Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

Save your game more :smaug:

If you're in the cube you're pretty close to the end? Actually wait that's the cube you can figure out the puzzle and get screwed over isn't it? Ahaha yeah save more.

My save isn't the problem its just a grind. I'm not dying or anything, its just silly. Trap me in a place where I am reliant on a RNG to get out? How stupid.

I'm also trying to advance a main quest point and the NPC I know I'm supposed to talk to doesn't give me the dialogue option required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I've noticed that both Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 have the same strange and very annoying problem of shots randomly failing to do jackshit to enemies (e.g. necromorphs keeping their limbs on despite multiple shots aimed directly at those limbs), which is especially bad considering that these are both survival-horror-type games with an emphasis on efficiently killing enemies to conserve ammo lest you run out and promptly meet a grisly end.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, are Resident Evil 4's controls annoying. Why did they have to go with such an overly-complicated, nonsensical setup and not just give it more conventional third-person shooter controls?

E2: Specifically, I'm referring to the fact that your character doesn't turn with the camera except when readying his weapon.

Doctor Bishop has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jul 17, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Going back to the Max Payne series discussion earlier, I recalled something that I think everyone, of all races, religions, political leanings, and ages can agree drags Max Payne down. Two words:

Blood. Maze.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doctor Bishop posted:

So I've noticed that both Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 have the same strange and very annoying problem of shots randomly failing to do jackshit to enemies (e.g. necromorphs keeping their limbs on despite multiple shots aimed directly at those limbs), which is especially bad considering that these are both survival-horror-type games with an emphasis on efficiently killing enemies to conserve ammo lest you run out and promptly meet a grisly end.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, are Resident Evil 4's controls annoying. Why did they have to go with such an overly-complicated, nonsensical setup and not just give it more conventional third-person shooter controls?

E2: Specifically, I'm referring to the fact that your character doesn't turn with the camera except when readying his weapon.

Resident Evil 4 practically pioneered the over the shoulder camera 3rd person action game. It feels super clunky now but man when it came out everything felt so mobile. It feels weird to judge a game on current standards when it pioneered half of those standards.

But hey, if that's fair game, when I finally played Half Life 2 years after it came out I found it to be a tedious slog in several places. gently caress the buggy section, it goes on so long. At least the airboat was fun to control.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Febreeze posted:

But hey, if that's fair game, when I finally played Half Life 2 years after it came out I found it to be a tedious slog in several places. gently caress the buggy section, it goes on so long. At least the airboat was fun to control.

I love Half-Life 2 but honestly gently caress the buggy and the airboat. It honestly says something about how they think of vehicle sections when you play Episode 2 with the commentary on and find out the best of the lot--a super barebones muscle car--was originally going to be a loving jalopy.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Febreeze posted:

Resident Evil 4 practically pioneered the over the shoulder camera 3rd person action game. It feels super clunky now but man when it came out everything felt so mobile. It feels weird to judge a game on current standards when it pioneered half of those standards.

I'm well-aware that RE4 was one of the first over-the-shoulder TPS games, but I really don't see how that excuses it in anyway for flubbing such a basic shooter-game feature as "your character always points in the same direction as the camera."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Febreeze posted:

I kind of have to be of a certain mindset when I'm playing the buggy section. If I set my own pace and don't mind poking around the scenery, it's really neat - a post-apocalyptic road trip with lots of little stories along the way. If I'm actually more looking forward to the fights at the end of Sandtraps and try to rush through it, it's a slog.

I do like that it actually gives you a sense of covering a long distance, but I guess it would be better if it was possible to do that without going on for such a long time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Doctor Bishop posted:

I'm well-aware that RE4 was one of the first over-the-shoulder TPS games, but I really don't see how that excuses it in anyway for flubbing such a basic shooter-game feature as "your character always points in the same direction as the camera."

Well, the previous games were traditionally survival horror and used fixed cameras to add tension to the combat. The limited mobility and narrow FOV are a way to keep that tension for 4's more action-oriented combat.

The one part I hate in 4 is when Salazar's right hand man comes after you. The sequence has you going back and forth a stretch of hallway while dodging the attacks on a particularly strong enemy. He's not invincible and you can definitely drop him but he's so tanky that using up all your ammo just to kill him isn't worth it in the long run. He's more of an enemy you come back to kill on New Game Plus when you have the infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter or a good magnum.

Sardonik posted:

Going back to the Max Payne series discussion earlier, I recalled something that I think everyone, of all races, religions, political leanings, and ages can agree drags Max Payne down. Two words:

Blood. Maze.

