Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

karl fungus posted:

Speaking of obsolete services, here's something on Prodigy: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/where-online-services-go-when-they-die/374099/

On a related note, I'm curious as to how online shopping worked in the early days around the late 80s and early 90s. Was it just as simple as providing a credit card number and having things shipped to your door? How secure was any of this?

I have a vague memory in the mid 90s of my mother calling Epic Megagames on the phone to order Jazz Jackrabbit for me. They then e-mailed us a one time link to download the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

quote:

Doary said the decision will result in one employee layoff.

Clearly business was booming!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

For starters, file attachments on email are unsolicited. You could send a large file to me, regardless if you know me or not and fill up my mail box or impede mail delivery.

Secondly, in almost all cases, you can not trust users to manage anything about their accounts. In many cases, even if you make the defaults "most secure", you will have people who don't know what they messing up their accounts to allow things they shouldn't (or people maliciously altering other peoples account settings).

Finally, while storage is cheap, pretty universally, I personally manage a about 2 dozen remote sites for my company that have T1 dedicated circuits to our HQ and maybe 3Mbps/1Mbps internet connections serving anywhere from 20 to 80 people, plus inventory management and shipping systems. That combined with my first point makes unrestricted file sizes a potentially disruptive thing when used by average users

Email isn't likely to go away anytime soon, but I think it will continue to consolidate in to fewer and fewer providers (more and more corporations are moving to cloud based email with Microsoft or Google rather than internally hosted). And I expect these providers to eventually move to some kind of newer email protocol that they use between each other that has more trust and verification of senders involved. If that ever happens, I personally think that SMTP as it is to day may eventually die off because the only people who would continue to use it would be spammers.

Google is in the process of opening the gmail API, I think.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Albums are great, and if you (in the general sense) don't have the patience to sit through A Love Supreme or Abbey Road or The Dark Side of the Moon or Fear of a Black Planet and appreciate the music as a coherent whole, that is absolutely your problem, not the medium's format's.

Also, how did everyone just let this go?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Congratulations, you don't like most pre-60s popular music. (Nor a shitload of 60s popular music.)

Jerry Cotton posted:

I said congratulations do you not know what congratulations are?
Congratulations, you (in the specific sense) are a disingenuous rear end in a top hat! Christ, twelve-year-olds aren't this obnoxious.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jul 16, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Albums are great, and if you (in the general sense) don't have the patience to sit through A Love Supreme or Abbey Road or The Dark Side of the Moon or Fear of a Black Planet and appreciate the music as a coherent whole, that is absolutely your problem, not the medium's format's.

Also, how did everyone just let this go?

Congratulations, you (in the specific sense) are a disingenuous rear end in a top hat! Christ, twelve-year-olds aren't this obnoxious.

While I agree, I kind of just wanted to let it go and let the argument end. This is a good thread, unlike my and Jerry Cotton's posts during that slapfight.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Albums are great. So are singles. The problem is trying to force all music to conform to one model, because some stuff is better as an album and other stuff just wants to be singles.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Still on the topic of albums/records but going away from "the concept of the 'album' is good/bad" here's a greybeard blabbing about records that glow in the dark and those that glow under blacklight. Neat stuff, seems like something followers of this thread would enjoy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

p-hop posted:

Still on the topic of albums/records but going away from "the concept of the 'album' is good/bad" here's a greybeard blabbing about records that glow in the dark and those that glow under blacklight. Neat stuff, seems like something followers of this thread would enjoy.

Where's the blabbing give us the blabbing!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well obviously I'm glad Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds exists but about 100% of all albums contain filler.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I wish people would respond to posts, not arguments they make up in their own head. Do you want me to list a hundred or a thousand or ten thousand albums that absolutely exist just because it's the go-to format, not because there's an album's worth of good or even decent music on them? Because it would not be hard to come up with them and you know it as well as I do. (I won't do it of course.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Jul 17, 2014

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wish people would respond to posts, not arguments they make up in their own head. Do you want me to list a hundred or a thousand or ten thousand albums that absolutely exist just because it's the go-to format, not because there's an album's worth of good or even decent music on them? Because it would not be hard to come up with them and you know it as well as I do. (I won't do it of course.)

