Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has a very...European sense of humour. It's almost Python-esque.

"What in the blazes did you do with the pigs?!"
"They've moved on. Sometimes you have to let go of the things you love."

:allears:

Divinity 2 is jank as hell but tons of fun if you can get past that. The mind-reading in particular - you can scan the thoughts of every character in the game for an EXP cost, and they've all got different inner dialogue.

There's also the demented rhyming arch-mage who hounds you throughout the entire game for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The XP cost on mind reading really deterred me. I never got very far in the game, so maybe the rate for earning xp ramps up a bunch, but early on a mind-reading seems like a big investment for little pay-off.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Strategic Tea posted:

From some of the early interviews, Legion was meant to be stalking Shepard for a good while before you meet him. Like he was carrying out his mission, but as he became more individual he latched into it as the only identity he had. But then console memory limits imposed a stricter recruitment mission order, so they wrote him into the end of the game instead.

I don't quite follow. Why would a you not be able to run that story line because of memory limitations? I mean it would just be exposition in the form of extra words right?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lotish posted:

The XP cost on mind reading really deterred me. I never got very far in the game, so maybe the rate for earning xp ramps up a bunch, but early on a mind-reading seems like a big investment for little pay-off.

You get a poo poo ton of experience in the game, it stops being a problem pretty quickly, but it is kinda bad at the beginning.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lotish posted:

You get far more experience from the mind-reading then you ever spend. There are entire questlines you obtain from mindreading.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Just finished Arkham City on normal and was letting credits roll. Joker had been leaving voicemail messages to batman all game. During credits joker has voicemail to batman signing "only you"

Made me laugh

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

donkey salami posted:

Just finished Arkham City on normal and was letting credits roll. Joker had been leaving voicemail messages to batman all game. During credits joker has voicemail to batman signing "only you"

Made me laugh

There's a small easter egg with the credits. Earlier in the game if you focus on Harley's pregnancy test kit in the Joker's 'office', she'll be quietly singing a song on the verge of tears.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alteisen posted:

My favorite Legion moment is in ME3.

After he makes peace with the quarians and has to go himself to the geth to give them their individuality, in his final goodbye, after Tali attempts to apologize for what her people did to them, he says "I know". He didn't say we, he said I know, it was a great moment that really humanized him.

That was a great moment, and I kind of wish they'd left it at that rather than having the characters discuss the moment in detail later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't quite follow. Why would a you not be able to run that story line because of memory limitations? I mean it would just be exposition in the form of extra words right?

Recruitment was meant to be a lot more freeform which means they would need to consider every possible combination of characters you could have with you on each mission for cutscenes and stuff.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I had the oddest and yet most thematically perfect glitch happen in Sleeping Dogs' Year of the Snake DLC. After the cultists put out their first bomb threat, the game glitched so there were no people or cars anywhere on the roads except Wei and the mission target. It gave this eerie feeling that all of the district's people had hidden in their homes after hearing about the threat, and everything felt so empty.

This game is awesome :kimchi:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Divinity 2 is jank as hell but tons of fun if you can get past that. The mind-reading in particular - you can scan the thoughts of every character in the game for an EXP cost, and they've all got different inner dialogue.

There's also the demented rhyming arch-mage who hounds you throughout the entire game for no reason.

"Maxos!"

quote:

You get a poo poo ton of experience in the game, it stops being a problem pretty quickly, but it is kinda bad at the beginning.

Divinity 2 is really hard up until the point you can turn into a dragon, then it becomes really easy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a small easter egg with the credits. Earlier in the game if you focus on Harley's pregnancy test kit in the Joker's 'office', she'll be quietly singing a song on the verge of tears.

The idea of the Joker actually banging Harley Quinn always gets me all :stare:.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Well he gets to ride his Harley

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I just started Sleeping Dogs myself and there's a wealth of little things I like about it already. I love how the character controls differently on stairs, the lighting effects are really good, the city feels genuinely lived-in and crowded(and just being set in a non-US city and having a mostly non-white cast feels incredibly refreshing), the dialogue isn't Shakespeare but is pretty charming. I was in a clothes shop but wasn't a high enough level to buy any clothes (??????) so I exited out without buying anything and the store clerk said "I wouldn't buy any of this poo poo either." :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

Well he gets to ride his Harley

Yeah, but in every incarnation out there the Joker is so painfully obviously gay for Batman (or at least warped beyond sexuality) that it feels really squicky to imagine him ever indulging in sex--even a twisted version with rubber chickesn and macrame or some poo poo.

--------

On-topic:

In Left 4 Dead 2 it never gets old to me how every gun model has a unique flashlight taped to it, often with zip ties. It took me forever to notice because I'm so used to a flashlight just being "there" in games like Halo and Half-Life.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

clearly you never watched the cartoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYSNUL2hrQM

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you ever read my post history you'll know that me having not seen B:TAS is a laughable assertion. I'm very well aware of all of that, it still gets me all :catstare:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Crazy people gently caress too you know.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

He just makes her wear a Batman mask....

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait so does that mean she was pregnant while I was beating the poo poo out of her during a boss fight?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Wait so does that mean she was pregnant while I was beating the poo poo out of her during a boss fight?

No, the DLC retcons it. You find a billion other tests which are all fake. It was a false positve. (i.e: they decided not to use the idea after they started on the DLC.)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
In the Injustice universe she already had a baby that Joker never knew about. :eng101:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

*sigh* I've explained myself already.

ImpAtom posted:

No, the DLC retcons it. You find a billion other tests which are all fake. It was a false positve. (i.e: they decided not to use the idea after they started on the DLC.)

