Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Abisteen posted:

Well, thanks for the prodding guys! I went ahead and played my first competitive match.

That was... Pretty easy.

Enjoy it while it lasts. In just a few more matches you'll be having your face rubbed in the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

poor G.I. Jew getting stomped :smith:

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts. In just a few more matches you'll be having your face rubbed in the dirt.

Not really, unless the MM overshots a bit and places you a bit too high. That will sort itself out by a couple of defeats and you'll be placed with people very close to your skill level. If you solo queue, as opposed to premades with a wide range of ranks, you'll get a lot of very close matches. The elo system does its job remarkably well. Thats why all the pussies get ladder anxiety and start smurfing :smugdog:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Abisteen posted:

Well, thanks for the prodding guys! I went ahead and played my first competitive match.

That was... Pretty easy.

Why didn't you take that screenshot after ranks were revealed?

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Abisteen posted:

What are the skill levels like in your first couple of competitive MM games? I've been playing off and on very casually since before 1.6 but never really played the straight up 5v5 matches. I played on lots of larger servers where single players didn't usually determine a whole lot. In GO casual I am normally within the top 2 or 3 overall in score if I am in the match from start to finish. I am just wondering if I should expect to roll my first game or two or if it starts you in the middle like with Novas where I might not be up to that skill level at this time.

I played bunch of cs 1.6 back in the day and I just picked up cs go about month ago. I won all the first 10 games ( playing with bunch of silvers and it was easy ) and I was almost always the top player with most mvp stars. I got placed in Silver Elite after first 10 games. I'm now on 40 wins and gold nova 3 ranked. So , i think first 20 or so wins are going to be with silver players and you shouldn't have a lot of problems with those games.But be prepared to hear some of the most obnoxious people and sounds ever.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Salt Fish posted:

Why didn't you take that screenshot after ranks were revealed?

I meant to. The only three with ranks were all silver 3. I wasn't trying to be impressive or anything. I've just always had to fight anxiety when it comes to team based stuff like that and was convinced I would be the lowest rank possible and would just be rolled over again and again. I was just happy it didn't happen that way is all. :shobon:

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Deranged M posted:

I played bunch of cs 1.6 back in the day and I just picked up cs go about month ago. I won all the first 10 games ( playing with bunch of silvers and it was easy ) and I was almost always the top player with most mvp stars. I got placed in Silver Elite after first 10 games. I'm now on 40 wins and gold nova 3 ranked. So , i think first 20 or so wins are going to be with silver players and you shouldn't have a lot of problems with those games.But be prepared to hear some of the most obnoxious people and sounds ever.

No way you won all 10 games in a row and got placed in the silvers.

Just for comparison, I won 10/13 games on a smurf and got LEM. I was playing against badges by my 7th win.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 17, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Apogee15 posted:

Just for comparison, I won 10/13 games on a smurf and got LEM. I was playing against badges by my 7th win.

Winning isn't as important as your k/d. If you go 40-10 you're going to find yourself in a tough game quickly. If you go 15-15 and barely win the game your next game is going to be pretty similar.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Deranged M posted:

i think first 20 or so wins are going to be with silver players

God damnit- RANKING DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY.

If you play at global elite level you will bottle rocket up there in a handful of matches. If you rank up it means you are playing better. More matches does absolutely nothing for your rank by itself.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Salt Fish posted:

Winning isn't as important as your k/d.

Wrong overall. Don't know about the first 10 wins though.

If you win your 10 in a row you'll be placed around LEM.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
MM rank isn't actually determined by win/loss or k/d. It's the percentage of people that report you to overwatch for hacking after the match. If you get enough you go up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mcvey posted:

Wrong overall. Don't know about the first 10 wins though.

If you win your 10 in a row you'll be placed around LEM.