Those baby wails.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

I kind of have to be of a certain mindset when I'm playing the buggy section. If I set my own pace and don't mind poking around the scenery, it's really neat - a post-apocalyptic road trip with lots of little stories along the way. If I'm actually more looking forward to the fights at the end of Sandtraps and try to rush through it, it's a slog.

I do like that it actually gives you a sense of covering a long distance, but I guess it would be better if it was possible to do that without going on for such a long time.

Yeah, it was really cool the first time because there's a ton of optional content you can explore. Once you explore it all and/or figure out that you have no real benefit to do so since it's the modern equivalent of grabbing an ammo pack in Doom only to open up a monster closet that uses up all of said ammo then it loses its luster.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, it was really cool the first time because there's a ton of optional content you can explore. Once you explore it all and/or figure out that you have no real benefit to do so since it's the modern equivalent of grabbing an ammo pack in Doom only to open up a monster closet that uses up all of said ammo then it loses its luster.

If you don't use the extra ammo right away it's kind of let down by the dynamic resupply system that'll just crap out yet another box of SMG or pistol ammo once your health is full.

e: why do those boxes float in water anyway? Bullets are heavy!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oh, something different. Metro: Last Light has the game's only (named) female character in a sex scene with the PC after meeting him in person… three times? In the middle of an improvised medical ward with transparent plastic-wrap walls. Yeah, that really gets you in the mood. It feels like the developers were just desperate to show you some titties.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Doctor Bishop posted:

The game uses the same controls as the earlier RE games, just with a different camera angle, and free aiming. The controls work well for the type of game it is. You need to have the ability to walk backwards to back away from approaching enemies, it wouldn't have the same feel if it worked like any other 3rd person shooter. It might seem a bit clunky these days but that's a weird complaint too since the character always does point in the same direction as the camera, you just have to turn before walking forward.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh, something different. Metro: Last Light has the game's only (named) female character in a sex scene with the PC after meeting him in person… three times? In the middle of an improvised medical ward with transparent plastic-wrap walls. Yeah, that really gets you in the mood. It feels like the developers were just desperate to show you some titties.

As weird as that was, I chalk it up to people living in the metro having lower expectations of privacy.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was also kind of guilty of this. Hey, I've been caring for you while you've been in a coma for 14 years. Thanks for waking up and killing the nazis that just murdered my parents in cold blood, let's bang!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Any game that locks stuff behind multiplayer/connection to someone else with the game, especially if it uses StreetPass on the 3DS. Exclusive equipment in FF Tactics: War of the Lion, some of the trophies in Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, a million and one achievements in other games, etc.

This poo poo is fine with stuff like Pokemon. That's sort of the point of the games, and the Global Trade Station makes things easy. But man, the local wi-fi style stuff, or stuff where you can't search for non-friended players over the internet just doesn't fly. There's also the point where if I buy a single-player game, I kind of want to play, shock and awe, a single player game. Not track down some other person who owns it just to unlock a sword or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Isn't that place in Planescape where you can get a party member who if you miss you lose forever?

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. Every boss is a hilariously overfilled HP sponge. Elder Shrooboid is particularly bad about this.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Action Tortoise posted:

The one part I hate in 4 is when Salazar's right hand man comes after you. The sequence has you going back and forth a stretch of hallway while dodging the attacks on a particularly strong enemy. He's not invincible and you can definitely drop him but he's so tanky that using up all your ammo just to kill him isn't worth it in the long run. He's more of an enemy you come back to kill on New Game Plus when you have the infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter or a good magnum.

Or you could just use the Rocket Launcher you find not long before fighting Verdugo to blow him to pieces in a single shot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Verdugo even wags his finger at you, T-1000 style, if you miss with the rocket launcher.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Takezio posted:

I just jumped in Saints Row IV and started falling from 250 thousand meters in the air, which I assume is the maximum height. And now I'm just screwing around, waiting, wishing I had that Death From Above, but I don't. This...This is going to take a while. Here's hoping this isn't a recurring thing, like next time I jump, or something.

That's definitely a bug. Fully maxed out Super Jump held down for a stupid amount of time won't even get you to the top of the tallest building.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Febreeze posted:

This is going to sound very pedantic, but I'd argue that it popularized the third person over-the-shoulder camera. I'd give the Splinter Cell series the pioneer status, since the first game and Pandora Tomorrow both came out before Resident Evil 4. I'm not aware of any games prior using that specific kind of camera.

===

Now for content, I've been replaying Hitman: Contracts and there have been things that made me reconsider recommending it to people who have just played Blood Money (it's sequel and generally considered the best game in the series). The game is pretty terrible at communicating why people suddenly start shooting at you sometimes. For example, in the mission with the biker gang they never explain that there is a difference between disguises. You have prospects and members, with the former not allowed to be in the clubhouse. Only if you kill someone, take their clothes and have their body be found you will get a message ("guards are now looking for a suspicious biker prospect") indicating that perhaps not all bikers are equal.

