Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Is Remender still writing the Sam Wilson Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'd actually recommend watching the film first. Though the book is totally worth reading, as well.

A very tempting proposition that I will consider. My track record for reading novels after films is not great.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Zogo posted:

A very tempting proposition that I will consider. My track record for reading novels after films is not great.

Or you could read the original short story (I think it was called CRASH!), then watch the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vargo posted:

I hope this transfers into the movies.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Spatula City posted:

Bone is incredible and everyone should read it. :colbert:

Bone is weird as there's a constant tension between the character design and the setting. I wonder how much of that was intended up front and how much evolved as the story unfolded.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I liked Bone better when it was more Looney Tunes and less LoTR.

Don't get me wrong, its all worth reading. But still.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tokyo Drifter is so loving good you guys.

E: Manhunter is also dope as gently caress.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

I Before E posted:

Tokyo Drifter is so loving good you guys.

E: Manhunter is also dope as gently caress.

I found Tokyo Drifter really exhausting at a certain point, but that might just be because it was my first exposure to Suzuki Seijun. It's visuals are undeniably incredible. Branded to Kill is a better movie though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I found Tokyo Drifter really exhausting at a certain point, but that might just be because it was my first exposure to Suzuki Seijun. It's visuals are undeniably incredible. Branded to Kill is a better movie though.

I agree the kid from Sling Blade isn't a very strong lead but Han was cool.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think it wasn't until the part where the bosses are talking about killing Tetsu in that blindingly magenta room that I was absolutely hooked. The big climax is on a whole different level in terms of impressive visuals, though. Goddamn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Criminal Minded posted:

Anybody here have a MUBI account? How's the streaming quality? Can I stream through my PS3?

I use it and the video quality is generally pretty good. For newer and higher-profile stuff they sometimes have 720p video, but it's usually DVD-quality at the very least. There is a dedicated PS3 app for it, actually, but I haven't used it myself. And actually just checking on it, that app isn't available in the US anyway.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vargo posted:

Yep.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just saw this and laughed so hard I nearly choked:

Also, in uploading this to imgur, I noticed that imgur just changed their site layout!

e: Oh yeah, and this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkGluLhnGU
:stonk:

In fact, I should probably :nms: this.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is anyone else getting really, really sick of Frozen poo poo being everywhere?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. I feel like whatever boat that movie was supposed to be on, I missed it a long, long time ago. If I watch it now, I'll probably hate it. I saw half of it, and it was good, but nothing super engaging. I feel bad when I read Badass Digest, a site that is pretty much almost always running stories about women and how they are portrayed in films, gushing over Frozen and The Hunger Games being game changers and I just feel totally disinterested in them. Katniss is a good character...but she's literally the only thing I enjoy about those movies. Eh.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's a fad. Just give it time. It'll pass, but not before everyone has exploited it in every way imaginable.

(Real talk though, I thought that movie was pretty good :shobon: Not the end-all be-all Disney movie some people see it as, but still good.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Frozen is really mediocre, but is saved by the stunning animation and a few catchy songs. Kind of sad The Princess and the Frog didn't get nearly as much love since it's a near perfect story (and has the great animation and songs to boot).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Frozen is really mediocre, but is saved by the stunning animation and a few catchy songs. Kind of sad The Princess and the Frog didn't get nearly as much love since it's a near perfect story (and has the great animation and songs to boot).

Princess and the Frog was good but is it that much a surprise? I'll throw the racial undercurrent bomb of Frozen being pushed harder.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

CelticPredator posted:

I hope this transfers into the movies.

Yes! While I'm in love with the casting of Evans as Steve Rogers, I reeeeaaaally want to see Anthony Mackie as Captain America. I need it!

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

Edit: double post

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Scenecore "Let it Go"

When people ask me my least favorite genre of music I usually say modern country, but I keep forgetting about this poo poo. The combination of Cookie Monster vocals and nasally emo voice on top of super generic double bass stomps is the absolute worst thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Bone is incredible and everyone should read it. :colbert:
I'd really love to see Dean DeBlois direct a Bone film. But instead, this is the guy who was last connected to the project.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

X-Ray Pecs, feel free to PM me if you want me to list all kinds of other crap you might like because it seems like we have similar taste.

Thanks! You guys have given me plenty to work through for the moment, but I might take you up on this in the future.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Or you could read the original short story (I think it was called CRASH!), then watch the film.