I play with a team of 5 people in competitive. I never play without that team of 5 people and neither do they. We are all very different ranks even with identical win/loss/tie ratios. Explain that with your so called logic heh

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Salt Fish posted:

I play with a team of 5 people in competitive. I never play without that team of 5 people and neither do they. We are all very different ranks even with identical win/loss/tie ratios. Explain that with your so called logic heh
How many wins?

afaik wins are the most important thing when it comes to ranks.

e: there were a couple of experiments with people trying to figure out the elo system, I'll see if I can dig them up.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 17, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mcvey posted:

How many wins?

afaik wins are the most important thing when it comes to ranks.

e: there were a couple of experiments with people trying to figure out the elo system, I'll see if I can dig them up.

I have like 400 wins.

edit: also you can get downranked on a win and upranked on a loss.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

This only happens if you have past games nullified due to hacking, AFAIK.

It's not 100% clear if it looks at K/D but if it does it's a really dumb move.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Salt Fish posted:

Your friends are cheating on you with pubbies and you should probably sever.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Salt Fish posted:

I have like 400 wins.

So you have played roughly 800 games with the same 4 people? :what:

Also I've heard of ranking up on ties but not what you described, if it's recent it might be from Valves nullification of games played with cheaters.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bpower posted:

Not really, unless the MM overshots a bit and places you a bit too high. That will sort itself out by a couple of defeats and you'll be placed with people very close to your skill level. If you solo queue, as opposed to premades with a wide range of ranks, you'll get a lot of very close matches. The elo system does its job remarkably well. Thats why all the pussies get ladder anxiety and start smurfing :smugdog:

I wish MMR would compensate harder for me, I'm still dealing with full teams of double AKs 10 games after being talked into doing my first placement matches with goons. I just want to not be bottom of the scoreboard every single match, please valve why

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Hey man every ship needs an anchor, embrace it.

My natural anchor tenancies are getting out of control. Last night I started a game 7-1 after 3 rounds but managed to make my way to the bottom at 14-20ish by the end :downs:

Stumbletron fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 17, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

nvmd, I don't actually know that what I said is true.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 17, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
[GAMEPLAY]

- Fixed the bullet penetration system not penetrating static GRATE surfaces (fences) and brushes that are NODRAW on both sides (for example, the ladder in Cache).

[MIRAGE]

- Fixed upper shutters in kitchen having a NODRAW face inside that wall that prevented wallbanging from one direction (bottom wood is unchanged).
- Clipped a part behind van to prevent bomb from getting stuck.
- Thinned B "bench" wall a bit to allow more damage to penetrate.
- Clipped windows in palace so you can't jump into them.

[OVERPASS]

- The bank side door has been opened to reveal a new path into A.
- The back A stairs have been flipped to enter nearer to the bomb plant zone.
- A site has been opened up, the APC has been moved back and a new box has fallen off of the semi.
- "Quickfall" palettes have been added to the bottom of ladder on T-side tunnels to allow for quick decent (ala Nuke).
- The flower box at the CT sniper spot at Long A is now higher.
- The connector tunnels have become more spacious.
- One of the windows in Connector Tunnels has been opened up (for possibilities...).
- Removed shelf in sniper nest above A to allow grenade damage through.
- Stomped some flowers in the box outside bathrooms leading to A because they got in the way of an important sight-line.
- Added a light to the bathroom connector to Long A. This improves visibility of players looking from mid connector.
- Fixed the steam pipes on connector to no longer leak steam.
- Clipped a few more areas to smooth movement and cleaned up nav mesh.
- Updated radar image.
- Thanks to iBP steel and c0tt0n

[COBBLESTONE]

- Removed OP flower pot at back of B.
- Added a lip at the top of main B entrance to provide more cover to T team.
- Slightly extended large planter by B entrance to close a thin sight line from back of B to side door.
- Drop-down to alternative B entrance has been widened to allow a better view of the room below.
- Drop-down room roof beams have been moved further away from the stairs.
- Roof of alternative B entrance has been opened up for additional grenade throws.
- Locations where the bomb could be dropped out of players' reach have been clipped off.
- Lighting changes at some locations to provide better visibility.
- Shifted tapestry in CT sniper room up and made it lighter color to make players more visible against it.