Do you want me to list a bunch of lovely singles

my list will be longer

and I guess that's what counts.

e: You can't argue against albums because that refers to either a) just a collection of songs or b) a collection of songs held together by a unifying or common concept. Collections of songs are not going to go anywhere because musicians aren't going to make one song and stop. And if you're a good, prolific persistent musician, at some point you're going to need to organize those songs.

e2: vvv Thank you so much.

Manky has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jul 17, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You guys should chill out and watch this documentary on when, how and why albums came into existence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em4kpy1YuNQ

Much more interesting than this "I can name more x than you!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manky posted:

e: You can't argue against albums because that refers to either a) just a collection of songs or b) a collection of songs held together by a unifying or common concept. Collections of songs are not going to go anywhere because musicians aren't going to make one song and stop. And if you're a good, prolific persistent musician, at some point you're going to need to organize those songs.

Well no I'm not against a. I guess I should've said "studio albums" although maybe that's ambiguous as well?

Fake edit: This is what started it all so it's obvious I'm not arguing against a: "Of course the concept of an album as a more or less monolithic or cohesive work of art as opposed to just a format was pretty much set up to fail from the start, and will hopefully be rarely used if not obsolete in my life time." I added emphasis to what was my original point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sir_Substance posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that given how cheap storage space and bandwidth are these days, it would be totally practical for most places to just give everyone a 1/5/10GB mailbox limit (whatever you like based on org size) and let them manage it themselves.

This is a management issue, not a technical one. You can do exactly this for not a terrible amount of money (compared to revenue, at least,) but every one of those users is going to run straight into that limit and bitch at IT about how they need more space.

99% of "Why is TECH THING still done this way?" can be answered with "Management and/or budgets."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In general you need an album to build a promotional push around, it is a nice easy to manage chunk of (generally) a yearly release that you can then create a tour out of and do the promotional / merchandising rounds.

It's not much more than that, it makes sense just like anything else (yearly sports finals, whatever you want to choose as an example works).

The idea that albums were created as some sort of artistic statement is :lol: and was only adopted as such (successfully in a lot of cases) later on.

That's why they won't go away, even though singles are more popular than ever.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well no I'm not against a. I guess I should've said "studio albums" although maybe that's ambiguous as well?

Fake edit: This is what started it all so it's obvious I'm not arguing against a: "Of course the concept of an album as a more or less monolithic or cohesive work of art as opposed to just a format was pretty much set up to fail from the start, and will hopefully be rarely used if not obsolete in my life time." I added emphasis to what was my original point.
So, because of Sturgeon's Law, you'd prefer that nobody tries to make the most of the format? Of course there are going to be lovely albums; it's inevitable, with so many bands and solo musicians, that not everything can be perfect or even good. Maybe if I listened to more disposable radio pop (a genre whose albums are basically defined by the singles+filler stereotype), I'd be more sympathetic to your point, but the idea that the concept of a "cohesive" album is "set up to fail" is just ridiculous. People generally write more than one song (which is why albums exist at all), and when putting them together, they generally want some cohesion. It's an inevitable consequence of giving a poo poo.

You're trying to argue that there's no middle ground between "completely disconnected songs that happen to be distributed together" and "excessively ambitious concept album", and that's plain wrong. Most albums, even lovely ones, have some sense of individual identity, if only because their songs were all written and played by the same people around the same time (and often because of conscious effort to give them that identity, effort which you seem to specifically dislike for some reason). Just read or watch or listen to almost any interview with a band or musician from when they're working on or have just released a new album; almost as a rule, they'll talk about their specific vision and goals for that album as an album. To divorce that vision, however weak or nebulous (again, Sturgeon's Law definitely applies, and sometimes people do just want to write a bunch of good individual songs), from the album itself is to fundamentally misunderstand the creative process that goes into the album.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Jul 17, 2014

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And you don't have to flip the cylinder to hear the other side! :corsair:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Weird Al released an album this week, then said on a Reddit AMA that it might be his last:

"'Weird Al' Yankovic"[/quote posted:

I haven't made any real plans beyond the release of my current album, but since everybody's asking... I'll probably just be releasing singles (possibly EPs) going forward - I really don't think the album format is the most efficient or intelligent way for me to distribute my music anymore. I highly doubt that I would sign with another label. I guess I might be open to a distribution deal, but... we'll see. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't want to have my releases on any kind of a schedule - that would be too much pressure, and it might actually start to feel like a JOB!"