Be sure to throw Warm Leatherette somewhere in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've been sick of it for months now. The third time you see someone post about an EPIC FROZEN PHOTOBOMB on Facebook, you'll realize how tired you are of something you've never seen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TwistedLadder posted:

Yes! While I'm in love with the casting of Evans as Steve Rogers, I reeeeaaaally want to see Anthony Mackie as Captain America. I need it!

I'd rather see Vic Mackie as Captain America.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've been sick of it for months now. The third time you see someone post about an EPIC FROZEN PHOTOBOMB on Facebook, you'll realize how tired you are of something you've never seen.

It's unfortunate that some people will probably (understandably) never watch Frozen now that they've had its marketing crammed down their throats, because I think the subtext is brilliant and deftly handled. It also made me love something I was certain I was going to hate: Olaf the snowman looks punchable as hell, but turns out to be a great source of dark comedy (well, dark for a kid's movie, anyway).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You people think you're sick of Frozen? Hahaha you have no idea! I have a 5 year old daughter. I loving breathe Frozen's foul odor! Let it Go is the most played song on my phone. I waited in a line at the Disney store in the mall surrounded by houswives to buy Frozen Barbie dolls. I've drawn more pictures of Olaf than I can count. In fact just reading other people talk about it is making me hear songs in my head. No. I do not want to build a Snowman!

Honestly though it's not that bad. As a film. I like it ok. I just want a break from it.

Also unrelated. Female Thor. Black Captain America. Anybody think they're doing this so they can change actors in the movies if they get too uppity? Maybe that's a little :tinfoil:

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 17, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gatts posted:

Princess and the Frog was good but is it that much a surprise? I'll throw the racial undercurrent bomb of Frozen being pushed harder.

It was neat to have a more socially progressive film, not to mention put the entire Disney Princess cliche turned on its head.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Theoretical question: let's say you'd started dating someone who had recently had an autobiography published. Do you get a copy and read it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I didn't know Hillary was dating

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Anyone who does an autobiography before age 35 is either nuts, or admitting they plan to do nothing more with their life.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think I've mentioned this the last time we were talking about Frozen, but anyone who enjoys animated films should check out the 1957 soviet version of The Snow Queen, which is a more straightforward adaptation of Andersen's fairy tale and strongly inspired the young Hayako Miyazaki.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A friend and I have been discussing how movies age and whether or not they “hold up” after a period of time.

We’re at an impasse – he thinks “Smokey and the Bandit” is passé and clichéd, while I think it’s the best drat “American” comedy every made. Beer, fast cars, and Sally Field. Doesn’t get more American than that. I could show that movie to nearly anyone in the world and I bet they’d enjoy the heck out it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

Theoretical question: let's say you'd started dating someone who had recently had an autobiography published. Do you get a copy and read it?

Hell yes.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Noxville posted:

Yes, and especially when they are in the room. Then you laugh and giggle the whole time. When they ask you what part you just read, you just wave your hands in the hair and say nothing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FishBulb posted:

Disney princess nightmare

That's it, my child is never seeing a Disney movie ever. Just Ghostbusters and Westworld, like their dad. My kid's gonna be dope.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's it, my child is never seeing a Disney movie ever. Just Ghostbusters and Westworld, like their dad. My kid's gonna be dope.

She's actually really kind of a tomboy. She loves Star Wars and had no interest in the other Disney princess movies. She just really likes Frozen. I was hoping something else would come along by now but it's been kinda dire for kids movies lately.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I saw Frozen with my sister, then went on a date with a girl where I pretended I hadn't seen it before. I liked it enough to see it twice since it's so drat pretty. That being said, how it became this huge thing is kind of beyond me. It's good, but I don't understand how huge fandoms and stuff can emerge from one 90 minute movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SRM posted:

I saw Frozen with my sister, then went on a date with a girl where I pretended I hadn't seen it before. I liked it enough to see it twice since it's so drat pretty. That being said, how it became this huge thing is kind of beyond me. It's good, but I don't understand how huge fandoms and stuff can emerge from one 90 minute movie.

This has always happened. I can guarantee you people flipped their poo poo just as much about Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast and all that stuff, there just wasn't a Youtube for people to post their song covers and a Facebook for them to post cosplay pictures all over the internet. If a fandom doesn't have their own Tumblr, do they make a sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Frozen was about as good as a Disney princess movie could be but it is a genre that I don't have much interest in and that song with the trolls or whatever was godawful.

• Locked thread