There's also just plain dumb poo poo. For a while I struggled with a mission where you can place a bomb in a limousine. The only way to be able to place that bomb is by disguising as the chauffeur. But to obtain that disguise you need to take the chauffeur out. At that point there's no one to drive the limo... right?

Turns out if you wait the limo will drive away automatically, even if nobody is behind the wheel! You can probably chill with the chauffeur disguise near the limo and get run over if you're in the way.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Sardonik posted:

Blood. Maze.

The drug-induced, green flecks falling, subtly pulsing screen, tiny blood trails, baby crying in the background, floaty jumping physics blood maze in particular. Also the baby screams in a way that can only be described as "blood curdling" if you go to a dead end.

I've played that game several times and I still have no loving idea how to get through the maze. I love the first two Max Payne games more than any person probably should, and those mazes in the first are completely indefensible.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Action Tortoise posted:

The one part I hate in 4 is when Salazar's right hand man comes after you.

His right hand comes off?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jastiger posted:

My save isn't the problem its just a grind. I'm not dying or anything, its just silly. Trap me in a place where I am reliant on a RNG to get out? How stupid.

I'm also trying to advance a main quest point and the NPC I know I'm supposed to talk to doesn't give me the dialogue option required.

If I'm not mistaken the Modron Maze is intentionally designed to be tedious or some poo poo because it's a commentary on poor level design in D&D games or something but maybe I'm making that poo poo up and it doesn't change the fact that it sucks to do. It is optional though so you only have yourself to blame.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just finished the new Tomb Raider, which was a whole lot better than I expected, but Jesus, Whitman might as well have been wearing a neon sign reading GONNA TURN ON YOU. Every time he appeared I started gritting my teeth and wishing I could just get it over with. "Backstab me already, you bastard, I know you're gonna, we could have called a rescue team with your telegraphing alone."

At least they didn't make him the secret mastermind behind it all, which I was half sure was what they were going for.

Also the sudden introduction of major supernatural stuff gets accepted a little too readily if you ask me.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just finished the new Tomb Raider, which was a whole lot better than I expected, but Jesus, Whitman might as well have been wearing a neon sign reading GONNA TURN ON YOU. Every time he appeared I started gritting my teeth and wishing I could just get it over with. "Backstab me already, you bastard, I know you're gonna, we could have called a rescue team with your telegraphing alone."

At least they didn't make him the secret mastermind behind it all, which I was half sure was what they were going for.

Also the sudden introduction of major supernatural stuff gets accepted a little too readily if you ask me.

Yes it was obvious that it was coming. But I like that the same arrogance that led him to betray you also got him killed. And Lara was still willing to reason with him so they didn't need to turn you into a cold-blooded killer just to advance the plot. And she was upset when he died not all "bastard deserved it." They kept Lara human and humane. It was still a bit cliché but not as much as it could have been.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Jul 17, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Judge Tesla posted:

Or you could just use the Rocket Launcher you find not long before fighting Verdugo to blow him to pieces in a single shot.

That's what the game kind of wants you to do yeah, but you get the Rocket launcher not directly before the boss, but randomly lying in a room with some game to go before you actually reach the sewer part. Plus, the launcher takes up so much goddamn room in your inventory at that stage that I ended up passing on it so I could keep my magnum and half my ammo. Then I got to Verdugo and was like "poo poo, that's why the rocket launcher was there".

My friend actually took it, then blew up a cluster of enemies not realizing he'd drop the thing forever and not get more ammo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I like to use the rocket launcher for the dual-giant fight over the pit of molten iron just a bit later because it's annoying to contend with two of them.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

The thing that made it insufferable is how oblivious every single other character is about his very obvious shady behaviour.

I was mostly annoyed though that all the combat leading up the the finale was the most fun I'd had in the whole game but when it's over, it's over. Those enemies show up nowhere else and I think unless you want to replay the whole game you can't repeat that area again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Any game that locks stuff behind multiplayer/connection to someone else with the game, especially if it uses StreetPass on the 3DS. Exclusive equipment in FF Tactics: War of the Lion, some of the trophies in Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, a million and one achievements in other games, etc.

I'm convinced this street pass stuff is basically designed for people who live in Tokyo and everyone else can just deal with it. I thought Devil Survivor for 3DS had a nice solution. Street pass stuff was also accessible with play coins, which you earn by walking around with your 3DS whether you pass anyone or not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm convinced this street pass stuff is basically designed for people who live in Tokyo and everyone else can just deal with it.