Earlier, he has said something to the effect that unique songs are getting harder for him to so since someone is pushing one out to YouTube pretty much immediately.

So, at least for Weird Al, the album appears to be obsolete.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of music, I could have sworn in the 90s Todd Rundgren was tried to push a multimedia music experience that would let users listen to customized versions of tracks by essentially giving them some very low-degree of simulated mixing power at home: You could listen to a song as it was or adjust playback parameters of it to your liking.

It was for the CD-i, nothing more ever seemed to develop of this user-controlled music that I can figure out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_World_Order

According to a Q&A, it sounds like Rundgren was stating that the mixes were sort of pregenerated in a way and you didn't have access to individual components to alter on the fly.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I thought Al commented on his record contract about 10 years ago, right around the time the digital singles downloads were becoming popular, where he said it ended up sort of not being the best for him because the way it dictated how the label would pay royalties to him on singles from downloads vs. physical album sales.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There's also the issue of needing to keep up with what's popular; Weird Al's complained about some of his parodies becoming outdated before they end up being released, because the first ones written are held back by the last ones.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Out of all the people we could choose as a metric, we are going with Weird Al? :psyduck:
Is he still well known in America or something? Last I heard of him was Eat It or something in the 80s.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

peter gabriel posted:

Out of all the people we could choose as a metric, we are going with Weird Al? :psyduck:
Is he still well known in America or something? Last I heard of him was Eat It or something in the 80s.

He's been releasing daily music videos from his new album all week, so, um... yes?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

JediTalentAgent posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_World_Order

According to a Q&A, it sounds like Rundgren was stating that the mixes were sort of pregenerated in a way and you didn't have access to individual components to alter on the fly.

I also recall him rebranding himself as TR-i for "Todd Rundgren Interactive." It was in a Wired article at the time.

peter gabriel posted:

He's been in the social media "news" a bunch over the past week or so. It's vaguely topical.

vvv

Sham bam bamina! posted:

His music really would make more sense as disconnected singles, which is why he was brought up here in the first place.

Although the albums would usually contain one "style parody" and one polka, which were often more fun and less rote than the song parodies. I assume the song parodies are what move units though.

moller has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Jul 17, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

peter gabriel posted:

He had something of a comeback in 2006 with the "White and Nerdy" video, then his album in 2011 was a big deal because it was his first since 2006, and his new one is back to being "another Weird Al album". His music really would make more sense as disconnected singles, which is why he was brought up here in the first place.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He had something of a comeback in 2006 with the "White and Nerdy" video, then his album in 2011 was a big deal because it was his first since 2006, and his new one is back to being "another Weird Al album". His music really would make more sense as disconnected singles, which is why he was brought up here in the first place.

I had no idea, the whole thing passed me by completely, sorry!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
this thread, regarding albums:

To summarize: albums suck, albums are great, albums are both flawed and valuable, most albums (like most things) are awful, arguing that albums will either go away forever or are the most artistically valuable form of music are both wrong.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Prior to that, I think the last thing anyone really knew of that he made was the song "Amish Paradise," which came out in 1996. That's not to say he wasn't making/selling records in the interim--he just sort of faded away in the way that you hear about someone you haven't in ages and say something like "Bobcat Goldthwait? I thought he was dead."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Back in the 60s, it was not unusual for a record label to say to a new artist, "We think you have potential, but not enough to commit to a full album. So we'll let you cut a single or two and we'll see what happens."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in the 60s, it was not unusual for a record label to say to a new artist, "We think you have potential, but not enough to commit to a full album. So we'll let you cut a single or two and we'll see what happens."

Used to happen to a lot of bands when I was growing up in the 90s as well but usually they'd put out an EP (extended Play - usually 4 songs) then another and then merge them as an album if they sold well enough.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

This probably got posted before but whatever

The Sega Ir-7000 Communicator. This thing had basic pda functions and this battle mode which was like a very simple pokemon type game that I think had leveling, and if you had 2 of these devices you could play over IR which was very wicked.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Prior to that, I think the last thing anyone really knew of that he made was the song "Amish Paradise," which came out in 1996. That's not to say he wasn't making/selling records in the interim--he just sort of faded away in the way that you hear about someone you haven't in ages and say something like "Bobcat Goldthwait? I thought he was dead."