Yeah they backed out pretty hardcore on the idea.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, but in every incarnation out there the Joker is so painfully obviously gay for Batman (or at least warped beyond sexuality) that it feels really squicky to imagine him ever indulging in sex--even a twisted version with rubber chickesn and macrame or some poo poo.

In the comic All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, violet makes a habit out of seducing, banging, then murdering ladies.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently you can catch your parachute on fire in GTA5, with predictable results.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jehde posted:

Apparently you can catch your parachute on fire in GTA5, with predictable results.

I'm not sure how you would be able to do that though.

I was screwing around with GTAV the other day and discovered in a police chase that if your car gets shot up enough in the rear area you can actually start leaking gas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dark Souls II is pretty good, but so far while playing it I haven't been able to shake the feeling that it just isn't quite as good as the predecessor. Its mechanical changes are great, with a bunch of little elements that would fit into this thread (I absolutely adore how they handled Hollowing), but the level, encounter and boss designs seem to fall a bit short.

Until I met the boss that knocked it so far out of the loving park that it might be my favorite boss in either game so far. The Skeleton Lords was such an awesome experience that I was grinning ear to ear the whole way through. The finale is far and away the best part, though: After fighting three giant lordly skeletons with different weapons, and a horde of smaller skeletons, the last thing it whips out: a half-dozen Bonewheels, the best enemies from the original!

And an unrelated little thing I loved, the est trap I've ever seen: a door that opens to a bottomless pit. Nothing else, jut a death drop. You're practically guaranteed to die to it, but it's too hilarious to get mad about.The fact that sucha brutal, harsh game has a trap that cartoonish in it is fantastic.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Cleretic posted:

And an unrelated little thing I loved, the est trap I've ever seen: a door that opens to a bottomless pit. Nothing else, jut a death drop. You're practically guaranteed to die to it, but it's too hilarious to get mad about.The fact that sucha brutal, harsh game has a trap that cartoonish in it is fantastic.
That's actually a shortcut, but you have to aim your jump through the doorway pretty well. Also have to be ballsy since that jump looks preeetty intimidating the first time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

smuh posted:

That's actually a shortcut, but you have to aim your jump through the doorway pretty well. Also have to be ballsy since that jump looks preeetty intimidating the first time.

But it's an amazing trap before you catch wind of what it's actually for.

I just sort of let the YOU DIED burn into my retina before I realized what I'd just done.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how you would be able to do that though.

I found this out by jumping out of a helicopter over the city. The helicopter veered off and hit the top of an adjacent building, causing it to explode and rebound back towards me as I deployed my parachute to land on the street below. Just the timing of it caused the flaming helicopter carcass to fly right over my head as I was floating in for the landing. The fire caught on to the parachute and caused it to burn up like 5 feet from the ground.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Your Gay Uncle posted:

When does Batman beat the poo poo out of Harley during a boss fight?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

oldpainless posted:

When does Batman beat the poo poo out of Harley during a boss fight?

He doesn't it's Robin DLC.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Until I met the boss that knocked it so far out of the loving park that it might be my favorite boss in either game so far. The Skeleton Lords was such an awesome experience that I was grinning ear to ear the whole way through. The finale is far and away the best part, though: After fighting three giant lordly skeletons with different weapons, and a horde of smaller skeletons, the last thing it whips out: a half-dozen Bonewheels, the best enemies from the original!

The way that boss works is that each Skeleton Lord spawns a handful of skeletons after it dies. The mage is the one that summons the bonewheels. So if you want to make that fight a lot easier/boring you can just kill the lords one at a time, wait for their horde to spawn, kill those and then move on to the next lord.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

smuh posted:

No jump required. Beat up the dog next to the ledge you'd jump from, point yourself at the door and then just walk straight off. You land right on the door.

My favorite thing about that game is actually the boss in that area, for two reasons.

1. It is completely optional, it just requires you to do some thinking about the area and some shortcut shenanigans.
2. The entire fight is A goddamn Smough & Ornstein trap that is fully intent on wrecking your poo poo. As soon as I walked in the room, I said "oh gently caress no" and within about 30 seconds I was facefirst on the floor of the arena, three lucerne-toting bosses waiting to show me just how good that poo poo weapon is

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

10 Beers posted:

In the comic All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, violet makes a habit out of seducing, banging, then murdering ladies.

Ahhh Frank Miller

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, in Watch Dogs NPCs will react depending on your 'reputation' (good/bad guy), which isn't really that huge in and out of itself. People will take pictures of weird stuff you do, try to get your attention if you're a good guy, take mobile phone footage if you're just casually walking down the street and so on. Naturally this can also be a hindrance if the police are called when you've been a bad boy and you're just trying to get stuff done.

However, the police aren't there just for you: enemy stronghold? No problem. Open fire into a packed street, or just into the air, and freak out civvies so they'll call the police in response. Find a good hiding spot and watch as the police roll up and get into a fight with the now very twitchy gang stronghold. :haw:

Oh, and the motherfucking spider tank minigame, which is basically Ghost In The Shell: Giant gently caress Off Murder Machine Edition.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jul 18, 2014

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

a half-dozen Bonewheels, the best enemies from the original!

BEST enemy? I hated those little shits in DS, and I hate them in DS2. :mad:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

cowboythreespeech posted:

BEST enemy? I hated those little shits in DS, and I hate them in DS2. :mad:

They are the best for reasons such as that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

If you hate the bonewheels in DS2 then you don't have a soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kazil posted:

If you hate the bonewheels in DS2 then you don't have a soul.

Not even a dark one?