Pretty much! Traditionally Japanese devs couldn't give two shits about what works for a Western audience.

It's getting better in games, but Nintendo obviously doesn't care to budge much on a hardware level.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Levitate posted:

If I'm not mistaken the Modron Maze is intentionally designed to be tedious or some poo poo because it's a commentary on poor level design in D&D games or something but maybe I'm making that poo poo up and it doesn't change the fact that it sucks to do. It is optional though so you only have yourself to blame.

Yes its the players fault for not knowing ahead of time an area is optional and you can't leave until you actually go there. :wtc: how is that a justifiable defense to poor level design?

I actually finished PS:T. It was a lot of fun for sure. I just wish the endings had a bit more closure based on the decisions you made. I felt like it didn't matter what my alignment was at all and it didn't impact the game as much. I think the writing was great and I'm super glad I got to experience the game though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Jastiger posted:

I actually finished PS:T. It was a lot of fun for sure. I just wish the endings had a bit more closure based on the decisions you made. I felt like it didn't matter what my alignment was at all and it didn't impact the game as much. I think the writing was great and I'm super glad I got to experience the game though.
The coolest bit at PS:T ending was finding and grabbing Vhailor on the way. The way to the ending was rather tense, I think you actually had to remove him from the party during some events or he would have attacked you no matter what dialogue choice you chose... but it was hella satisfying confessing him that yup, me or rather that incarnation was behind all those countless deaths and poo poo, now what are you going to do about it? Upon which he gains a zillion xp and starts whooping rear end. One of the cooler RPG moments in my opinion.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Subtlety wasn't Tomb Raider's strongest quality. It had some great lore that spanned from ancient Japan to WWII-era soldiers to Lara's shipwrecked crew but the twists were so foregone that the reveals weren't anywhere remotely shocking when they happened.

As for the samurai zombies, I kinda ruined the surprise for myself when I browsed the multiplayer skins before their introduction.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm convinced this street pass stuff is basically designed for people who live in Tokyo and everyone else can just deal with it. I thought Devil Survivor for 3DS had a nice solution. Street pass stuff was also accessible with play coins, which you earn by walking around with your 3DS whether you pass anyone or not.

Bravely Default is pretty obnoxious about streetpass. The basic idea is that you have to rebuild the main character's home town. The more workers you have, the faster you can build and the more buildings you rebuild, the more gear you have access to.
But the only way to get builders is to use streetpass. So unless you happen to pass another person with a 3DS you're pretty much locked out of all the good stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

Bravely Default is pretty obnoxious about streetpass. The basic idea is that you have to rebuild the main character's home town. The more workers you have, the faster you can build and the more buildings you rebuild, the more gear you have access to.
But the only way to get builders is to use streetpass. So unless you happen to pass another person with a 3DS you're pretty much locked out of all the good stuff.

If you talk to the traveller, you could download 3-6 people a day through the internet. It's still stupid how long it took, but at least you didn't have to rely on passing people in the street.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

grittyreboot posted:

There's an online option where you can get randos off the internet to add as workers. I think there is a 3/day limit, but that still meant I had end game stuff halfway through the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

grittyreboot posted:

You can get new people daily through one of the menu options. It connects to wifi I think and pulls in people. So no you aren't pretty much locked out of all the good stuff. I finished the city and never streetpassed another person with the game.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Playcoins from the step counter are hosed too - you get one every 100 steps, that's good, promotes excersize.

There's a daily cap of 10 coins.

So when I went to Disneyland last year and walked 24K steps each park day I was pretty peeved.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pidmon posted:

Playcoins from the step counter are hosed too - you get one every 100 steps, that's good, promotes excersize.

There's a daily cap of 10 coins.

So when I went to Disneyland last year and walked 24K steps each park day I was pretty peeved.

There's also a hard limit of 300 coins at a time. And barely anything to spend them on (a hint in Link Between Worlds? Oh boy!) When I was doing 10K steps a day just commuting for months at a time I hit that limit quick.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When I heard about Playcoins I figured they'd be neat side things in games but the only time I ever used them was a brief stint of Animal Crossing where you could get Nintendo themed stuff to gather dust in your house for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Anatharon posted:

When I heard about Playcoins I figured they'd be neat side things in games but the only time I ever used them was a brief stint of Animal Crossing where you could get Nintendo themed stuff to gather dust in your house for them.

Charon will also accept them to revive you in SMT IV in lieu of Macca. Sometimes. When he feels like it. :v: Of course being able to save directly before any hard encounters cut down on that usefulness but at least they tried.