Era people hated Cole for being too milquetoast and having stock phrases and we got to see what happens when he does a character.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the difference is that JBL is an idiot

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The current commentary teams all have Vince and/or Kevin Dunn screaming bullshit in their headsets non-stop, whereas Bobby and Gorilla's commentary was more freeform.

Also Michael Cole and JBL really suck at commentary and should stop. Cole being a myna bird for whatever stupid thing Vince thinks is important shouldn't be confused for genuine broadcasting talent.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
One annoying thing from the 80s and 90s teams is that Heenan or Ventura would make some wild claim as bait for a response from Vince or Gorilla, and they would just get stonewalled. Happened all the time.

Ventura would also point out hypocrisy with faces bending the rules which would have very easy responses and got the same lack of response.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
Last I came by, I had asked about the categorizations of all of WWE unofficial "eras" since WWE has absolutely confirmed or at least recognized a "golden era", "attitude era" and "ruthless aggression era".

But this question focuses on the Ruthless Aggression Era, which I was interested in seeing WWE reference directly because I had always thought that it was Chris Benoit who originated (or at least popularized) the term, "toothless aggression" notwithstanding. Maybe Angle had used it too? I don't remember that well, but with WWE passionately unpersoning Benoit, that throws me for a loop until I get corrected.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've grown to kind of like JBL as a commentator. He's just such a cornball it makes me laugh.

I think if they retire King and let Cole/JBL have more control over the commentary, it would make a huge positive impact.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Amy Renee posted:

Last I came by, I had asked about the categorizations of all of WWE unofficial "eras" since WWE has absolutely confirmed or at least recognized a "golden era", "attitude era" and "ruthless aggression era".

But this question focuses on the Ruthless Aggression Era, which I was interested in seeing WWE reference directly because I had always thought that it was Chris Benoit who originated (or at least popularized) the term, "toothless aggression" notwithstanding. Maybe Angle had used it too? I don't remember that well, but with WWE passionately unpersoning Benoit, that throws me for a loop until I get corrected.

I'm almost entirely certain "Toothless Aggression" was just a play on the pre-existing "Ruthless Aggression" line that Vince tried so hard to get the audience to run with, and not the other way around.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Amy Renee posted:

Unless I'm misremembering something, Vince originated the term Ruthless Aggression. He gave a big speech the night they killed the NWO because Kevin Nash got injured within weeks of Scott Hall being fired and I believe Hogan was also kayfabe fired because he was getting ready to return as Mr. America. He used the disbanding of the NWO as a sign that a new era had dawned and that with the Old Guard gone (I think Stone Cold was also in Take His Ball And Went Home mode at this point) now was the time to rise up and prove yourself.

That same week John Cena and Deacon Batista had their first matches on Smackdown

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

Fair enough, Austin taking his ball and going home is about the time I tuned out till 2010.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Cole was just absolutely grating. Not only that, he was actively harmful for the product. There were times, such as during Divas' matches, where he would tacitly dicuss what a waste of time the match was. As a viewer you were left wondering why the gently caress you were wasting your time watching this if even announcers can't be bothered to care.

Yeah, in entertainment, you NEVER poo poo on your own product, or your other performers. Playing an annoying shithead character is one thing, actively sabotaging the product is another. He literally made me stop watching mid-Raw sometimes, which is the opposite of what you want in any form of television or entertainment in general. I didn't even care when he got his comeuppance because I just wanted the angle to stop.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I loved the Tazz/Cole commentary on SmackDown, even more than the Lawler/JR combination on Raw. But then, I've always hated Lawler and considered it a blessing to not have to hear his shrieking or getting obsessed about puppies whenever a Diva was near a camera.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember thinking that Tazz/Cole was a pretty good combo, though according to Heyman (so take it with a huge grain of salt), he would have them redo all their commentary a day or so after filming was done so there was no dead air and all the big points he wanted to get across were being said (and also I think because Vince wouldn't be around at the time to stick his oar in).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Sanguinia posted:

Gorilla, Heenan and Ventura probably didn't have Vince (and later Dunn) in their ears. I thought Vince was an okay announcer as well, back in the day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vince's strength as an announcer was he knew where every storyline was going so he could shape his commentary around that. His weaknesses were the other parts of it. If the match was going somewhere he could be pretty good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Vince's strength as an announcer was he knew where every storyline was going so he could shape his commentary around that. His weaknesses were the other parts of it. If the match was going somewhere he could be pretty good.

On the positive side he also had a great voice for it.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Thauros posted:

On the positive side he also had a great voice for it.