Running with Scissors (1999) had a minor hit with "The Saga Begins". Poodle Hat (2003) didn't land any hits though (though "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" holds a place in my heart as a Ben Folds fan).

He's never really gone away and even his "flop" albums chart pretty drat well.

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Jul 18, 2014

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

madpanda posted:

This probably got posted before but whatever

The Sega Ir-7000 Communicator. This thing had basic pda functions and this battle mode which was like a very simple pokemon type game that I think had leveling, and if you had 2 of these devices you could play over IR which was very wicked.

A guy I knew in high school brought this thing to school a couple of times and showed off the game to our group of friends. I seem to recall that we were all pretty impressed by it but he would never let us actually play it for ourselves.

Oh man, I must have spent a good fifteen or so years trying to find out what the hell this thing actually was; I didn't realize Sega put it out and there was also a bunch of other similarly colored basic PDAs for teens out at the time so apart from the game it didn't exactly stand out. So thanks thread, I guess.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SwissCM posted:

Running with Scissors (1999) had a minor hit with "The Saga Begins". Poodle Hat (2003) didn't land any hits though (though "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" holds a place in my heart as a Ben Folds fan).

He's never really gone away and even his "flop" albums chart pretty drat well.

And as someone else pointed out, his style parodies are way way better and don't age as badly as his song parodies. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnapb-30hA

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

And as someone else pointed out, his style parodies are way way better and don't age as badly as his song parodies. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnapb-30hA

Dare To Be Stupid remains a fantastic Devo style parody

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
mark mothersbaugh loved that song so much he literally tried to buy the rights to it for their next album

fake edit: meant to be a joke how each time I've seen this mentioned this week it seems to inflate Marks reaction, but I'm surprised no artist has rerecorded a style parody with their own "serious" lyrics so you get a chicken/egg situation

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pham Nuwen posted:

Dare To Be Stupid remains a fantastic Devo style parody

...with bonus pseudo-Bob Dobbs in the video

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

So, because of Sturgeon's Law, you'd prefer that nobody tries to make the most of the format? Of course there are going to be lovely albums; it's inevitable, with so many bands and solo musicians, that not everything can be perfect or even good. Maybe if I listened to more disposable radio pop (a genre whose albums are basically defined by the singles+filler stereotype), I'd be more sympathetic to your point, but the idea that the concept of a "cohesive" album is "set up to fail" is just ridiculous. People generally write more than one song (which is why albums exist at all), and when putting them together, they generally want some cohesion. It's an inevitable consequence of giving a poo poo.

You're trying to argue that there's no middle ground between "completely disconnected songs that happen to be distributed together" and "excessively ambitious concept album", and that's plain wrong. Most albums, even lovely ones, have some sense of individual identity, if only because their songs were all written and played by the same people around the same time (and often because of conscious effort to give them that identity, effort which you seem to specifically dislike for some reason). Just read or watch or listen to almost any interview with a band or musician from when they're working on or have just released a new album; almost as a rule, they'll talk about their specific vision and goals for that album as an album. To divorce that vision, however weak or nebulous (again, Sturgeon's Law definitely applies, and sometimes people do just want to write a bunch of good individual songs), from the album itself is to fundamentally misunderstand the creative process that goes into the album.

Just emptyquote'n this because: Yes.

As for failed technology, I nominate these:

Clam Clips

I can see where they were coming from. Staples aren't frendly to remove and damage the paper but hold well, paper clips are easy to remove and reuse but don't hold well. So somebody (probably a committee) designs these things. They were meant to hold strong, be easily removable, and reuseable. Instead they're kind of a bitch to remove, you need to use a specific applicator to put them on, and since they come in different sizes to hold different amounts of paper the applicator need to be different sizes. In the end way less user friendly than both staples and paperclips, but they're still being made so not obsolete, just stupid and failed.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So they're less useful binder clips? I had never even heard of those before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

BuddyChrist posted:

Just emptyquote'n this because: Yes.

:psyduck: I'm confused, but probably shouldn't be.

Are you agreeing or trying to say that Yes albums are somehow support or oppose the statement?

If the later, could you expand upon the point some? I can sort see the argument I guess since they shuffled the lineup some and things changed drastically then shuffled it again and kind of became a combination of the two earlier sounds yet still something else.