[BLACK GOLD]

- Removed collisions on red light above B doorway (Long B).
- Simplified drill tower bases and pipes based on Operation feedback.
- Fixed lighting issues on warehouse support beams.

[UI]

- By popular demand, added a 6th crosshair style (cl_crosshairstyle 5) which emulates the non-dynamic behavior of 1.6 and Source.
Just like the previous versions of CS, this crosshair does not accurately portray current weapon accuracy, spread or recoil, but does provide feedback about whether or not you are currently firing a weapon. If you are a new player or you haven't quite mastered recoil or accurate range, use crosshair styles 0, 2 or 3. They accurately show up-to-date feedback on your current weapon's bullet spread/recoil at every given state.

[MISC]

- All weapon cases, weapon case keys, operation passes, name tags and stickers are now marketable as commodities on Steam Community Market.
- Replaced "Death Comes" sticker art.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 17, 2014

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

I found that weird also, I really expected to be placed in novas. Maybe it's connected to some achievements or play hours ? I went MM pretty much straight after buying the game ( i played few casual games before it ).

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
My headshot percentage is 37%

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Necc0 posted:

- All weapon cases, weapon case keys, operation passes, name tags and stickers are now marketable as commodities on Steam Community Market.

This is pretty huge.

[Edit] I just realized this doesn't apply to guns (presumably because you can sell named/stickered guns and two FN guns don't look exactly the same), so it's not as big a deal as I originally thought. Still, should make the case speculation market way more transparent.

aborn fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 17, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
When I smurf, I'll often top frag while losing, and I've never ranked up on a loss.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

augustob posted:

This is pretty huge.

Valve please add a 10 Year Veteran coin so I can sell it to some teenager for an unreasonable sum who desperately wants e-cred

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Enter WONID here to acquire 15 year coin.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I missed u guys :h:

Toonami Tom: Good times......With good friends ;- ) comin up next...on GOON men....

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

mcvey posted:

Enter WONID here to acquire 15 year coin.

:smug: Done.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Necc0 posted:

this crosshair does not accurately portray current weapon accuracy, spread or recoil, but does provide feedback about whether or not you are currently firing a weapon.

Good. I've spent years wondering whether or not I've been firing a weapon in CS.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Do any of the dynamic crosshair styles open up when you move but not when you shoot? I think that would be helpful for idiots like me who let of the first shot before they're completely stopped sometimes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAfMIj89gc

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Has This Ever Been posted before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w67r1NC4dMs

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Necc0 posted:

- Replaced "Death Comes" sticker art.

That's a pretty sick burn on the speculators who thought it would become contraband. They peaked at $7.50 and crashed back down to $0.40 now. :newlol:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Really enjoying playing Insertion. It's the perfect map for aggressive AWPing, I've found. Especially if you're on defense; normally you can get around CT spawns if you're quick, and pick people off as they're moving past you.

Even better if only 1 or 2 spawn on the hill you've chosen.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I kinda want the Desert Strike m4a4, it looks Tron-y like my Cyrex and Vulcan.

Then I could flip my knife and FN Howl for something very nice~

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 17, 2014

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Please add a nsfl tag & trigger warning next time man... I mean I wanna die after watching that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It hurts to watch that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xoidanor posted:

It hurts to watch that.
From laughing so hard. That's the type of stuff you do on purpose to become a legend or to go for the fabled knife backstab clutch+fall death combination, but this guy was just hilariously incompetent.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Really enjoying playing Insertion. It's the perfect map for aggressive AWPing, I've found. Especially if you're on defense; normally you can get around CT spawns if you're quick, and pick people off as they're moving past you.

Even better if only 1 or 2 spawn on the hill you've chosen.

I guess you're one of those invisible bastards who gently caress me up on that map.

• Locked thread