See if you can find that In Your House where Santa Claus turned on Savio Vega at the behest of Ted Dibiase. Vince screaming "THAT'S NOT SANTA CLAUS! THAT'S NOT THE -REAL- SANTA CLAUS!!!" while Lawler makes his weird laugh noises is a beautiful moment.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ventura on that Old School Raw from a few years back was still a better announcer than any of the current chucklefucks.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ventura put over the face talent as a heel commentator, which JBL rarely does and heel Cole NEVER did. At MitB 2011 Cole just screamed NERRRRD whenever focus shifted to Bryan. Ventura would've objected to made-up unfair advantages but would also talk up ability and heart, etc etc. I was watching a steamboat/macho man bout the other day and that's basically what Ventura did, praise Steamboat while fearmongering about how unsafe his striking style was.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Amy Renee posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I loved the Tazz/Cole commentary on SmackDown, even more than the Lawler/JR combination on Raw. But then, I've always hated Lawler and considered it a blessing to not have to hear his shrieking or getting obsessed about puppies whenever a Diva was near a camera.

I thought Tazz/Cole was fun. For one thing, it sounded like they were actually enjoying the show they were commentating on. Tazz brought a wrestler's perspective to the booth, which was nice. They'd crack little jokes here and there, but it never detracted. They were like what would happen if Monsoon and Heenen got along.

Josh and Tazz had some great moments too.

"You hate the solar system, don't you, Tazz?"

"I can't STAND the solar system!"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Angular Landbury posted:

See if you can find that In Your House where Santa Claus turned on Savio Vega at the behest of Ted Dibiase. Vince screaming "THAT'S NOT SANTA CLAUS! THAT'S NOT THE -REAL- SANTA CLAUS!!!" while Lawler makes his weird laugh noises is a beautiful moment.

My favorite over the top Vince was early in Salvatore Sincere's run. "He calls himself Salvatore Sincere...AND I DON'T THINK HE'S VERY SINCERE AT ALL!" Vince sounded so mad and upset. It was glorious.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ventura put over the face talent as a heel commentator, which JBL rarely does and heel Cole NEVER did. At MitB 2011 Cole just screamed NERRRRD whenever focus shifted to Bryan. Ventura would've objected to made-up unfair advantages but would also talk up ability and heart, etc etc. I was watching a steamboat/macho man bout the other day and that's basically what Ventura did, praise Steamboat while fearmongering about how unsafe his striking style was.

wasn't Mark Henry pretty good for this, too, that time he was in the booth?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LvK posted:

wasn't Mark Henry pretty good for this, too, that time he was in the booth?

Mark Henry was great because he would talk up everybody in the ring but clarify that he would still destroy them.

and also because he didn't put up with commentary's usual bullshit. He was furious when Michael Cole would ask him stupid questions.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

as bad as commentary is now that period with heel cole is some of the worst poo poo. It had some funny moments but he would never shut up.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Vince wasn't a petty man who held stupid grudges and spited his talent for aging, we could have had JR and Ventura as lead commentators for the past decade.

Such a waste.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Vince has the weirdest announcing voice. I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so different from the way anyone would actually talk, especially his own speaking voice.

It's like he raises the pitch of his voice and kind of yells but without really making his voice louder.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

triplexpac posted:

Vince has the weirdest announcing voice. I don't even know how to describe it, it's just so different from the way anyone would actually talk, especially his own speaking voice.

It's like he raises the pitch of his voice and kind of yells but without really making his voice louder.

Thanks to the Network I've been binging on the old school (and "Old School") stuff, and it's interesting to watch Vince's evolution as an announcer. He goes from being a subdued, barely calling the action play-by-play guy in the early days, to the yell-talking of SNME, to " WELCOME TOOOO MONDAY NIGHT HHHHRRRAAAWWWW. YYYEEEAAHHH"

Speaking of Saturday Night's Main Event, what the hell was with Hogan biting his stupid headband/bandana thing all the time? It's also weird to see the championship match on first or second instead of last, but I guess they wanted it on when the most people would be watching.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Static Rook posted:

Speaking of Saturday Night's Main Event, what the hell was with Hogan biting his stupid headband/bandana thing all the time? It's also weird to see the championship match on first or second instead of last, but I guess they wanted it on when the most people would be watching.

Yeah, don't forget these were on in the SNL timeslot (11:30-1am), so like with SNL many people don't make it all the way to the end. That's why they put the most important stuff in the first 30-45 minutes.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Static Rook posted:

Speaking of Saturday Night's Main Event, what the hell was with Hogan biting his stupid headband/bandana thing all the time?

Hogan with the bugged eyes and biting he headband was usually a pretty good indicator of how recently he had done a line of cocaine.

Also, Tazz was a great announcer in WWE, Lawler has always been awful, and Michael Cole is unbearable. Listen to him call the final minute of Bryan winning the title at WM30. He just yells everything twice in an attempt to feign emotion. Once you notice it, it's extremely jarring and almost ruins the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

He announced like he was constantly caught of guard during a yawn.